Hannibal Mejbri | Birmingham Loan Watch

Baxquux

Baller. Surely he needs a Premier League loan next season ( Middlesbrough via the playoffs) at the least. Wouldn't mind him starting alongside more experienced no. 6 in cup games and brought on to play the Fred reserve role when defending leads and counter-pressing in 2nd halves either.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
When your keeper is regularly playing long balls, then it's obvious that the manager has no intention of building the play from the defensive third. Because the keeper is very important in the build up play in the defensive third.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
When your keeper is regularly playing long balls, then it's obvious that the manager has no intention of building the play from the defensive third. Because the keeper is very important in the build up play in the defensive third.
But it doesn't mean they are a long ball team, it merely means the keeper kicks long.

It's obvious that Ruddy isn't the best on the ball so it's a risk aversion tactic, but when the defenders have the ball they build up through the lines well rather than looking long.
So they have every intention of building it up from the back, and do so in a quick fashion, just not starting from the keeper.

Hoof the ball

Considering Ruddy has made over 750 long balls, more than triple the nearest player in the Birmingham ranks, I'd say it is more likely making my statement more true than not.

But of course stats need context, so Stokes keeper in 16 games (13 fewer than Ruddy for clarity) has made around 190 long passes.....

I think we have found our culprit for Birmingham's long passes....
One would presume that a GK makng that amount of long passes is a result of a deliberate tactical instruction, which if true, essentially just confirms the point that Adnan and Messier are making; namely that it is intentional. I find it highly improbable that Ruddy has gone half a season without correction by the coaching team if his persistent long passes weren't intended as part of their approach as a whole.

ti vu

Hope his development go well over the next season. We shouldn't extend Fred contract. Hannibal should be the type to take over that rotation role by then.

Fred's high energy and stamina demanding style of play, is difficult to sustain when he's in his 30.

massi83

The angle from behind the goal shows it was not that big of a GK mistake. More of an awesome free kick from Hannibal.
It does not show that at all. It is a good strike though, but obviously mainly a huge error from keeper. Well 3 errors actually, his positioning, the positioning of the wall and the late reaction.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
But it doesn't mean they are a long ball team, it merely means the keeper kicks long.

It's obvious that Ruddy isn't the best on the ball so it's a risk aversion tactic, but when the defenders have the ball they build up through the lines well rather than looking long.
So they have every intention of building it up from the back, and do so in a quick fashion, just not starting from the keeper.
I never said they were a 'long ball team' but rather they're a team that wants to bypass the build up phase by going direct/long with a purpose to win the first or second balls high up the pitch with the counter press as the defensive mechanism. And those direct long balls are played with purpose with a strategy in mind.

Eustace obviously doesn't trust the team to play out from the defensive third.

Messier1994

The Swedish Rumble
How is he doing on loan this season?
Really well, from my point of view.

You can say a lot about the championship, but it’s a physical league. Nobody presses as well as Mejbri in that league. And the kid is just really fast and tenacious. He hasn’t left the pitch once this season (when I’ve seen him), without at least 3-4 times having hunted someone down and stripped them of a ball in situations nobody expected him to be able to do that.

With the ball, he has a tough situation. Across the board, looking at stats like possession, pass completion and stuff like that — Birmingham is a bottom 3 team. They do alright when they face better teams, but I don’t think they could carry the play well against a League One team. Mejbri can at times slow things down and create some order on the pitch, but he also gets caught up in doing an extreme amount of pressing and chasing around, and when he gets the ball — none of his teammates are of the mindset that they shall keep possession more than 3 passes. I want to underline this, because it is impacting and will impact Mejbri’s performance.

Let’s look at his passing stats from FBref, it is not pretty:

But again, he is on a team that per design never slow things down, almost always, it’s all about sending the ball up towards and area where they have personnel and then chase after it. But no matter what — they are not well coached at all. Like if Ole tried to play Bielsa’s system, you get something that looks like Birmingham. Most of their pressing comes from Mejbri’s inhumane work ethic.

In light of the above, Mejbri is definitely a high flair, highly skilled player. He will dribble his way out of trouble. He will make really good crosses, his passing foot is great. Making a high light reel of his top plays is most nights an easy job and it won’t be short.

But to become a player ETH is really comfortable with, simply, his passing percentage cannot be in the bottom percentile. If you line up 100 championship midfielders this year of which Mejbri is one, 99 will have delivered a higher percent of their passes than Mejbri. He needs to learn to pick his spots a lot better. To slow down the play much more.

But the potential is definitely there. The sky is the limit for this kid.

