Film Hamilton

lsd

The Oracle
Has come to Disney plus . Watched it last night and really enjoyed it the cast were fantastic the songs good and will be watching it again .

I wonder how accurate it is in terms of the storylines and incidents as i really know very little about US history and perhaps now know a bit more for watching it

izzydiggler

I saw it on stage in London last year and really enjoyed it...I didn’t think it was the masterpiece it’s portrayed as mind but glad I went.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Tried several times to get tickets to a show but didn't manage. It sold out so quickly everywhere and tickets were rather ridiculously priced as well. Watched about an hour of it so far on Disney and with a good surround system it really is quite enjoyable that way too.

Two of my biggest takeaways so far:
  • Hey Mindhunter guy is King George, that's hilarious
  • The stamina of the actors is insane. It's so fast paced between the movement and fast paced singing I don't know how they keep it up under what must be hot studio lights.

Tiber

It's nice to be able to watch a big theatre show at home. I have searched for Hamilton and a few other shows in the past.

There are a couple of shows I am interested in seeing, but wouldn't travel to London to watch them again

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
It's terrific theatre, and they've got some incredibly talented people in the cast (Lafayette/Jefferson being the standout for me), though I do wish LMM would stick to the writing.

That said, US history is just blah, and making a whole musical on a glorified accountant is a bit much. A more compelling central character next time please.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Was fortunate enough to see it in NY - not original cast - but still. Lived up to its hype for me on stage, which I figured would be impossible given the reputation. The wordplay, energy and sheer pace of it staggering, and some of the more traditional musical numbers are just as good as 'traditional' musicals. Quiet uptown is a masterpiece.

The Disney version is a great production - really interesting to be able to see faces and expressions and what not. But apparently it cost $75m! Can't understand that at all.

Jericholyte2

Was fortunate enough to see it in NY - not original cast - but still. Lived up to its hype for me on stage, which I figured would be impossible given the reputation. The wordplay, energy and sheer pace of it staggering, and some of the more traditional musical numbers are just as good as 'traditional' musicals. Quiet uptown is a masterpiece.

The Disney version is a great production - really interesting to be able to see faces and expressions and what not. But apparently it cost $75m! Can't understand that at all.
IIRC the $75m is how much Disney paid for the distribution rights for it. The original plan was to realease it in cinemas next year.

MarylandMUFan

I really enjoyed it and went down a youtube rabbit hole about the play for days afterwards. Turns out that Lin was working on the idea while he was filming the show House and Hugh Laurie gave him the line "You'll be back" when he mentioned the idea for the play which ended up being one of the best songs (and performances) in the entire play.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
My favorite fact is that Hamilton not only had 8 kids, but named another one Phillip. Seems to be a bit overlooked in the show!

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Our daughters had come across some of the songs from other things they watched on YouTube so we got Disney+ to watch it.
Have to say we all loved it, I gather they did change bits in the story but the writing and performances were superb. Well worth watching.
As others have said, King George was brilliant.