Guillermo Varela image 30

Guillermo Varela Uruguay flag

2016-17 Performances

View full 2016-17 profile

Status
Not open for further replies.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Van Gaal sent Nani on loan and some people kept convincing themselves that he wasn't getting rid.

The odds of the same thing happening here are high imo.
With Nani it was effectively a part exchange for Rojo, the situations are different.
I could give you a list as long as you like of players sent on year long loans that will never be seen again at OT. We've shipped hundreds out as a prelude to moving them on permanently.

A few might have a future but that list is considerably shorter and he's at an age where he should be much closer to first team reckoning.

I might be wrong, it's just my opinion.
Try before you buy situation I think
I would've thought an option to buy would've been included in the contract, with Varela having another few years on his contract too it does seem to me like Mourinho will be keeping a close eye on him, that's not to say he wont decide to move him on at the end of the loan of course.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Varela has a whopping 11 appearances of top level football and only an additional 34 senior appearances at lower league level. Loaning him out for much needed first team experience due to his very late start to professional football is in no way comparable to loaning an established player with 300+ appearances at a top level like Nani.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
Varela has a whopping 11 appearances of top level football and only an additional 34 senior appearances at lower league level. Loaning him out for much needed first team experience due to his very late start to professional football is in no way comparable to loaning an established player with 300+ appearances at a top level like Nani.
This. It can only do him good.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
That 1 mistake against Coutinho really cost him. He will have a good career elsewhere though.

the unknown one.

The raven sits ever watchful above my chamber door
That 1 mistake against Coutinho really cost him. He will have a good career elsewhere though.
I still believe he can make it here, despite his age he has had very little top level match time and this loan could be crucial for him.

If he get 30/40 games in all competitions in Germany, he will have one final chance to impress next summer.

Full bodied red

Considering our RB options atm of Valencia, Darmian, TFM and even Young and Jones in an emergency, it was a few too many....

However, I rate Varela highly and would have kept him and let Jones or Young find another club and used Valencia as a back-up RW....

Boycott

If Moyes had any sense he would have signed Varela instead of McNair and Love.

Shows his inability to assess and judge players even when he has managed them at previous clubs.
Well that was never happening simply because Moyes was appointed Sunderland manager on the same day Varela's loan to Frankfurt was confirmed.

zeekey

Has come out and said he wants to join Frankfurt permanently. Manchester is evil and Frankfurt is wonderous etc. Until they say they don't want him and he comes back saying his was misinterpreted obviously.

Devil81

He can't defend for toffee, he was fantastic going forward but his positional sense is poor.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Still have visions of Coutinho absolutely doing him down the wing in last year's Europa.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Has come out and said he wants to join Frankfurt permanently. Manchester is evil and Frankfurt is wonderous etc. Until they say they don't want him and he comes back saying his was misinterpreted obviously.
I can see why he would want to join them permanently, he just got a few token opportunities and nothing indicates that would change. I doubt he said we are evil.

zeekey

I can see why he would want to join them permanently, he just got a few token opportunities and nothing indicates that would change. I doubt he said we are evil.
I might have paraphrased.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
From what I could find he said Manchester is industrial while Frankfurt is a booming city. So nothing about the club.

Shuriken

Apparently played as a midfielder today against Leipzig. I didn't watch the match so I don't know how he fared, but it does sound interesting.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Apparently played as a midfielder today against Leipzig. I didn't watch the match so I don't know how he fared, but it does sound interesting.
He's played there before as a DM for us.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Thanks for the info. I'll try and watch this later.

For what it's worth, I think he'd make a fine CM and have done for a while. It didn't surprise me to see him play a few minutes there for us in the preseason and it doesn't surprise me here. I'm looking forward to seeing how he coped as I like Leipzig, too.

Loublaze

ATLien
He'll be the first announced transfer away from the club. He's not tall enough to be a Mourinho fullback or CM.

Bojan11

He'll be the first announced transfer away from the club. He's not tall enough to be a Mourinho fullback or CM.
You mean like giants such as Ashley Cole, Azpilicueta, Valencia, Marcelo and Coentrao.

So maybe he's not good enough? Did you think of that one before his height?

PepsiCola

I thought he was quite good for us, set up or played a part in most of Rashford's early goals I'm sure.

Was dire in the Liverpool europa league ties, along with pretty much everyone United player on the field.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
You mean like giants such as Ashley Cole, Azpilicueta, Valencia, Marcelo and Coentrao.

Its comparably illogical to presume he isn't good enough when he hasn't played due to injury.

Last edited:

Loublaze

ATLien

He's more diminutive than all of those guys you mentioned, granted not by much when it comes to Marcelo and Cole. All of them also had established reputations and were internationals before Mourinho signed or inherited them. Im just suggesting one reason why Mourinho wouldn't fancy him.

Jaybomb

I really liked the look of him last season. Looked the aggressive pacey type. Loaning him out was a poor decision. He has his uses as a backup for sure.

Nick7

What an idiot :lol: for those that don't know, he got a new tattoo and it's been infected. So he's ruled out of the DFB Pokal final.

Status
Not open for further replies.