Champ

I never said they were a 'long ball team' but rather they're a team that wants to bypass the build up phase by going direct/long with a purpose to win the first or second balls high up the pitch with the counter press as the defensive mechanism. And those direct long balls are played with purpose with a strategy in mind.

Eustace obviously doesn't trust the team to play out from the defensive third.
Only the GK he doesn't trust, they build it up nicely from the defensive line.

Champ

One would presume that a GK makng that amount of long passes is a result of a deliberate tactical instruction, which if true, essentially just confirms the point that Adnan and Messier are making; namely that it is intentional. I find it highly improbable that Ruddy has gone half a season without correction by the coaching team if his persistent long passes weren't intended as part of their approach as a whole.
Course it's tactical, you can see that by the way the Birmingham Defensive line steps up as soon as Ruddy gets the ball at his feet.

What we have here is a few people misconstruing the keeper going long with the team bypassing the midfield, which seems to be the insinuation and has been said.
This is incorrect, as they often play the ball through the lines and rarely go long unless they have to.
The biggest issue is Birmingham don't really care to much for keeping possession, hence the low numbers of short passes. They look to get the ball forward early rather than shuffle side to side looking for gaps.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Is he the tenacious midfielder to replace Fred and help us out by turning to a 3 man midfield vs City for example?

Champ

Is he the tenacious midfielder to replace Fred and help us out by turning to a 3 man midfield vs City for example?
Not yet, but he is certainly heading in the right direction.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Not yet, but he is certainly heading in the right direction.
Does he play like Fred is what I’m asking?

Im asking because I feel like we need a playmaker to take over Eriksen and a ball winner to take over Mctominay.

If we can then replace our tenacious energetic type of footballer by Hannibal arguably on a free then Fred can go and the likelihood of getting 2 CDM/CM (ball winner & playmaker) then rises.

Champ

Does he play like Fred is what I’m asking?

Im asking because I feel like we need a playmaker to take over Eriksen and a ball winner to take over Mctominay.

If we can then replace our tenacious energetic type of footballer by Hannibal arguably on a free then Fred can go and the likelihood of getting 2 CDM/CM (ball winner & playmaker) then rises.
Certainly for me he has similar skill sets.

Works hard, supports defence and attack, is good on the ball and isn't shy of putting a challenge in.

I don't see him as a playmaker though, so I guess from that he is more of a Fred type player.
I can see him playing a part in the first team squad next season should top four be achieved, as I get the impression Fred will be surplus to EtHs plans.

Remember the geese

Nice goal and good game. But I think he needs another championship loan next year. I don't think he would play regularly for a premier league team yet. Or maybe he could go to Germany or Italy.
I agree with the idea of another loan. Though this time I'd like him to go to a side that are more dominant and proactive in possession.

Red00012

Cracking goal.

Still waiting for these Birmingham long balls the Redcafe tactical experts keep claiming they play :lol: :houllier:

Hannibal having a decent game so far, works his socks off in the middle.
Sorry to burst your bubble but that’s how they play . I watched as much as I can only because of Mejbri and yes midfield does get bypassed a lot

Red00012

Nice goal and good game. But I think he needs another championship loan next year. I don't think he would play regularly for a premier league team yet. Or maybe he could go to Germany or Italy.
I’d prefer another loan in the championship all our foreign loans usually don’t work out

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Really well, from my point of view.

You can say a lot about the championship, but it’s a physical league. Nobody presses as well as Mejbri in that league. And the kid is just really fast and tenacious. He hasn’t left the pitch once this season (when I’ve seen him), without at least 3-4 times having hunted someone down and stripped them of a ball in situations nobody expected him to be able to do that.

With the ball, he has a tough situation. Across the board, looking at stats like possession, pass completion and stuff like that — Birmingham is a bottom 3 team. They do alright when they face better teams, but I don’t think they could carry the play well against a League One team. Mejbri can at times slow things down and create some order on the pitch, but he also gets caught up in doing an extreme amount of pressing and chasing around, and when he gets the ball — none of his teammates are of the mindset that they shall keep possession more than 3 passes. I want to underline this, because it is impacting and will impact Mejbri’s performance.

Let’s look at his passing stats from FBref, it is not pretty:

But again, he is on a team that per design never slow things down, almost always, it’s all about sending the ball up towards and area where they have personnel and then chase after it. But no matter what — they are not well coached at all. Like if Ole tried to play Bielsa’s system, you get something that looks like Birmingham. Most of their pressing comes from Mejbri’s inhumane work ethic.

In light of the above, Mejbri is definitely a high flair, highly skilled player. He will dribble his way out of trouble. He will make really good crosses, his passing foot is great. Making a high light reel of his top plays is most nights an easy job and it won’t be short.

