Hannibal Mejbri image 46

Hannibal Mejbri Tunisia flag

2022-23 Performances

View full 2022-23 profile

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trex

I hope he learn to control his emotions, he's out there kicking opposition and looking to get into fights.
He should look at Iqbal and focus on showing his quality.

CM

He'll love kicking the shit out of everyone in the Championship

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
A loan is the best idea. He needs regular minutes to improve now and cement himself. He's on the verge of the first team but not good enough to fully displace somebody.

Let him play every week and get better and better. The championship is a great league now.

Grande

Tbh with you mate, his temperament hasn't been the issue in the minutes he's got thus far in preseason. He's being utilised too high up the pitch as a false #9 imo, and people who don't watch him play regularly are passing judgement on his abilities in the forward role he's being utilised in.

And for me his performances thus far in preseason are of a creative midfielder being utilised way too high up the pitch as a false #9, especially when we don't have the ball.

I just hope if he does go on loan, then it's to a club where he's utilised in a deeper role as a central midfielder. Because that's the area of the pitch where he can showcase his abilities like dribbling, passing, vision and a high stamina/fitness level.
Do I remember correctly if both Solskjær and Rangnik played him as a wide left in a 4-2-3-1? Given that Iqbal has gotten consistently more minutes than Hannibal by Ten Hag, has Zidane impressed more in training or doesN’t Ten Hag look at Hannibal as a contender for the central spots?

phelans shorts

I just feel that's the way he's going. I don't know if those loan moves are good for him. Playing him in every position but the one he shines in also. Feel he's moved behind Iqbal and Savage in midfield so we'll use him anywhere but there.
The manager (quite reasonably) probably worries about his temperament and that he can’t be relied upon. It is something he needs to iron out a bit so regular game time is going to help a lot more than being on the outside and being somewhat desperate to make an impression when he does get time.

city-puma

I think we should keep him rather than loaning him out. He is confused now on the pitch. I also saw it in some training session video. The best way is to ease him to the team in the real games with seniors taking greater responsibility. It’s five-sub rule the coming season. He will have plenty of opportunities. But first and foremost, he needs to figure out what he really should do and ETH needs to find a good way to use him. At the moment, it just has not clicked yet.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
What by loaning him?

Ten Hag has only been here a few weeks
The manager (quite reasonably) probably worries about his temperament and that he can’t be relied upon. It is something he needs to iron out a bit so regular game time is going to help a lot more than being on the outside and being somewhat desperate to make an impression when he does get time.
I don't have a problem with a loan. Just that those teams aren't renowned for being good footballing sidea. I'd hate to send him to a team that wants physicality and shite football. He needs to learn how to apply his game to a higher level, first and foremost. If he ends up at some team like Millwall he'll end up benched because they won't value what he can bring.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Do I remember correctly if both Solskjær and Rangnik played him as a wide left in a 4-2-3-1? Given that Iqbal has gotten consistently more minutes than Hannibal by Ten Hag, has Zidane impressed more in training or doesN’t Ten Hag look at Hannibal as a contender for the central spots?
Solskjaer played him for a few minutes at the end in a game against Wolves in a advanced role. And Rangnick started him on the left of the attack against Palace.

I don't know to be honest with you, but I think ten Hag's first priority is to prepare the team for the new season and his focus seems to be mostly on players who will make up his first 11 against Brighton. Zidane and Savage have done well but it seems they have benefited from being available to ten Hag earlier than others. But I think Hannibal going on loan is probably for the best due to the players he has in-front of him in the AM role and with the potential arrival of de Jong. Even Luka Modric was sent on loan to the Bosnian league when he was at Dinamo Zagreb.

Tarrou

Tricky balance this one. I’d hoped he’d be ready for a squad role but if he’ll barely play, then 40 odd games on loan in a competitive league will be far more beneficial for him.

