Gun control

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Speaking of gun control, I was working on my biceps today in a public park (Im one of those) and was send (sent?) away for breaking the social distancing measures.

Classic Holland, taking it too far.

SirAF

Ageist
Speaking of gun control, I was working on my biceps today in a public park (Im one of those) and was send (sent?) away for breaking the social distancing measures.

Classic Holland, taking it too far.
:lol:

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
:lol: 2.3 million licensed gun owners. 1 million registered pistols. 100,000 AR-15s and an estimated 24 million other firearms. And those are just the ones not smuggled in from the US by criminal gangs. Yep, Canada is a gun free zone alight.

Just found this interesting graphic comparing the increase in ownership of certain firearms and the homicide rate in Canada.

It's not exactly like-for-like, the blue thing should also be normalised to population like the yellow and green are.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
It's not exactly like-for-like, the blue thing should also be normalised to population like the yellow and green are.
I'm pretty sure Stats Canada, being a government agency, isn't telling porkies with their graphs. You can extrapolate the actual number of homicides if you like based on there being approximately 35 million Canadians, a good average for the period. What the graph does show is that despite the number of legally held handguns and short barrelled semi-automatic rifles almost doubling in the period, the homicide rate, both overall and specifically involving firearms, has remained constant. I think it goes a long way in showing that Canada's rather onerous system of gun control between 1995 and April 30, 2020 was actually quite effective and further restrictions were unecessary.

langster

Captain Stink mouth, so soppy few pints very wow!
Scout
Well that does not sound good at all
Unsure what's happened but people were protesting and the Police were firing off tear gas and high powered rubber bullets at protestors. Apparently someone retalliated, but it's unclear what's gone on as it's chaos at the moment. No clear reports anywhere but all reports I have seen say they heard shots fired.

The 4 officers have been fired but it's clear the residents are rightly unhappy at the moment. Given the fear of COVID and lockdown frustration too, it could be a disaster. Hopefully the Police can get it under control.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona

Urgh.
That only would work if people with firearms could shoot racist policemen. And the typical nutjob with firearms usually is on the side of the racist police

Revan

Assumptionman
:lol: 2.3 million licensed gun owners. 1 million registered pistols. 100,000 AR-15s and an estimated 24 million other firearms. And those are just the ones not smuggled in from the US by criminal gangs. Yep, Canada is a gun free zone alight.

Just found this interesting graphic comparing the increase in ownership of certain firearms and the homicide rate in Canada.

Why is Canada going crazy? Is there a virus in North America that is making people gradually dumber?

Dr. Dwayne

Why is Canada going crazy? Is there a virus in North America that is making people gradually dumber?
You mean the increase in restricted firearm ownership? No one's going crazy. The clue is in the terminology. We're heavily restricted up here, similar to California. No one can posess a firearm legally without a licence. We can't obtain a licence for the purpose of self defence (the application has three choices: hunting, target shooting, or collecting). We can't carry handguns on our person anywhere other than an approved firing range and then only if we have the right credentials (or perhaps your own home if you're into that sort of thing), we can't discharge handguns anywhere other than an approved firing range. It seems to show that the gun control we had prior to May 1st, 2020 was effective enough and that the government should turn their attention to the real issues that cause gun violence up here (we're a lot different from the US in that aspect) instead of trying to impress girls you like from New Zealand.

marukomu

The Gatekeeper
I wonder if guns were banned, would a lot of the police brutality stop. I think some cops are shitting it every time they go out and the slightest thing sparks them off. That video where the cop fell off the wagon the other day and then started spraying pepper spray at nothing. He looked scared.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

I was looking at Lyda Krewson on Twitter and found these pictures. How can anyone watch this and not realize that gun control is a massive issue to fix? That woman has her finger on the trigger and doesn't even look in the direction she is pointing her fire arm, she clearly isn't fit to be near guns. She may have the safety on, but the way she is handling it tells me that it may not even be relevant.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff

I was looking at Lyda Krewson on Twitter and found these pictures. How can anyone watch this and not realize that gun control is a massive issue to fix? That woman has her finger on the trigger and doesn't even look in the direction she is pointing her fire arm, she clearly isn't fit to be near guns. She may have the safety on, but the way she is handling it tells me that it may not even be relevant.
100% the type of people that will end up accidentally shot by their kids or something.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Those two look like they never handled a gun before. The man is imitating Pacino from Scarface and the woman is holding it like a water pistol. They could both be seriously injured by the recoil alone if they decided to fire.

