Hands up if you owe Fred an apology

Lee565

It's funny but naby keita cost around the same as fred but doesnt get the same harsh criticism fred has gotten and he joined a really settled flying liverpool that is being managed by one of the best managers in the world.

ReddBalls

I think he’s really good. His next issue is that teams are sussing out that he’s the main harasser when defending and most forward thinking passer of our deep lying players so they will target him. If they disposes him, then there’s nobody there to chase the ball down and they are through our midfield because Matic (whilst much improved) is not capable of those actions. We saw it today with Watford and we’ll see it until the end of the season so now Fred needs to up his game again and pop passes off quicker or always have his head on the swivel.
Wouldn't that be less of a problem with McTominay fit?

Mike Smalling

He reverted to the original version of Fred today, but given his form this season, I think he can be forgiven for one sloppy display. Also has to be said that we were generally extremely careless with the ball as a team - especially in the first half. Lindelof, Maguire and Matic also gave it away cheaply.

Adamsk7

Wouldn't that be less of a problem with McTominay fit?
Yes definitely. Very happy to have him back as I think they form a good partnership. It’ll actually allow Fred to take a few more gambles in his play.

USREDEVIL

Yep, me.

I used to think he was one of the worst footballers I've ever seen, now I just think he's incredibly average and off the standard required.

Well done him I guess.
That’s where I’m at. He’s a decent footballer but nothing really special. Most of his passes are sideways from my view.

dalriada

i think he owes us an apology for getting married in consecutive years. I’d say we are about even. Fair play to him
I thought he had the ability, but not the mentality and maybe the pressure got to him and why he could not settle. But, he has done great to improve and adjust to the PL. Maybe that shows that a little patience is needed with all players. The advantage for him is that he is not a sick note like some players, at least that gives you a chance to learn and improve on the training field.
I didn't think he was rubbish, just couldn't understand why Mourinho signed him and then hardly played him. Then when Ole arrived and still didn't play him, I started to wonder if they were seeing something they didn't like.
Ole made the comment that some players take longer to settle in than others, so maybe this is just an individual thing or a language problem. When he started to play him regularly because of the injuries, he looked like a stranger in the team - misplacing passes, always looked surprised that someone had passed to him and giving the ball away in bad places.
He now looks very much part of the team, seems to have a good relationship with the players around him and is a bundle of energy and likes to keep the ball more than others. He still gives the ball away too often and needs to sort out his finishing.
So, yes, with some players it needs a bit more patience, which some fans aren't prepared to give players.
I like him and would definitely keep him, but wonder if he's been a bit lucky with the injuries - not sure he would have had the same run of games.

John Blund

I didn't think he even was a footballer after his first 6 months. I hadn't seen him play for Shaktar, and after his first 15 games for us, I could hardly say I'd seen him play for us.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
That’s where I’m at. He’s a decent footballer but nothing really special. Most of his passes are sideways from my view.
Fred's main priorities are to break up play, win the ball back, and provide a consistent link between defense and midfield - all of which he does to great effect - creation and attacking in general is a distant second. That's what

I'm not saying he doesn't have it in him to be creative, rather he isn't expected to do so in Ole's system.

Aarron Swift

Not saying Fred has completely turned it around he still has work ahead in coming seasons to be considered a success but he has been one of our best players this season and full credit for that.

Modern Football has this habit of
Instantly judging and writing players off, it used to be widely accepted that players new to the league may take a season to settle before getting the best out of them. Same with youth academy players. It seems unless a player makes an instant impact they’re called a flop.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
I've always liked him.

Alabaster Codify7

I've always said there was something there, but wasn't sure what. He's very solid at what he does, which is basically to be a nuisance workhorse and that's a role we'll always need filling in the squad. But personally, I think a team gunning for top honours would have him on the bench but coming on regularly to see out games, starting Cup games etc. That's where I see his actual future here IF we have big ambitions. I do love his attitude and personality though, seems a very good guy and a good pro.

westmeath

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I had completely written him off, now he’s probably our player of the season. I’m reluctant to admit it but Ole probably gets some credit for the improvement also. (I’m quick to blame Ole for all the bad stuff ....)

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
He's improved greatly but I think there's more to come. I like his pressing. His short passing forward is usually incisive and he his harrying is good. Can be sloppy still but I don't think I slated him so I don't own him anything :)