Difficult to see which of the younger players will be kept around next season. Iqbal maybe.
what’s tricky about it? He isn’t ready and needs a loan

city-puma

Solskjaer played him for a few minutes at the end in a game against Wolves in a advanced role. And Rangnick started him on the left of the attack against Palace.

I don't know to be honest with you, but I think ten Hag's first priority is to prepare the team for the new season and his focus seems to be mostly on players who will make up his first 11 against Brighton. Zidane and Savage have done well but it seems they have benefited from being available to ten Hag earlier than others. But I think Hannibal going on loan is probably for the best due to the players he has in-front of him in the AM role and with the potential arrival of de Jong. Even Luka Modric was sent on loan to the Bosnian league when he was at Dinamo Zagreb.
It’s true. ETH is concentrated to prepare for the new season, as he said, it takes time to develop the team to his play style but we need to get results from the beginning. I watched all available preseason training video. He has a starting X as a group and the fringe, backup group which including Varan, Telles, AWB, Bailey, VDB, and youngsters most of time. Sometimes, Varan joins the first group. So, it’s about to be ready for the league with an eye on different tweaks.

arthurka

I just feel that's the way he's going. I don't know if those loan moves are good for him. Playing him in every position but the one he shines in also. Feel he's moved behind Iqbal and Savage in midfield so we'll use him anywhere but there.
I agree with the position conundrum, he ain't a forward so why bother that? Strange indeed

ThanksBoss26

what’s tricky about it? He isn’t ready and needs a loan
Numbers more than anything. I don’t disagree - he does need a loan. Then so does Amad, Pellistri, Elanga, the list goes on. We could have done with one or two being able to accommodate a squad rotation role this season. But if they’re not ready, they’re not ready.

Drz

I feel he has technique and talent, his work-rate is good too, but comes across a bit clueless on the ball.
His decision-making and overall grasp of his role within a team needs work.
I don't know if a loan in the championship would help him improve those elements.
Ten hag's coaching or a team/coach that will help him understand his role and decision making would be better.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I’m sure he’ll be fine and should be looking at a solid 30+ game season of senior football if he’s as good as we all assume.

Henderson and Garner have both had good spells in the championship recently; Chelsea have had a massive host of their youth players doing well there too. Think this will be a good move.

Abraxas

I feel he has technique and talent, his work-rate is good too, but comes across a bit clueless on the ball.
I don't know if a loan in the championship would help him improve those elements.
Ten hag's coaching or a team/coach that will help him understand his role and decision making would be better.
Yeah but you can't just have all theory and no practice. ETH whipping out a PowerPoint and explaining his function in the team is all well and good but you need experience. Holding off challenges, making decisions in the final third, dealing with expectation and emotion. He'd get these things out on loan. Here it's hard to imagine he's going to get enough football. 5 mins here and there won't fulfill his potential.

flameinthesun

Hannibal is an interesting player, talent wise I would say that he's not as talented as andreas was in the youth/reserves, but he does seem to have a good attitude about him. In the end its all about how he reacts to senior football. Needs to have a good loan I think.

Grande

His role interpretation at U23 level seems fine to me. If you are thinking about the preseason game, it would make more sense that he looks clueless as to his role, as he’s almost neber played that role before.

Kag

I hope he learn to control his emotions, he's out there kicking opposition and looking to get into fights.
He should look at Iqbal and focus on showing his quality.
Really? Ashley Young was three inches higher away from breaking his ankle and he dealt with it well.

He challenged for a 50/50 with the goalkeeper, got screamed at by opposition players, then calmly waited to shake his hand.

Narratives are funny. It’s been (quite rightly) decided that he has an edge, so people then look for things that aren’t even there in order to justify their position. Baseless, really.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Best thing for him going out on loan.

Looks like he needs to learn a lot judging by his pre season efforts so far.

Lots of effort and bluster, not enough class at the moment.

Davie Moyes

It's clear reading this thread not many have actually ever watched him play for the reserves or youth team and are forming an opinion on a few mins of playing up front in a position he's never played before.

