Handshake

BootsyCollins

This may be in the wrong forum, or just overall a very stupid thread, but its something that has puzzeled me for a long time.

When did they change the whole handshake thing? Watching the Malmö game now and every handshake is a "cool version" of the normal handshake. Like with the thumbs up, sort of like a hip hop hand shake.
And then its the same even when the shake hans with the refs.
Has everyone in football just agreed that this is the way we shake hands now?
what happened to the old "normal business" hand shake?

Ive been wondering about this for some time now. I wonder about a lot of things.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Footballers are usually pretty young people, and given their professional they're hardly expected to be business like.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
This may be in the wrong forum, or just overall a very stupid thread, but its something that has puzzeled me for a long time.

When did they change the whole handshake thing? Watching the Malmö game now and every handshake is a "cool version" of the normal handshake. Like with the thumbs up, sort of like a hip hop hand shake.
And then its the same even when the shake hans with the refs.
Has everyone in football just agreed that this is the way we shake hands now?
what happened to the old "normal business" hand shake?

Ive been wondering about this for some time now. I wonder about a lot of things.
Your username is rad.

BootsyCollins

Footballers are usually pretty young people, and given their professional they're hardly expected to be business like.
I did not mean they should be business like, only that was the best way to describe what to me is the normal handshake.
They used to shake hands like that before.
Anyway,,,, i dont know,,

Your username is rad.
Thanks, another funkateer?

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Footballers are young men that represent a new generation. The thought behind a handshake is still there, the form of expression is different. It doesn't matter, they're both the same in terms of respect.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
It does seem weird. What's next, a chest bump? A bum bump?

Eric'sCollar

Asked for his wife's permission before signing up
Pretty cringe worthy stuff when the referees try to do it.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Pretty cringe worthy stuff when the referees try to do it.
This, I get it when the players do it with each other, but it's really weird to see it between players and referees and sometimes even between managers and referees.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Why they're all not doing DJ Jazzy Jeff and The Fresh Prince style greetings is beyond me.

red_devil83

I greet my friends with the 'modern' handshake. I don't see anything wrong with that being done by footballers.

It's more weird this whole "shaking hands before the match" crap. Why not just do it afterwards if you want to?

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
It doesn't look cool (the baseball gif) at all.

It looks like the clapping game that young girls do (or did do back in the 70s and 80s).

You know, where they sing a rhyme sitting opposite one another clapping alternately their own hands or each others.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I greet my friends with the 'modern' handshake. I don't see anything wrong with that being done by footballers.

It's more weird this whole "shaking hands before the match" crap. Why not just do it afterwards if you want to?
What about people you meet while you're doing your job?

Not that I'm particularly bothered about the whole phenomenon (and I also use the 'modern' handshake with my friends) but I'd feel like a colossal berk if I ever tried it at work.

Needham

We're devolving into muts. Pretty soon the away team will stand one by one in front of the home team and twerk them in the groin as a standard greeting.

red_devil83

Not that I'm particularly bothered about the whole phenomenon (and I also use the 'modern' handshake with my friends) but I'd feel like a colossal berk if I ever tried it at work.
Absolutely use the 'professional' handshake. However, their line of work is a bit different to mine. It's not exactly a formal environment.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Yeah, wouldn't expect anything different between the players. Does seem a little informal as a way to greet the referee but meh, the times they are a changing.
Still seems weird with the ref in particular.

The Purley King

They should all be forced to do a Giggs/Ince goal celebration........now that was cringeworthy.......

Rykker_4united

Supports
Keep Rodgers at Pool.
Its not really that informal or 'gangster' or anything. Its not a fad or a trend. People do both. I don't see whats wrong with it.

Charlie Foley

At an environmental conference in DC a few years ago when I was just a youngling I was introduced to the guy who had organised the whole thing. We did the business shake and then when he found out I was Irish asked which football team I supported (he’d lived in England for a while so was big into football). When I told him United we did the “modern” handshake + backslap. Looking back it was kind of weird, but getting to know that guy has been the best thing for my legal career so it was worth it.