Guess Erik's starting 11 next season

Trequarista10

Ronaldo
Bruno ---------‐-------------- Sancho
Chong ----- Van de Beek -- De Jong ------ Laird
Maguire - Varane - Lindelof

De Gea

Obviously not ETH's ideal/long term strategy, but until we have a major squad overhaul over a few transfer windows, I think this is what would suit us best. New attack minded wing backs on either side would make it much better, but I think/hope ETH will be desicive enough to force players out who aren't upto standard, and give youngsters a chance until the right replacement is brought in.

Tbh though I think we will see numerous different changes in ETHs first few months, different combinations, players tried in different positions, different formations, until he finally either settles on something that works, or realises that the squad is lacking and unbalanced beyond fixing by a minor reshuffle.

Revaulx

Every signing we make this summer will go straight into the first team and be one of the first names on the teamsheet, I'm sure of that much
Don’t forget the season starts long before the window closes though.

United have often left it late to bring players in. I’m not expecting this year to be any different, given that many of the people involved in the process will be new. And they’ll have to learn from scratch, given that their predecessors weren’t exactly great at it.

diarm

Ronaldo
Bruno ---------‐-------------- Sancho
Chong ----- Van de Beek -- De Jong ------ Laird
Maguire - Varane - Lindelof

De Gea

Obviously not ETH's ideal/long term strategy, but until we have a major squad overhaul over a few transfer windows, I think this is what would suit us best. New attack minded wing backs on either side would make it much better, but I think/hope ETH will be desicive enough to force players out who aren't upto standard, and give youngsters a chance until the right replacement is brought in.

Tbh though I think we will see numerous different changes in ETHs first few months, different combinations, players tried in different positions, different formations, until he finally either settles on something that works, or realises that the squad is lacking and unbalanced beyond fixing by a minor reshuffle.
It would be quite the move, playing a relatively workshy right winger/forward as a left wing back. Brave prediction - fair play.

Eddy_JukeZ

Sancho - Ronaldo - Anthony
Fred - Bruno
De Jong
Shaw - Varane - CB signing - Dalot
De Gea

I'd guess something like that.

Elcabron

DeGea
Dalot, Varane, Maguire, Shaw
DeJong, Fred
Sancho, Bruno, Rashford
Ronaldo
This is the most likely starting 11 I think. Would like to see a new right back in there as Dalot is a big weakness in that team( he is the only one in that starting 11 who has never played well consistently,or perhaps at all). I'm fine with not signing a centre back this summer, I think having a component midfielder will go a long way to addressing the shortcomings in central defence.

Then when DDG and Ronaldo contracts expire next summer, we can use that almost 50m in annual wage savings from those two alone to help fund a few more signings.

Revaulx

Varane's injury isn't that serious, its a 2 week lay off is all.
All that intensive training and the pre-season games will provide lots more opportunities for him to get injured again :nervous:
If we manage to sign FDJ I reckon ETH will see those 2 as his main midfield and want to go back to his Ajax set up for sure. He's going to be the marquee signing of the summer for us. He'll directly replace Pogba and get his number I'd say.
By “these two” do you mean FDJ and Donny?

The former is looking increasingly likely, and I agree he’ll be a starter from the off. Donny though? We’ll have to see what happens in pre-season, but I’m far from convinced he’s a Sure Thing.
Given that the world cup kicks off mid Nov, we need to bed in new signings ASAP.
Depends on who we sign. If FDJ is the only marquee, and the rest are relatively inexpensive unknowns, I can see him alone being bedded in early.

The interesting one to watch will be a striker, and the way he will rotate with Ronaldo. Will it be another elderly one who won’t mind not being a regular starter?

Danish Wizard

De Gea
Dalot - Varane - Maguire - Shaw
Donny - de Jong - Scotty
Rashford - Ronaldo - Sancho

Keefy18

All that intensive training and the pre-season games will provide lots more opportunities for him to get injured again :nervous:
Possibly, I'd hope that over the season though ETH and the team actually improve on player fitness and in turn less injuries.

By “these two” do you mean FDJ and Donny?

The former is looking increasingly likely, and I agree he’ll be a starter from the off. Donny though? We’ll have to see what happens in pre-season, but I’m far from convinced he’s a Sure Thing.
Yep, DVB & FDJ.

He's gotta just drop them right into the mix immediately and give them every start possible to get the up to pace.

Depends on who we sign. If FDJ is the only marquee, and the rest are relatively inexpensive unknowns, I can see him alone being bedded in early.

The interesting one to watch will be a striker, and the way he will rotate with Ronaldo. Will it be another elderly one who won’t mind not being a regular starter?
CF is badly needed.

