Gaming Halo Infinite | Season 2 launches May 3rd - comes with two new maps!

Conor

This looks pretty good, it would be nice to have an enjoyable, competitive shooter where you don't die in .04 milliseconds.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
It looks really good. Back to more classic Halo but with some nice additions to make sure it doesn't feel too dated. Really looking forward to it.

I'm interested to see how it does as F2P. It'll be releasing near COD and Battlefield, and the likes of Fortnite, Warzone, Apex and even things like Rainbow already have such loyal fanbases, it'll be interesting to see what numbers they do and how long they can sustain for.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
It looks more like Halo 3 than any of the others since, and that's a good thing. F2P worries me, but I'll mostly be playing campaign.

Conor

Same. Multiplayer is always full of kids with too much time to get good while I never get past the meh stage. It's not enjoyable.

Not that I'm bitter :mad:
The ranked online has always been good for evening up the playing field, I have found.

Alock1

I'm in for the 'technical preview' this Thursday-Sunday. Can't wait.

Alock1

Damn, how do you get in?
Search Halo waypoint, sign up/sign in and go to your settings/preferences and it should let you say that you want to be considered for flighting

I had it turned on long before the news about the flights recently so not sure if that's why I've got in the first round or if pretty much everybody gets in

BristolRuss

I checked and I was already signed up for everything. Guess I just didn't get selected. Hopefully they do another wave in the future.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Gameplay looks good. Still doesn't look next gen, though.
It's Halo, as long as they serve up more polished Halo everyone will be happy. Kind of like COD....

Reinventing the game, or changing it drastically (think God of War) is not going to happen. I think I'm cool with that...

But yes, not new gen looking at all...

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
It's Halo, as long as they serve up more polished Halo everyone will be happy. Kind of like COD....

Reinventing the game, or changing it drastically (think God of War) is not going to happen. I think I'm cool with that...

But yes, not new gen looking at all...
I don't mind going for 120fp in MP. That's fine.

I'm curious about what the campaign looks like, now.

Alock1

Really enjoying it. Annoyingly mouse isn't working on console though which I was hoping to test out.

Grenades are OP, bots are too easy so far but overall gameplay is great fun and balance seems good. Sprint is pretty much pointless, barely any quicker than normal movement which is good. I haven't bothered with slide either, only seems there to appease which is fine by me.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Really enjoying it. Annoyingly mouse isn't working on console though which I was hoping to test out.

Grenades are OP, bots are too easy so far but overall gameplay is great fun and balance seems good. Sprint is pretty much pointless, barely any quicker than normal movement which is good. I haven't bothered with slide either, only seems there to appease which is fine by me.
I wouldn't bother with a mouse. It'll be the same as Halo MCC and stuff like Warzone, the auto aim will be far too strong and unbalanced.

But then even on PC I myself will probably go to controller to play through this first time. It's Halo, it just always seems right to me.

Alock1

I wouldn't bother with a mouse. It'll be the same as Halo MCC and stuff like Warzone, the auto aim will be far too strong and unbalanced.

But then even on PC I myself will probably go to controller to play through this first time. It's Halo, it just always seems right to me.
I only made the switch to mouse and keyboard this year. I don't have a PC but after playing mnkb at a mates one evening I decided to get my own and move my xbox to my desk. I'm limited for options on consolebthat support it so I've only really played Warzone and Cold War but on both I am miles better with mnkb. More aggressive, more accurate, do more damage, win higher % of fights, have a much better KD. And yet I hear a lot how the COD aim assist is so strong that controller players have a huge advantage, but within a few weeks I was tons better than with a controller I'd been gaming for 20+ years with.

I know Halo is supposed to be even stickier so it might be too much, but I just found mnkb more fun for a shooter. Feel like I have much more control and if I do pull off decent shooting then I know its mostly down to me and not aim assist.

