Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
It's not enough, but it's more than 90% of the players on the pitch actually managed. In a derby against your biggest rivals you expect a bit of fight, not another 4-0 thrashing and to clap them off the pitch.

Mejbri did what all our players should have been doing from minute 1 - make it competitive. If you can't beat them with the ball you sure well beat them off it.

There's a reason why many people are happy with what he did, it shows he's got the bottle to step up and fight for his team. Now that is the passion we need.
Could you not infer that he has also showed he doesn’t have the self control to succeed here. He gave away fouls, could have been sent off, and didn’t clear the admittedly awful pass from Maguire that led to a goal.
There’s at least as much bad as good in that cameo

Ibi Dreams

Could you not infer that he has also showed he doesn’t have the self control to succeed here. He gave away fouls, could have been sent off, and didn’t clear the admittedly awful pass from Maguire that led to a goal.
Not really. Cantona kicked a fan and succeeded. Rooney and Beckham both got sent off for England, one for kicking Simeone and the other for stamping Ronaldo. Scholes always had a horrible challenge in him. Hannibal's a kid, he's young enough to learn when to rein it in and when to let it out.

Bestietom

Mejbri is much more than what we seen when he came on against Liverpool. He is calm and controlled on the ball and can split a defence with his passing.
This was not him really, unless he has changed whilst playing for Tunisia. This young man has great skill and can play football and is not one to act in this way. Maybe from what he seen from the bench riled him up.
Have to say, I did like the fire but maybe the flames were too high.

Last edited:

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
Not really. Cantona kicked a fan and succeeded. Rooney and Beckham both got sent off for England, one for kicking Simeone and the other for stamping Ronaldo. Scholes always had a horrible challenge in him. Hannibal's a kid, he's young enough to learn when to rein it in and when to let it out.
Yes but you’ve cherry picked players who had bad temperaments who went on to succeed. No one is saying every player with a poor temperament will fail, but it’s a negative component. I’m not arguing that he will, or he won’t make it at Utd- clearly none of us know. I’m just making the point that in his 6 minute debut there are as many possible negatives as there are positives.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Well he didnt get sent off. He made 1 tackle worthy of a yellow, and 1 foul. That's it.

The only way to tell is with time but i'm quite certain he'd be fine in most matches. He just came into a hostile atmosphere with his team 3-0 down and getting the piss taken out of them.

Rooney and Scholes showed way worse tempers and they managed ok I think.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
Well he didnt get sent off. He made 1 tackle worthy of a yellow, and 1 foul. That's it.

The only way to tell is with time but i'm quite certain he'd be fine in most matches. He just came into a hostile atmosphere with his team 3-0 down and getting the piss taken out of them.

Yep, and as I say it’s impossible to predict. I’m surprised that what you saw in those six minutes gives you a certainty that he’ll be fine in terms of temperament. I’d say there is at the very least some wishful thinking that led you to that conclusion. But as you say, time will tell. Rooney and Scholes probably did have worse tempers, but that was masked, and perhaps accepted because they were both absolutely exceptional players. Same of Cantona. If he’s that good it will be worth the downside, but if he’s not at that level than you might as well sign Lee Cattermole.

Trex

A bit of fire is a good thing, imagine the player Martial would be if he had a bit of that.

Adam-Utd

Yep, and as I say it’s impossible to predict. I’m surprised that what you saw in those six minutes gives you a certainty that he’ll be fine in terms of temperament. I’d say there is at the very least some wishful thinking that led you to that conclusion. But as you say, time will tell. Rooney and Scholes probably did have worse tempers, but that was masked, and perhaps accepted because they were both absolutely exceptional players. Same of Cantona. If he’s that good it will be worth the downside, but if he’s not at that level than you might as well sign Lee Cattermole.
It's not 6 minutes i'm making the judgement on, that's the point. Maybe you are, if that's all you've seen of him.

I've watched countless matches of him at reserve level, I've watched his debut against Wolves and some of the recent arab cup/afcon matches. His temper is fine.

Is he a bit fiery? yes. Will he get sent off in the future? probably. Will it stop him having a good career here? no.
A bit of fire is a good thing, imagine the player Martial would be if he had a bit of that.
Agreed. I'd much rather have a player with some fire in them, than the guys we have now that look bored to death and don't want to be here.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
It's not 6 minutes i'm making the judgement on, that's the point. Maybe you are, if that's all you've seen of him.

I've watched countless matches of him at reserve level, I've watched his debut against Wolves and some of the recent arab cup/afcon matches. His temper is fine.

Is he a bit fiery? yes. Will he get sent off in the future? probably. Will it stop him having a good career here? no.

Agreed. I'd much rather have a player with some fire in them, than the guys we have now that look bored to death and don't want to be here.
Ok well we’ll see. I think he’ll be targeted if he becomes a regular first team player. Whether he reacts badly to that or not remains to be seen. Getting an early yellow for example, even if it doesn’t result in a sending off, changes the metric. He’s got to be careful.

Adam-Utd

Ok well we’ll see. I think he’ll be targeted if he becomes a regular first team player. Whether he reacts badly to that or not remains to be seen. Getting an early yellow for example, even if it doesn’t result in a sending off, changes the metric. He’s got to be careful.
He got kicked 100x worse in the reserves than he ever will in the premier league, I promise you that. His record wasn't that bad considering the treatment he used to get.