But to become a player ETH is really comfortable with, simply, his passing percentage cannot be in the bottom percentile. If you line up 100 championship midfielders this year of which Mejbri is one, 99 will have delivered a higher percent of their passes than Mejbri. He needs to learn to pick his spots a lot better. To slow down the play much more.

But the potential is definitely there. The sky is the limit for this kid.
Oh sounds not too bad, its all part of progression isn't it, as long as potential is there. But do you reckon he should try another loan next season in some PL teams?

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Only the GK he doesn't trust, they build it up nicely from the defensive line.
The build up starts from the keeper. And none of their CBs are particular good against a press hence they've lost all 5 games where Eustace attempted to build play from the back where they averaged more than 50% possession.

Champ

The build up starts from the keeper. And none of their CBs are particular good against a press hence they've lost all 5 games where Eustace attempted to build play from the back where they averaged more than 50% possession.
Again, this is where stats can be manipulated.

I saw that stat during the game, and even the commentator made a comment about Birmingham being more comfortable in counter attacking and absorbing the pressure.

A team that does that doesn't automatically equate to a long ball team.
I think it's clear Birmingham are not a long ball team bar the GK who would rather lose the ball to void any potential risk.
The CBs don't often go long, they look short more often than not.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Again, this is where stats can be manipulated.

I saw that stat during the game, and even the commentator made a comment about Birmingham being more comfortable in counter attacking and absorbing the pressure.

A team that does that doesn't automatically equate to a long ball team.
I think it's clear Birmingham are not a long ball team bar the GK who would rather lose the ball to void any potential risk.
The CBs don't often go long, they look short more often than not.
I never said Birmingham were a long ball team. They're a team who bypasss the build up play in the first phase and look to transition play quickly towards the final third with aerial/ground duels and the counter press as the defense mechanism. Hence their possession stats and ball retention is among the worst in the division.

Messier1994

The Swedish Rumble
Oh sounds not too bad, its all part of progression isn't it, as long as potential is there. But do you reckon he should try another loan next season in some PL teams?
It depends a bit of what happens to the squad in the summer.

I would probably like to see Mejbri be one of 6 CMs as of next season. What we need the most IMO is a No 8. But we also lack a sub for Casemiro. If we get someone like FDJ who can play both as a CDM (deep lying playmaker) and No 8, there is definitely room for Mejbri. If not, and we get both a younger CDM who can be the understudy to Casemiro, and a No 8 who will start regularly, I think it’s harder to fit in Mejbri. I don’t think they would want to upset the chemistry of the locker room by selling Fred.

Realistically, Mejbri goes on loan another season before replacing Fred for the 24/25 season.

footballbite

Yeah I just can't get my head around people thinking that a midfielder in the bottom 1% of pass completion in the Championship is ready for the Premier League next season, let alone a Man Utd side expected to dominate possession.

His creativity stats are padded by the fact he takes all their set-pieces. From open play he creates little with the ball

I never said Birmingham were a long ball team. They're a team who bypasss the build up play in the first phase and look to transition play quickly towards the final third with aerial/ground duels and the counter press as the defense mechanism. Hence their possession stats and ball retention is among the worst in the division.
Also, even if you did count Birmingham as a "long ball team", Hannibal is still one of their worst midfielders for pass completion percentage .

Realistically, Mejbri goes on loan another season before replacing Fred for the 24/25 season.
Realistically, Mejbri goes on loan to the Champ again next season while being overtaken by Mainoo at Utd for the no. 8 backup spot.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Yeah I just can't get my head around people thinking that a midfielder in the bottom 1% of pass completion in the Championship is ready for the Premier League next season, let alone a Man Utd side expected to dominate possession.

His creativity stats are padded by the fact he takes all their set-pieces. From open play he creates little with the ball

Also, even if you did count Birmingham as a "long ball team", Hannibal is still one of their worst midfielders for pass completion percentage .
You can put Barca's Pedri in that Birmingham team and it would effect his pass completion percentage because winning physical duels and transitioning play quickly towards the final third is the aim. There is no build up play from the first phase.

In the game yesterday Hannibal played as the most advanced midfielder and Birmingham overloaded the middle phase which allowed them to win their share of ground and aerial duels and hence Hannibal had a pass completion of 81%, which is very good for a attacking mid occupying the spaces between the middle and final thirds. If Birmingham lose the battle in the middle third, then that will have a direct impact on how much space the likes of Hannibal will have on the ball which will impact his pass completion rate due to being isolated on the ball with a lack of passing options. So it's important he also shows a high work rate to contribute to the closing down/presing. And imo, his pressing is a big part of Birmingham's fast transition strategy.

