5.2 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

AshRK

I would rather he goes and play in the AFCON than just plays for under 23 and with us drawing VILLA in the cup, chances of him playing was bleak anyways. Play for Tunisia and get some more first team football experience.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Seems to have been unfortunate so far with the timing of his injuries and international appearances....which will continue in January. The way Ragnick comments it seems he obviously likes him and also unlikely he will bed him in until after the next international tournament in January bar a depleted squad from Covid.

Seems a shame, I personally have only seen highlight videos of him bar his few minutes for us so cant confess to giving any opinion of merit. All i can say, we do have some talented youngsters coming through but the likes of Shoetire, Elanga and even Amad for me, dont look quite ready to make the step up in terms of development to the first team regularly such as players like Elliot and Curtis JOnes at Liverpool (that is not comparing ability, just development).....but I would like to see Mjebri getting opportunites as just watchign his speed of thought, vision, technique and awareness within the clips and his cameo and the fact he can play in positions we are short of quality or depth as back up, I have a feeling he could be the one player that could be.....though of course we will never know until/unless he plays as there were similar feelings with Angel Gomes of course for many
Mejbri will take no harm from playing a good run of men's football with his country. Plenty of time for him to get his chance at United in the coming seasons.

Bertie Wooster

I would rather he goes and play in the AFCON than just plays for under 23 and with us drawing VILLA in the cup, chances of him playing was bleak anyways. Play for Tunisia and get some more first team football experience.
Yeah, that's definitely a big, benefit of the call ups. Just like if he was out on loan getting regular men's football.

The 'downside' of him getting game time abroad, rather than on loan in the EFL, is that he's not acclimatising to the English game and seasonal weather.

But the big positives are that he's getting regular senior football (no guarantee a loan in, say, the championship, would be a success and that they'd trust an 18 year old as a starter like Tunisia are). And that he's getting more experience of pressurised, high profile games - senior international tournaments for his country - than he would at a mid-season EFL loan.

Bertie Wooster

The seasonal weather? He’s from Paris, currently the exact same weather as London. He doesn’t need to acclimate to the weather.
Most countries, including France, have a winter break so the packed Christmas / New Year schedule in winter conditions is something to acclimatise to.

But the main meaning of the paragraph you quoted was part of the comparison of the differing experiences playing in the Arab Cup in Qatar, and the African Nations in Cameroon, instead of the conditions he'd experience playing EFL games on loan in England during December and January.

Marcus

Such a pity he is going to AN. He would definitely have a shot at the CM role with his passing ability.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
As promising as I think he is I don’t see Ralph throwing him into a struggling team either way. I also feel like recently we’ve given our youth too much too soon without proving anything. We put them on a pedestal while the first team is in turmoil. The smartest thing for us to do with Hannibal is send him out on loan for a season or two. Keep him working hard, his wages on the lowish side, keep the hype down and see how he actually develops in the man’s game. Play it safe. We don’t want another player coming in playing a few really good games and getting a huge deal and then being stuck with him if his development stalls.

Look at Chelsea with Gallagher and Gilmore. Shop window. Gaining priceless experience. Chelsea will get a PL hardened baller back and a load of cash for the one they don’t need. Similar level prospects. I think we need to do that more often before we go putting players on career changing money and then only using them as bit part players.

Marcus

As promising as I think he is I don’t see Ralph throwing him into a struggling team either way. I also feel like recently we’ve given our youth too much too soon without proving anything. We put them on a pedestal while the first team is in turmoil. The smartest thing for us to do with Hannibal is send him out on loan for a season or two. Keep him working hard, his wages on the lowish side, keep the hype down and see how he actually develops in the man’s game. Play it safe. We don’t want another player coming in playing a few really good games and getting a huge deal and then being stuck with him if his development stalls.

Look at Chelsea with Gallagher and Gilmore. Shop window. Gaining priceless experience. Chelsea will get a PL hardened baller back and a load of cash for the one they don’t need. Similar level prospects. I think we need to do that more often before we go putting players on career changing money and then only using them as bit part players.
I don't disagree. You make good points. But I just like seeing players coming in from the youth team hungry and fearless and hopefully making an impact. To me, he seems to have enough quality to make a difference from the first team opportunities he has been given. He looks like he belongs with his movement and passing. Unlike Shoretire, Williams, Mengi, Gardner who I think are not really suited for senior football at United yet.

United in sin

I was hoping he wouldn't play at the Africa cup since he just made his debut at the Arab cup.

jesperjaap

Im kind of inbetween what you say and also the opposite. Part of the traditional attraction of supporting the club has been bringing thorugh our own youth and also the developing of top young talent bought in from outside the club.

