5.2 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

romufc

No, people are calling you out for saying you avidly watch the U23s and not rating him. No one here is saying he's a dead cert to become a Utd first teamer, that's a strawman you have just created in reaction to being called out.
Didn't the same poster also say that Garner doesn't impose himself on games?

Not sure what U23 he is watching, the 2 that are tipped to be promoted are apparently the ones that aren't good enough.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Most of the youth players that are anywhere close to the first team or labeled as such have discussions outside of the youth forum, in which I do post frequently. Besides I only watch the reserves, not the junior ones. Not that it would mean anything if I watched the reserve games and didn't bother to post in the youth forum.

It's quite bizarre the lengths people go to, to attack a poster when they see an opinion conflicting with theirs.
I was called a secret scouser for not rating Maguire all too highly last summer.
Now, I'm saying I don't see a Man United first team player in Hannibal, and you're the second poster accusing me of lying about having watched him.
Because how could anyone in their right mind watch Hannibal (actually seen him for Tunisia as well) and not think he's the next Pogba :rolleyes:

edit: Searching my posts with "Hannibal" and "Mejbri" gives a combined 33 hits....
As I said I’m not saying you were lying just had a very quick look and couldn’t see much popping up, you may very well be a regular watcher. Again I don’t even think Hannibal is a dead cert by any means although I do think you were being too dismissive in the post I quoted. He’s quite clearly a bright talent with good ability, now as we often know that doesn’t mean too much by itself.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time

Not sure what U23 he is watching, the 2 that are tipped to be promoted are apparently the ones that aren't good enough.
I'm not sure how Garner was in our U23 team, but the criticism of him not imposing himself on games definitely seems to be accurate during his loans. I've watched him play five matches myself between Watford and Forest and that's been the big take-away for me, and it seems to be a very regular comment from others who have also watched him. He's been able to do some nice stuff when he actually gets on the ball, but the game just seems to pass him by far too much.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
No, people are calling you out for saying you avidly watch the U23s and not rating him. No one here is saying he's a dead cert to become a Utd first teamer, that's a strawman you have just created in reaction to being called out.
It's more of a question about what people say when they rate a youngster. I'm assuming they don't mean they rate him for league 1, but that he has a shot at making it at high level. To me, "rating" him is synonymous with thinking he should be promoted to the first team, especially in our current state (squad, not dead set XI starter).

If you want to see a misrepresentation (not a straw man), look no further:

Somehow saying "Garner doesn't impose himself enough on games" (which was backed up by stats) turns into "he isn't good enough". I actually quite rate Garner, I just don't think he's better than Fred right now, which was the ongoing debate in that thread.
You were the same poster last summer that defended footage of Maguire hoofing it out of play when he was under no pressure and claimed I had an agenda against him, when I stated I thought he was a solid defender, but lacked ability on the ball.

You keep interpreting a critique of one aspect of a player's game as "he's shit". Learn to differentiate between the two.

As I said I’m not saying you were lying just had a very quick look and couldn’t see much popping up, you may very well be a regular watcher. Again I don’t even think Hannibal is a dead cert by any means although I do think you were being too dismissive in the post I quoted. He’s quite clearly a bright talent with good ability, now as we often know that doesn’t mean too much by itself.
I think he's overrated, especially with regards to his close control and passing. He motor skills reminds me more of a Donny than a Pogba. Combined that with the fact that isn't exceptional at defending or creating goals, I don't see a United first team player (or close to that level). I've always rated Amad and Shoretire more highly in the technical ability department. There's a few that I think have a better shot of getting into squad next season.

Becks00

@VanDeBank
It's quite interesting how you are using your opinion on one player to justify your opinion on another. Just because one turned out to be true doesn't mean the other would.

I also seriously doubt you have watched Hannibal and have doubts about his close control (or general football ability). The one criticism of him has always been his temperament. Even from just YouTube videos for most who may have not seen him play, his close control and dribbling ability is very obviously better than Vdb's.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
It's more of a question about what people say when they rate a youngster. I'm assuming they don't mean they rate him for league 1, but that he has a shot at making it at high level. To me, "rating" him is synonymous with thinking he should be promoted to the first team, especially in our current state (squad, not dead set XI starter).

