Hakim Ziyech

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Makes you wonder WHY other clubs didn't take him for that money. £35m really is peanuts in todays prices, there must be something wrong with him?

I assume it's the ridiculously high shot % from silly angles and distances.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
Something about how Chelsea are dealing with transfers outside of the transfer window doesn't sit well with me.

Fair enough they aren't actually breaking any rules but the windows were put in place to so clubs don't transfer players outside of them. I don't think many clubs are operating in the same manner.
Liverpool signed Minamino in December. But anyway, most clubs will be putting things in place now for next season.

The Ziyech deal just sounds like a gentleman's agreement as talks took place in January but Ajax wanted the transfer to take place in the summer. So delayed, private talks between the two clubs. It all seems like it has been dealt with professionally and amicably.

It would also make sense to keep the relationship sweet if we well and truly are looking at Onana.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Something about how Chelsea are dealing with transfers outside of the transfer window doesn't sit well with me.

Fair enough they aren't actually breaking any rules but the windows were put in place to so clubs don't transfer players outside of them. I don't think many clubs are operating in the same manner.
You can sign a player whenever you like, the windows are there for registration purposes.

Technically the windows shut in June aswell but clubs still do business that month.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
This Ziyech deal was more or less agreed in January sometime, even December IMO. Was just a case of trying to persuade Ajax to sell him in Jan which we couldnt manage. So agreed it for the summer.

Most transfers are negotiated and the framework of the deal sorted out way before the summer window opens. If the window is shut, bids are still being put in for players, no doubt

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
Makes you wonder WHY other clubs didn't take him for that money. £35m really is peanuts in todays prices, there must be something wrong with him?

I hope he turns out to be a bargain

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
For 35m pounds, he is a steal of summer transfer window. It will be interesting to see how he copes up with physical side of the game but it will be fun watching him play football in England.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Wait, Chelsea with the terrible defence they have are going to spend 218 mostly on midfielders and wingers? What?!
Yes? LB is our very obvious weakness and it would immediately become a strength with Alaba should this hypothetical play out. There are also rumours of Onana coming to Chelsea with Kepa + cash going the other way; I didn't include them here as I didn't want to seem a complete and utter muppet.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Yes? LB is our very obvious weakness and it would immediately become a strength with Alaba should this hypothetical play out. There are also rumours of Onana coming to Chelsea with Kepa + cash going the other way; I didn't include them here as I didn't want to seem a complete and utter muppet.
Kepa plus cash? Wow

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Kepa plus cash? Wow
Kepa isn't on a ludicrous wage and seems desperate to get away from the club; Ajax have no options currently at goalkeeper and Kepa is significantly better than anyone in their academy. If Chelsea offered Kepa + £30m that seems an entirely reasonable offer for all parties.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Kepa isn't on a ludicrous wage and seems desperate to get away from the club; Ajax have no options currently at goalkeeper and Kepa is significantly better than anyone in their academy. If Chelsea offered Kepa + £30m that seems an entirely reasonable offer for all parties.
Wasn't kepa bought for a record fee? And adding 30m on top of that for onana?

unplayable

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
So you are replacing world record fee Kepa with new world record fee Onana?

mu4c_20le

And why would Kepa go to Ajax ? What are you smoking in that bus...

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
There's no way Kepa will move to the Dutch league and there's no way they can afford his wages anyway (which are not far off £200K a week).

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Wasn't kepa bought for a record fee? And adding 30m on top of that for onana?
So you are replacing world record fee Kepa with new world record fee Onana?
Genuinely don't understand why this is interpreted as a world record fee for Onana? Unless you think Kepa on the open market is worth ~£45m when he plainly is not.

And why would Kepa go to Ajax ? What are you smoking in that bus...
Reckon he'd rather go there than be second choice if it's put to him in those terms. He's plainly not good enough. Only feasible alternative in the top 5 leagues is if Bilbao sell Unai Simon and buy him back at a discount. And if he goes there then he has no hope of CL football.

There's no way Kepa will move to the Dutch league and there's no way they can afford his wages anyway (which are not far off £200K a week).
Is he actually on £200k per week? I thought it was more in the region of half that. Do you have a source? Regardless, going to Ajax and being first choice is surely more appealing than warming the bench for Chelsea.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Is he actually on £200k per week? I thought it was more in the region of half that. Do you have a source? Regardless, going to Ajax and being first choice is surely more appealing than warming the bench for Chelsea.
Every report I've seen has him on around £190K a week. Both when he signed and also when he got fined a weeks wages after refusing to be subbed off.

