Haaland vs Mbappe - Heirs Apparent

Who do you think will win the Ballon d'Or first?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

thepolice123

We'll have to disagree on that. It is of course possible that you simply understand football better than I do and have a better basis for judging, I don't know anything about you. But to me it seems quite odd if you're watching Haaland and "orthodox" is a phrase that comes to mind.

And I don't think he's remotely like R9.
Everything that Haaland does is pretty much textbox center forward stuff, I don't get what's so unorthodox about it. He just does it to an incredibly high level at such a young age and he has a unqiue blend of size and pace.

He looks more like the combined end product of all great traditional forwards that came before rather than someone who breaks the mould of how a center forward should be.

Last edited:

dinostar77

Everything that Haaland does is pretty much textbox center forward stuff, I don't get what's so unorthodox about it. He just does it to an incredibly high level at such a young age and he has a great unqiue of size and pace.

He looks more like the combined end product of all great traditional forwards that came before rather than someone who breaks the mould of how a center forward should be.
I just watched his first 23 goals for Dortmund on youtube. Ok not the same as watching a whole match, but he looks a very good finisher and potentially an elite striker. Nothing ground breaking. After whats happen with Timo Werner this season, im not too sure how good the defending is in Bundesliga at present. Be intetesting to see him in a different league.

Mbappe has that turn of pace (best way to describe it is an ability to go through the gears, speed up andnslow down while dribbling) that very very few players have and those that did have it in their prime are a very elite list i.e. Henry, R9, CR7, Messi etc.

Mbappe is the only player i have seen that comes anywhere near a young R9 and even then the young R9 was better at same age. For me personally its Mbappe who is hier apparent to the Messi/Ronaldo crown. Need to see another season of Haaland to really judge him.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Mbappe had about one great performance in a big game in the last twelve months and barely progressed as a player recently.
He's pretty much progressed every season, he's not playing great this year for many reasons, but he's still having a solid season numbers-wise in all competitions, his basement level is enough to have him be one of the top 5 forwards in the world, and it's been that way since 18-19, he's got more credit in the bank IMO, but Haaland is in a form of his own right now along with Lewandowski, it does not feel sustainable. I think wanting Haaland over Mbappe makes sense financially and tactically for certain teams, but if both were available for the same price, I'd take Mbappe; on his day, he's about as good as anybody in the world and I just think he has more ways to break a team down than Haaland. What's for sure is that whatever people want to say about the leagues they play in, they're doing the business in the champion's league as well, they'll succeed anywhere in the world, especially since only the best teams will be able to afford them.

justsomebloke

This thread is delusional at times when Haaland is being rated as better than Mbappe.
and

I just watched his first 23 goals for Dortmund on youtube. Ok not the same as watching a whole match, but he looks a very good finisher and potentially an elite striker. Nothing ground breaking. After whats happen with Timo Werner this season, im not too sure how good the defending is in Bundesliga at present. Be intetesting to see him in a different league.

Mbappe has that turn of pace (best way to describe it is an ability to go through the gears, speed up andnslow down while dribbling) that very very few players have and those that did have it in their prime are a very elite list i.e. Henry, R9, CR7, Messi etc.

Mbappe is the only player i have seen that comes anywhere near a young R9 and even then the young R9 was better at same age. For me personally its Mbappe who is hier apparent to the Messi/Ronaldo crown. Need to see another season of Haaland to really judge him.
So, let me get this straight. You've watched a youtube clip with 23 goals, and think that this qualifies you not just to have an opinion on what sort of player Haaland is, but also on how he stacks up against Mbappe?

dinostar77

and

So, let me get this straight. You've watched a youtube clip with 23 goals, and think that this qualifies you not just to have an opinion on what sort of player Haaland is, but also on how he stacks up against Mbappe?
And how many matches haaland has played in have you watched in full?

justsomebloke

Quite a few. During which I've mostly kept my eyes glued on him rather than on the ball. Mind you, not that that makes me an expert or anything. I'm alive to the possibility that people who understand football better than me wouldn't see what I see. If so, I'll listen. but at least I've made the effort. Which you evidently haven't.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
I’ve watched almost all of his games in full in the past 3 years. He isn’t “potentially elite”, he is elite already. At the age of 20 he’s top 3 strikers in the world with Lewandowski and Kane.

The guy is ground breaking. He is shattering CL goal scoring records every time he plays in the competition. The fact you’re comparing him to Werner (5 years older and nowhere near in terms of CL record) proves you haven’t watched Haaland apart from Youtube clips.

He has played two knockout ties and has 6 goals already. Nothing ground breaking my arse.

Mbappe is far from a young R9. They both have explosive pace but it stops there. R9 could run at full pace with the ball stuck to his feet, Mbappe can't do that. He's heavily reliant on his pace and he's not developing those other parts of his game because he doesn't need to in Ligue 1. Put it another way, he's not doing anything now he wasn't doing 2 or 3 years ago.

