Hannibal Mejbri image 46

Hannibal Mejbri Tunisia flag

2022-23 Performances

View full 2022-23 profile

Status
Not open for further replies.

In Rainbows

One thing I liked about Hannibal is his maturity in understanding positions in football

https://www.manutd.com/en/news/deta...where-in-midfield-as-he-names-his-three-idols
“To be honest with you, I’ll give my absolute best wherever I’m played out on the pitch, whether that be at no.8 or no.6 or no.10 or even on the wing,” Hannibal told club media.
“I think I’ve got the qualities to play all of those positions.

I just need to study each of them to make sure I tactically understand them, in particular without the ball and then when I have the ball I just have to play my own game and not feel any pressure.

Ekeke

You're never going to know how good a player is unless they're given a fair crack of the whip. Hannibal is the best player in the academy, if the best player in United's academy isn't "that good" then we're clearly doing something wrong.
Sir Alex used to say you put a young player in because they might surprise you even if you dont think they are ready. So thats probably the best thing to do. However...

There are many players young or otherwise that dont get a "fair crack of the whip" in the first team. And by that I assume you mean giving them like a 3 or 4 game run in the team in their best position to see if they can perform well enough to stay in. We have more players who dont get that than do.

But then we also have other players who do get that and don't seem to be the ones we should be showing faith to. Some examples of that are like Dan James, Ashley Young when he was a winger, Valencia at times staying in the team whilst playing poorly. McTom probably.

Voldemort is the opposite example of James. He was thrown in starting games at the start of the season and he looked too raw, but then after a bunch of games he went on his goalscoring run and proved it was correct to be getting him the gametime. With him out theres more chances for Elanga

So the answer would be to pick the right players to give that "fair crack of the whip" and clearly Hannibal hasnt been chosen yet

city-puma

Just watched some video of our training in Australia yesterday, I find Hannibal seemly a bit confused in some sessions. At the end of training, ETH walked and talked with him for a while. I guess it’s just a matter of time to see him get more playing time. Now, it’s a learning process.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
When it comes to natural talent it's clear that he's an incredibly gifted footballer. But to make it at the highest level there's so much more that you need- composure, tactical acumen, work rate, mentality etc. Like all players who have his innate technical qualities that'll decide how quickly / whether he makes it.

El Jefe

The posters that think this kid can contribute to us in midfield anytime soon are living in dreamland.

I can't think of a bigger example of a player not being ready. He doesn't have the discipline to play at all let alone playing in midfield.

He doesn't have it in my opinion, very overrated by a section of the fanbase.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
The challenge on the goalkeeper was a silly and dangerous one. I really like him though but think he really needs a loan.

JeffFromHK

I don't find a player in him. he is too slack and ill disciplined to be a good footballer.
Just another Gomes overhyped by our fanbase.

I can confidently gamble that he will never end up as a Man utd regular. he will appear in lower leagues in his mid 20s.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Utilised again as a false #9, so not sure what people are expecting. He's not playing in midfield.

Tony247

Entertaining in terms of picking fights but otherwise lot to improve.

mavradal

Worst player on the field today by far, the only thing he knows is to run hard at other players and pick fights with them

redom

Needs regular game time but I'm also wondering how he'll respond to ETHs coaching, maybe give it until Christmas and see how he's getting on, if he's making any inroads into the first team then great, if not then a loan might be order because he still looks pretty green.

Abraxas

I think it would make a lot of sense to get him some football on loan. I don't see any possibility that he's going to be a regular fixture in the first team. Why not let him gain experience and make his mistakes somewhere else? He'll mature for it. He looks to have a decent physique, I think he's ready for regular football and then we'll find out much more.

Banana Republic

Although it too early and the season hasn’t even started, it’s not looking too good for Hannibal at the moment.
Even with the limited time he’s had to impress ETH, he’s not done anything, not even a tiny glimpse or cameo, to further his cause.
His chances of getting into the first team this season are going to be very limited.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
He’s a good player but he needs help. Even as a youth I always thought his temperament would hold him back. If he could control that he will be able to get more playing time either with the first team or on loan. For me it’s his biggest, but perhaps only sticking point

Adnan

Talent Spotter
He’s a good player but he needs help. Even as a youth I always thought his temperament would hold him back. If he could control that he will be able to get more playing time either with the first team or on loan. For me it’s his biggest, but perhaps only sticking point
Tbh with you mate, his temperament hasn't been the issue in the minutes he's got thus far in preseason. He's being utilised too high up the pitch as a false #9 imo, and people who don't watch him play regularly are passing judgement on his abilities in the forward role he's being utilised in.

And for me his performances thus far in preseason are of a creative midfielder being utilised way too high up the pitch as a false #9, especially when we don't have the ball.

I just hope if he does go on loan, then it's to a club where he's utilised in a deeper role as a central midfielder. Because that's the area of the pitch where he can showcase his abilities like dribbling, passing, vision and a high stamina/fitness level.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
He basically hasn't been bothered about showing any of his talent in the first team and just goes and runs hard and tackles hard. Someone tell him to calm down and show why he's rated highly. Needs a loan to get used to professional football as it definitely doesn't look seemless for him.

sillwuka

Lad needs to control his aggression, we all love the tenacity but I've yet to see much skill on the ball or composure as of yet.

golden_blunder

Staff
Tbh with you mate, his temperament hasn't been the issue in the minutes he's got thus far in preseason. He's being utilised too high up the pitch as a false #9 imo, and people who don't watch him play regularly are passing judgement on his abilities in the forward role he's being utilised in.

And for me his performances thus far in preseason are of a creative midfielder being utilised way too high up the pitch as a false #9, especially when we don't have the ball.

