Guardiola vs Klopp

Who is the better manager?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
Guardiola obviously has a more stacked trophy cabinet, but you could argue that what Klopp has done with Dortmund and Liverpool is more impressive.

Who does the caf think is the better manager?

Bojan11

Klopp because I feel give him the City and Barca team he’d be successful too. And no doubt he’d win the league with Bayern but he’d probably have made a champions league final too.

Where as give Pep the Dortmund and Liverpool jobs and he would struggle especially at the beginning. Those clubs also wouldn’t be able to spend crazy money on four full backs in one summer to solve Peps issues.

Tyrion

Klopp is better. He's always had a smaller budget and a weaker squad but he's produced football just as good (imo) and won 2 leagues in Germany and a Champions League at Liverpool.

Guardiola seems to spend big on players for his specific template while Klopp is more adaptable.

Mcking

I'm a big fan of Klopp, but I would still go with Pep. The artistry and organization of Pep's teams is like I've never seen before. I rate Pep's in-game management too.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
What a nutty question. Nobody would even try to argue Pep vs Benitez and Benitez is a far better manager than Klopp.

Br1_ovi

Supports
F.C. Barcelona
Not sure if Klopp fits with a galactico-team. He is better to coach young team with no big egos that can run for their lives. In a galactico dressing roomw with egos (madrid) or an old squad (barça) he can't implement his philosophy.

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
Klopp is better - I wanted him as first choice when Sir Alex retired, above both Pep and Jose. Very cruel how things have worked-out :mad:

izec

If you have a top team/best team in the league and/or a lot of money, Pep. The other 99,9% of teams, Klopp is better suited. I dont think Klopp would work as well with some players/teams, just because his style works better with teams who have problems (but massive potential) and he can bring them to the top again. Klopp never managed an elite team, where he had to be successful from the beginning. He needs time and players to build his own team, and it works better with sleeping giants then already successful teams that want immediate success and good football. Passionate fans that he can bring on board also always helps and seems to be important to him, so i couldnt see him managing PSG or City for example. Liverpool and Dortmund were tailor made for him.

MouChou

Give them both limited resources... Klopp wins.
Give them both the same quality of players... Klopp wins.
Give Pep almost unlimited resources and high quality players while Klopp gets limited resources and above average quality players... Pep wins 10/10 times.

So the clear winner is Pep cause he aint stupid enough to go to a team who doesn't provide him with the most resources and highest quality players in that league.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
I mean, obviously Benitez is a good manager, but doubt any scouser would even say he's better than Klopp.
You sure? Benitez won 2 La Liga's with Valencia and proceeded to win a CL with Liverpool and an FA Cup too.

I would definitely understand it if someone argued Benitez is equally as good as Klopp.

Sir Scott McToMinay

What a nutty question. Nobody would even try to argue Pep vs Benitez and Benitez is a far better manager than Klopp.
Right, that’s why he’s the manager of Newcastle, and was a complete failure in his last two big clubs.

Don’t get me wrong, I rate Benitez as a very good coach and his understanding of the game is outstanding, but no chance that anyone out there would take Benitez over Klopp, not since 2012 or so.

Cmon now.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Klopp transformed his teams, Pep changed the way football is played today. It would be interesting to see them compete face to face over the course of few seasons.

Klopp is a better motivator — that's about it.

harms

Staff
You sure? Benitez won 2 La Liga's with Valencia and proceeded to win a CL with Liverpool and an FA Cup too.

I would definitely understand it if someone argued Benitez is equally as good as Klopp.
I think that Klopp is a better manager but there's really not much between him and Benitez in terms of their legacy. Klopp has time to change that though.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Klopp transformed his teams, Pep changed the way football is played today. It would be interesting to see them compete face to face over the course of few seasons.

Klopp is a better motivator — that's about it.
What did Pep change about how football is played?

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
The general consensus on here is that Pep is better with a world class team.

However, does anyone think that Klopp would have done just as well as Pep if he was given the same resources?

Thoughts?

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
The general consensus on here is that Pep is better with a world class team.

However, does anyone think that Klopp would have done just as well as Pep if he was given the same resources?

Thoughts?
I don't think Klopp would excel in an environment where he has to deal with too many star players. In that sense, I think Guardiola is better at establishing authority and getting the best out of a well-stacked squad.

harms

Staff
What did Pep change about how football is played?
I'm not sure how to answer that — if you've been following football since, say, 2006, you should know what. There are literally hundreds of articles and even some books going in detail about that, as he had changed so much.

Even if we're going to talk just about England.

Just a random stat:
Since 2004 to 2014 there were 26 games in Premier League where one team had more than 70% of possession. In 2016/17 alone there were 36; in 2017/18 - 63; in this one - 67.

Last edited:

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
We could have a definitive answer this time next year. For now, it’s Guardiola.

Steve Bruce might be a better Championship manager than Guardiola but I don’t think that counts for much in the grand scheme of things.

Casanova85

Supports
Cruyff/SAF
Equally impressive. Pep with Barça in 2008-11 and City 17-?? and Klopp with Dortmund 10-13 and then 18-?? Liverpool.

I'd say both have surpassed Mourinho, or are going to.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
2 League titles, a domestic cup and a champions league for Klopp in a 18 year managerial career. He's a great manager but let's not get crazy.

Of course trophy count is not everything but it's certainly something.

There's a reason why Guardiola gets the top jobs.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
2 League titles, a domestic cup and a champions league for Klopp in a 18 year managerial career. He's a great manager but let's not get crazy.

Of course trophy count is not everything but it's certainly something.

There's a reason why Guardiola gets the top jobs.
What makes you think Klopp hasn't refused some of these top jobs?

