Height: 184cm
Position: Midfield - Attacking Midfield
Foot: Right
Contract expires: Jun 30, 2026
Date of last contract extension: Mar 16, 2021
Outfitter: Adidas

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Only 10 minutes but it was a nice little cameo.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Tought he lacked a bit of composure which is very uncharacterstic for him. Looked bright otherwise, never a striker or winger though.

redDNA

Supports
Enyimba FC of Aba
Looked good, I have hopes he will make it here, didn't watch him that much last year.

I don't know if going on loan and playing more games is more beneficial to his development than joining the first team and play a handful of cup games.

Coops73

I really like the look of Mejbri, I really think he’s going to make it here, ( hope I haven’t jinxed the poor kid now) but there’s just something about him. Played ok for the short time he was on.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
The little dummy down the wing that sent his opponent for a hot dog shows the quick thinking genius he has. That's what separates the good players from the great.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
With the exception of Greenwood, I can't remember being so sure of a player making it here.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
He's a proper player, this lad. The kind of player I hope we put more effort in developing. Players that know how to handle a football.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Hopefully he starts the next game. He plays with a real intensity on and off the ball that is very pleasing to see and wants the ball at every opportunity which is a really big positive for a young player IMO.

Drainy

If Pogba goes we should promote Mejbri and Shoretire as back up in the attacking positions, and buy a high class defensive midfielder / deep lying playmaker.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Hopefully he starts the next game. He plays with a real intensity on and off the ball that is very pleasing to see and wants the ball at every opportunity which is a really big positive for a young player IMO.

Very different frame and apperance, but as a player he reminds be abit about a young Luka Modric (end of Zagreb/beginning of Spurs).

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Very different frame and apperance, but as a player he reminds be abit about a young Luka Modric (end of Zagreb/beginning of Spurs).
I agree. Below is a short vid of Modric v Arsenal at 20 years old and he's playing with alot of freedom.

GueRed

my under 23's player of the season last season. Elanga pushing a close 2nd.

I hope he continues to develop.

Kramer

Reckon this guy is a top top talent. Really looking forward to him getting more minutes. Aside from fantastic technical ability and composure for someone his age, two qualities of his that go somewhat unnoticed:

1) His movement: Very good. He’s never static. Always on the move after playing a pass. Always tries to make himself available and wants the ball.
2) His tenacity: Always playing with a sense of urgency. Never hides on the pitch. Even 3 down vs QPR in a friendly, seemed like he was most eager to spur the side for a comeback. Pressing even the goalkeeper.

Hope he makes it. He is exactly the kind of midfielder who I think will bring balance to our mid-field in the long term. Someone who can really link up well with the attack in the final third against a low block side to open up defences. And can also drop deeper to control the tempo of games as well and is fairly press resistant against the top sides. And pretty decent short and long range passer as well.

Reactions: Jippy

thundercats

I'm skeptical as usual because utd youth players are often glorified on this forum, in the end most of them don't make it very far. List is quite big Morrison, Januzaj, Macheda, Rossi, James Wilson, Jonathan Spector, Bojan Djordjic, Luke Chadwick and many more but this is just from the top of my head.

macheda14

I'm skeptical as usual because utd youth players are often glorified on this forum, in the end most of them don't make it very far. List is quite big Morrison, Januzaj, Macheda, Rossi, James Wilson, Jonathan Spector, Bojan Djordjic, Luke Chadwick and many more but this is just from the top of my head.
Yeh but few of them were bought for a crazy amount of money for a youth player.

OmarUnited4ever

Class of 92
Wes Brown
Darren Fletcher
Jonny Evans
Paul Pogba
Scott McTominay
Dean Henderson
Marcus Rashford
Mason Greenwood

plenty made it from the academy, and i get your point about folks in the caf overhyping academy grads, i dont see it as an issue, it's good to back the academy players to make it to the first team and succeed

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Difference with them is we bought Mejbri for ridiculous money for an U16 player. He was highly rated long before we got our hands on him.

DevTheRed

One thing I’ve noticed is that he certainly doesn’t shy away from playing senior football, he’s always moving and looking for the ball. Gives me strong Pogba vibes when he started knocking on the first team door (without the 30-40 yard screamers), he certainly looks ready for some first team minutes here and there in the league.

thundercats

Class of 92
Wes Brown
Darren Fletcher
Jonny Evans
Paul Pogba
Scott McTominay
Dean Henderson
Marcus Rashford
Mason Greenwood

plenty made it from the academy, and i get your point about folks in the caf overhyping academy grads, i dont see it as an issue, it's good to back the academy players to make it to the first team and succeed
the big difference is none of these bar Greenwood and Pogba were hyped up, I see a trend of hard working players making it and technical vista players not making it.

Another one I just remembered Andreas Pereira, one of the worlds best under 16 players only to come up way short of the mark once he became a full pro.

Is Hannibal ready? I see he was only a late substitute in a reserve team that played yesterday. If we were Barcelona this guy would have played this sort of game 90min. If we don’t use these friendlies to see what he can do then when willl we see what he is capable of?
Just look at Barcelona they play the likes of Fati, Pedri, Araujo, Mingueza and Puig pretty regularly, some of them are already stars. Are these guys better than Hannibal of is the coaching staff at Utd blind?
If you have good prospects , just throw them for the lions.

in my opinion the likes of Rashford and Greenwood debuting young and staying in the team, it just doesn’t happen enough at Utd. I read all those raving opinions on utd’s youth here all the time but nothing much comes to fruition.
Even now we basically degraded Greenwood to the bench because of Sancho. Is his utd career now over? Maybe , maybe not but who can honestly say 100% now after this transfer that greenwood will make it here?

thundercats

Difference with them is we bought Mejbri for ridiculous money for an U16 player. He was highly rated long before we got our hands on him.
I don’t know how much we paid for him but there is one other highly rated player that came to utd as one of the worlds finest prospects at 16 Andreas Pereira and he didn’t make it either. Former player and coach Johan Boskamp said this kid then was the best player in the world U16. He is over 23 now and he still didn’t have his breakthrough at the top.