In Rainbows

Hannibal is an interesting player, talent wise I would say that he's not as talented as andreas was in the youth/reserves, but he does seem to have a good attitude about him. In the end its all about how he reacts to senior football. Needs to have a good loan I think.
There is no way Pereira was better or more talented than Hannibal. There isn't anything Andreas is better than Hannibal at.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
It's clear reading this thread not many have actually ever watched him play for the reserves or youth team and are forming an opinion on a few mins of playing up front in a position he's never played before.
100%
Reads like Twitter.

In Rainbows

Would have liked to see him stay and play but this is best I think. Has no chance being thrown on as a fecking centre forward here and expecting to show his qualities.
The problem is that the coaches at his loan club will likely look to guidance from United, and if United have played him all over the place, and all his first team minutes are as an attacking player, he will likely be seen as an attacker by that manager. I've complained about this in the past in regards to the trusted "play him up front because it's easier to ease them into the first team this way."

Meanwhile Garner has a defined role at youth level, gets minutes in the Europa in that same role, and then plays on loan in that same role. Mejbri has no such advantage because for some reason the United coaches wanted to play him everywhere.

Trequarista10

People should chill a little, him playing as a forward is at least partially because we have very few forwards in the travelling squad. He's a talented player still finding his feet in the game, plenty of time for him to find his best position. Grealish was mostly playing as an 8 until his early 20s before establishing himself on the left wing, even a talent like Foden has broke through at City in forward positions whilst being earmarked for centre midfield. Modric, Bernardo Silva, David Silva too started out wide. Its fairly normal for that kind of playmaker. Some stay as wide men like Joe Cole, Mata, Beckham. Others revert centrally as they mature. Central midfield is the hardest position to play, for technically excellent young players it's sometimes harder for them to adapt at first team level because they need to learn when to keep it simple, when to be disciplined, when to move it quickly, whereas at age group football they've been accustomed to waltzing past the opposition when in dangerous situations because they were so far ahead ability wise. So playing further forwards allows them more freedom.

Drz

Yeah but you can't just have all theory and no practice. ETH whipping out a PowerPoint and explaining his function in the team is all well and good but you need experience. Holding off challenges, making decisions in the final third, dealing with expectation and emotion. He'd get these things out on loan. Here it's hard to imagine he's going to get enough football. 5 mins here and there won't fulfill his potential.
I agree with all you said. I guess i meant to convey that the right coach/system deployed by the team we would be loaning him to is just as important.
I guess I don't see the right team for him in the championship, but that's also due to my lack of knowledge.
For example if there were a team playing a similar way to Brighton in the championship it would do him good.

El Jefe

I also think a lot of the regular watchers overstate the importance of his performances in the u23s. Some here give the impression that Hannibal should be seen as a player with a nailed on pathway to the first team and I don't get it.

Of course he's played well in the reserves but lets not act like Amad didn't look world class in his few u23 performances. At the end of the day, its what you do in training and in your first team appearances that counts. I've seen nothing from him in the first team games and three different managers look to have no interest in playing him in CM, I don't even think he played there for his NT so how can he get games there for us.

I'm not totally writing him off but my general point is I've seen better players than Hannibal in our academy not make it. If he does well enough he'll get his chance, as Greenwood clearly proves.

mavradal

Every longtime Red Devils fan knows youth/reserve level performance rarely translates into same performance at the senior level. Maybe you need to stop living in the past and focus more on the present.

flameinthesun

There is no way Pereira was better or more talented than Hannibal. There isn't anything Andreas is better than Hannibal at.
If you watched reserves at the time Andreas was a much better passer of the ball than Hannibal, much better at set pieces, dribbling wise they were about the same. Yes Andreas hasn't turned into the player he could have potentially been but back in the unders he was very good and very talented. The point being Hannibal is talented but he is not a standout talent like a Mason. He's in the bracket of Andreas, Januzaj, Gomes and just like those guys he's not a shoe in to become a first team player.

flameinthesun

I also think a lot of the regular watchers overstate the importance of his performances in the u23s. Some here give the impression that Hannibal should be seen as a player with a nailed on pathway to the first team and I don't get it.