Redlambs

I only made the switch to mouse and keyboard this year. I don't have a PC but after playing mnkb at a mates one evening I decided to get my own and move my xbox to my desk. I'm limited for options on consolebthat support it so I've only really played Warzone and Cold War but on both I am miles better with mnkb. More aggressive, more accurate, do more damage, win higher % of fights, have a much better KD. And yet I hear a lot how the COD aim assist is so strong that controller players have a huge advantage, but within a few weeks I was tons better than with a controller I'd been gaming for 20+ years with.

I know Halo is supposed to be even stickier so it might be too much, but I just found mnkb more fun for a shooter. Feel like I have much more control and if I do pull off decent shooting then I know its mostly down to me and not aim assist.
KB/M is way more fun and gas a higher skill ceiling 100%

It's at higher levels where the AA really plays into it's own tbh, you just have to look at the warzone tournaments and reactions from the top guys to the idea of Halo infinite having crossplay pro scene. Also controller on PC is a different beast altogether from the consoles, people on the likes of twitter who get butthurt everytime this is brought up don't seem to understand it's not about consoles and controllers, it's more about the PC side.

I'm glad you made the switch, though on console it's a little more of sketchy area stacking up with controller players. It all depends on how they do it with regards to lobbies. For example something like Fortnite forces you into PC/crossplay lobbies, whereas I'm not sure with Warzone/cod. Halo MCC though was absolutely woeful on release on Kb/m in multiplayer btw, not just because of AA too, because of the legacy code. I haven't played it in a long time so hopefully they fixed the issues.

Bosws87

Halo Infinite has bullet magnetism on mouse and keyboard (aim assist)

I haven't played it but sounds ridiculous balance can never be perfect but adding any form of aim assist to mouse users seems utterly broken.

Redlambs

Halo Infinite has bullet magnetism on mouse and keyboard (aim assist)

I haven't played it but sounds ridiculous balance can never be perfect but adding any form of aim assist to mouse users seems utterly broken.
Yep. It's an absolutely clown decision and one they'll have to undo pronto if they are serious about a pro scene.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Warzone aim assist is shit. It throws your aim off if there's more than one person close to each other. Everyone who switches from controller to mnk says it's easier (as in easier to kill people, not easier to use necessarily).

Redlambs

Warzone aim assist is shit. It throws your aim off if there's more than one person close to each other. Everyone who switches from controller to mnk says it's easier (as in easier to kill people, not easier to use necessarily).
Only at low-mid levels. The higher the ability, the more it comes into play. I mean, all you have to do is look at the pros/comp scene to see that.

Also, again, bare in mind we are talking PC controller more so than console. The higher fps, lower input delay are also tied in the to aim assist.

There is a definite trend to overpower the AA, that's a fact. (Also see the laughable decision on the new Halo to sneak it in to mouse ffs!). It's to do with making sure the younger generation of gamers want to be all sweaty and have dreams of streaming/competing as that's where the money trends are now. They start on console, where traditionally the sales are, then if they get good enough migrate to PC/controller.

Also on it being "easier", that again is only at lower/mid level. M/kB has a higher skill ceiling and as such if you truly want to be great, you have to train way more mechanics at the higher end. And no, before anyone pipes up, that doesn't mean the top controller players aren't hugely talented or purely rely on AA. But it is machine aid, the rotation factors alone are well beyond what a human with a mouse is capable of. Flick shots look cool of course, but mechanically they aren't king and even the best trackers (take Shroud for example as he would be the most known to most) is demonstrably slower than AA.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Only at low-mid levels. The higher the ability, the more it comes into play. I mean, all you have to do is look at the pros/comp scene to see that.

Also, again, bare in mind we are talking PC controller more so than console. The higher fps, lower input delay are also tied in the to aim assist.

There is a definite trend to overpower the AA, that's a fact. (Also see the laughable decision on the new Halo to sneak it in to mouse ffs!). It's to do with making sure the younger generation of gamers want to be all sweaty and have dreams of streaming/competing as that's where the money trends are now. They start on console, where traditionally the sales are, then if they get good enough migrate to PC/controller.