I hate to be pessimistic but in my opinion this is reality. I read so many opinions on how we don’t need Grealish because we got Hannibal, it is so disrespectful for a player like Grealish who has everything to become the EPL’s best player.
So what I ask of Ole and his coaches is to just play Hannibal to see what he can do. He is highly rated, let him prove it.

I have a friend who is a barca fan, he told me last year in the beginning of the season that Pedri would be the star of the Euroes. I laughed at him but he was right. If Hannibal is as good as what I read on redcafe then he should play now, not tomorrow.

I’ve got my fingers crossed for Hannibal but at the same time I don’t expect anything.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
you've been a member for a few weeks yet you know what fans thought of Spector back in 2004?

Thiagoal

The big question is.. can he play in a midfield two or would he be of equal liability to Paul Pogba and be a player we just can’t find a position for?

Red_toad

well that was my theory yeah

I remember Spector, but no idea what the Caf thought of him, only remember him playing in the first team then going to west ham, not that he was hyped as a youngster. still playing somewhere I believe.
The big question is.. can he play in a midfield two or would he be of equal liability to Paul Pogba and be a player we just can’t find a position for?
understudy to Bruno probably. But I think Amad will be taking that role. Lad needs a loan, probably in Spain as he’ll get the shite kicked out of him in England.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Best in a 4-3-3 with his dribbling ability IMO, he's very similar to Modric as others have mentioned.

He could happily play in a deeper 2 though, would just have to cut the dribbling down a little.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Modric played alot of games out wide in his younger days. I think that would be fine for Mejbri too. Could also work quite well for the team considering how well he press.

In fact, I would consider selling James to make room for Mejbri.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
He isn't similar to Pogba. He's a player that is quick and mobile on and off the ball and plays the game with real urgency. At Monaco he played as a playmaking #8 who not only got involved in the final third but also helped transition play by dropping very deep. I can see him play a deeper role in the long-term but for now I feel it's best to blood him in a advanced role.

thundercats

He isn't similar to Pogba. He's a player that is quick and mobile on and off the ball and plays the game with real urgency. At Monaco he played as a playmaking #8 who not only got involved in the final third but also helped transition play by dropping very deep. I can see him play a deeper role in the long-term but for now I feel it's best to blood him in a advanced role.
Yeah from the very limited time I’ve seen of him he looks more like a Renato Sanches type than a pogba

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Yeah from the very limited time I’ve seen of him he looks more like a Renato Sanches type than a pogba
He's not a Renato Sanchez type either IMO. He's a good dribbler which maybe clouds judgement due to his ability to carry the ball through the middle or down the flank. But he's a player with the ability to play in a deeper role aswell as playing in a advanced role due to his all round skillset which includes a passing range and vision which Renato Sanches never showed at the same age.

But I'd say it would probably be best to utilise him in a advanced role right now due to his inexperience at first team level. At the same age, Modric was sent out on loan by Dinamo Zagreb, which just goes to show that it's not easy to just come into the first team as a 18 year old. So if Mejbri can become a understudy to Fernandes this season then that will be fantastic for him.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
He's not a Renato Sanchez type either IMO. He's a good dribbler which maybe clouds judgement due to his ability to carry the ball through the middle or down the flank. But he's a player with the ability to play in a deeper role aswell as playing in a advanced role due to his all round skillset which includes a passing range and vision which Renato Sanches never showed at the same age.

But I'd say it would probably be best to utilise him in a advanced role right now due to his inexperience at first team level. At the same age, Modric was sent out on loan by Dinamo Zagreb, which just goes to show that it's not easy to just come into the first team as a 18 year old. So if Mejbri can become a understudy to Fernandes this season then that will be fantastic for him.
Isn't that the most likely scenario given he needs to stay with us for the next year to qualify as home grown? Imperative that he doesn't spend another season with U23 football. He might also be able to deputise wide left when Rashford is out, at least some matches, and of course get minutes off the bench.

Suppose Martial would be sold, which is unlikely, but if, then that's a huge opening for him. Just whether he's trusted enough by management to become one of the 15-16 players who will actually get games.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Isn't that the most likely scenario given he needs to stay with us for the next year to qualify as home grown? Imperative that he doesn't spend another season with U23 football. He might also be able to deputise wide left when Rashford is out, at least some matches, and of course get minutes off the bench.

Suppose Martial would be sold, which is unlikely, but if, then that's a huge opening for him. Just whether he's trusted enough by management to become one of the 15-16 players who will actually get games.
I think its been reported that United want to keep him around the first team fold this season. And you're right, there's potential opportunities on the horizon with Rashford being out and maybe someone being sold. Mejbri can play in several different positions which would be of great benefit. But he needs to show his worth to the coaches in the next few games, and if he does that, then hopefully we'll see a productive season from him. But so far in the limited time he's got on the pitch, he's done well IMO.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I think its been reported that United want to keep him around the first team fold this season. And you're right, there's potential opportunities on the horizon with Rashford being out and maybe someone being sold. Mejbri can play in several different positions which would be of great benefit. But he needs to show his worth to the coaches in the next few games, and if he does that, then hopefully we'll see a productive season from him. But so far in the limited time he's got on the pitch, he's done well IMO.
Yeah, for me young players need to showcase their ability in lineups that aren't massively imbalanced and devoid of quality. So hopefully Mejbri and Garner will get an opportunity to play with the big boys to stake their claim.

Status
Not open for further replies.