Hakim Ziyech

lon ball2

And Maddison too?
In an ideal world - you just need to look at the city squad to see what’s needed to get back to the top. Sadly I predict we won’t get CL which rules out Sancho, then we will sell Pogba for 150mil, buy Maddison for £100 and the glazers will pocket the rest

It’s not just the Skill-set I like about Ziyech, it’s his work-rate and never stop attitude. We need that

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
In an ideal world - you just need to look at the city squad to see what’s needed to get back to the top. Sadly I predict we won’t get CL which rules out Sancho, then we will sell Pogba for 150mil, buy Maddison for £100 and the glazers will pocket the rest

It’s not just the Skill-set I like about Ziyech, it’s his work-rate and never stop attitude. We need that
No, the Glazer's won't pocket the rest. It doesn't work like that.

lon ball2

I’m not talking literally pocket it - the “profit” from any Pogba sale won’t be re-invested into the squad. Same as with Ronaldo, and Lukaku this summer. If we sell Pogba will will likely net spend 50m max next summer.

I don’t have any intention of de-failing the thread this is about Ziyech. Would you sign him?

Last edited:

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
That’s one of the most cringeworthy arguments being so thrown around so often on here. So what if no other club went in for him? Do you base your opinion on a player on that? No better club went in on Maguire when he left Hull for Leicester, VVD was at Southampton for how long and untill Liverpool went in and bought him?
That's not what I am implying. You said we were run by morons. I'm not necessarily disagreeing with that, but if no other club went for him particularly when he was available for such a low price, then isn't every other club in the world also run by morons?

Last edited:

Kostov

That's not what I am implying. You said we were run by morons. I'm not necessarily disagreeing with that, but if no other club went for him particularly when he was available for such a low price, then isn't every other club in the world also run by morons?
What other big club has players of the quality of Lingard and Mata starting week in week out?

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
What other big club has players of the quality of Lingard and Mata starting week in week out?
Not many, if any, to be fair. He'd improve us, no doubt. He'd improve quite a few other big clubs too.

I certainly agree that the "No other top club went for him so why should we" argument is silly. I do think we should have had a sniff regardless of if anyone else did. I just think it's odd literally no one pulled the trigger, considering that £30m gets you sod all now.

dutchred

He has been so good this season. in the past he has been very Inconsistent and frustrating but seems to have reached a new level of consistency this season

Le Red

Every other club in the world doesn't have the same need as us. Our attack can't score a goal to save their lives.

Ekeke

Since when does money matter to you?

Ha, ha.

He's surely - too one-footed, and too used to performing in a weaker league to move to the premiership at the age of 27.
Yeah its not like he was one of the best players in the champions league and this thread is bumped again because of doing well in the champions league. You know that competition we cant even get into

Mark Pawelek

Yeah its not like he was one of the best players in the champions league and this thread is bumped again because of doing well in the champions league. You know that competition we cant even get into
To be honest, at that price I can't object. Even if he fails here, it wouldn't be awful. I just think we'd need two right wingers, in case he can't cut it in the premiership. It is, I believe, physically, the most difficult league in the world. He'll be arriving from a tier 2 country.

My main objections to him are:
  • Technical weaknesses. In detail - his Opta stats for "dispossed", and "bad control" are bad.
  • He's arriving from a tier 2 league. Going into the toughest league in the world.
  • He's not too-footed. Too footed wingers can cut inside to shoot on their left, or go outside to cross with their right.

But at £25m - £30m, who can complain if he fails? I just think it will be a mistake to big him up too much. So I detailed my objections. Just so that fans don't expect miracles from him. Is he better than Mata, Lingard, and Pereira? Yes.

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)
Technical weaknesses. In detail - his Opta stats for "dispossed", and "bad control" are bad.
The 'technical weaknesses' made me smile a bit. He's technically brilliant, it's just that he's so good for Ajax that he can do whatever the feck he wants and sometimes he tries the most outrageous stuff, and he's always looking to be decisive.

Scored a brilliant goal against Valencia yesterday, hit the crossbar with a similar attempt 30 minutes later. Hit the woodwork with a ridiculous attempt against Lille as well. He's had so many great performances against notable clubs in the CL now.

Out of all the leagues I would probably say the Premier League is the last one he should go to though, unless he can sign for City. Physical intensity is so ridiculous and the way most other teams play doesn't suit him like the Ajax system does.

So yeah no way he would be able to consistently make a difference for a club like United or Everton week in week out like he does at Ajax.

He would rip up the Spanish or Italian league for sure though, this guy is a little bit more special than someone like Dries Mertens who was a great player for PSV and then produced insane numbers for a club like Napoli. But with the form Ajax has been in since he signed for them (making a EL final in his first year) and the salary he's getting, clubs like Napoli or Sevilla aren't a step up for him at the moment.

Ekeke

To be honest, at that price I can't object. Even if he fails here, it wouldn't be awful. I just think we'd need two right wingers, in case he can't cut it in the premiership. It is, I believe, physically, the most difficult league in the world. He'll be arriving from a tier 2 country.

My main objections to him are:
  • Technical weaknesses. In detail - his Opta stats for "dispossed", and "bad control" are bad.
  • He's arriving from a tier 2 league. Going into the toughest league in the world.
  • He's not too-footed. Too footed wingers can cut inside to shoot on their left, or go outside to cross with their right.