Here's a mix of sources, all putting him on £190K...

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/footbal...-remains-line-despite-earning-stay-execution/
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/feb/25/david-luiz-maurizio-sarri-lift-chelsea-tottenham
https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/8509827/chelsea-kepa-arrizabalaga-fined-apology-sarri/

Players don't go for world record fees and then earn reasonable wages.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Every report I've seen has him on around £190K a week. Both when he signed and also when he got fined a weeks wages after refusing to be subbed off.

Here's a mix of sources, all putting him on £190K...

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/footbal...-remains-line-despite-earning-stay-execution/
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/feb/25/david-luiz-maurizio-sarri-lift-chelsea-tottenham
https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/8509827/chelsea-kepa-arrizabalaga-fined-apology-sarri/

Players don't go for world record fees and then earn reasonable wages.
Fair enough; £30m may not be enough then. My thinking was to cover 6 years of his wages more or less but that is just insane. Thought he was on a more reasonable deal because he was purchased via buyout clause.

Christ, what a calamity of a signing he's turned out to be.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

Very high risk/high reward player. Somebody in this thread analogised his style to that in Tennis as a ‘serve player(?)’. I don’t watch Tennis but the implication there being that it’s all or nothing with Ziyech. Still... If the foundation is there and the team play in a style that adorns him, he’ll do well.

I think he’s very comparable to Di Maria, minus Di Maria’s speed — both are gangly attacking midfielders with a surprisingly high level of tenacity and endurance in their play. Equally one footed (both lefties at that) and seem to prefer the riskier option before playing it safe.

I think it’s possible he ends up like Di Maria was here too — a fantastic start before falling off a cliff a little when things get tough...

Bloedrood

So Ajax don't have 2 young talented keepers who they've been preparing to take over from Onana, just like they prepared Onana to take over from Cillessen, just like they prepared Cillessen etc. Notice a pattern? You think they'll rather pay for Ajax standards high wages to a poor keeper like Kepa. Yeah, that sounds like an entirely reasonable thing to do for Ajax.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Very high risk/high reward player. Somebody in this thread analogised his style to that in Tennis as a ‘serve player(?)’. I don’t watch Tennis but the implication there being that it’s all or nothing with Ziyech. Still... If the foundation is there and the team play in a style that adorns him, he’ll do well.

I think he’s very comparable to Di Maria, minus Di Maria’s speed — both are gangly attacking midfielders with a surprisingly high level of tenacity and endurance in their play. Equally one footed (both lefties at that) and seem to prefer the riskier option before playing it safe.

I think it’s possible he ends up like Di Maria was here too — a fantastic start before falling off a cliff a little when things get tough...
Yes he's very similar to Di Maria.

Honestly Di Maria wasn't as bad as it's made out - he was the highest assister in the league until he got benched. He just got fed up with the boring football of LVG and clearly wanted to go to Paris (he did before he even joined us).

For me Ziyech has the determination and doggedness to succeed in England. The only way he fails is if he fails to settle, but i'd be very surprised.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
So Ajax don't have 2 young talented keepers who they've been preparing to take over from Onana, just like they prepared Onana to take over from Cillessen, just like they prepared Cillessen etc. Notice a pattern? You think they'll rather pay for Ajax standards high wages to a poor keeper like Kepa. Yeah, that sounds like an entirely reasonable thing to do for Ajax.
No they actually don't right now? It's actually a huge area of weakness for them at the moment. Right now their second choice keeper is Bruno Varela, who is on loan from Benfica because he is such a calamitous trainwreck. Kepa may not be up to snuff at Chelsea but he is miles ahead of any keeper in the Ajax system right now (outside of Onana obviously).

Bloedrood

No they actually don't right now? It's actually a huge area of weakness for them at the moment. Right now their second choice keeper is Bruno Varela, who is on loan from Benfica because he is such a calamitous trainwreck. Kepa may not be up to snuff at Chelsea but he is miles ahead of any keeper in the Ajax system right now.
Varela is just a stop gap 2nd keeper, that's why they loaned him. Scherpen and Kotarski are being prepared to take over from Onana. Scherpen is the current Netherlands under 21 keeper, really big guy 6 ft 8 tall. They're currently keeping for Jong Ajax, just like Onana was before Cillessen left. Ajax will try one of their own talents before even considering going for another keeper. But even if they're going for another keeper, I can't even see them being interested in Kepa, or interested in paying the kind of wages he'd require.

