Gaming Hades (PS/Xbox/Switch/PC)

Ainu

12 isn't bad. I think I had my first win after 16 runs, but I had played it on the switch before last year (did about 10 runs then).

It's not really worth sticking with one weapon if you want to get stuff levelled up and such. You should pick the weapon with the bonus purples for that run and also if you keep clearing with the same weapon you won't get hearts or diamonds which are important for unlocking stuff.
Bonus purple? I must have missed something.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
I never use the shield. It can be good it if you attach Zeus' lightning strike to the special but that's the only combo that works on the shield for me.

You can make multiple things work on every other weapon.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Ares’ Doom is great.

I’ve completed it a few times now - mainly with the Twin Fists - and I have access to that thing I can’t remember the name of (where I can apply heat levels).

Moby

Dick
On 12 escape attempts and reached the Elysium boss on that last run. I don't know if that's good progress but it feels decent. Elysium still wrecks the shit out of me, though. I've been using the spear and heavily leaning on its special throw. I think I'll stick with that until I make it out at least once.
That's good pace. Spear is a good all round weapon that is good for your first full run.

I won't say much about this "Elysium boss" for not spoiling anything but yes, usually after 10 odd runs you should be able to get through the first two biomes without any issues. Plus any half decent build that has any range absolutely wrecks that moron cobra dude at the end of second. The flukemarm of Hades. :lol:

Ainu

That's good pace. Spear is a good all round weapon that is good for your first full run.

I won't say much about this "Elysium boss" for not spoiling anything but yes, usually after 10 odd runs you should be able to get through the first two biomes without any issues. Plus any half decent build that has any range absolutely wrecks that moron cobra dude at the end of second. The flukemarm of Hades. :lol:
Ah ffs, my next run I make it all the way to the final boss and get him down to a sliver of health. For a moment when the death animation came, I didn't know if it was mine or his. Oh the disappointment. :(

I think I fluked a ridiculous DPS build this run, so I'm not expecting to get close in the next couple.

Moby

Dick
I think I fluked a ridiculous DPS build this run, so I'm not expecting to get close in the next couple.
That's the best part mate, it feels like a great build won't happen again but there's always a new great build around the corner to look forward to.

Ainu

Made it out on attempt number 15. I had an Athena call that made me invulnerable for a short time which really helped and then bought a boon at the very last Charon shop that made my health regenerate if I didn't have any DD left. Never would've made it without that. That last phase was a nasty surprise, my heart sank a little bit but somehow I pulled through.

Now we go again.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Had such a good run and had great boons and a great build and was looking forward to wiping the floor with Hades but the bastard just let me right on through.

Ainu

Had such a good run and had great boons and a great build and was looking forward to wiping the floor with Hades but the bastard just let me right on through.
Huh? I'm going to assume that's something story related once you beat him enough.

I'm getting the hang of his fight now, though it's still pretty damn hard. Just had two straight wins, which feels great, but both fights still took all three DD's plus the acorn which I always equip before Styx now (pretty sure a fully ranked acorn negates more damage than a DD). I haven't lost to that smug twat Theseus in a long time, thank the fates. Can't stand the bastard.

Moby

Dick
Made it out on attempt number 15. I had an Athena call that made me invulnerable for a short time which really helped and then bought a boon at the very last Charon shop that made my health regenerate if I didn't have any DD left. Never would've made it without that. That last phase was a nasty surprise, my heart sank a little bit but somehow I pulled through.

Now we go again.
15 attempts is really impressive for the first escape.

Time for punishments now. :devil:

Moby

Dick
It's punishing enough for now. :nervous: Maybe later, if I ever find myself breezing through the final fight on a consistent basis.
Well, you get good loot with punishments and some are quite fun. Always loved the one granting bosses more abilities - some epic surprises with that. :lol:

