Gun control

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Some sanity:

"The gunman who opened fire in Dayton, Ohio early Sunday killed nine people and wounded 14 in just 32 seconds before police responded and took him down.

Dayton, along with the shooting at an El Paso, Texas Walmart the day before, are the most recent mass shootings that show how, despite the presence of trained officers and armed civilians—the people the National Rifle Association would call “good guys with guns”—gunmen can inflict horrific casualty counts within seconds, before anyone can respond. Experts on violent crime say such incidents make clear that despite the NRA’s post-Sandy Hook justification, relaxing gun laws to let more people to arm themselves has done nothing to prevent mass shootings.

It’s likely to make things worse if armed civilians intervene when shootings erupt in public places, says John Donohue, a Stanford Law School professor whose research has focused on gun violence and policy. “Unless you’re very well trained, you usually add more to the body count than you subtract,” Donohue says."

https://time.com/5644578/good-guys-with-guns-el-paso-dayton/?utm_source=reddit.com

Carolina Red

Staff
I’m guessing they’re in Texas.

Granted, gun laws in states don’t ban openly carrying long guns because it wouldn’t make sense when hunting with long guns is legal, but...

Texas state law does also state that a person has committed an offense if they openly carry a gun in a way to cause alarm.

https://statutes.capitol.texas.gov/Docs/PE/htm/PE.42.htm

Big difference in carrying a bolt action .30-06 into the woods vs. carrying a loaded AR15 into a coffee shop.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Some sanity:

"The gunman who opened fire in Dayton, Ohio early Sunday killed nine people and wounded 14 in just 32 seconds before police responded and took him down.

Dayton, along with the shooting at an El Paso, Texas Walmart the day before, are the most recent mass shootings that show how, despite the presence of trained officers and armed civilians—the people the National Rifle Association would call “good guys with guns”—gunmen can inflict horrific casualty counts within seconds, before anyone can respond. Experts on violent crime say such incidents make clear that despite the NRA’s post-Sandy Hook justification, relaxing gun laws to let more people to arm themselves has done nothing to prevent mass shootings.

It’s likely to make things worse if armed civilians intervene when shootings erupt in public places, says John Donohue, a Stanford Law School professor whose research has focused on gun violence and policy. “Unless you’re very well trained, you usually add more to the body count than you subtract,” Donohue says."

https://time.com/5644578/good-guys-with-guns-el-paso-dayton/?utm_source=reddit.com
They need to limit civilian rifle magazines to five rounds immediately and make it a criminal offence to possess anything with a greater capacity punishable by 20 years or $75k fine.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
This just popped up on Facebook.
Thank God they have those guns. I can see how much they need them.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
We had an incident 100m from my work yesterday but as the guy only had a knife only 1 person died and 2 injured before the public attacked him and held him down until the cops arrived. Who knows how high the death toll could have gone if guns were easily available?

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
Imagine if he had an AR15. Totally different outcome
Yeah. Then there would definately also have been a good guy with a gun who, with no hesitation or regard for his own safety, could’ve taken the assailant out before any innocent lives were lost.

Sweet Square

I like this article by David Frum in The Atlantic. Makes the classic points very well, I think...
https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2019/08/guns-are-american-exception/595450/

"Like the threat of Islamic extremism, the specter of white nationalism summons Americans to defend their institutions and values against a repugnant, violent ideology. But it is not because the U.S. is uniquely afflicted with either Islamic extremism or white nationalism that it suffers vastly more gun deaths than the rest of the developed world. America’s uniquely bloodstained record of violence is a consequence of America’s uniquely reckless attitudes toward weapons of mass death."

Never listen to David.

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
Those back to school ads are just baffling. To even think about selling guns and school holiday/back to school sales is just mind boggling to me. The people that come up with those ideas are just broken.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Yeah. Then there would definately also have been a good guy with a gun who, with no hesitation or regard for his own safety, could’ve taken the assailant out before any innocent lives were lost.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
We've upgraded from trolley's to crates.

If only we all had guns though.

langster

Captain Stink mouth, so soppy few pints very wow!
Scout
I own guns but that’s stupid and I don’t get the point in walking with a rifle to a store, the other guy with the gun in the back shows me they are all loaded waiting for an accident to happen.
Owning guns is stupid. Unless you are a hunter. If you are then you would support maximum 5 round magazines and background checks. Otherwise you are part of the problem.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
I know several people who are hunters and have hunting rifles and hand guns too.
I have no problems with that.
But as @Dwazza Gunnar Solskjær has said, the clip limit should be 5 and of course a thorough background check needs to be done.
We need to also register these weapons.
Assault weapons should be banned and a buy back program put in place.
Lots to do.

But we have to make a start.