Haaland has so far taken his game to completely new levels every season he has played.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Yeah, Mbappe playing against the Sheffields and Burnleys of the world will take his game to a whole new level. That's why when he plays against CL quality sides, he struggles.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
Yeah, Mbappe playing against the Sheffields and Burnleys of the world will take his game to a whole new level. That's why when he plays against CL quality sides, he struggles.
Yup

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Mbappe is clearly a level(s) above. And much more exciting to watch.

Cloud7

I can’t help but feel like some United fans view this as an extension of the Henry Vs Ruud debate, because I don’t see how anyone can look at Mbappe and Haaland and possibly say that Haaland is better.

Zen86

I can’t help but feel like some United fans view this as an extension of the Henry Vs Ruud debate, because I don’t see how anyone can look at Mbappe and Haaland and possibly say that Haaland is better.
I think it’s down to Haaland being more attainable for us than Mbappe, therefore people tend to get a bit giddy and heavily overrate him. There’s not a chance the latter is coming here.

Cloud7

I think it’s down to Haaland being more attainable for us than Mbappe, therefore people tend to get a bit giddy and heavily overrate him. There’s not a chance the latter is coming here.
I thought about that as well, but I didn’t want to put it into words because Mbappe is like a dream signing and I don’t want to speak it into existence that he’ll never come here:lol:

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
It’s 100% that, with a sprinkle of the fact that Haaland is the new shiny toy and Mbappé has been doing this since 18 years old. Also Haaland is putting up insane numbers.

justsomebloke

What, do you think United fans invented the mbappe/Haaland debate?

Google it. Football websites and newspapers everywhere are having that debate, and the answers aren't all coming down on one side.

Last edited:

saivet

Its like Ruud vs Henry.
A little but I personally think from a technical and creative perspective Mbappe isn't and probably won't ever reach an elite level. He's better than Haaland in that regard but I don't think the gap is as far as between Henry and Ruud.

The Firestarter

A little but I personally think from a technical and creative perspective Mbappe isn't and probably won't ever reach an elite level. He's better than Haaland in that regard but I don't think the gap is as far as between Henry and Ruud.
Won't reach elite level :lol: This forum man...

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Mbappé’s English is flawless. What’s going on there? Are there so many nationalities at PSG they all speak in English together? Any other reason he’s so fluent?
Career management, he knows to be a media star speaking English will help. That, or he's going to Liverpool or something.

saivet

41 goals involvement in 43 CL games suggests otherwise, with 26 goals and 15 assists.
It's impressive, no doubt. I just think the gap between Henry and Ruud in terms of creativity is a bigger than between Mbappe and Haaland. It's also helpful that Mbappe plays from a wide forward most of the time whereas Haaland as a traditional lone centre forward.

He's fine at it but I don't see him as one of the worlds best creative players is all.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
Mbappé’s English is flawless. What’s going on there? Are there so many nationalities at PSG they all speak in English together? Any other reason he’s so fluent?
Has been taking lessons. It's on. fecking hell.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
It's impressive, no doubt. I just think the gap between Henry and Ruud in terms of creativity is a bigger than between Mbappe and Haaland. It's also helpful that Mbappe plays from a wide forward most of the time whereas Haaland as a traditional lone centre forward.

He's fine at it but I don't see him as one of the worlds best creative players is all.
Well no doubt, because Ruud really wasn't a creative player at all compared to Henry, while Haaland has shown he can create opportunities for others, but I do think the gap is pretty noticeable, even though I don't think Ruud is an appropriate comparison for Haaland compared to the Henry/Mbappe one.

saivet

Well no doubt, because Ruud really wasn't a creative player at all compared to Henry, while Haaland has shown he can create opportunities for others, but I do think the gap is pretty noticeable, even though I don't think Ruud is an appropriate comparison for Haaland compared to the Henry/Mbappe one.
Totally agree with that.

Has been taking lessons. It's on. fecking hell.
He did an interview with the BBC maybe a year two ago and was very fluent then. Some may say he's been preparing for this move since learning English at school :D

Theo88

I came here to say they're the next Ruud and Henry rather than Messi and CR7 too. Even though Mbappe is probably getting closer to elite level than the time it took for Henry to get there.

I think we need to relax a bit with the projections. I'm sure they'll be fantastic players but Ronaldo and Messi are god tier legendary players that don't re-generate just as they're about to retire

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Matketing reasons for once. Mbappe is pretty popular worldwide and TVs from all over the world battle to get interviews from him. Him and his family are managing his career very smartly

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I'd definitely take him over Haaland. For me, he is as close to the sure thing right now in football. Even if he doesn't have the that incredible close control you usually have from the best footballer in the world, he is incredible efficient in the final third. He has his specific strengths and he absolutely maximises those.

Haaland is great but looks more one dimensional to me, and I think Mbappe himself can be that too but has more strings to his bow.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
The thing is that Haaland isnt worth 150 million and to me not even close.

Mbappe is the player that is worth it at 100 million or more.