Haaland vs Mbappe - Heirs Apparent

Who do you think will win the Ballon d'Or first?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
So the comparisons are beginning to come thick and fast, especially since last night with Mbappe “tearing the crown off Messi’s head” as one journalist put it.

It definitely feels like the Messi vs Ronaldo debate of the 2020s is shaping up.

If we could get a poll please @Damien?

“Race to the first Ballon D’Or” seems like a good place to start.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I don't know who will win their first Balon d'or, it depends on team success more than just individual quality but out of 2 Mbappe is better player.

Knux

Supports
AIK Stockholm
Haaland will be a new Zlatan at best tbf. Nothing wrong with that. But will never be the worlds best.

Mbappé it is.

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
Like comparing Alan Shearer to Thierry Henry
:lol: Excellent way to put it actually!

Haaland is a phenomenal goalscorer but Mbappe is a cut above. His flair, pace and versatility across the front 3 sets them apart.

Hawks2008

Scary prospects, Mbappe is the most complete of the two but Haaland has got the makings to be the best goalscorer in the world too. Mbappe will win a Ballon D'or first, France will among the favorites at international tournaments for the forseeable future and winning those will hold him in good stead. PSG could easily win the CL this year and would probably make him one of the favourites for 2021 Ballon D'or.

I always have a preference for pure strikers but yeah, Mbappe is futher along his development right now and looks like having the higher ceiling.

troylocker

It was great to see Mbappe at his best in a big match again, it's been a while. Absolutely phenomenal yesterday!
Let's see if Erling can answer tonight.

Jaxa

Tbh if PSG win the CL this year and they will of course win the league and Mbappe carries on his current form I can see him lifting the next Balon d'OR

Haaland will have to leave Dortmund and win trophies with a bigger club in europe before he comes close.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Exactly, Haaland has himself to blame for this, he developed too quickly. He should be compared to the likes of Greenwood, not Mbappe.
There are 579 days between their (Mbappe and Haaland) birthdays compared to 869 for Messi and Ronaldo. Not saying they'll go to be as good as those two but they can certainly be compared. Isn't like they're 10 years apart in age, and Mbappe was tearing things up from a very young age too.

red_de_pologne

There are 579 days between their (Mbappe and Haaland) birthdays compared to 869 for Messi and Ronaldo. Not saying they'll go to be as good as those two but they can certainly be compared. Isn't like they're 10 years apart in age, and Mbappe was tearing things up from a very young age too.
Fair enough, I thought it's 3 years between them. Anyway, the age gap will make less of a difference as the time goes by, at 19-20, 2 years is still a large gap I think (in terms of development).

Mainoldo

Don’t you think it’s more like Ruud vs Henry comparison, which was quite popular and valid one back then.
Yeah you can say that tbf. But Ruud had more technical ability than Shearer I would say. Shearer was a better striker of the ball. Haaland also looks like he has an impressive strike from what I’ve seen of him.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Mbappe
Club - 142 goals in 225 games
International - 16 goals in 39 games
CL - 24 goals in 42 games
Achievement. - won WC (and won a few French league)

Haaland
Club - 108 goals in 155 games
International - 6 goals in 7 games
CL - 16 goals in 13 games
Achievement - nothing major (won 2 Austrian league though)

I think Haaland is more deadly in front of goals, but Mbappe has better pace and skill, which is more pleasing to the eyes.

Last edited:

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Mbappe is easily the better footballer but Haaland is easily the better goalscorer. Aesthetically pleasing vs ruthless efficiency.

One is a World Cup winner, the other will do well to ever even play in one... Legacy wise that's always a big deal.

Ballon d'Or wise I think it will be a mismatch. Mbappe will be in the reckoning every year. Haaland only has a chance in non-tournament years. We've seen the same in the women's d'Or. Ada Hegerberg won in 2018 (non-tournament year) but a year later when she was breaking CL records and scored a CL final hat-trick she had no chance up against the players who had an international tournament that year. Not to mention France Football will always have a slight bias towards the French player.

Cloud7

Haaland is a great goal scorer, very productive. Mbappe, however, has everything. Pace, flair, goal scoring. He’s way more aesthetically pleasing. Mbappe is the sort of player that makes you enjoy watching a football match.

In terms of numbers they’ll probably run each other close throughout their career, but in terms of which one I like more, it’s not even close. Mbappe.

ju_

@ Samid

The second millennium ended 31th Decembre 2000. Both were born in the secon millennium.

If I hat to build a team, I would choose Haaland because besides his goal scoring ability I really like his attitude.

Cloud7

Don’t you think it’s more like Ruud vs Henry comparison, which was quite popular and valid one back then.
This was always a tough one for me. On one hand, Ruud was great, and as a United fan I should have favored him in this comparison, but on the other hand, Henry was just so damn good to watch, and much like Mbappe, was very aesthetically pleasing on the field. Good thing I wasn’t on any United forums during that era, I would have been attacked too much for that view :lol:

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Whoever plays for the best club.

Both very talented, Mbappe more of a wing forward than an out and out striker than Haaland.

Would be happy with either or both :drool:

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Mbappe for me. Haaland is too much of an out and out striker.

Mainoldo

This was always a tough one for me. On one hand, Ruud was great, and as a United fan I should have favored him in this comparison, but on the other hand, Henry was just so damn good to watch, and much like Mbappe, was very aesthetically pleasing on the field. Good thing I wasn’t on any United forums during that era, I would have been attacked too much for that view :lol:
Same. I was wrong and strong with Ruud though. Even though I modelled my actual game on Henry.

Good Times man if you was actually a kid in that era.