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
Mourinho’s Champions League win with Porto and treble with Inter Milan put him ahead of Klopp in the list of managerial greats. The game might have moved on from his brand of football but he’s already won enough to secure his place.

George The Best

It’s the Devil v The Deep Blue Sea question for me. Sadly it’s Klopp for me. He’s had to build, organise and motivate a squad without the resources that Pep has enjoyed for most of his managerial career. He’s done a brilliant job, but I would also put Poch in the same bracket as these two with even less resources. I think the defining moment for Klopp could be Saturdays’ CL final. I think he outwitted Poch by getting Spurs to focus on their pressing game. He did the absolute opposite, almost played a Jose type game. Pool had just 35% possession, unheard of under Klopp, but won because Spurs didn’t know how to react to the change of plan. Thought that was a stroke of genius by Klopp, though having said that, they got lucky with the early penalty.

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
I’m a big Klopp fan and hope he signs a new contract before long, but Guardiola is the best manager in the world imo. Yes, he’s only managed teams that were better than those they were competing against, but history has shown that it isn’t necessarily easy to win consistently even with great players. And as great as Klopp is, he still “only” has two league titles to his name. But it’s hard to make a fair comparison as they’ve managed vastly different squads with different expectations. It would be interesting to see how Guardiola would fare if he were to take over a Milan, Arsenal or Atletico. I do agree with those saying that Klopp doesn’t seem like the kind of guy who would like it at a club like Madrid or Barca.

CognitiveNeuro

Guardiola is still the best even though I support Liverpool.

It's interesting though that the last time Guardiola reached a European final was almost a decade ago and since then Klopp has gone on to 4 European finals.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
I'll never understand the proposition that Guardiola can't get results with sides that get lesser talent. Is proactive football impossible to implement when you don't have the best talent? Ajax and Bournemouth (amongst others) would beg to differ.

Guardiola for me is clearly number 1. Not because of his trophy count, but because of his football intellect and how that results on the pitch. He's the mastermind of the greatest tactical shift in football this century.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Klopp > Guardiola, Mourinho

Klopp's career really puts both of those two to shame by essentially rebuilding two clubs essentially on their own resources unlike Mourinho and Pep who relied on sugar daddies for large chunks of their career. I know this won't be popular on here either but I found Liverpool's CL runs this year and last year more impressive than Porto or Liverpool'05

Borussin

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I am not a fan of the constant comparing of these two, that the British media (and fans!) especially seem obsessed with.

The paths they have taken is about as opposite as you can get, and that makes it hard to compare. Guardiola has spent his entire career bar one season in the B team at Barcelona, with either the greatest player of all time at his disposal, and a superb squad, or a superb squad and more or less unlimited funds to improve then, and has spent an inordinate amount of money on improving those squads.

Whereas Kloppo took over a 2nd division team on the brink of being relegated to the 3rd division. And they where a team who'd never been promoted, and had little money, and he took them on before he'd even done his coaching badges. And followed that up by taking a great historical team in BVB, but who where in financial straits, and built them into this amazing team on a tiny budget. And then of course, took over the huge challenge of Liverpool and it's disjointed and bloated squad, who apart from one great run in 2013, had done little for years to live up to their history.

i am biased, of course, so I'll say Kloppo, as he's just done fantastic jobs at all these clubs, and done it while playing great football most of the time too. In my view, he has been an absolute blessing to football, on and off the pitch.

But there is nothing 'wrong' with Guardiola's path either, and I never get the call that he should take over a smaller / not as rich team to prove how good he really is. Cos you know what - why should he? The thing I don't like about him is his choice of team in Manchester City, due to their ownership.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I think Klopp is better at cup competitions while Guardiola can dominate leagues like no other.

Skills

Snitch
Higher budget too, let’s see how the FFP jury rules.
Who cares? You can give a bus driver a F1 car, doesn't mean he's going to drive it as well as Lewis Hamilton.

Mourinho at Chelsea outspent his rivals by more than Guardiola has done (Mourinho was spending 2 - 3x more than his nearest rivals) yet couldn't dream to play the type of football Guardiola produces regularly.

AFC NimbleThumb

Here we go again with another thread about our rivals. It’s beyond the point of no return now, this place is what for years people made fun of RAWK being.

We are genuinely obsessed with what everyone else is doing. There are countless discussions about Klopp, Pep, Poch, as well as every other player but our own & how great they are.

Yes. Klopp is a very good manager who may have done great things in charge of United. Same can be said about Pep & even Poch but there are countless threads with ‘United fans’ detailing the finer points of AnythingButUnited whilst a thread with people praying for the sale of our best player is gaining even more pace.

The thing I don’t get is there a multiple rival fans here who are treated with grace & manners, so why not head over to the opposing boards and continue the love in there - surely there come a Pep/Klopp limit.

This would be a boring place if all people did was talk United but we literally have a Champions League Final thread nearing 80 pages with numerous testimonies from United fans that mimic the ones in here. Klopp is a very good manager. . .

I just don’t see what it does to continue to focus on every other teams best points in one of our lesser moments - some perspective, Liverpool won their 2nd trophy in 13 seasons on Saturday! Fenway are not the Death Star, they’ve got a good thing going but it’s took time to bear fruit.

Stop torturing yourselves.

KeanoMagicHat

Reminds me a bit of comparing Pele vs Maradona. Klopp is the Maradona who gets into the culture of the team, becomes a cult hero and leads his team to places they haven't been. Guardiola is the Pele where he comes with better teams, but still elevates them to heights nobody else could due to consistent excellence.

You often hear "with a team like that, even Pardew or insert x manager could win the CL" etc, but you have to be a certain level of coach to get the respect of great players, as has been proven with the likes of David Moyes, Tata Martino and a few others in recent years, it's not as easy as it looks.