Guardiola talks strike

He just played his strongest team few days ago against the weakest team in the league and didn't rest one player. Same as Klopp.

I know it's a joke from other thread, but managers like Klopp and Pep and their competitivness is one of the main reason players are tired. Fergie would field different XI in two consecutive PL games, and he didn't have nowhere near strong squad as Pep does. Pretty sure last winter Klopp played Salah every time he could, even in pointless cup games.

I am not saying PL shouldn't have winter break, but if managers like Pep cared about players they could find a way to save them, easily.
Yes, thank you. Pep didn't make a single sub in the derby, but keeps bleating on about 5 subs.

I'm all for 5 subs and more rest periods, but as you say, Klopp and Pep don't seem to grasp that they are part of the problem.

Tarrou

can't we just have a proper moan about Pep without all you lot going on about him being right and stuff

down with that sort of thing, Pep's a cnut

DoneDaDa

Supports
Toronto FC
Yes, thank you. Pep didn't make a single sub in the derby, but keeps bleating on about 5 subs.

I'm all for 5 subs and more rest periods, but as you say, Klopp and Pep don't seem to grasp that they are part of the problem.
5 subs doesn’t mean they’d do it every game it’s just having that there if need arises. I’d argue 5 sub rule would be more beneficial for smaller clubs then the bigger clubs.

Daydreamer

Supports
Arsenal
Pep is the perfect person to say this. In the League, City benefit the least from a break as they have the deepest squad.

City would benefit in Europe, but so would all English teams.

Maybe Pep, Klopp and Tuchel all want breaks because that would be best for the players. In turn this would be best for the league as a whole.

How much the players are paid is irrelevant. The amount of money in your bank account can’t stop you catching COVID or replace the cartilage in your knee.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
I think the opposite he’s the best to say it. His team is in top form, no injuries, most of not all players have had COVID already and are double vaccinated, 5-6 players in the form of their lives, team performance is at an all time high, he has little to gain but a lot to lose of the break happens imo.
Nah. It's like Trump saying sexual harassment is bad.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
City have best squad in the league, didn't play in league cup this week and haven't been hammered by Covid cases like other clubs have. They practically played Leeds Utd reserve team the other day too which was less strenuous than a training session for them.

What a joker he is.

r3idy

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Maybe if Pep is so concerned about the welfare of people, their conditions and oppression in general, he should look a little closer to home the cnut !!!

KingCavani

Pep is such an entitled piece of shit.

There’s a reason there’s so much money in the Premier League and it’s because of the fans. If you’re so concerned about the players the fecking rest them.

Pronewbie

Peep
The inferior clubs who don’t have world class players on the bench? Selfish fukers...:nervous:
Where do they get their money from in the first place? If the bigger clubs have the same mindset we'd have individual TV rights. The 5 sub rule benefits all players. And it's the right thing to do in a period of fixture congestion.

Longshanks

Pep and klopp love nothing more than to pump there players full of stimulants and asthma medication and make them run relentlessly, to accuse others of not taking player welfare seriously is very much in the stones and glasshouses territory.

I think its all noise in some attempt to get the PL to have a break, they would love nothing more than a little re-charge of batteries mid-season so the players can work relentlessly for the rest of the season.

The festive fixture schedule is part of the unique challenge of English football, it sacred. If you don't like it, feck off to a different league, im sure there are plenty of clubs who will take Pep or klopp as manager. Of course they may not get paid as much or have as big budgets for transfers and what not, but if they cared about player welfare so much surely that wouldn't matter.

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
Some of the absolute morons in this thread…

What he’s proposing would benefit other teams MORE than it would City!

People saying he should shut up because of how good his squad is… it’s the other teams that need the break and the protection more than City ffs!
Seems like people are just mad at him for making PL a farmers league due to how easy he wins the trophy.

He has a good point, but everything in PL is about money, they have to air the games in East countries where Christmas isn't celebrated or not much of a big deal...so i guess there is no option.

Last edited:

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
Pep is such an entitled piece of shit.

There’s a reason there’s so much money in the Premier League and it’s because of the fans. If you’re so concerned about the players the fecking rest them.
TV rights mostly, not fans

And in this case, TV rights in many East countries where they don't celebrate Christmas, so PL has no option but to play to entertain people abroad as huge chunk of PL money comes from TV deals in the Eastern part of the world.

Blood Mage

I read the thread title as Guardiola talks shite and was about to come and say yes, yes he does.

Rossa

What does earning that much have to do with it? Such a poor argument towards it. Just cause NFL players earn so much we should ignore the brain damage issues and continue to let it slide?

I'm surprised so many people think Players should be run to the ground because they earn a massive wage.
Well, oil workers in the North Sea make more than on land because it is more dangerous and because of being away for so long in a stretch. Other workers like police and firemen in Norway retire at 57 because of physical wear.