Ainu

One thing I really love about this game is how weapons can play out in unexpected ways. My last clear was with the shield, so you'd expect to play slow and defensive. However, for my first boon I had a great upgrade for the special so I focused all other upgrades on that. Instead of a defensive weapon, the shield became a deadly, room clearing monster that bounced between every enemy, inflicted status effects and did a ton of extra damage once it returned to Zagreus' hand. I don't think I hid behind it even once on that entire run. That sort of flexibility does a lot for replayability.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
One thing I really love about this game is how weapons can play out in unexpected ways. My last clear was with the shield, so you'd expect to play slow and defensive. However, for my first boon I had a great upgrade for the special so I focused all other upgrades on that. Instead of a defensive weapon, the shield became a deadly, room clearing monster that bounced between every enemy, inflicted status effects and did a ton of extra damage once it returned to Zagreus' hand. I don't think I hid behind it even once on that entire run. That sort of flexibility does a lot for replayability.
I had similar with the shield last night, absolutely shredded most enemies, was great fun!

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
The shield was my first clear I think. That and the spear are the two easiest ones if you get good upgrades and boons for them. Crazy damage both at short and long range.

Siorac

Shield and fist are my favourites. I cleared with every weapon but the ranged ones in particular just aren't as fun as shield and fist.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
I think my least favourite is probably the gun, not had as much fun with that one and having to reload is a pain. But the others are all fun in their own ways, especially with boons/upgrades.

Also, unlocked the first of Skelly’s prizes and was expecting something better!

Siorac

there’s a definite fisting joke in there but I certainly won’t be making it.
I left the opportunity there, thinking that if someone makes an actual good joke then they deserve it. And if they make an easy and awful one, well, then we can ridicule them until the end of their days.

Ainu

Starting to feel like I'm never going to clear the game with the bow. I've tried, but I still haven't found a way to make this weapon not be completely atrocious. I've had 5 clears in the last 7 attempts, and the two failures were with the bow. Both times I couldn't even get Hades down to half health on his first phase, so I'm not even remotely close. The worst part about it all, the game goes from being a 10/10 and incredibly fun to being frustrating, tedious and unsatisfying with this weapon. It feels like it's from a different game or something.

Obviously there has to be a way to make it work, but compared to the other weapons, it certainly has a lot more ways to not work.

Edit: another indication that the bow just doesn't work for me: I've never won against Thanatos with the bow, while with the other weapons I usually beat him by 10+ enemies.

Last edited:

Ainu

Got the first "ending" yesterday after 31 attempts, quite pleased with that. Even better, it was with the sword, which was the only weapon I hadn't cleared with, and I arrived at the final boss in pretty bad shape. Shitty build, down to my last death defiance and not even full health. So I pretty much got that one for free. :lol:

I guess it's time for some cautious first attempts at heat runs. My builds are still all over the place though, so it's going to be a struggle more often than not. Sometimes all the right gods just seem to fall into my lap and I've had a run where I finished the game with all death defiances intact and over half health left, but those are rare. Other times I just never get anything that works well together, despite running god keepsakes. I'm already not looking forward to extreme measures with a shitty build. :nervous:

Moby

Dick
I'm already not looking forward to extreme measures with a shitty build. :nervous:
Yeah I got destroyed at the first boss on my first EM run. There might be times where you wanna reset early on. It's been a while but for me hammers always decided the fate quite early.

Moby

Dick
This looks interesting, is it a Diablo type affair?
The combat and graphics are kinda similar and it is hack and slash as well. The overall game mechanic is entirely different though. Given it is a rogue like.

But yeah Diablo fans should enjoy it. Diablo 2 is one of my all time favourite games and I've loved this to bits as well. Both awesome games in their own right. And both absolutely insanely addictive. :lol:

Massive Spanner

Got the first "ending" yesterday after 31 attempts, quite pleased with that. Even better, it was with the sword, which was the only weapon I hadn't cleared with, and I arrived at the final boss in pretty bad shape. Shitty build, down to my last death defiance and not even full health. So I pretty much got that one for free. :lol:

I guess it's time for some cautious first attempts at heat runs. My builds are still all over the place though, so it's going to be a struggle more often than not. Sometimes all the right gods just seem to fall into my lap and I've had a run where I finished the game with all death defiances intact and over half health left, but those are rare. Other times I just never get anything that works well together, despite running god keepsakes. I'm already not looking forward to extreme measures with a shitty build. :nervous:
The sword is such a bastard. It's great early on but in the last area and the last boss I just get throttled cause it's such a massive disadvantage being so slow to hit and being fully melee. Only weapon I haven't cleared it with yet. Think I'm at 7 successes in 26 now (and I've done 3 or 4 of them with EM) but I always take a break of a week or two in between every few fails. I'll get back on it.