If you want to see a misrepresentation (not a straw man), look no further:

Somehow saying "Garner doesn't impose himself enough on games" (which was backed up by stats) turns into "he isn't good enough". I actually quite rate Garner, I just don't think he's better than Fred right now, which was the ongoing debate in that thread.
You were the same poster last summer that defended footage of Maguire hoofing it out of play when he was under no pressure and claimed I had an agenda against him, when I stated I thought he was a solid defender, but lacked ability on the ball.

You keep interpreting a critique of one aspect of a player's game as "he's shit". Learn to differentiate between the two.

I think he's overrated, especially with regards to his close control and passing. He motor skills reminds me more of a Donny than a Pogba. Combined that with the fact that isn't exceptional at defending or creating goals, I don't see a United first team player (or close to that level). I've always rated Amad and Shoretire more highly in the technical ability department. There's a few that I think have a better shot of getting into squad next season.
He’s miles better than Shoretire. Let’s come back to this one!

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Do Utd fans really think players like Hannibal Mejbri will take you back to the top. I get the fact that he does put in a shift and looks like he wants to win but I don’t see him as anywhere near ready yet.
When he first started in the u23's, he seemed to struggle a bit, albeit I didn't see a great deal of u23 football, but gradually he got used to the pace, physicallity and understanding of that type of football, I have no worries that he will tread a similar path in the first team.
As to whether Hannibal and 'players like him', I assume you mean academy players, then I'm sure several of the current crop will be good enough to play regular first team football, but it will take a hell of a lot of coaching, team building, good signings and some good fortune to get us competing with the current top two.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
When he first started in the u23's, he seemed to struggle a bit, albeit I didn't see a great deal of u23 football, but gradually he got used to the pace, physicallity and understanding of that type of football, I have no worries that he will tread a similar path in the first team.
As to whether Hannibal and 'players like him', I assume you mean academy players, then I'm sure several of the current crop will be good enough to play regular first team football, but it will take a hell of a lot of coaching, team building, good signings and some good fortune to get us competing with the current top two.
He had less trouble adapting to U23 football than he did U18 football, weirdly enough.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
This was Hannibal's debut at 16 years of age at under 23 level. He came on for the last half an hour of the game, and straight away he imposed himself on the game and started dictating and creating plays.

And the game below against Blackburn was where Amad Diallo was praised for his performance and rightly so. But for me the stand out player was Hannibal. And the reason for that is because he was far more influential in multiple areas of the pitch, (both advanced and deeper) where he was creating and dictating play, which resulted in us controlling the game and the forward players like Amad profited as you can see in the below footage.

Also I've realised over the years that different people evaluate youth from how they understand football. Some look at how many goals/assists a player is putting up, and others look at how physical the player is etc. So I personally don't get involved in stuff like that. But for anyone to say Hannibal isn't creative is quite simply absurd if we're to go off what we've seen at youth level.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
He had less trouble adapting to U23 football than he did U18 football, weirdly enough.
Admittedly I didn't see a great deal of games, but that was the impression I got, some posters who actually saw much more than I may well have a different opinion, but my main point was that even if he did have a slow start in moving up, then the same would happen as he moves into senior football, probably not too different to most youngsters getting into the first team.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
This was Hannibal's debut at 16 years of age at under 23 level. He came on for the last half an hour of the game, and straight away he imposed himself on the game and started dictating and creating plays.

And the game below against Blackburn was where Amad Diallo was praised for his performance and rightly so. But for me the stand out player was Hannibal. And the reason for that is because he was far more influential in multiple areas of the pitch, (both advanced and deeper) where he was creating and dictating play, which resulted in us controlling the game and the forward players like Amad profited as you can see in the below footage.

