Hands up if you owe Fred an apology

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
After his first few appearances, I said he often looked like our best and worst player, all in the same game. Did some good things, and then something stupid. So he gets half an apology I guess.

mattsville

He has improved a lot no doubt and consistently so, he is all action and has an eye for a pass and you can see he has an eye to go for goal, recently against wolves in the cup at OT he had a mixed bag though, I felt for the most part he just was not physically able to compete with their midfield, was always "nearly" at the pitch of the ball and got himself on a yellow early on, but he did produce a brilliant pass with his right foot in the game, still progress is progress and if he was not playing to the standard he is now we would be fecked.

Yakuza_devils

To be fair I always see something in him. But when he started here he was inconsistent. He played well one game and the next game he kept losing ball in dangerous area.

The rest is history and he is in contention for player of the year. His fitness and consistency this season is excellent.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
To be fair I always see something in him. But when he started here he was inconsistent. He played well one game and the next game he kept losing ball in dangerous area.

The rest is history and he is in contention for player of the year. His fitness and consistency this season is excellent.
Ok this is going way too far now

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I still question his ability competing in the air and plus his shooting is,frankly,horrible but fair fecks to the guys he's now resembling a decent player for us.
Now its Lindelof's turn.

Jericho

Fred owes me an apology for the abuse I received for backing him
How were you abused?

I don't think anyone owes him an apology. He did play poorly for a long time. It was fair to say he wasn't living up to the price tag. He's getting better though, hopefully it continues.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
I don't think we owe him an apology. He played like a pub footballer for 1.5 years and is on decent wages and bought for 50 mil pounds. We critized him when he was atrocius and praise him when he plays well. That's how it should be.

Has he scored a goal yet though?

Withnail

I don't think we owe him an apology. He played like a pub footballer for 1.5 years and is on decent wages and bought for 50 mil pounds. We critized him when he was atrocius and praise him when he plays well. That's how it should be.

Has he scored a goal yet though?
He got one last season against Wolves.

Lovely cushioned assist from Pogba.

I reckon he'll get another soon. He's been taking a few shots lately.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I thought he was shit, not lazy. Thing is, his performances were shit. So there's that. He's improved enormously. Now he's a decent player. No apology needed.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Another example of why patience being a virtue.

Amazing how the "special one" couldn't get anything out of the guy, but novice Ole has got him playing so well.
It's amazing how gutting a squad and having virtually no depth can ensure consistent playing time for the few who remain.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Was always going to be great just needed the time to settle. Should have been in the team consistently at the start and we would have seen this a lot sooner.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
I never thought Fred was crap, because I had seen him play for Shakhtar in Champions League, including a great goal he scored against City. I did develop doubts if he was going to ever make it at United, due to very poor start. Was afraid he was going to be another Mkhitarian-esque story.

Delighted to see he bounced back.

o/

Jaonz

I'm sorry Fred. But that doesn't mean you can have another wedding this year.

Andrew Richmond

Fred has been outstanding in recent months and from what he has shown I have no doubt he would look even better if playing for the likes of City or Liverpool given the quality they have which we don’t currently. Get some quality signings in the next couple of transfer windows and he is going to be some player for us.

elánius

Not really. He is better than he used to be but he still no way near to level he should be for 50 mil. pounds. What position he actually plays in this "system"? He is not box to box, he is not holding midfielder. He is just there trying to have some contribution and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesnt. He is still very slow with the ball, his positioning is not good and he is often dirbbled past, means our opponents have time of their lifes in our midfield and he is also very weak in duels. He is better in passing, but nothing more than average.

He is better with Matič, deifinitely, because Matic is experienced enough to close gaps he leaves behind himself, but he is not top4 level in Premier League, I am sorry.

But I also said that he souhld play at the start of the season, because with our injury record it was obvious that we would need him on the pitch. Olé ignored him first month this season for some reason.

Member 113277

Fred has been outstanding in recent months and from what he has shown I have no doubt he would look even better if playing for the likes of City or Liverpool given the quality they have which we don’t currently. Get some quality signings in the next couple of transfer windows and he is going to be some player for us.
My feelings exactly - I couldn't understand what was going wrong - he really did play awfully until this season and given his pedigree, I was confused.

I guess it must have been a confidence thing, new league, faster, tougher, took a while to adjust and get his mojo back.

stygg

He's sloppy at times but apart from that I would say he's brilliant and easily one of the best signings during the post-Ferguson era.

