Some strange opinions in this thread. The ones mainly unable to see Hannibal's talent. I'm staggered they can't see his qualities.
It's not like:
- Ten Hag sent him out on loan rather than keep him this season. And used him in a strange way during the tour while Zidane Iqbal and Charlie Savage got mins in CM.
- He has 20 Championship starts (which is fine but not amazing). Birmingham's results don't seem, at first glance, to be any better when Mejbri starts.
- He went to the World Cup (a decent achievement given his age) yet only got 10 mins for Tunisia.
- Last season Rangnick gave him his first start (in a wide role rather than CM/AM) in the dead final match of the season and 6 mins as a late sub in the 0-4 loss at Liverpool.
- Since Sir Alex retired almost 10 years ago, only 4 players have come through the United youth system to go on to make 50 PL starts for United (without being bought back) and another 3 have made 20+ PL starts for United.
That's a lot of managers that could have given Mejbri more mins than they did and two United managers that haven't used him in the role that many of the posters in this thread expect him to play in the medium to longer term.
The thing that really surprises me is that so many posters seem to believe that Mejbri will be given a fair chance, when you only need look at Ten Hag's team selections this season to see that he, like Solskjaer before him, gives far more opportunities to players he likes (brought to the club - Antony and Weghorst for example), regardless of form, than their competition. Mejbri will have to win an unfair fight, be so much better than the alternatives when he gets a chance, that Ten Hag is almost forced to continue to select him.
Antony had a spell of 13 PL games without a goal or assist yet kept being selected. Ten Hag didn't even bother to give Pellistri a chance in case he could contribute more. Pellistri started 2 matches for Uruguay at the World Cup so clearly isn't completely useless. He's had a few good moments and a couple of errors in the very limited playing time he's been given.