Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Raw

Not a thread about him on here, so I decided to make one.

What did you think about his debut? Didn't think he was that bad to be honest.

Wade3

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
He was solid, didn't commit many mistakes and stabilized us more compared to McNair.

Devil may care

Didn't do anything wrong, didn't really do anything, not sure why he came on instead of Young in truth.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
Said in his thread in the main, a couple of mistakes around the 83rd minute but his willingness to take a chance and try to make interceptions was encouraging. most of our play went down the left so we didn't get too see what he is capable of higher up the pitch where he really excels. There was also one very good interception which kept play alive for Schweinsteigers blaze over which he should have done better with.

There was enough in that performence to persist with in my opinion. I am biased because I am a big fan of his but I honestly think there is a special right back in there.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Way better then McNair was. Decent enough overall though. Clearly a youngster playing at the top level though, but I'd much rather see a real right back like him out there then McNair or Young even.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Looked scared to go forward at times, but that was to be expected when you're thrown on at half time in such a finely balance game. Apart from one very careless pass, he did okay.

m1y2

Looked scared to go forward at times, but that was to be expected when you're thrown on at half time in such a finely balance game. Apart from one very careless pass, he did okay.
I expected a bit more form him going forward as well but it was his first game, think he didnt want to make a mistake to be exposed much.. good debut for him though. Mata ahead of didnt gave him many posibilities to going forward.. let him start next game:-)

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
I expected a bit more form him going forward as well but it was his first game, think he didnt want to make a mistake to be exposed much.. good debut for him though. Mata ahead of didnt gave him many posibilities to going forward.. let him start next game:-)
I agree. We might have seen more from him if he had Lingard ahead of him and Memphis on the other side. We seemed to abandon the right wing for a lot of the game. You could probably give McNair the benefit of the doubt because of that too, as he had little support out wide, but he still made a go of it.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Unsurprisingly raw. Also annoyed me the way he half jogged back for the ball in the last minute of injury time rather than running to get it back to the attack.

Bestie07

Zarate sold him so easily before shooting straight at De Gea. Don't want him starting games right now, we have enough problems not scoring goals, don't need fullbacks getting so easily skinned by average wingers.

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
Didn't do anything wrong, didn't really do anything, not sure why he came on instead of Young in truth.
Agreed on his performance. No Young was a bit weird, nice to see though but weird still especially when you're keeping Fellaini on the pitch, you'd fancy Young's crosses to meet that man's head.

m1y2

I agree. We might have seen more from him if he had Lingard ahead of him and Memphis on the other side. We seemed to abandon the right wing for a lot of the game. You could probably give McNair the benefit of the doubt because of that too, as he had little support out wide, but he still made a go of it.
paddy mc nair is unfortunately not made to be a good right back he lacks any dribbling ability, he miscontrols the ball quite easily in these quick one twos and his finall ball is really inconsistent, its a big step up for Varela from the academy but apart the final balls and specifically crossing, hes much better in everything than McNair.

wiz4231

Zarate sold him so easily before shooting straight at De Gea. Don't want him starting games right now, we have enough problems not scoring goals, don't need fullbacks getting so easily skinned by average wingers.
You mean like Young.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Was quite impressed with his debut. Looks like a solid prospect who has the skills to actually make it here.

ravelston

paddy mc nair is unfortunately not made to be a good right back he lacks any dribbling ability, he miscontrols the ball quite easily in these quick one twos and his finall ball is really inconsistent, its a big step up for Varela from the academy but apart the final balls and specifically crossing, hes much better in everything than McNair.
He's 22 and is not an academy product. That said, it was an excellent debut.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
He's got potential, he's a bit of a late bloomer like Lingard but has much more potential and is only slightly less polished. Could go on to be very good for us if he continues to get chances.

khoazany

He's got potential, he's a bit of a late bloomer like Lingard but has much more potential and is only slightly less polished. Could go on to be very good for us if he continues to get chances.
Much more potential?Sorry but :lol: Different position though.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Thought it was a good performance. Nothing fancy, but he didn't do much wrong either. And perhaps mostly importantly, Varela wasn't overawed by the occasion. Dunno about his long term prospects at the club, but he can be a good squad reserve for the position IMO. Sometimes the players who aren't expected to do well end up surprising us all, so it wouldn't be fair to discount his chances just yet. Provided he gets more opportunities to impress of course.

prateik

It was hardly an excellent debut.. but he is a right back. And we need right backs. And he didnt do much wrong.
So I'd like to see him get more minutes. See if he can do the job for us.

Would be wonderful if he could step up.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Much more potential?Sorry but :lol: Different position though.
You can still compare potentials though. And yeah, if you'd have watched him for the reserves you'd know why I rate him highly.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
And if you watched the reserves you'd know why Lingard is rated highly. There is absolutely nothing to support such a claim that Varela has much more potential than Lingard.

You really can't compare potentials either as it is a completely made up unidentifiable attribute.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
And if you watched the reserves you'd know why Lingard is rated highly. There is absolutely nothing to support such a claim that Varela has much more potential than Lingard.

You really can't compare potentials either as it is a completely made up unidentifiable attribute.
And to accuse @khoazany of all people of not watching the ressies ? :lol:

RustyS

Darmian has hardly been that impressive of late so I am all for giving Varela some minutes to see what he's all about.

Did he put in any good crosses against West Ham? Darmian's crosses have been terrible (and then obviously when one cross came off there was no one in the box).

m1y2

he has surely bigger potential than Darmian, lets see if hes given run of games to prove himself.. will be also interesting who starts on the right against Germans, but I think its gonna be Young, he was decent at both fullback positions its a lesser risk than Varela atm IMO, Van Gaal would show guts if he started him

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
he has surely bigger potential than Darmian, lets see if hes given run of games to prove himself.. will be also interesting who starts on the right against Germans, but I think its gonna be Young, he was decent at both fullback positions its a lesser risk than Varela atm IMO, Van Gaal would show guts if he started him
I actually think we need Young more on the wings than in the full back position. Best combo would be to play Mata in the hole, Young on the right to cover for Varela and Memphis/Darmian on the left.

ottosec

Looked very raw for a 22yo, but maybe it was because he was nervous.

khoazany

And to accuse @khoazany of all people of not watching the ressies ? :lol:
Actually I tend to be a bit harsh for those who are not academy graduates though.Still Lingard has been too good for the reserves since long before Varela even arrived so I'm not sure how their reserves performances can be used to compare anything (they're about the same age).

Last edited:

Godfather

He had no idea what to do defensively. Not impressed. Better than McNair though. Can at least control a football

Roboc7

He did ok but like McNair he is a very ordinary player who is only involved because we are so short defensively, I'm don't think either of them are genuine prospects but sometimes players do surprise you and they are at least going a chance, there will be much better youngsters who won't even get that.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I hope to see more of him. I only watched him at the u20 world cup and he was good, very sound defensively.

khoazany

He did ok but like McNair he is a very ordinary player who is only involved because we are so short defensively
I wonder how you came into that conclusion after his first 45 min ever at this level where he has been okayish.

Status
Not open for further replies.