But lets face it, despite ud trying to do many big signings, there has also been a lot of youth and it hasnt actually been that successful the last few years. In terms of purchases you can go right back to Zaha, Powell, Shaw, Martial, Depay, Dalot, Fosuh Mensah, Bissaka, James, Diallo, Pellestri, Sancho...obviously early days for some of the latter ones but the fact Shaw is easily the most successful of those based on one really good season says it all. And I agree on us not wanting too much too soon, have been so many youngsters through our youth ranks the last few years tipped for the top and most no teven broke thorugh at all, Rashford is really the only big success (and hugely over hyped) until Greenwood recently who actually DOES look the real deal.

But I dont agree with the Chelsea comparisons. As talented as both are, they simply HAD to go out on loan, how will they get games otherwise with a world cup winner, Madrid player and a couple of England internationals ahead of them. I like both players but CHelsea are stacked with midfielders, simpl yno opportunities for them to get games abd bit sure they do still going back in the summer. Think Gallagher more likely to be another Lamptey, talented player they sell as simply no room for them in the squad.

But Hannibal is possibly THE prospect in our youth set up and one that can play in various positions we are really weak in. I don tthink a loan is a bad move by any means and I agree he shouldnt be thrown in at the deep end. But I DO think he should get opportunties with the squad. We have in Fernandes a player who has been out of form for some time and needs more of a rest than he gets, we have Rashford who has had injury problems and lack of form for some time, siliar with martial who wants to go, we have nobody really can play in McFreds position regularly as Matic elgs have gone, Pogba is too sloppy there in wrong areas and VDB has looke dpoor there.

Unlikely to happen with his injuries and international tournaments at the wrong time and he is still only 18, but personally I would like to see Hannibal getting oportunites on the bench over certain players that both want to leave an dhavent been good enough anyway, at least then we can get a glimpse on whether a loan is the right move for him or he is already ready to be gettign integrated more

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Taken off at half time. Didn't really see the ball in the first half. Played on the right wing, Tunisia just wasn't that good in progressing the ball up the field.
Shame , but apparently the whole game was a farce so I chalk it up to that.

MrBest

Having only ever watched one Tunisia game, today, i feel they are a team of individuals looking to grab that moment of brilliance. Hannibal played on right wing, offered a few decent touches, but was not greedy enough compared to his teammates standards to make an impact on the game. To be fair, the whole team was awful. The benefit is that he is getting competitive experience, now has 9 caps for his country, i hope he continues to have more game time during AFCON, we could really use him after Feb in the United squad especially if we do not sign anyone. This is feels like we have loaned him out for a few month, gaining some vital minutes in professional football, and should come back more experienced. Good luck Hannibal!

Bondi77

I noticed Tunisia won their game and Mejbri did not get off the bench.....I hope this doesn't mean the end of decent game time for him at AFCON.

sp_107

Having only ever watched one Tunisia game, today, i feel they are a team of individuals looking to grab that moment of brilliance. Hannibal played on right wing, offered a few decent touches, but was not greedy enough compared to his teammates standards to make an impact on the game. To be fair, the whole team was awful. The benefit is that he is getting competitive experience, now has 9 caps for his country, i hope he continues to have more game time during AFCON, we could really use him after Feb in the United squad especially if we do not sign anyone. This is feels like we have loaned him out for a few month, gaining some vital minutes in professional football, and should come back more experienced. Good luck Hannibal!
Then he fits right into our UTD team, isnt it ?

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Hopefully when he comes back Ralf gives him a good run of games, which may be improbable seeing that we're in a qualification scrap right now.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I noticed Tunisia won their game and Mejbri did not get off the bench.....I hope this doesn't mean the end of decent game time for him at AFCON.
He was subbed off at HT in the first match, so maybe that's that for now. I do expect Rangnick to give him chances. It's just whether he tries to play him as a deeper midfielder (which I hope for) or if he's competing with all the others for the positions behind the striker.

flameinthesun

So hard to tell with these youngsters, I do hope Ralf gives him a chance. So far he seems to be at a similar level to what pereira was for us at his age. Think Andreas at his age looked a tad bit more talented though from memory. Just need to see how he adapts to senior football.

SAF is the GOAT

A number of Championship clubs, including Reading, enquired about taking Hannibal Mejbri on loan for the duration of the 2021-22 season because of his impressive displays for Manchester United's Under-23 side. [CharDuncker]
Sources say that those who have been in touch with Hannibal Mejbri over the past few weeks have been impressed with how he has grown, on and off the field. [CharDuncker]
Manchester United are unlikely to let Hannibal Mejbri leave before the close of the January transfer window. [CharDuncker]

Adnan

Talent Spotter
The article also mentions that he had the option of taking a holiday after the Arab Cup, but decided to join the first team training instead. He was also racially abused by a Lincoln fan in the EFL trophy, but asked the Lincoln CEO not to punish the perpetrator due to such a charge ruining the persons future.

