Gaming Hades (PS/Xbox/Switch/PC)

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
I know this game has been discussed in the general gaming thread but it deserves its own thread because it’s just an absolutely wonderfully addictive brilliant game. I’ve probably put around 10ish hours in now and I’ve barely scratched the surface.

Also who doesn’t love Greek Mythology? Anyway, if you haven’t played it I recommend you do (free for xboxers on Gamepass).

izzydiggler

Yeah it's a great game...didn't 'wow' me when I saw footage, even though it was winning loads of GOTY awards but having played it, it's just brilliant.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
So much fun. Got all the achievements within a few weeks of it being on gamepass. Addictive, only flaw being it takes a while to cycle through sub-stories etc. 5 star game though. Keen to try out Bastion.

Moby

Dick
Absolutely brilliant game all round. Easily delivers the hype and probably a bit more. Something it's impossible to ever get bored of.

I loved the spear, some of the builds I managed were just wonderful.

For those having unlocked the punishments I'd highly 'suggest' using the ones that grants each boss extra movesets, for a delightfully punishing surprise. :lol:

The Theseus and Minotaur fight is easily the best in the game and what makes or breaks a run. Love it when he starts summoning the Gods, the cnut.

Also for those who loved it, highly suggest playing Transistor, which was this studio's previous game. An absolutely brilliant experience in it's own right. The sheer creativity these guys put in their game designs is off the charts.

altodevil

Twin fists with that Ares/Athena duo boon

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
Played it earlier this year. It’s brilliant, was proper hooked on it. Finished it the 10 times for the ending but left it at that

Made me realise I liked rogue style games…so I am trying to play enter the gungeon at the moment but can’t make it past the 2nd level.

Art

Art the artist
Best game I've played in years. About 200hrs in this. Highly highly recommend for those who can't game for hours at a stretch and prefer 20-30min bursts.

Twins

"Everybody loves a golden shower"
Played it earlier this year. It’s brilliant, was proper hooked on it. Finished it the 10 times for the ending but left it at that

Made me realise I liked rogue style games…so I am trying to play enter the gungeon at the moment but can’t make it past the 2nd level.
If you’re into rogue likes and enjoy space shooters give everspace a go it’s fantastic.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
I played for a while to see what the fuss was about and it's pretty good but I can't get into the rogue style. In the moment it's very fun but when I take a step back it feels like a bit of a grind and as I tend to play games exclusively apres work, I prefer a linear style and to decrease any busywork.

Admittedly this is an observation more of the genre than the game itself. Supergiant's other games have generally been excellent, particularly Transistor.

The art is very nice. The writing seemed good too.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Theseus and Asterius is tough - any tips? I've managed to beat them once so far, but had a death defiance which helped (but then I died anyway just after meeting Cerberus).

altodevil

Theseus and Asterius is tough - any tips? I've managed to beat them once so far, but had a death defiance which helped (but then I died anyway just after meeting Cerberus).
Tips depend on your weapon of choice.

In general though - Athena boons are the best, purely for deflect.

I always killed Asterius first, might be a preference thing. I felt it allowed me to dodge Theseus' boons more freely.

Moby

Dick
Focus only on Minotaur and ensure you dodge whenever Theseus attacks. Use pillars as shields. Only take on Theseus once the other dude is gone. You need to save the DD in this, if you end up using it all the run kinda ends there.

Moby

Dick
I always killed Asterius first, might be a preference thing. I felt it allowed me to dodge Theseus' boons more freely.
This. If Minotaur is still alive and Theseus is below half health that's an absolute hell of a fight to deal with.

On that topic, gotta love the summon cries. "LADY ARTRMIS PROTECT US!".

Ibi Dreams

It's a really hard fight at first. Make sure you're using the mirror and boosting all the stuff you can there. Take on Asterius first, Theseus usually keeps his range and won't do much. In general it's a very good idea to try to get privileged status - this is when you have two status boons working at the same time. e.g if you have Aphrodite's weak on your special, and Dionysus' hangover on your dash, putting both on an enemy causes privileged status and all of your damage is significantly increased. I think this is something you have to unlock using the mirror, but it is a key part of the game

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
OK I'll focus on the Minotaur next time. Bastards seem to have a ton of health.