Of course he's played well in the reserves but lets not act like Amad didn't look world class in his few u23 performances. At the end of the day, its what you do in training and in your first team appearances that counts. I've seen nothing from him in the first team games and three different managers look to have no interest in playing him in CM, I don't even think he played there for his NT so how can he get games there for us.

I'm not totally writing him off but my general point is I've seen better players than Hannibal in our academy not make it. If he does well enough he'll get his chance, as Greenwood clearly proves.
Just adding to what your saying as theres a poster who got offended that I compared Hannibal to Andreas. There are a loooootttt of youth teamers who looked amazing at u18 level (mason, hannibal, pogba, ravel, gomes, andreas, januzaj,.welbeck, will Keane etc). But there have only been a few who also clearly were too good for the reserves mainly mason, Amad when he joined, Januzaj once he started training with the first team when he played the odd mstch for the reserves absolutely stood out. The da silva twins also were clearly too good for the reserves when they first joined us. Andreas as well also looked too good for reserves.a one point. Rossi, will keane etc However the likes of gomes, hannibal, Garner etc have looked good at times in the reserves but they have not stood out in the way some of the other youth team players have. Now that doesn't necessarily mean that they won't make it as Mct didnt standout yet made it and Januzaj, Andreas were standing out and didnt. The point being with Hannibal, he hasn't shown that he is a generational talent, but rather a good prospect who hopefully can break into the team at some point.

youmeletsfly

The "natural" position he played in for the reserves/youth teams has nothing to do with his position in the first team on a preseason tour.

He had a few chances to impress, he didn't.

Don't know why United fans are always so defensive about the youth players. Please call spade a spade. It's absolutely irrelevant if he "had it" at reserve lever when the few minutes he played for the first team made it quite obvious until now that he "doesn't have it".

He should go on loan, play 20-30 games of Championship/Lower EPL games and take it from there. He should be nowhere near out first team, not even on the bench.

Davie Moyes

The "natural" position he played in for the reserves/youth teams has nothing to do with his position in the first team on a preseason tour.

He had a few chances to impress, he didn't.

Don't know why United fans are always so defensive about the youth players. Please call spade a spade. It's absolutely irrelevant if he "had it" at reserve lever when the few minutes he played for the first team made it quite obvious until now that he "doesn't have it".

He should go on loan, play 20-30 games of Championship/Lower EPL games and take it from there. He should be nowhere near out first team, not even on the bench.
Don't know why United fans are even quicker to write off our young players.

You've said it yourself the few minutes in the first team and that's enough to make a judgement and that he should be nowhere near the bench?

Those that watch the reserves/youth team would probably put him only behind Greenwood in terms of talent shown in the last few years so if we can't be defensive about our best then who would we get defensive about.

In Rainbows

If you watched reserves at the time Andreas was a much better passer of the ball than Hannibal, much better at set pieces, dribbling wise they were about the same. Yes Andreas hasn't turned into the player he could have potentially been but back in the unders he was very good and very talented. The point being Hannibal is talented but he is not a standout talent like a Mason. He's in the bracket of Andreas, Januzaj, Gomes and just like those guys he's not a shoe in to become a first team player.
Nah I strongly disagree with this. Maybe after the hype of the milk cup where he looked like Thiago. Andreas was never in the bracket of Januzaj, Gomes, etc.... who showed more consistency (performed to the level their talent suggested), which to me put them at that level after the fact. Sure Andreas could dribble, provide a through ball, etc..., but because he didn't do it as consistently as the others I cannot say he is as good at it as they were. That it took him until he was almost 19 years old (18. 75 years old at start of 2014/15 season) to start performing at a satisfactory level for the u21s may be harsh, but to be in that bracket with Gomes and Januzaj, you need to do that. It's the same with Rashford in the age comparison to Greenwood (apart from technical consistency Mason had).