Also on it being "easier", that again is only at lower/mid level. M/kB has a higher skill ceiling and as such if you truly want to be great, you have to train way more mechanics at the higher end. And no, before anyone pipes up, that doesn't mean the top controller players aren't hugely talented or purely rely on AA. But it is machine aid, the rotation factors alone are well beyond what a human with a mouse is capable of. Flick shots look cool of course, but mechanically they aren't king and even the best trackers (take Shroud for example as he would be the most known to most) is demonstrably slower than AA.
Yeah but mid level is where most of us are at, so it doesn't really matter what Shroud is on with

Alock1

Yeah Veev, Bosws is low-tier, don't make him feel bad

Alock1

Loved the flight. I got 2 games in of PVP last night at about 4am, but it wasn't open for long.

From what I can tell, it's gone down really well and the reception has been really strong. The thing is, a strong reception from Halo fans doesn't necessarily mean it clicks with mainstream (if anything, I'd say the opposite)

Really interested to see if launching on PC and having f2p multiplayer (+ co op/campaign on gamepass) will bring significant numbers to Halo that they can sustain long term. From the very little we've seen, it feels like it could be a great Halo game, but it's not bringing anything new to the genre, and if you didn't like Halo before, there's no reason to think you'll like it now.

I'm sure it'll do well, but I don't think it'll be huge long term. Still.. it doesn't need to be huge anymore, it's no longer the hero product but just one of many big franchises.

Bosws87

Loved the flight. I got 2 games in of PVP last night at about 4am, but it wasn't open for long.

From what I can tell, it's gone down really well and the reception has been really strong. The thing is, a strong reception from Halo fans doesn't necessarily mean it clicks with mainstream (if anything, I'd say the opposite)

Really interested to see if launching on PC and having f2p multiplayer (+ co op/campaign on gamepass) will bring significant numbers to Halo that they can sustain long term. From the very little we've seen, it feels like it could be a great Halo game, but it's not bringing anything new to the genre, and if you didn't like Halo before, there's no reason to think you'll like it now.

I'm sure it'll do well, but I don't think it'll be huge long term. Still.. it doesn't need to be huge anymore, it's no longer the hero product but just one of many big franchises.
Theres been a sudden huge increase in the player base of splitgate which is very very Halo like just with portal like mechanic in the game, if that's an indication it may have a healthy player pool.

Edit: Should of said pc side, long established console halo has a huge following.

Last edited:

Alock1

Theres been a sudden huge increase in the player base of splitgate which is very very Halo like just with portal like mechanic in the game, if that's an indication it may have a healthy player pool.
Oh I'm sure playerbase will be fine, I can still get games easily enough on Halo 5 and even MCC so I'm not concerned about that.

Really like the look of splitgate. Waiting for them to patch mnkb on consoles and I'll try and get on the beta.

Conor

I think if Warzone isn't sorted out to some degree by the release of this, everyone and their mother will be jumping on, just to play something new.

Alock1

I think if Warzone isn't sorted out to some degree by the release of this, everyone and their mother will be jumping on, just to play something new.
It not being on PlayStation is a big hurdle to that. Can still get large numbers on Xbox and PC mind.

Don't forget a new cod and battlefield will be coming out at the same time, though neither are f2p.

Redlambs

Yeah but mid level is where most of us are at, so it doesn't really matter what Shroud is on with
And you'll never be any better with that kind of attitude!

@Alock1 Question: With COD (inc warzone) how does it work on console, are you still playing with console only lobbies on M/KB or are you forced into crossplay and vs other PC gamers? Same with Halo, how does it work on that?

Actually another question: I don't know if you'd know the difference (and obviously I don't mean that in any other way than you don't play on PC with direct mouse control), but on Warzone/Cod/Halo do they all do mouse smoothing/acceleration? (you'd know by various levels of floaty feeling to the mouse). For example both Fortnite and Sea of Thieves have them on, the former way too much too or at least about 2 years ago when I tested it they did.