Also I've realised over the years that different people evaluate youth from how they understand football. Some look at how many goals/assists a player is putting up, and others look at how physical the player is etc. So I personally don't get involved in stuff like that. But for anyone to say Hannibal isn't creative is quite simply absurd if we're to go off what we've seen at youth level.
I'm not sure if that last comment is aimed at me, but my point was that what I saw in his early games was someone who hadn't got to grips with the attributes needed to be an integral part of the team, I admitted that I hadn't seen a lot, nowhere near as much as yourself, and that posters who do watch a good amount of youth matches may well have a different opinion, as you have pointed out.
I personally think that Hannibal is the only player currently coming up from the academy, that I would absolutely be 100% certain would 'make it' at United, I believe that some players that he's on the pitch with, are not on his wavelength at all, and I strongly believe that ETH should, ultimately, build his team around him. Not saying that he will suddenly become a world class player, but I believe that once he has 'gotten up to speed' with senior football he will blossom.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I'm not sure if that last comment is aimed at me, but my point was that what I saw in his early games was someone who hadn't got to grips with the attributes needed to be an integral part of the team, I admitted that I hadn't seen a lot, nowhere near as much as yourself, and that posters who do watch a good amount of youth matches may well have a different opinion, as you have pointed out.
I personally think that Hannibal is the only player currently coming up from the academy, that I would absolutely be 100% certain would 'make it' at United, I believe that some players that he's on the pitch with, are not on his wavelength at all, and I strongly believe that ETH should, ultimately, build his team around him. Not saying that he will suddenly become a world class player, but I believe that once he has 'gotten up to speed' with senior football he will blossom.
It wasn't aimed at you mate or anyone else. It was just a personal observation of mine over the years where I've felt opinions do differ among fans when evaluating players in general. And some fans even play down certain players due to having their own favourite player.

Olecurls99

Agree. The boy has serious tekkers. I'd give him a run every time Bruno decides that the best way to play football is to boot the ball away aimlessly before somebody nicks it off him again

In Rainbows

His technical ability is above Shoretire's though. I don't know how you can watch them and think otherwise.

And I like Shoretire, but there is no way he has shown more than Hannibal at u18-u23 level. I view Shoretire as more of a Muller type of player (in terms of profile) compared to Mejbri, who is a Modric type of player. Again, this is with respect to the u23 level, and is not a projection of their future first team performances as that would be absurd. Mejbri has incredible close control and is calmer than most technical players in those tight moments (one criticism I had of Gomes).

You see these moments more often with Hannibal than Shoretire.

Last edited:

Red4Life_#7

Hannibal needs to be loaned out next season a Championship/Prem team. He is wasting his time in the U23's. Either we play him or loan him, otherwise we stunt his growth.

avgp_1

He is a glorious footballer, very natural on the ball. Anyone who doesnt see it is expecting too much from someone with no senior football.

Its the pressing, pace and intensity of the PL that will be a little bit difficult for him to adjust straightaway, physically he is fine. But if we give him time he will be there in a season's time.

And fans are being too harsh on the aggressive side of his game. Watch them Atleti lads, they are so many times worse and hardly get punished. Its the art of getting away with it he'll learn the more he gets exposed.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
He is a glorious footballer, very natural on the ball. Anyone who doesnt see it is expecting too much from someone with no senior football.

Its the pressing, pace and intensity of the PL that will be a little bit difficult for him to adjust straightaway, physically he is fine. But if we give him time he will be there in a season's time.

And fans are being too harsh on the aggressive side of his game. Watch them Atleti lads, they are so many times worse and hardly get punished. Its the art of getting away with it he'll learn the more he gets exposed.
Tbf when he first came he was getting fouled a lot and he reacted a lot of the time. He doesn't now.

So that's progression -- and in someway has learnt to channel his reactions into different ways now.

Sea-Cow

My thoughts as well. Its great to watch him glide past players and I am confident he will be a great player for a top club. Might not be at United for any number of reasons, but he will be a star for a side in the Champions League .

Red4Life_#7

To start every match?
No, but is recognised and introduced the same way Elanga was this season (Greenwood cleared the path for Elanga). We have a lot of players leaving the team this summer, we need to play our top young talent or loan them out so they develop. He has bags of potential, lets make sure he reaches it.

RuudTom83

Any excuse to post again...reserves is too easy for him, needs to be in the squad and more importantly getting minutes next season. Amad should be in and around the first team too! They are both more than good enough to be squad players.