Dr. Dwayne

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/...s-gun-smuggling-ring?utm_source=pocket-newtab
Arming the Cartels: The Inside Story of a Texas Gun-Smuggling Ring
Selling weapons south of the border is big business — and America’s loose gun laws are also devastating for Mexico.
Yeah, read this yesterday. Although it's an old article it was still interesting. And equally applicable to Canada, although the demand is less here (still, about 75 -80% of crime guns here were smuggled in from the US). Also, from what I've heard the ATF does keep eyes on gun stores within a certain range of the northern border, unlike down south. My only complaint is when authors obscure facts to push their agenda, such as below:

Invented by a Tennessee businessman named Ronnie Barrett in the 1980s and made exclusively by his company, Barrett Firearms Manufacturing, the .50-caliber is one of the most popular weapons among Mexican cartel fighters, surpassed only by the ere quince, or AR-15, and the cuerno de chivo, or AK-47. In the U.S. military, the awesome power of the Barrett is the stuff of legend. It can shoot through a wall of concrete block as if it were made of sheetrock, and has a range of more than a mile. Incredibly, this weapon is unrestricted for civilian ownership in the United States. You can buy one in cash, with no paperwork whatsoever, without breaking any laws. You can own as many as you like.
The passage above neglects quite a few truths about 50s because they wouldn't suit the author's agenda of promoting gun control through creating fear. Barrett 50s list between $5k and $12k. They're simply out of most people's price range for a firearm. It also ignores the impractical nature of most long range sniper rifles. They are not concealable, they are heavy (between 20 and 30lbs versus 7.5lbs for an AR-15), ammunition is expensive and they are not conducive to rapid fire or quick target engagement. Outside of very specific situations, they're basically the antithesis of the kind of weapon someone intent on hurting many people would choose, especially when you can get an AR-15 or AK-47 for under $500 and still have loads of money left over for magazines and ammunition.

But overall, a very informative article that highlights how the USAs lack of gun control hurts its neighbours as well (not that they care).

barros

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Where liberty dwells, there is my country
Yeah, read this yesterday. Although it's an old article it was still interesting. And equally applicable to Canada, although the demand is less here (still, about 75 -80% of crime guns here were smuggled in from the US). Also, from what I've heard the ATF does keep eyes on gun stores within a certain range of the northern border, unlike down south. My only complaint is when authors obscure facts to push their agenda, such as below:

The passage above neglects quite a few truths about 50s because they wouldn't suit the author's agenda of promoting gun control through creating fear. Barrett 50s list between $5k and $12k. They're simply out of most people's price range for a firearm. It also ignores the impractical nature of most long range sniper rifles. They are not concealable, they are heavy (between 20 and 30lbs versus 7.5lbs for an AR-15), ammunition is expensive and they are not conducive to rapid fire or quick target engagement. Outside of very specific situations, they're basically the antithesis of the kind of weapon someone intent on hurting many people would choose, especially when you can get an AR-15 or AK-47 for under $500 and still have loads of money left over for magazines and ammunition.

But overall, a very informative article that highlights how the USAs lack of gun control hurts its neighbours as well (not that they care).
Should the Mexicans have more security in their border? After all they hurt US more when they let all the drugs cross the border. I saw a video of a Mexican cartel with automatic guns that didn't came from the US, they were too new.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...-by-three-year-old-brother-houston-police-say

Baby dies in ‘tragic’ shooting by three-year-old brother, Houston police say
  • Eight-month-old dies in hospital after shooting at apartment
  • Police urge gun owners to lock up firearms: ‘This is tragic event’
If only the family had another gun to shoot the 3 year old, this wouldn't have happened.
At a minimum, the gun owner should be charged with involuntary manslaughter.