Dr Fink

Yep, I apologise.....not. I rated him 3/10 for most games now he's at a heady 6/10, our best performing player recently............but still not of the quality or consistency required by this club to start moving on the road to get back to where it was 10 years ago. What a fickle place this forum is. He's now featuring as one of the players we shouldn't get rid of. FFS. Short memories and considerably lowered standards by a lot, massively. We HAD standards a hell of a lot higher. Shows how utterly crap most of the rest of the are, bar McTominay. Get real. FFS.

KekiZeki

Apology for what? He was terrible people said he's terrible, now he is proving his worth, as he should have before.

If anyone owes him an apology it's Mourinho for not knowing how to use him properly.

Dorris

Yep, I apologise.....not. I rated him 3/10 for most games now he's at a heady 6/10, our best performing player recently............but still not of the quality or consistency required by this club to start moving on the road to get back to where it was 10 years ago. What a fickle place this forum is. He's now featuring as one of the players we shouldn't get rid of. FFS. Short memories and considerably lowered standards by a lot, massively. We HAD standards a hell of a lot higher. Shows how utterly crap most of the rest of the are, bar McTominay. Get real. FFS.
There's either a serious lack of knowledge/ understanding of the game behind this post, or you're too proud to go against your previously formed opinion. How you can honestly say he's one we should be looking to upgrade upon is laughable.

Oldham

He's been doing really well for the last 3 months or so. Was absolutely terrible before that. Please keep this up for the rest your United career.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
This thread is a guaranteed injury to Fred.

poleglass red

No doubt he has got better, it was hard no to. I seem to be in the minority here in that I just don't rate him. He always seems when he's running with the ball to not have it fully under control and is seemingly always stretching or lunging to get his final touch on it. Maybe I'm being too tough on him, our mid is woeful, so maybe with a few additions he might look better. I'm not sure what he's good at. He has a good engine I guess, but he's not creative enough or a goal threat in the attacking third to be an attacking mid, and he's not strong enough in the tackle or effective enough in tracking runners in the final third to be a defensive mid. Also his touch isn't good enough for him to be a deep lying playmaker, my heart stops at times when De Gea gives him the ball at the edge of the box. I think long term we need to acquire a proper DM as in this current format, even with Pogba and McT fit, we offer little to no protection to our backline. Fred will play for now, I think long term if we have any aspirations to be even close to challenging he isn't good enough, although looking at our team right now that may be a few yrs still.

Dr Fink

There's either a serious lack of knowledge/ understanding of the game behind this post, or you're too proud to go against your previously formed opinion. How you can honestly say he's one we should be looking to upgrade upon is laughable.
Well I am. Your standards must be lower than mine. He's the best of a bad bunch currently playing. Some good performances but only recently. He does Ok with McTominay when the latter is fit. He complements other players like McT. We as a club need better players than him if we want to improve. Surely those with longer term vision will understand where I'm coming from. A good performer currently but that's it. He's no world beater, that's for sure.

Luke1995

What ? The fact he's playing well now doesn't change how bad he was playing before. Are we supposed to just forget the useless performances he put up in the past ?

Bestietom

I will put up 2 hands if he keeps improving. But I really thought that he could have been sold in the summer especially after not going on tour, ( got married). A bad time to arrange his wedding, but because of injuries he got his chance and took it. Well done to him.

GBBQ

What ? The fact he's playing well now doesn't change how bad he was playing before. Are we supposed to just forget the useless performances he put up in the past ?
Tough crowd! He was brought into a team where the manager didn't seem to want him and underperformed massively. He became a byword for Glazer / Woodward interference in transfers and was generally hated by the majority of fans.

To come good in what can at best be described as a transitional season is impressive. He's knuckled down, took his chances and is getting better and better as the season has progressed.

Luke1995

Tough crowd! He was brought into a team where the manager didn't seem to want him and underperformed massively. He became a byword for Glazer / Woodward interference in transfers and was generally hated by the majority of fans.

To come good in what can at best be described as a transitional season is impressive. He's knuckled down, took his chances and is getting better and better as the season has progressed.
How do we know that he is going to maintain consistency ? I have been amazed by Rashford and Martial plenty of times just to see them go missing again...but hey, let's see

AR87

How do we know that he is going to maintain consistency ? I have been amazed by Rashford and Martial plenty of times just to see them go missing again...but hey, let's see
We don't know, but he's been consistent this season when he's now had a run in the side, so think it's okay to give him the benefit of the doubt on that. Rashford been plenty consistent this season too....