Oranges038

Ivan Drago or Michelangelo from TNMT?

In football, just like in real life one offers a coolness and ruthless efficiency the other is a bit more skilful and pleasing on the eye.

My money's on Michelangelo.

We need an rvn

A number of posters have mentioned that Mbappe has more chance of winning due to France playing in the major tournaments more than Haaland. I beg to differ. Messi, who has won the title 6 times, has a poor record in terms of international tournaments. Ronaldo's Portugal has won the Euro's.

Hence as long as Haaland and Mbappe produce the goods in their respective leagues, win or get to the finals of the CL and top the goal scoring charts they both have a shot despite possibly not doing well in international tournaments. I'm not saying it doesn't help if they do well in them, but I don't think it's got as much pull than it might have done previously when deciding who will win.

I think a lot will come down to injuries and for some reason I think Mbappe will be brilliant over the next few years but Haaland will have the longer career

troylocker

I see a lot of comparisons here. Ruud vs Henry, Shearer vs Henry, Messi vs Ronaldo etc.

Haaland and Mbappe has a lot more end product than all these guys at the same age and let's hope they are both still far from peaking. Haaland has scored a goal every 90 minutes and contributed to a goal every 72 minutes so far in his senior football career, while Mbappe has scored a goal every 109 minutes and contributed to a goal every 70 minutes of his career so far. These are absolutely insane numbers and there is no doubt in my mind these are extraordinary talents. My point is that these two phenomenons pretty much dwarf all these (and others) legends' early career numbers:

- Henry scored 28 goals in 139 games for Monaco before he left for Juve at 21. He scored 12 in his last 62 games for Monaco....
- Shearer had 9 senior goals to his name when he left Southampton for Blackburn at 22.
- Messi had 42 goals in 110 games for Barca when he turned 21.
- Ruud left Heerenveen at 22 with 14 goals in 36 senior games
- CR7 had 32 goals in 168 games after the season he had turned 21

I really look forward to see this battle unfold the next decade, because it might be better than anything we have seen before.

Cloud7

Same. I was wrong and strong with Ruud though. Even though I modelled my actual game on Henry.

Good Times man if you was actually a kid in that era.
It was a glorious time. I was indeed a child then, and that was around the age that I really started to properly get into following football religiously week by week. It really was the definition of good times.

Football seemed to be so much better back then.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Mbappe is more likely to win it first due to being older and slightly better at present, being more explosive and having more flair also tends to help with these awards.

Haaland is just very efficient.

The comparison is a bit like Henry vs RVN when both in the PL. Henry would be seen as the better player because he had more flair and an aura about him, RVN was also exceptional but he just did his job of scoring goals without being flashy.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
That's not how it works though: journalists from all over the world vote.
But it's French Football running the campaign. All year they're posting French football related content on their platforms and then they use the same platforms to promote Ballon d'Or (see tweets below). Tweet text says "Lionel Messi? No ! The real phenomenon is Kylian Mbappé!". Fair enough, they're a French outlet hyping up French players. But it gets a bit tricky when the same outlet uses the same platforms to promote an international award.

I'm not for one moment suggesting FF have malicious intents but there is bound to be a slight bias when the same platforms are being used for multiple purposes. They're the official authority when it comes to Ballon d'Or, they have the standing/following to influence people and gain traction for certain narratives through the content they post. The voting journalists are hardly robots, they're also influenced by hype trains and bandwagons.

RoyH1

Mbappé plays for France so he has a higher chance of shining in top international tournaments, so I think he has much bigger chance of winning it.
That said, if Mbappé stays in PSG and Haaland goes to bigger club than Borussia (us, Liverpool or RM) his chances increase too.

Siorac

But it's French Football running the campaign. All year they're posting French football related content on their platforms and then they use the same platforms to promote Ballon d'Or (see tweets below). Tweet text says "Lionel Messi? No ! The real phenomenon is Kylian Mbappé!". Fair enough, they're a French outlet hyping up French players. But it gets a bit tricky when the same outlet uses the same platforms to promote an international award.
I don't know how much France Football's Twitter feed influences other journalists though. Probably not that much, if at all.

And regarding this latest tweet, Mbappe scored a hat-trick at the Camp Nou yesterday and thoroughly outshone Messi in the process so it's not exactly unreasonable or biased to hype him up right now.

cyberman

Its gonna take more than scoring v a poor Barca side and in Germany to be heir apparant imo. The next best in the world are the players who burst up a level at 24 odd.
Id put Salah and Bruno up against these two this season. Kane was having a monster season before he was injured etc

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Greenwood.

On a slightly different note, does anybody else think Haaland has one of those faces you'd like to punch? :lol: Don't know why but he looks annoying. Seen him acting a bit of a billy big bollocks in one game too, seems to be buying into the hype a bit.

In football terms though I would have to see a bit more of Haaland to answer the question in the OP. I've never been totally sold on Mbappe.

lenny_1248

On a slightly different note, does anybody else think Haaland has one of those faces you'd like to punch? :lol: Don't know why but he looks annoying. Seen him acting a bit of a billy big bollocks in one game too, seems to be buying into the hype a bit.
Agree)))

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Greenwood.

In football terms though I would have to see a bit more of Haaland to answer the question in the OP. I've never been totally sold on Mbappe.
He does but so does M'bappe, he always has a smug arrogant look about himself, probably influenced by that prick Neymar.

SilentStrike

Supports
Feyenoord
Yesterday Mbappe was amazing so the hype is slightly on his side now, but overall I think Haaland is more incredible.

Time will tell but I think Haaland will turm out to be the better one of the two