But at £25m - £30m, who can complain if he fails? I just think it will be a mistake to big him up too much. So I detailed my objections. Just so that fans don't expect miracles from him. Is he better than Mata, Lingard, and Pereira? Yes.
Mahrez isnt 2 footed either and hes playing at a higher level than United are since hes a standout in the champions league. He's obviously a good player and would be one of the better right wingers in the league so no point mentioning Mata and Lingard. The only question is if he can be the best one or if he's not as good as the likes of Mahrez

Mark Pawelek

Mahrez isnt 2 footed either and hes playing at a higher level than United are since hes a standout in the champions league. He's obviously a good player and would be one of the better right wingers in the league so no point mentioning Mata and Lingard. The only question is if he can be the best one or if he's not as good as the likes of Mahrez
I don't care whether Ziyech is better or worse than Mahrez. I understand United made no bids for Mahrez. Ziyech is an improvement on United's attacking midfield (Mata and Lingard - so why I mentioned them) because only Pogba is a significant goal threat. I think Ziyech's transfer market competition will be other, younger, attacking midfielders like
Jadon Sancho
Nikolai Laursen
Federico Chiesa
Ousmane Dembélé
Mitchell van Bergen
Kai Havertz
Calvin Stengs
Dani Olmo
Martin Ødegaard
James Maddison
Josip Brekalo

Last edited:

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Yeah it does. Quit being one of those pseduo financial experts who think Glazers have done well. They dont literally pocket it but that's a saying in business for prioritizing money

Sjaakmeoff

Just came out that Ziyech got an upgraded contact this summer. Makes him the best played player in The Netherlands (+- 5mio p/y), but limited transfer fee of 25mio is gone.

So, if clubs still want him they have to pay big bucks.

Bloedrood

Just came out that Ziyech got an upgraded contact this summer. Makes him the best played player in The Netherlands (+- 5mio p/y), but limited transfer fee of 25mio is gone.

So, if clubs still want him they have to pay big bucks.
Do you think that's actually true? I'm skeptical of anything Valentijn Driessen says these days. And Van der Sar has said last year Ajax don't do release clauses like that. Ajax being a publically traded company makes it a bit hard for Van der Sar to lie about that stuff.

Sjaakmeoff

I do. Usually i don't believe a word Valentijn says. But i do believe his current wages justify the fact they can ask for him whatever they want now. And i don't know if the agreement was drawn up. But it was there.

Bloedrood

At this point he might not even want to come to Man United by the way. He turned down Sevilla too this summer because he didn't see them as enough of a step up from Ajax. Champions League performance weighs heavy for him. And he seems to really be in his element at Ajax.

RooneyLegend

At this point he might not even want to come to Man United by the way. He turned down Sevilla too this summer because he didn't see them as enough of a step up from Ajax. Champions League performance weighs heavy for him. And he seems to really be in his element at Ajax.
Stop it, no Ajax player would turn us down unless they have an offer from the other giants of European football.

Mark Pawelek

United apparently turned down Fernandes because his pass completion rate wasn't good enough. I don't see how he's a better bet than Fernandes. We didn't buy Fernandes for £55m. We never bid on Ziyech for £25m. Why will we bid now when the price just went up? Obviously they're different positions; but they're both attacking.

He's 26 now. That pass completion rate won't be improving. He's as good as he'll ever be now.
Ziyech weakest stats are:
Pass completion rate.
Bad first touch.
Dispossessed.

imghost

Last edited:

Bloedrood

Stop it, no Ajax player would turn us down unless they have an offer from the other giants of European football.
I can see why you'd say that, but I don't think you would say that if you'd followed him more closely at Ajax this past few seasons. He's been a bit of an exception. The main reason he hasn't left Ajax yet is because he only wants to go to clubs that are challenging for the league and the Champions League, he's been turning the rest down because he doesn't consider them as a step up from Ajax.

RooneyLegend

I can see why you'd say that, but I don't think you would say that if you'd followed him more closely at Ajax this past few seasons. He's been a bit of an exception. The main reason he hasn't left Ajax yet is because he only wants to go to clubs that are challenging for the league and the Champions League, he's been turning the rest down because he doesn't consider them as a step up from Ajax.
Mate, we're second on the European wage list, 76000 watch every match and one of the biggest fan bases around. You sneeze in the right manner for our club and you're big news.

The clubs he's turned down are nowhere near the size of our club. Wasn't Overmars trying to get Arsenal to have a look at him? The real reason he hasn't left is because none of the really big clubs in Europe have tried to sign him.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Tell me again why no one went for him in the summer?

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)
When Overmars said this summer he was really surprised Arsenal hadn't signed Ziyech he wasn't trying to take the piss or draw attention to flog him off, he was being dead serious and meant what he said literally.

And rightfully so, what a player. Has so many of nice moments and solid allround displays against good European sides now.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
When Overmars said this summer he was really surprised Arsenal hadn't signed Ziyech he wasn't trying to take the piss or draw attention to flog him off, he was being dead serious and meant what he said literally.

And rightfully so, what a player. Has so many of nice moments and solid allround displays against good European sides now.
On tonight's performance perfectly suited to a number 10 role as well