Film Guy Ritchie's The Covenant.

RedDevilQuebecois

Guy Ritchie has been on a roll recently. And you add Jake Gyllenhaal as the main actor? Coune me in.

RedDevilQuebecois

Aladdin and The Gentlemen were really good. There was a blip with Wrath of Man, but Operation Fortune: Ruse de Guerre looks decent. That's quite solid inside 3 years considering how long it took Guy Ritchie to make another commercially successful movie after Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
He's been on a roll down the embankment and into the pissy canal water forever.

Spark

fecks me off that his name is in the title for some reason. Makes me think it'll be shit.

Other than that the film looks a bit generic compared to his other films. Probs worth a watch.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Lock stock and snatch are still two of the great British films. I’ve not liked much he’s done when he’s strayed out of that crime comedy wheelhouse though.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
I always enjoy Guy Ritchie movies. Don’t care what anyone says. And I think this looks great.

Sweet Square

Lock Stock and Snatch are both very good at doing their own shtick(Stereotype English comedy)which many have failed to recreate. Having a unique style even if it’s shite, is still more than the vast majority of directors.

Everything afterwards has been very meh, he recently directed the Will Smith Aladdin film.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Fair play to Guy for taking a chance on this. One would expect this sort of thing from Clint Eastwood.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Aladdin and The Gentlemen were really good. There was a blip with Wrath of Man, but Operation Fortune: Ruse de Guerre looks decent. That's quite solid inside 3 years considering how long it took Guy Ritchie to make another commercially successful movie after Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows.
Aladdin was a horror show. The Gentleman was a cartoon, albeit a really fun and enjoyable one.

He’s an odd director. I still can’t work out whether he’s any good, or I just enjoy some of his movies. He’s very creative, but it’s generally a bit shock and awe with zero nuance.

RedDevilQuebecois

Anyway, we will see how this one pans out. However, I have a feeling I will really enjoy this this movie because it touches a theme that came back to the surface around the time when Kabul fell: Afghan interpreters and the many risks they (and their families) took to help the West against the Taliban for 2 decades.

crossy1686

career ending
Jake Gyllenhaal is a terrible actor and an equally boring person. If he’s the lead role you know this film is in trouble right away.

Zen

Guy Ritchie has done anything relevant since Snatch?

RedDevilQuebecois

Saw an interview by Jake Tapper with Jake Gyllenhaal and Dar Salim on CNN yesterday. Salim's own personal experience in Danish military service really came in handy for the role of the interpreter Ahmed.

Hectic

Supports
30fps
If he isn't playing an Afghan interpreter, then he is a coward.

jm99

I really liked the gentleman, but that felt like a film more within Richie's wheelhouse, the more he goes outside the kinda slick, stylish gangster genre, with almost cartoonist characters in it, the more mixed the results tend to be.

Chairman Steve

Guy Ritchie has done anything relevant since Snatch?
Not really no. He didn’t kick on from those Snatch days of being the British Tarantino. I tuned out from him after that pretentious Revolver movie he made, where he tried hard to be Snatch fused with Memento-like storytelling and some David Lynch-like visuals.

2 man midfield

Operation fortune was better than I thought but nothing amazing. Wrath of man was shit.

Wing Attack Plan R

I’m surprised people hold any good will for Ritchie at all. He hasn’t made anything good since Snatch, and that was decades ago. I completely gave up on him for that Sherlock Holmes abomination, so maybe he’s suddenly morphed into a beautiful butterfly filmmaker, but I doubt it.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
I’m surprised people hold any good will for Ritchie at all. He hasn’t made anything good since Snatch, and that was decades ago. I completely gave up on him for that Sherlock Holmes abomination, so maybe he’s suddenly morphed into a beautiful butterfly filmmaker, but I doubt it.
Did you not enjoy The Gentlemen? I thought that was a return to form of sorts for him.

Last edited:

2 man midfield

This is getting good reviews

Wing Attack Plan R

Did you not enjoy The Gentleman? I thought that was a return to form of sorts for him.
I hated what he did with Sherlock Holmes so much that I promised myself I'd never put myself through one of his films again. But I would ask someone who saw, for instance, Rock N Rolla, how it was, and no one ever said anything good about his later films.

EDIT: he's not the only one. There are a lot of filmmakers out there who I will skip. Every time I've been suckered into watching a film by a person whose work I despise (e.g. Spike Lee, Spielberg, Tarantino) because "the new one is so good you'll love it", and invariably whatever it was I hated about the person's style is turned up to 11.