Also in the area where Achilles is - there are two locked doors. Do I have to do anything in particular to unlock these or will it happen as I gradually go through the story?

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
It's a really hard fight at first. Make sure you're using the mirror and boosting all the stuff you can there. Take on Asterius first, Theseus usually keeps his range and won't do much. In general it's a very good idea to try to get privileged status - this is when you have two status boons working at the same time. e.g if you have Aphrodite's weak on your special, and Dionysus' hangover on your dash, putting both on an enemy causes privileged status and all of your damage is significantly increased. I think this is something you have to unlock using the mirror, but it is a key part of the game
Ah I see, yeah I've been unlocking things with the mirror but I need 20 keys to unlock the next round of upgrades. Think I have 5 at the minute (I've unlocked all the weapons now).

Last edited:

Ibi Dreams

Ah I see, yeah I've been unlocking things with the mirror but I think I need 12 keys to unlock the next round of upgrades. Think I have 5 at the minute (I've unlocked all the weapons now).
A lot of the game's difficulty is eased with the mirror tbh, it's designed in that way. Starts off really hard and you also don't know how to play, and as you keep playing and getting better the game starts giving you more good stuff to make it easier. A lot of the time the simple answer is just to keep trying, you'll eventually get it and then later it'll seem easy. You've already beaten them once so you're definitely well on your way

altodevil

OK I'll focus on the Minotaur next time. Bastards seem to have a ton of health.

Also in the area where Achilles is - there are two locked doors. Do I have to do anything in particular to unlock these or will it happen as I gradually go through the story?
That's just story progression IIRC, however the story progression is semi-random, as it depends who you see in the hall, who you talk to/gift etc.

My advice is to hold off on plying a character with multiple nectars, you get a keepsake with your first gift so it's better to spread the love at first. Then you can worry about other 'gifts' later on, as you get into the post-game.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Havn't tried Hades but I see it is made by the same guys who made Bastian which is a lovely little game if you haven't tried it.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Had another go at Theseus and the Minotaur. Definitely much more comfortable just focusing on the latter first. Went in with 150 health and no DD and managed to kill the Minotaur and get Theseus down to about a third of his health.

Twin Fists are great.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
The Twin Fists are great until you reach the last boss who has massive range and pummels you up close. Pretty sure I beat him with the guns and the bow but couldn't beat him with closer up weapons like the fists and sword and that's when I stopped.

altodevil

Had another go at Theseus and the Minotaur. Definitely much more comfortable just focusing on the latter first. Went in with 150 health and no DD and managed to kill the Minotaur and get Theseus down to about a third of his health.

Twin Fists are great.
They were my favourite too - hardest area with them is the next one you'll get to though. And you will see why.

Simbo

Great game, they've done a really good job of building a story into a roguelike, very well made.

For whatever reason, I didn't find it had quite the same replayability as some others in the genre though, once you've got through most the story. May faves are Syndicate and Risk of Rain 2.

Oh, the soundtrack is pretty special too, there's one area in particular where I used to just stop and listen for a while.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Excellent game. I've been playing it for a while now. I'm currently going for the platinum. I've completed the game so just going through now and picking up some trophies. Some of them are going to take ages, but it's so fun to play I don't mind.

The amount of content in this is incredible. I don't think I've seen a piece of dialogue repeated yet, and the writing is really top tier. Great characters, great art, and superb combat. One of the best games I've played in some time.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling

Twin Fists are great.
Yeah, focusing on the Minotaur first is definitely the way to go. Dodging Theseus's spear is pretty easy. Also, if you can get a call boon from Artemis or Aphrodite (two of the best call boons, IMO) and charge your god gauge up all the way then they can do some serious damage for you.

The bow and arrow is probably my favorite weapon in the game. Do some serious damage with it while maintaining your distance.

altodevil

You might not have been that close...