Hakim Ziyech

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Anyone been following this guy a bit? 22 years old attacking midfielder from FC Twente. Left footed and great at set-pieces.

2013/2014:
28 apps, 9 goals / 9 assists

2014/2015 (FC Twente ended 10th in the league)
31 apps, 11 goals / 16 assists (27 goals/assists total just like Memphis who had 22 goals and 5 assists)
goal/assist every 100 minutes

This season:
12 apps, 7 goals / 4 assists
goal/assist every 97 minutes

He's got excellent stats and is the absolute main man at FC Twente which have a shit squad and are 15th in the Eredivisie.

Last edited:

DannyDash

I like this guy a lot, seen him a couple of times and he looks the real deal, probs the best player in the division and without him Twente would be in deep trouble.

Similar mould to James Rodriguez rather than a Silva/Mata.

Dr. Funkenstein

Not CAF Geert Wilders
Very good player.. too bad our Dutch FA/Manager totally f**ked up so he choose to play for Morocco.
Not just the manager. You think he would have a fair chance to compete for the No. 10 position with Sneijder?

It's a shame, because he's not only skilled, he has got vision, a real creative football brain. I'm not saying he will be that good, but he has football brain to pull the strings, to be a real playmaker like Iniesta, the one that ties intricate attacks together.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Great long-range shooting too. I think he is the real deal and it's common knowledge in the Netherlands that he's gonna leave Twente.

Stadjer

Not just the manager. You think he would have a fair chance to compete for the No. 10 position with Sneijder?

It's a shame, because he's not only skilled, he has got vision, a real creative football brain. I'm not saying he will be that good, but he has football brain to pull the strings, to be a real playmaker like Iniesta, the one that ties intricate attacks together.
Sneijder is getting old, i think Ziyech could have been his successor. I dont see any number 10 as talented as him. Blind/Hiddink should have given him a chance since they selected him but didnt give him any playtime. Then Ziyech was in great form and likely the best player in the Eredivisie but other players (mostly Ajax players since Blind seems to prefer them) got selected and got playtime.

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
Sneijder is getting old, i think Ziyech could have been his successor. I dont see any number 10 as talented as him. Blind/Hiddink should have given him a chance since they selected him but didnt give him any playtime. Then Ziyech was in great form and likely the best player in the Eredivisie but other players (mostly Ajax players since Blind seems to prefer them) got selected and got playtime.
Eehm maybe because the Ajax players he chose where mainly defenders, didnt know that was Ziyech's position? Or Klaassen who played as a defensive/controlling midfielder? It was a huge mistake not to pick Ziyech, Affelay didnt deserve a call at all for example (Also Hiddink's fault).

Dr. Funkenstein

Not CAF Geert Wilders
I was talking about a fair chance. That doesn't mean he should have been selected, it would mean he would get to play instead of Sneijder who was playing poorly most of the qualifiers, at least a few matches.

But Sneijder is the nations little darling who was only judged on his performances by Van Gaal for the first time since about 2004. A manager under pressure will never bench him for this Maroccan, he will get slaughtered. As poor as he is, with managers without a very firm backbone will have his place in the starting line up till he's 38 and still managing to put one foot in front of the other. It's not like the press payed any attention to Ziyech not beeing picked, they were busy making up things to make Sneijder look good. So I think it's a shame, but I can't blame Ziyech.

Stadjer

I was talking about a fair chance. That doesn't mean he should have been selected, it would mean he would get to play instead of Sneijder who was playing poorly most of the qualifiers, at least a few matches.

But Sneijder is the nations little darling who was only judged on his performances by Van Gaal for the first time since about 2004. A manager under pressure will never bench him for this Maroccan, he will get slaughtered. As poor as he is, with managers without a very firm backbone will have his place in the starting line up till he's 38 and still managing to put one foot in front of the other. It's not like the press payed any attention to Ziyech not beeing picked, they were busy making up things to make Sneijder look good. So I think it's a shame, but I can't blame Ziyech.
No true, i dont blame Ziyech at all. He just got ignored and not taken serious. Ita really a shame he doesnt play for the Dutch team because i think he will be a very good player in the future. Maybe not world class but very good.

Eila

Him and Corona werethe last good players at Twente, and Corona was picked by Porto.
Wondered why nobody picked him.

LazyRed-Ninja

Dutchman, who could have chosen any tagline.
I started a Ziyech thread during his time at Twente but can not seem to find it but i found this one.

Star player at Ajax and underway to make history with Morocco by reaching a place at the World Cup since 1998. Very talented left footed player who can score and assist.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
It would be interesting do discover him next summer.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Very talented player with a lot of creativity and a good left foot. Tends to go missing when the going gets tough though. Kind of like a poor man's Özil.