Nkunku possibly best option with Nunez all but done for Liverpool.

Maticmaker

Henderson
Daliot -Lindelof-Maguire-Shaw
Garner - Kante-DVB
Bruno
Sancho- Rashford
Ronaldo

Revaulx

Possibly, I'd hope that over the season though ETH and the team actually improve on player fitness and in turn less injuries.
Oh it’s absolutely essential. Our fitness and workrate has been crap ever since Jose came in. And yes, let’s hope that in the long term the increased fitness level leads to fewer injuries. In the short term I wouldn’t be surprised if it results in even more though.
Yep, DVB & FDJ.

He's gotta just drop them right into the mix immediately and give them every start possible to get the up to pace.
Well I’d be delighted if that were the case, but I’m not really convinced that ETH loves Donny to that great an extent. I reckon he’ll like Fred. We shall see.
CF is badly needed.

Nkunku possibly best option with Nunez all but done for Liverpool.
Yeah. It’s how the rotation with Ronaldo is handled that I’ll find interesting. Unless he plays two up front.

Keefy18

Well I’d be delighted if that were the case, but I’m not really convinced that ETH loves Donny to that great an extent. I reckon he’ll like Fred. We shall see.

Yeah. It’s how the rotation with Ronaldo is handled that I’ll find interesting. Unless he plays two up front.
What gives you that impression?

He was pivotal in their success together.

I think that'll be his preferred midfield, but could well be wrong.

Pronewbie

Peep
Are you living under a rock? Wing backs/full backs are arguably the most important position in the modern game.

Pep and Klopp have revolutionised the use of them and their importance in attack and retaining possession.
No I'm not. They have grown in importance but are still less important than all others. You've bought into the hype.

Let's invert the argument - which outfield position in your opinion is less important than the full-back? Follow the money trail..

Last edited:

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Ronaldo staying one more season is going to put off the likes of Nunez and Nkunku from signing. They won't want to share that role with him.

Revaulx

What gives you that impression?

He was pivotal in their success together.

I think that'll be his preferred midfield, but could well be wrong.
I know that Ajax are a selling club, but they had other players they could have cashed in on when they sold Donny.

I cannot believe that Ole was desperate to sign him, nor was anyone at United given the state of our scouting. It seems far more likely that Ajax were short of cash thanks to Covid, looked at who they would miss the least, hit upon Donny and Edwin called Ed.

I have no doubt that Donny is capable of more than we’ve seen from him in a United shirt so far, and am sure ETH is keen to see what he can get out if him, but I’m not convinced that ETH is already assuming that Donny will be a key player for him.

Revaulx

Ronaldo staying one more season is going to put off the likes of Nunez and Nkunku from signing. They won't want to share that role with him.
So it’s a punt on a youngster or yet another geriatric then? If the latter, which one? Giroud?

Keefy18

I know that Ajax are a selling club, but they had other players they could have cashed in on when they sold Donny.

I cannot believe that Ole was desperate to sign him, nor was anyone at United given the state of our scouting. It seems far more likely that Ajax were short of cash thanks to Covid, looked at who they would miss the least, hit upon Donny and Edwin called Ed.

I have no doubt that Donny is capable of more than we’ve seen from him in a United shirt so far, and am sure ETH is keen to see what he can get out if him, but I’m not convinced that ETH is already assuming that Donny will be a key player for him.
Interesting take, FDJ is the better of the 2 definitely.

I'd like to see the two of them get a chance myself as Donny I think is technically better than Fred.

Also I think FDJ will sit at the base of the midfield, with Donny being used as the link to transition defence to attack.

joedirt87

opening starting 11

De Gea
Dalot Varane Maguire Shaw
De Jong Fred
Sancho Bruno Rashford
Ronaldo
Starting 11 halfway through the season

De Gea
Dalot Lindelof Maguire Shaw
Fred De Jong McTominay
Sancho Ronaldo Elanga​

Revaulx

I'd like to see the two of them get a chance myself as Donny I think is technically better than Fred.

Also I think FDJ will sit at the base of the midfield, with Donny being used as the link to transition defence to attack.
Whatever, I’m very excited to see what happens and will be looking forward to the start of the season.

Given the changes in the backroom, I’m not expecting Rome to be built in a day. I’ll only be disappointed if it becomes apparent that we really haven’t learned any lessons from the past though. If we sign Kante on a five year £400k p/w contract on the last day of the window :nervous:

b82REZ

No I'm not. They have grown in importance but are still less important than all others. You've bought into the hype.