The_Midfielder

Each of our player should have started the game exactly like how Hannibal did..
Do you remember Carrager kicking Nani..
You need to make sure that the other team knows they are for. a fight ..
We shouldn't. have let Tiago choose his passes.. we need to keep pressing and play aggressively
I applaud the boy..

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
:lol: An absolutely clueless post.

Conor

Kicking any Liverpool player in sight should be the absolute minimum for any Utd player. A+

Glorio

Was going to say, not comparing him to Rooney in terms of ability at all, but if you brought teenage Wayne into that game at a similar time and similar circumstances, chances are you'd see a very similar attitude/risk of being sent off. The only difference is he would probably have given Maguire a right talking to for that hospital pass. That fire in their belly is part of what makes the player.

Refreshing and nerve wracking in equal measure :lol:

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
We shouldn't. have let Tiago choose his passes.. we need to keep pressing and play aggressively
I applaud the boy..
Utd need to be more aggressive, I agree. I just don’t see how it would have benefited you having multiple players on yellow cards early on in the game, which is what would have happened if all of your players started like Mejbri.
He could be a world beater, who knows, but he won’t become that by pointlessly fouling where there’s no obvious benefit.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
I hope the new manager makes him cut his hair. Utd are ridiculous enough at the moment without Side Show Bob in the team.
Why don't you mind your own business and let players and people in general enjoy what they like outside football. Obviously Pogba's new haircut every second month was always gonna be used against him when he was permanently injured or having a stinker of a game.

For Hannibal it's just his hair and let him be who he wants unless it's getting in the way of his performances.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Have to say, I did like the fire but maybe the flames were too high.
That's a great way to put it.

The aggression and drive was great to see, but he did go a bit overboard. I hope to see him get quite a lot of game-time for the rest of the season and he won't be able to play like that again else he'll get himself sent off. Although I will say that he did actually tone it down a little against Liverpool after the ref gave him his final warning, so that does tell me that he hadn't completely lost his head.

DON’T PANIC ™

Why don't you mind your own business and let players and people in general enjoy what they like outside football. Obviously Pogba's new haircut every second month was always gonna be used against him when he was permanently injured or having a stinker of a game.

For Hannibal it's just his hair and let him be who he wants unless it's getting in the way of his performances.
It was a light hearted comment, not meant to be taken that seriously, although I do think he’d benefit from a haircut all the same.

Im not surprised you’ve taken it personally given your Username. Even Karel cut his hair eventually.:)

Bobade

Personally, I think his hair looks class. Therefore, great performance.

Bestietom

That's a great way to put it.

The aggression and drive was great to see, but he did go a bit overboard. I hope to see him get quite a lot of game-time for the rest of the season and he won't be able to play like that again else he'll get himself sent off. Although I will say that he did actually tone it down a little against Liverpool after the ref gave him his final warning, so that does tell me that he hadn't completely lost his head.
Think he got fired up whilst watching from the bench. I've seen this young man play for under 23s and he has a great range of passing and is skillful on the ball. I think he could be part of team next season when Ten Hag takes over and sees him.

Bondi77

Well the other option is he can put in a hard but fair challenge and then you win possession as well without the yellow card.
The lad has skill at the u23 level so it will be interesting if he can handle the big step up as it looks like there will be chances to stake a claim in the midfield if he is up to it.

jesperjaap

I think the fact that fans here, pundits, famous explayers are congraultaing him for showing fire and passion is a damning indicement on our side, as some have said, should be the bare minimum.

He came on, showed some godo movement, some decent weight of pass and technique, made a mistake from the goal (though the pass was terrible), was over eager and showed a bit of inexperience and immaturity.

Dont really see much to appauld or slate either way. What is imprtant to me, is he got minutes and got experience. Jusging him from 5mins is madness. This is a 19year old came on for 5mins at the end of a dead game with about 8mins of action before that, no time to judge and in a way its good the bad things happened in terms of the msitke for the goal and the lucky to not get sent off, it was a meaningless period of a game that wouldnt change and he will have learnt so lot from those errors. I hope he gets more opportunities before the season ends, a few others actually after tomorrow if we dont win our season is totally over top foru wise i would say so please please please dont go tdown the Mata/Lingard route from the bench if so

jesperjaap

I applaud the boy..
Agree not to the levels he did as wed have finished as a 5-a-side team, but we needed to make a fight of it, it never happened unti olthe game was effectively over. Ragnik has mentioned this several times over the last month or so himself, the lack of aggresion in our side

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
What was he doing playing tonight? Surely should have been in the squad tomorrow?

In Rainbows

I hope we develop him as an 8, and not an attacker. We need a technical player like him in midfield, but with workrate too.

Mickson

He played for the under 23’s last night.
Haha I see this argument all the time. He played BECAUSE Ralf didn't want him. It's not like the U23 is an elite team where all the best players go and Ralf sits there "damn, I wish I could use this Wellens kid, he is world-class, but yeah, he must play in the U23 so sadly I can't use him".

Red00012

Haha I see this argument all the time. He played BECAUSE Ralf didn't want him. It's not like the U23 is an elite team where all the best players go and Ralf sits there "damn, I wish I could use this Wellens kid, he is world-class, but yeah, he must play in the U23 so sadly I can't use him".
My reply was based on he was selected last night because he was not chosen for squad today

Status
Not open for further replies.