Don't think he's good enough for a top team and lacks the mentality to do well at a lower level team in a top league. Definitely not someone United should go for.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Very talented player with a lot of creativity and a good left foot. Tends to go missing when the going gets tough though. Kind of like a poor man's Özil.

Don't think he's good enough for a top team and lacks the mentality to do well at a lower level team in a top league. Definitely not someone United should go for.
He also looks light in terms of physical impact.

LazyRed-Ninja

Bumped. At the time of the OP Ziyech played at FC Twente, we are now 2.5 seasons further. I remember making a thread about him before he went to Ajax i believe but can not find it.

This Ajax team has a lot of talent with players like De Light, De Jong and Ziyech. Ziyech has developed significantly. Third season at Ajax and already scored 10 in 13 (in comparison to 9 in 34 last season). I bumped this thread because many have been talking about Frenkie and De Light, but Ziyech has been instrumental as well. He has also become an important player for the national team of Morocco. He has great vision and technique. He could make a big transfer next season. He can play as an attacking midfielder and on the wings (cut in type).

Curious to see how this Ajax will fair against Real Madrid. They (Ajax) have showed some impressive displays already against the likes of Benfica and Bayern.

ps: Yes, we know its the Eredivisie, but gems do come out of them. Lately its been hit and miss, with Depay as an example (but who has been developing good to be fair at Lyon, but this Ajax side has some serious talent in it).

Last edited:

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
He's Ajax most important player if you ask me. His improvement this season has been immense. I always doubted him and thought he would be like Bryan Ruiz, but after seeing him in the CL this year...

Im gutted he choose to play for Morroco instead of the Netherlands. Especially since he wanted to play for us and we fecked it up.

LazyRed-Ninja

He's Ajax most important player if you ask me. His improvement this season has been immense. I always doubted him and thought he would be like Bryan Ruiz, but after seeing him in the CL this year...

Im gutted he choose to play for Morroco instead of the Netherlands. Especially since he wanted to play for us and we fecked it up.
Im from the Netherlands too! If United would sell Mata, i can see Ziyech as a potential attacking midfielder replacement with his vision and technique. Considering you follow the Eredivisie too, would you say that is realistic or a step to big at this point of time? Yes im disappointed too how Ziyech was threated, he would be immense for the dutch national team.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Im from the Netherlands too! If United would sell Mata, i can see Ziyech as a potential attacking midfielder replacement with his vision and technique. Considering you follow the Eredivisie too, would you say that is realistic or a step to big at this point of time? Yes im disappointed too how Ziyech was threated, he would be immense for the dutch national team.
Id say technically, Ziyech is good enough to do it in any league and for any team. He takes a lot of risks in the way he plays though and at a club like United, those risks better pay out in the beginning or you're out of the starting eleven.

Though personally, I hope United take a punt at him. He's great to watch.

Bale Bale Bale

Supports
Spurs
I've been watching a bit of Ajax recently so have managed to see Ziyech on a few occasions. From what I saw of him he obviously has good ability but he is very frustrating to watch in that he hardly ever takes the simple option, it's almost as if every time he has the ball he either has to hit a hollywood pass, thread the perfect through-ball or try and score a screamer, maybe if he were to move he'd rein it in a bit as he probably knows he can get away with it playing for Ajax in the Eredivisie.

Ekeke

I've been watching a bit of Ajax recently so have managed to see Ziyech on a few occasions. From what I saw of him he obviously has good ability but he is very frustrating to watch in that he hardly ever takes the simple option, it's almost as if every time he has the ball he either has to hit a hollywood pass, thread the perfect through-ball or try and score a screamer, maybe if he were to move he'd rein it in a bit as he probably knows he can get away with it playing for Ajax in the Eredivisie.
I remember watching Suarez playing on the right for Ajax too, he tried to do too much himself as well.

De Bruyne for Wolfsburg was another one, gave the ball away a lot but created a lot of chances. It made me think Guardiola and LVG would have less interest in him, but low and behold City signed him and he's been outstanding.

Ajaxsuarez

Supports
Ajax
this is precisely true. he can be incredibly frustrating. when it comes of however he can play like Mahrez, Özil, or Pirlo:

onemanarmy

His goals/assists are deceiving. Ajax and PSV are miles ahead everyone else, even Blind is scoring hattricks ffs. Good player, not sure he's our level.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Isn’t it a bit weird how he’s still in the Eredivisie? I know he’s only 25, but the best talents tend to leave the league a lot earlier.

Seems like the type of player who blows too hot and cold for a bigger side to make use of him. Happy coasting at Ajax?

izec

Isn’t it a bit weird how he’s still in the Eredivisie? I know he’s only 25, but the best talents tend to leave the league a lot earlier.