The kid definitely has the correct mentality it seems.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
The article also mentions that he had the option of taking a holiday after the Arab Cup, but decided to join the first team training instead. He was also racially abused by a Lincoln fan in the EFL trophy, but asked the Lincoln CEO not to punish the perpetrator due to such a charge ruining the persons future.

That's incredible maturity.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin

Id say he sees Elanga taking his chance and he knows he can do it too. Fair play to him. He’ll probably have to show something off the bench and I think a loan would be more suitable for him but I believe in him and admire his confidence.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
I really do like him as he has a certain maturity to the way he plays, hopefully we give him a good run of games before the seasons end so we'll get a rough outline of what's best for his future and development(whether we loan him out in the summer or him carving out a first team spot).

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.

The France-born player was desperate to represent his parents' homeland at both the Arab Cup and the Afcon and United directors John Murtough and Darren Fletcher both agreed that Mejbri would benefit from playing tournament football with Tunisia.

They are being proven correct. Sources say that those who have been in touch with Mejbri over the past few weeks have been impressed with how he has grown, on and off the field.

Mejbri had the opportunity to take a holiday between the Arab Cup and the Afcon, but he opted instead to return to Manchester to partake in training sessions with the senior squad.

Mejbri still plays with passion but he now deals with the fouls and vitriol he is subjected to in a very impressive manner. Indeed, in August, when United faced Lincoln in the EFL Trophy, Mejbri was racially abused by a home supporter and it is understood after the game he met with Lincoln’s CEO to request that the guilty party not be banned for as he didn’t want to ruin his future as there were mitigating circumstances.

RedCurry

As soon as he’s back, goes straight into serious contention for a midfield position as far as I am concerned. He is young so he’ll be fine playing either the #8 or #10 position. It doesn’t even matter if he’s ready to be a first-team player. We can use some injection of youthful positivity and hard work. Much like what we saw with Elanga against Aston Villa. Who knows, he may surprise us and actually put a good performance. I have a feeling he will become a regular part of the team for this season, if given a chance.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Just on for a 10 man Tunisia for the final 20 minutes (0-0 as it stands).

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Whoscored has them as having a great front 4 but really putrid stuff at their 2 DM spots in Drinkwater and Laurent, so maybe this would be a nice few month move for him.
I can't see us letting him go without at least seeing what he's about in the first team, I think he's about ready to start competing for a spot.

NoPace

I can't see us letting him go without at least seeing what he's about in the first team, I think he's about ready to start competing for a spot.
It sounds like Ralf wants to get 3 months of good Pogba play to try to secure his job/status and the 4-3-3 might be partly about that. Fred was really going forward off the ball a lot against Brentford, which seems like a very good role for Pogba. And now that we're not playing 2 deep mids I don't see him as a #6, but maybe this next year:

Fred(VDB)---Bruno(Hannibal)
--------------DM(McTominay)

with I guess Haidara the favorite based on paper rumours and Fred getting another year because Ralf likes him and we need signings at RB, CB and DM first anyways and 3 first-teamers might be all we have in us, though it would probably make sense for VDB to move and then we buy a big fancy first choice #8 to take his spot (Tielemans, Bellingham, Kessie or Renato)) and let Fred be the 3rd choice for the 2 CM spots, or Haidara is that guy and then VDB leaves and we buy a #6 too, like Rice, Phillips, Zakaria or Palhina.

Mr PG

As soon as he’s back, goes straight into serious contention for a midfield position as far as I am concerned. He is young so he’ll be fine playing either the #8 or #10 position. It doesn’t even matter if he’s ready to be a first-team player. We can use some injection of youthful positivity and hard work. Much like what we saw with Elanga against Aston Villa. Who knows, he may surprise us and actually put a good performance. I have a feeling he will become a regular part of the team for this season, if given a chance.
Zidane Iqbal is slightly ahead of him IMO. just because he's quicker and Hannibal's body looks it's still getting used to the growth spurt he experienced.

Glorio

Zidane Iqbal is slightly ahead of him IMO. just because he's quicker and Hannibal's body looks it's still getting used to the growth spurt he experienced.
How did you come to that conclusion? Hannibal trains with the first team, has played for the first team, is the U-23 player of the year, has played in 2 full international tournaments for men (with MOTM awards to boot, and started in a final). He's played as a left forward, a 10, and an 8 and shines in all such positions - definitely way ahead of Iqbal at this stage of his career.

I do like the look of Iqbal though, excited to see him develop

In Rainbows

No way is Iqbal ahead. He wasn't even a guaranteed starter in the youth team. And he's slower than Hannibal.

dutchred

Next season Hannibal and James Garner will play a lot for our first team. Garner has really pushed on this season at NF

Status
Not open for further replies.