Last edited:

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Varela is just a stop gap 2nd keeper, that's why they loaned him. Scherpen and Kotarski are being prepared to take over from Onana. Scherpen is the current Netherlands under 21 keeper, really big guy 6 ft 8 tall. They're currently keeping for Jong Ajax, just like Onana was before Cillessen left. Ajax will try one of their own talents before even considering going for another keeper. But even if they're going for another keeper, I can't even see them being interested in Kepa, or interested in paying the kind of wages he'd require.
Yes and neither are prepared to play for the first team in the CL next season - if Kepa went to Ajax and effectively had his wages covered by a potential transfer fee paid by Chelsea on a short term deal this would seem a mutually beneficial solution.

Fully agree that Varela is a stop gap (and a poor one at that). I think this goes hand in hand with my point that Ajax don't have a ready replacement for Onana - prospects yes, but no one who is near ready to play at the top level. If Chelsea offer £30m + Kepa for Onana, Ajax effectively get 3 years of Kepa for free and reap any / all future transfer fees should he come good. Kepa is incentivised to take this deal because he'd be second choice at Chelsea, and this gives him the chance to play in the CL ahead of the World Cup in 2022.

I really don't understand why this is so far-fetched to be honest. Seems an ideal arrangement for all parties.

Stadjer

I am actually looking forward to see him play in the Premier League... hopefully he does well for Chelsea.

If he does well though it willl show how much our KNVB fecked up with him. He should have been playing for our national team and not for Morocco. We have some great talents but Ziyech would still have been a great option for the right wing role like he plays that role for Ajax.

jem

Who gives a flying one? Maybe Ed and co should take note and follow suite.

Cheech Wizard

Liverpool fan
Supports
Liverpool
Good player and will improve Chelsea, but his play in those final minutes against Spurs in the second leg really irked me at the time if I remember right. He went full Adel Taarabt mode mucking about doing back heels in his own half and losing the ball down at the corner flags when running down the clock.

tire4

No they actually don't right now? It's actually a huge area of weakness for them at the moment. Right now their second choice keeper is Bruno Varela, who is on loan from Benfica because he is such a calamitous trainwreck. Kepa may not be up to snuff at Chelsea but he is miles ahead of any keeper in the Ajax system right now (outside of Onana obviously).
They actually do have a very talented goalkeeper, I don't know what you're talking about. He's called Scherpen. He's the next big goalkeeper and will compete for 1st spot next season. Nobody in Amsterdam wants Kepla.

meamth

Good player and will improve Chelsea, but his play in those final minutes against Spurs in the second leg really irked me at the time if I remember right. He went full Adel Taarabt mode mucking about doing back heels in his own half and losing the ball down at the corner flags when running down the clock.
When you go to an elite level club, that will be banned immediately.

Pretty much like Mahrez, he will have to lessen his skills and perform at the highest level week in, week out.

Flair players are like that, Ronaldo for example, he will realize he has to cut his skills output, only do it when necessary.

tire4

Yes he's very similar to Di Maria.

Honestly Di Maria wasn't as bad as it's made out - he was the highest assister in the league until he got benched. He just got fed up with the boring football of LVG and clearly wanted to go to Paris (he did before he even joined us).

For me Ziyech has the determination and doggedness to succeed in England. The only way he fails is if he fails to settle, but i'd be very surprised.
Ziyech is more creative than di maria and more playmaker.

jackal&hyde

I am thinking the same. I might be a bit silly saying this but i think he is very over rated by some. CHO and Pulisic are better imo and he is there for squad depth. United need a first 11 RW and we can do a lot better then him.

Renegade

I am thinking the same. I might be a bit silly saying this but i think he is very over rated by some. CHO and Pulisic are better imo and he is there for squad depth. United need a first 11 RW and we can do a lot better then him.
name a better RW that’s not Sancho?

jackal&hyde

name a better RW that’s not Sancho?
There aren't many that would be good enough for where we want to be and Sancho looks like the main priority for the club. I would also go for Ousmane Dembélé if possible.

thepolice123

Ziyech, Barkley and Pullisic in the same team is going fun to watch.

Chelsea fans will pissing blood at amount of lost possessions.

zenith

This is really an example of how badly Chelsea messed up rather than a bargain. I'm not convinced he'll be all that brilliant right away, coming from the Dutch league.

He was supposed to be wrapped up in January where they and they finally managed to get it over the line in Feb.

Had this been us and bruno, we would have been crucified by the media and the fans alike.