Seems like the type of player who blows too hot and cold for a bigger side to make use of him. Happy coasting at Ajax?
He was close to moving to Roma in the summer

Ekeke

His goals/assists are deceiving. Ajax and PSV are miles ahead everyone else, even Blind is scoring hattricks ffs. Good player, not sure he's our level.
Of course they are. You just need to look at the players who have done similar over the last few years and where they are now.

The top goalscorer and top assist maker of 16/17 are still playing in the league past the age of 25. Same as Ziyech.

A year before that one of the best CMs in the league was Klassen. He spent 2 years barely getting a game for Everton and is now at Werder Bremen

So obviously those goals and assists dont translate 1 to 1 with the top leagues. It should be more of a guide that someone who does well there might be do well at a decent sized club in the premier league but its just a chance.

Ajax have done fairly well in the champions league so far this season. So there probably is a little bit more to this team than in the past, but its still just a chance these players can play as well in the premier league

worldinmotion66

I think he would improve playing with better players. Morocco are a decent side but he still stands out as the biggest talent. A brilliant technical player.

Bole Top

I just can't take players from that league seriously anymore and that's why I'm not that bothered with us missing on De Ligt or that other Ajax youngster. it's basically U-23 league these days and every "star" player is worth at least 60 mill. at current prices. Huntelaar at 35 is still scoring for fun there as well as de Jong and no one would want them here. eredivisie's last season top scorer is still without a goal in his new club and it's the end of december. in other words - no thanks.

Gerald G

It is too hit and miss getting players from the Eredivisie. Blind scored a hattrick recently, Tadic absolutely smashing it... it's just tough for me. But Ziyech is a good player although I'm not actually certain how good he is. It would be a risk in my opinion.

Classical Mechanic

Jahanbakhsh was another one laying waste to the Dutch league last year but hasn’t made any impression here yet. Mount and Baker have found The Championship a harder league to stand out in too.

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)
Really rose to the occasion for those two games against Bayern, hardly the first time in his career.

20 seconds onwards you can see what he's about.

Ajaxsuarez

Supports
Ajax
I just can't take players from that league seriously anymore and that's why I'm not that bothered with us missing on De Ligt or that other Ajax youngster. it's basically U-23 league these days and every "star" player is worth at least 60 mill. at current prices. Huntelaar at 35 is still scoring for fun there as well as de Jong and no one would want them here. eredivisie's last season top scorer is still without a goal in his new club and it's the end of december. in other words - no thanks.
Meanwhile Arek Milik starts for Napoli, Davinson Sanchez for Spurs

Skills

Snitch
Meanwhile Arek Milik starts for Napoli, Davinson Sanchez for Spurs
Go back just a little further and you have Eriksen at Spurs, and Suarez at Liverpool.

Good players are good players no matter what league.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
While I agree it's nearly impossible to garantuee if an Eredivisie player can make it abroad, there's a clear distinction between the Davy Klaassens and Luuk de Jong's who failed and the guys like Suarez and Eriksen who didn't. Davy Klaassen, Luuk en Siem de Jong, Bas Dost, Vincent Jansen etcetc are all good all round players. They don't really excell in anything, but they're decent overall. In a shit league like the Eredivisie, where most player are subpar at most things, this is awesome, because it means that your better at almost everything than almost everybody.

If you move to, for instance, the premier league. You find yourself in an environment where the average player is much stronger, much faster en more tenacious than they were used to in the Eredivisie which means they're now still all round players, but instead of being better at everything than most others, they're slightly worst at almost everything than all others. That's why I'm quite sure that if Donny van de Beek goes to the premier league, he will fail spectacularly, because he doesn't have that extre something. He's a fine goalscorer, he's not slow, his technique is fine etcetc, but he doesn't really excell at anything. Hakim Ziyech on the other hand, does have something special, he has a truly amazing left foot, fantastic vision and flawless technique. He might not be physically strong, he might be a bit small and he tends to take a little too many risks, but the things he excells at are useful for any team in any league.

Still, there's not garantuees, but with Ziyech I suspect he might have a chance. He's more Suarez / Eriksen than Luuk de Jong / Klaassen.

imho.

johanovic

From Holland we had Van Basten, Gullit, Koeman, Rikjhard,Nistelroy,Van Dijk,Bergkamp, Overmars,Jaap Stam, Robben, Kluivert, Seedorf to name a few....
Clearly a league not worth scouting...... Of course the Dutch league has given us and will continue to do so many great players. Ziyech, De Light, De Jong, Lozano are players I would not be against seeing in a United shirt.