Ainu

3 pages and no comment on the OST? Absolutely legendary OST. Love this version in particular.

To be honest, it's probably the one side of the game that does the least for me personally. It's decent and fits the game well, but beyond that I wouldn't call it anything special.

Moby

Dick
To be honest, it's probably the one side of the game that does the least for me personally. It's decent and fits the game well, but beyond that I wouldn't call it anything special.
I really love it to bits. It's actually a lot more awesome when I'm fighting especially boss fights and especially the last boss but I also really enjoy it otherwise.

It really contrasts from the Transistor OST which I also absolutely love, which was more on the electronic side which is a conventional thing for games, especially Indie games. But I really loved that Darren Korb went for a proper metal/post-metal vibe in this, it is very refreshing compared to a lot of game OSTs which are usually a lot more chill/ambient. This suits this kind of game perfectly, which is pretty much 30 minute spurts of adrenalin filled rush and you need something to absolutely pump you up. But yeah I guess you need to have a certain liking for the genre itself as well.

Ainu

I really love it to bits. It's actually a lot more awesome when I'm fighting especially boss fights and especially the last boss but I also really enjoy it otherwise.

It really contrasts from the Transistor OST which I also absolutely love, which was more on the electronic side which is a conventional thing for games, especially Indie games. But I really loved that Darren Korb went for a proper metal/post-metal vibe in this, it is very refreshing compared to a lot of game OSTs which are usually a lot more chill/ambient. This suits this kind of game perfectly, which is pretty much 30 minute spurts of adrenalin filled rush and you need something to absolutely pump you up. But yeah I guess you need to have a certain liking for the genre itself as well.
That's just it, I'm about as metal as they come. :p For a standalone, instrumental sort of proggy metal album with some stoner influences this wouldn't be bad actually, but compared to actual bands in that genre, it's always going to come up a little short.

Moby

Dick
That's just it, I'm about as metal as they come. :p For a standalone, instrumental sort of proggy metal album with some stoner influences this wouldn't be bad actually, but compared to actual bands in that genre, it's always going to come up a little short.
Yeah well for sure, you can't compare it to the best bands in the genre, I was thinking more from a gaming OST standpoint and how it ties into the intent of the game. It's pretty good prog/post metal that enhances the game experience and makes for a good background for study/work. :p

Irwin99

Looking forward to playing this at Christmas. How is the story?

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Looking forward to playing this at Christmas. How is the story?
I liked the story up until a certain point. It's very well written, though. It's funny, charming and there's a LOT of it. You'd have to put in a lot of hours before you encounter repeating dialogue. They did an incredible amount of work in that aspect.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Finally got the bloody Platinum!

That was a grind, and for one trophy in particular. God knows how many hours that took me. Great game though. Excellent.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"

Fantastic composer, one of the best in the biz.

Ainu

I have to say I stopped playing not long after getting the 10 clears for the first ending. There's clearly still a lot of story to uncover but I was already feeling the grind, and was only in the 30's in terms of runs. Upgrading weapons, maxing out bonds etc, felt like it would be an insane slog. Like dozens and dozens and dozens of additional runs.

I had a great time with it but I don't enjoy it enough to justify that. Shame though, because I really enjoyed the writing and wanted to see the rest of it.

Massive Spanner

I have to say I stopped playing not long after getting the 10 clears for the first ending. There's clearly still a lot of story to uncover but I was already feeling the grind, and was only in the 30's in terms of runs. Upgrading weapons, maxing out bonds etc, felt like it would be an insane slog. Like dozens and dozens and dozens of additional runs.

I had a great time with it but I don't enjoy it enough to justify that. Shame though, because I really enjoyed the writing and wanted to see the rest of it.
Same as. Got my 10 clears with each weapon and that's enough for me, now. I got the ending credits at least.

Great game, though, for sure. Very rarely into anything that involves me repeating over and over again but it did it so damn well.