I just hope if he does go on loan, then it's to a club where he's utilised in a deeper role as a central midfielder. Because that's the area of the pitch where he can showcase his abilities like dribbling, passing, vision and a high stamina/fitness level.
Fair point. I wonder if the new coaches see a grealish type in him.

personally I’ve always seen him as a deep player too. I wonder could he be utilised in the DeJong role.

ill still bark back to his temperament though he needs to get that under control. He’s only useful if he is still on the pitch not carded off

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Fair point. I wonder if the new coaches see a grealish type in him.

personally I’ve always seen him as a deep player too. I wonder could he be utilised in the DeJong role.

ill still bark back to his temperament though he needs to get that under control. He’s only useful if he is still on the pitch not carded off
When he arrived from Monaco he was a player they utilised as a creative #8, who was also utilised to be the first port of call for the CBs to look for, to progress play in the build up phase. And in those games his passing ability and not his dribbling ability was mostly on show. And not once did I see him lose his temper on the pitch for Monaco. He came to United and it was Neil Ryan that changed his position and we started seeing less of his passing abilities and more of his dribbling abilities higher up the pitch. I personally didn't think that was a good move by Ryan, and along with many of his tactical mistakes, I'm glad he's now left the club.

So the contrast between how he was being utilised at Monaco where he was being developed as a midfield metronome who didn't go around hunting for the ball and seemed to have a good temperament, to the player that came to United and worked with Neil Ryan was a big one. And those full matches of Hannibal at u17 level for Monaco are still on YouTube.

But having said that, I do agree he needs to keep his temper under control and I thought he did well, to do that several times in the game earlier where he walked away from confrontation. But he wasn't playing in midfield and was instead utilised as the most advanced forward. I don't expect him to stand out in such a role in the first team playing that role.

golden_blunder

Staff
When he arrived from Monaco he was a player they utilised as a creative #8, who was also utilised to be the first port of call for the CBs to look for, to progress play in the build up phase. And in those games his passing ability and not his dribbling ability was mostly on show. And not once did I see him lose his temper on the pitch for Monaco. He came to United and it was Neil Ryan that changed his position and we started seeing less of his passing abilities and more of his dribbling abilities higher up the pitch. I personally didn't think that was a good move by Ryan, and along with many of his tactical mistakes, I'm glad he's now left the club.

So the contrast between how he was being utilised at Monaco where he was being developed as a midfield metronome who didn't go around hunting for the ball and seemed to have a good temperament, to the player that came to United and worked with Neil Ryan was a big one. And those full matches of Hannibal at u17 level for Monaco are still on YouTube.

But having said that, I do agree he needs to keep his temper under control and I thought he did well, to do that several times in the game earlier where he walked away from confrontation. But he wasn't playing in midfield and was instead utilised as the most advanced forward. I don't expect him to stand out in such a role in the first team playing that role.
Do you think that with ETH talking about needing forwards that it may have been his “McTominay” moment like Jose

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Do you think that with ETH talking about needing forwards that it may have been his “McTominay” moment like Jose
I honestly couldn't say for sure, but I think with the options he has at his disposal in the attacking midfield roles with Bruno, Eriksen etc, and with a midfield metronome being targeted to come in, he's possibly experimenting with Hannibal in a false #9 role.

Davie Moyes

Spot on mate. I remember watching those Monaco highlights clips that you posted here on the Cafe and was thrilled we were getting a deep lying playmaker. Then when he arrived and showcased the dribbling skills, I thought fantastic this lad can do it all.

His lack of appearances and utilisation so high up the pitch has been the biggest disappointment so far for me in this pre-season. I was hoping when ETH was referring to in-house solutions to not getting De Jong it would be Hannibal earmarked for the role.

I feel we have not developed Hannibal, Amad and Pellestri as well as we should have so far early in their careers.

Davie Moyes

Not sure what to think about a possible loan. Of all the young players based on their performances in the reserves he seems the most ready. I would put him in the category of too good for a loan e.g. Rashford (following his breakthrough), Greenwood etc. However on the other hand if he's not going to get as much minutes as we hope then a good, well planned loan move would be better. Obviously that goes without saying for all our young players.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Spot on mate. I remember watching those Monaco highlights clips that you posted here on the Cafe and was thrilled we were getting a deep lying playmaker. Then when he arrived and showcased the dribbling skills, I thought fantastic this lad can do it all.

His lack of appearances and utilisation so high up the pitch has been the biggest disappointment so far for me in this pre-season. I was hoping when ETH was referring to in-house solutions to not getting De Jong it would be Hannibal earmarked for the role.

I feel we have not developed Hannibal, Amad and Pellestri as well as we should have so far early in their careers.
He needs games in midfield and i'm just hoping if he does end up at a championship club on a loan, he is utilised in midfield by the head coach. And it's important who the head coach is and how he wants his team to play.

Idxomer

He hasn't looked ready in his few appearances with the 1st team, a loan to the Championship would give a better assessment of his current level.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Would have liked to see him stay and play but this is best I think. Has no chance being thrown on as a fecking centre forward here and expecting to show his qualities.

ThanksBoss26

Tricky balance this one. I’d hoped he’d be ready for a squad role but if he’ll barely play, then 40 odd games on loan in a competitive league will be far more beneficial for him.

Difficult to see which of the younger players will be kept around next season. Iqbal maybe.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Tricky balance this one. I’d hoped he’d be ready for a squad role but if he’ll barely play, then 40 odd games on loan in a competitive league will be far more beneficial for him.

Difficult to see which of the younger players will be kept around next season. Iqbal maybe.
Iqbal looked out of his depth today also. Personally I think Savage has the game that will translate better to first team football.

Status
Not open for further replies.