Red4Life_#7

Any excuse to post again...reserves is too easy for him, needs to be in the squad and more importantly getting minutes next season. Amad should be in and around the first team too! They are both more than good enough to be squad players.
Hahaha! I have that stored on my computer somewhere, it's incredible.

lex talionis

The boy has shown enough to me to be given a proper chance with the first team next season.

jeepers

:drool:

But we have had the likes of Januzaj, Pereira, etc etc who were pissing around in reserves football and look where they are now. Januzaj released by Sociedad, Pereira just got rejected by Flamengo.

I enjoy watching Mejbri though and hope it works out for him here. I hope he eventually becomes a first team regular. He seems to have the right mentality.

bringbackbebe

:drool:

But we have had the likes of Januzaj, Pereira, etc etc who were pissing around in reserves football and look where they are now. Januzaj released by Sociedad, Pereira just got rejected by Flamengo.

I enjoy watching Mejbri though and hope it works out for him here. I hope he eventually becomes a first team regular. He seems to have the right mentality.
Januzaj should have made it to become something massive. He was a standout player in our first season under Moyes. Poor work ethic, lack of the right environment under LVG and our club being in a decline in general all added up to him being unsuccessful. We've seen this with other clubs as well in the likes of Pato/Robinho/Bojan etc.

Glorio

What's wrong with playing him deeper?
He's much better further forward in my opinion, and that's where he mostly plays.

For the reserves (unfortunately that's where he still plays most of his club football), he usually plays as a 10, an 8, or as a left wide forward. He's an offensive player, and while I think he has the skills to be a decent 6, I feel he's wasted and too restrained there.

In Rainbows

He's much better further forward in my opinion, and that's where he mostly plays.

For the reserves (unfortunately that's where he still plays most of his club football), he usually plays as a 10, an 8, or as a left wide forward. He's an offensive player, and while I think he has the skills to be a decent 6, I feel he's wasted and too restrained there.
His original position was an 8. I don't feel he's wasted there at all. If anything, him playing deeper can only be an asset considering that if he succeeds there you gain extra qualities compared to most who play that position. His technical ability, dribbling ability, etc... would only standout more because he would be more unique there. You're essentially gaining extra value at that position. Look at Frenkie.

Players with his skill set are far more likely to play further forward so you would not gain extra value in that position. They're easier roles to fill because so many players start off in that position. All your top talent at youth level is likely playing as a 10. Ravel, Januzaj, Rashford, Gomes, Greenwood, etc... all played in that position. The next top talents after them will likely come from that position too (Shea Lacey).

The thing is, out of all those United no10 talents, Mejbri is one of the only ones who started out playing deeper and still has the skillset to transition to a deeper position. I don't understand why we don't or won't develop him there when it's easier to win a position there given how awful our current options are for that position, and how tough it is to acquire a talent with that skill set in the transfer market.

Olecurls99

His original position was an 8. I don't feel he's wasted there at all. If anything, him playing deeper can only be an asset considering that if he succeeds there you gain extra qualities compared to most who play that position. His technical ability, dribbling ability, etc... would only standout more because he would be more unique there. You're essentially gaining extra value at that position. Look at Frenkie.

Players with his skill set are far more likely to play further forward so you would not gain extra value in that position. They're easier roles to fill because so many players start off in that position. All your top talent at youth level is likely playing as a 10. Ravel, Januzaj, Rashford, Gomes, Greenwood, etc... all played in that position. The next top talents after them will likely come from that position too (Shea Lacey).

The thing is, out of all those United no10 talents, Mejbri is one of the only ones who started out playing deeper and still has the skillset to transition to a deeper position. I don't understand why we don't or won't develop him there when it's easier to win a position there given how awful our current options are for that position, and how tough it is to acquire a talent with that skill set in the transfer market.
Great points. Especially the last one. We are crying out for technical players and here's one on our doorstep. Give him a go quick

Sea-Cow

Great points. Especially the last one. We are crying out for technical players and here's one on our doorstep. Give him a go quick
Agreed. And it seems like he prefers to be deep just so he can get on the ball more often and get more touches. From what I've seen he is always picking the ball up from the CBs so he can start moves. But, unfortunately, this does also lead to him occasionally getting ripped when he's 35 yards out from our goal and he takes too many touches or dwells too long. That can come with experience though.

Basically I just want to see him given a genuine go with the United first team. I think he can be special.

Status
Not open for further replies.