I also don't believe he's as good of a dribbler, and I don't believe he's a better passer (debatable). He was a better passer than Gomes. I can agree with the corners, although I wasn't much of a fan of his freekicks (initially he was great is what I remember).

Here is my opinion in 2014, which I still haven't changed. I feel like if you were to read the game threads from back then, they would agree with my opinion.
It's not hindsight at all. A lot of the players outperformed Pereira last season. Rothwell, Pearson, Wilson, Janko, Charni, etc... Obviously Pereira has more technical ability and a higher potential than the names listed, but playing behind the striker he wasn't creative enough, and didn't cause the defenses all that much trouble. Whenever he had the ball in the final third, he would usually only look to create an opening for himself. The attack as a whole was awful for the reserve team so it might be harsh on him, but it would have been worse if not for the finishing of Wilson and the drive of Rothwell.

This is all based on last season which I watched every one of his matches. 99corrigan also makes numerous videos of his performances even when other players outperformed him. No one is writing him off here. He's still really young and can obviously develop into a fantastic player. But you can't tell me Pogba at the same age wasn't putting in better performances or showing more than him. I can't even think of one performance at the u18 or u21 level (this past season) where Pereira put in a performance as good as Pogba did in the 2nd leg of the FA Youth Cup final.

And again, I was one of the people who also thought Januzaj was ready for the first team. I just wasn't on the forum at the time.

Although I think Pereira will not end up playing behind the striker and instead deeper, the comparison wasn't about who was the better midfielder (midfield 2). The comparison was in terms of consistency. I think Pogba's best bits of play were a level above Pereira's.

If you want to compare him to another attacking midfielder, then you can compare him to Januzaj although that would be unfair on him.

Last edited:

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Reports of him playing as false 9 again. I am bit surprised to see him play there.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Reports of him playing as false 9 again. I am bit surprised to see him play there.
I had such high hopes for this season. All I can say is that we don’t see training, but on current viewing, he probably will already have an eye on whether his future lies elsewhere. Ten Hag hasn’t seemed to fancy him at all, and he’s not been given a fair chance to stake his claim in midfield. He’s spent pre-season playing centre forward in our B team alongside the likes of Chong.

Skills

Snitch
I had such high hopes for this season. All I can say is that we don’t see training, but on current viewing, he probably will already have an eye on whether his future lies elsewhere. Ten Hag hasn’t seemed to fancy him at all, and he’s not been given a fair chance to stake his claim in midfield. He’s spent pre-season playing centre forward in our B team alongside the likes of Chong.
This is where a more hands on DOF would be useful. Along with head of youth development, he should be able to tell the manager that he's either going to use young players the way they want them developed or they'll just take them out of his and send them on loan.

The players belong to the club - not the manager. And the club should always do whats best for itself, rather than the current manager.

Grande

It can certainly seem that way. Moght it also be a possibility that Ten Hag, sceptical of wether Ronaldo will stay and wether we will be able to get in a first class striker, is trying out the false nine with players he thinks have the technique and awareness to performe it, Amad and Hannibal? Bothbhave had a surpising amount of minutes in that position. I don’t know, it seems strange that Iqbal and Chong should have leapfrogged them totally.

Bondi77

He would offer more than DVB IMO but if we could get him a loan with a good Championship side I would be fine with that

Mr PG

I love Hannibal but always considered zidane a bit ahead of him even when Hannibal came into the team. Reason is Zidane has quicker reflexes which helps make up for size disadvantage in the men’s game. Im the long run they’ll be twins .. like Rashford and Martial. But very technically accomplished for both… they will be very good midfielders.

ETH is the best thing that ever happened to our young players football wise as in a few months they’ll be perfectly integrated in a pass and move system where their technical skills can flourish unlike a system like Ole’s that requires a player look after themselves and improvise on the pitch (look what that did to Vdb).

Status
Not open for further replies.