Footballers earn 100x that, so perhaps them having sore knees at 35 isn’t all that bad? PL players are paid an obscene amount and more than most other leagues.

Norman Brownbutter

ask him about his bath time mishap
David Moyes has already come out and said that was a mistake and given the chance to vote again he'd vote differently.
https://www.tribalfootball.com/articles/west-ham-manager-david-moyes-rethinks-5-subs-rule-4346838
He said much the same thing before the vote, and still voted for it anyway. Anyway, city and Liverpool both have full squads. They can use the full roster and not have any issues. No one is forcing them to run the same 11 into the ground every game.

UpWithRivers

You lot are all ignorant fools. You just cant get PEDs that are effective for two/three games a week, they need time to smoke some weed, have some munchies and get over the downer.

Abraxas

What on earth is he waffling about?

One minute he's proposing a strike as an only option, the next he appears to realise the nonsense he's talking and completely walks it back suggesting he doesn't think there's a reason for one.

Guardiola is an incredibly intelligent man, but like most managers when you talk enough in public you are going to get caught saying some silly things. Some of them appear to believe they're a bit more important than they are. They are football club managers, employees.

Green_Red

I think the fans should go on strike and stop paying for merchandise and TV subscriptions.

Tragically Hip

Since some have mentioned Klopp in this, let's remember he started Salah in the last CL group game vs Milan with top spot sealed. Rotate your squad or go to another league.

Suedesi

Guardiola is right, there's too many matches as it is and players risk burnout. Just because they get paid a feckton doesn't mean their mental health and welfare is not affected.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper

They only want five subs to give them an edge on the bottom 3/4th of the league so they have more options when they put in a performance against them.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
I think this whole Corona virus/fatigue thing is being used to try and row back the Xmas/NY schedule. Pep and particularly Klopp have been crying about it for years. Now they're just using the current situation to mask.

I mean let's be real has there been one season when they've been in the league that they've not cried about the schedule?

minoo-utd

Premier league has been always like this. Now he is concerned about players welfare and holidays! Okay if someone not very much okay then rest them. It’s simple as that. But talking about a strike! This is absolutely shite from Pep.

Foxbatt

I commend him for that. Conte and Smith had said that it was like talking to a brick wall when they talked to the PL.
Pep is known to be passionate. He stood up for Catalonia too.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
You lot are all ignorant fools. You just cant get PEDs that are effective for two/three games a week, they need time to smoke some weed, have some munchies and get over the downer.
Not to mention deliveries can get disrupted over the Xmas period. They've probably been waiting a fortnight for DPD to deliver their EPO in time for Christmas.

Zen86

Guardiola is right, there's too many matches as it is and players risk burnout. Just because they get paid a feckton doesn't mean their mental health and welfare is not affected.
If only there was something Guardiola could do to rest his players

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Is the problem with schedule or 5 subs?

Didn't the clubs vote for 5 subs rule? Anyways during covid times, 5 subs should be allowed.

LazyGoal

A healthy fixture and well balanced season is in everybodys interest, but TV and the money that commes along.

With less games, the advantage of big quality squads is less. Less good players beeing squad players for the biggest clubs, is good for the next best clubs and so on.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
If a break means this Pep Guardiola is my idol stops rotating and screwing up my FPL team... Then I'm all in.

AndySmith1990

Thank god people who work in the NHS on far less pay and under far more stress didn't decide to go on strike when they were feeling burned out. Thank god the men and women who defended this country throughout history didn't go on strike when things got hard.

Sick and tired of people in football moaning when things aren't easy for them. These pansies who make a living kicking a ball and rolling around on the floor should shut up and get on with it. They live privileged lives of luxury and don't realise how out of touch with reality they are.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Is the problem with schedule or 5 subs?

Didn't the clubs vote for 5 subs rule? Anyways during covid times, 5 subs should be allowed.
I think some of the smaller clubs, like Chris Wilder at Sheffield United, opposed it because he said it gives the teams with more depth an unfair advantage. Don't think Klopp was happy about that though :lol:

Nicolarra90

He's absolutely right. He should quit the league this week and go back to Spain.

tomaldinho1

City have best squad in the league, didn't play in league cup this week and haven't been hammered by Covid cases like other clubs have. They practically played Leeds Utd reserve team the other day too which was less strenuous than a training session for them.

What a joker he is.
They also got bailed out last season by their very convenient covid break (Klopp complained about it and Pep got all defensive) which essentially gave them a 2 week rest. They were terrible prior and then came back and just blitzed the league. They still would have won anyway given how bad we were once we were top but he’s the last one who should complain. Covid favours him the most.

The solution to the fixture pile up is simple but no one in decision making seats wants to hear it because it means less money. Scrap the league cup (no other country has it) and have national teams streamline qualification tournaments. San Marino etc. shouldn’t even be in the qualies, sad and unfair for them but it’s true. Less games = better quality of games as well.