Let's invert the argument - which outfield position in your opinion is less important than the full-back? Follow the money trail..
Easy, CB, GK, Striker; give me a difficult one.

friendlytramp

More full of crap than a curry house toilet
—-———-—-De Gea
——--Maguire—-Varane
Timber—————————Shaw
——————De Jong
———-Hannibal ———-Fred
Antony————————Sancho
——————Ronaldo

Sam Johnstone, Dalot, Lindelof, McT, Beek, Eriksen, Rashford, Elanga, Martial

Last edited:

Kaos

I'm sincerely hoping we're not starting the season with Rashford at LW and Sancho at RW. For starters, Rashford has done nothing to warrant starting, and secondly Sancho is better on the left anyway. I'm hoping there's legs to these Antony rumours so he could start for us on the right, let Sir Rashford MBE work his way back into the side.

Revaulx

I would think so. The big striker signing will be next summer I reckon.
Indeed. No Ronaldo to upset.

As long as we don’t stop at FDJ and hope that “good coaching” alone will address our shortcomings next season though. We can’t stop at just one midfielder, and need a hard working and versatile attacking player as an absolute minimum.

friendlytramp

More full of crap than a curry house toilet
I'm sincerely hoping we're not starting the season with Rashford at LW and Sancho at RW. For starters, Rashford has done nothing to warrant starting, and secondly Sancho is better on the left anyway. I'm hoping there's legs to these Antony rumours so he could start for us on the right, let Sir Rashford MBE work his way back into the side.
Rashie will work his way in through pre-season

Trequarista10

It would be quite the move, playing a relatively workshy right winger/forward as a left wing back. Brave prediction - fair play.
I don't think he's workshy at all! Probably tge best attribute he showed at Brum was his industriousness!

Probably won't be an accurate prediction, but I highly expect ETH to take a liking to a couple youngsters and promote them over senior pros who can't or won't fit into his style. No idea whether that will be Mengi, Laird, Williams, Fernandez, Garner, Levitt, Mejbri, Chong, Elanga, Diallo, Shoretire, Garnacho or someone else, but I highly expect a couple will surprise people with hiw much game time they get.

diarm

I don't think he's workshy at all! Probably tge best attribute he showed at Brum was his industriousness!

Probably won't be an accurate prediction, but I highly expect ETH to take a liking to a couple youngsters and promote them over senior pros who can't or won't fit into his style. No idea whether that will be Mengi, Laird, Williams, Fernandez, Garner, Levitt, Mejbri, Chong, Elanga, Diallo, Shoretire, Garnacho or someone else, but I highly expect a couple will surprise people with hiw much game time they get.
I fully expect Ten Hag to develop young lads and promote them into the starting lineup.

I just don't expect Chong as a left wing back to be one of them. I could be wrong though - let's see.

Pronewbie

Peep
Easy, CB, GK, Striker; give me a difficult one.
I did mention outfield. Funny how you ignore the fact that players in those positions you mentioned are generally paid more and command higher transfer fees.. The spine is simply more important in football.

The top wingbacks that command high fees and wages like Cancelo, Hakimi and Trent would not have been converted from their midfield roles if they could hack it there. The position, being in the defensive corner of the pitch, plays a role in its relatively reduced importance.

I'm optimistic about our summer so

de Gea; Dalot, Lindelöf, Maguire, Shaw; McTominay, Fred; Sancho, Fernandes, Elanga; Rashford.

Notable subs: Hannibal, Ronaldo, Garnacho, van de Beek and Varane.

FrankWhite

Not Frank White

People seem to forget that Donny basically had a deal agreed to Real Madrid which fell through due to COVID. He wasn't some poor player Ajax were trying to palm off. Not saying he'll be world class all of a sudden, but I expect him to give Bruno more of a run for his money in that advance role this time around. That being said, I don't think he'll be the one to replace Fred as we need a ball winner in midfield. For that, I think either Fred starts or we get an upgraded version of him.

Maticmaker

And we still won't come anywhere near challenging with this lineup despite the one-man advantage.
Oh well back to drawing board! (supposed to have been Kante or DVD) . .
Would have broke the bank for Kante, but guess job st a pipe dream;)

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything

There is also a possible scenario ETH wanted to get rid of Donny?

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
DDG
AVB Varane Torres Shaw
Garner FDJ
Sancho Bruno Garnacho
Ronaldo​

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I'm gonna guess

-----------------De Gea-----------------
AWB--Varane--Maguire--Shaw
-----------------De Jong-----------------
---Fernandes---------Fred---
Sancho-----Ronaldo-----Rashford

Subs: Heaton, Dalot, Lindelof, McTominay, VDB, MejbrI, Garnacho, Elanga, Martial

Goes without saying more signings on top of De Jong will be needed