Messier1994

The Swedish Rumble
Nah, he definitely is the one who makes the most happen for BCFC from "creative" plays.

Like I said, his passing stats are misleading -- there is room for improvement from my point of view, but definitely not a "big" flaw. When its broken down more, his "medium range" progressive passing for example is stellar, but his short progressive passing is just 50% -- how can that be possible?

He is simply involved in so many 50/50 situations, so many of those short passes that doesn't connects are more or less "pokes" at the ball after winning possession. He is also really good at providing an option for his teammates when they are pressured, and gets so many passes when someone is upon him right away. So, I've seen him at least 10-15 times this season and I have basically never seen him have a "Fred" moment where he just sprays balls around him. He is definitely smart and makes good decisions with the ball.

But you make a good point in that, what does ETH want from a CM? Where does he fit in? We know that HM was played as a winger during camp while Iqpal got more chances at CM. Mejbri must definitely work on 'picking his spots' better. I think this map is pretty telling, he is simply all over the place.

This ability is fantastic, and ETH would -- love -- his pressing ability. But for us, the key concern is if a CM can move in a set pattern, play within the team's structure, constantly be aware of what his teammates are doing, take the position of someone that rotates with him, etc etc etc. His long range passing is good, he is great at moving the ball from one side to the other when someone is open. But its regarding those "structured" aspects that I am the most concerned.

The big reason for why I would not want him to go on loan next season is because in the areas he needs the most development, he will get nothing playing in the Championship.

criticalanalysis

Nah, he definitely is the one who makes the most happen for BCFC from "creative" plays.

Like I said, his passing stats are misleading -- there is room for improvement from my point of view, but definitely not a "big" flaw. When its broken down more, his "medium range" progressive passing for example is stellar, but his short progressive passing is just 50% -- how can that be possible?

He is simply involved in so many 50/50 situations, so many of those short passes that doesn't connects are more or less "pokes" at the ball after winning possession. He is also really good at providing an option for his teammates when they are pressured, and gets so many passes when someone is upon him right away. So, I've seen him at least 10-15 times this season and I have basically never seen him have a "Fred" moment where he just sprays balls around him. He is definitely smart and makes good decisions with the ball.

But you make a good point in that, what does ETH want from a CM? Where does he fit in? We know that HM was played as a winger during camp while Iqpal got more chances at CM. Mejbri must definitely work on 'picking his spots' better. I think this map is pretty telling, he is simply all over the place.

This ability is fantastic, and ETH would -- love -- his pressing ability. But for us, the key concern is if a CM can move in a set pattern, play within the team's structure, constantly be aware of what his teammates are doing, take the position of someone that rotates with him, etc etc etc. His long range passing is good, he is great at moving the ball from one side to the other when someone is open. But its regarding those "structured" aspects that I am the most concerned.

The big reason for why I would not want him to go on loan next season is because in the areas he needs the most development, he will get nothing playing in the Championship.
Great post!

They have different profiles and in some ways they have very similar attributes but Hannibal is playing/developing like how I had hoped/expected Pereira to (before the stage to becoming a potential first teamer).

Good set pieces, hard working, skillful, technical, silky, press resistant and sort of not really excelling in one area, who's suited in the hustle of the middle of pitch.

Agreed on the last point. If he keeps this up, he should be a serious contender as a squad option for us next season, getting to learn under ETH and from Casemiro/Eriksen/Bruno in training/in game situations.

kidbob

Great post!

They have different profiles and in some ways they have very similar attributes but Hannibal is playing/developing like how I had hoped/expected Pereira to (before the stage to becoming a potential first teamer).

Good set pieces, hard working, skillful, technical, silky, press resistant and sort of not really excelling in one area, who's suited in the hustle of the middle of pitch.

Agreed on the last point. If he keeps this up, he should be a serious contender as a squad option for us next season, getting to learn under ETH and from Casemiro/Eriksen/Bruno in training/in game situations.
After watching both at youth level I think Hannibal is the bigger talent than Pereira was. Although now Andreas is showing a great level at high flying Fulham. I think Hannibal and Diallo have the talent to become 1st team starters, both made youth level look like a joke, the way Mason did. Have to laugh at those doubting his play making and passing. That is in many ways Hannibal's biggest strength. He'll get to show it in a better team.

Adnan

Talent Spotter

Excellent post.

His short passing imo would improve further under a more dominant playstyle on the ball, where zones/spaces are occupied by team mates, who would in-turn provide extra pass and combination play potential.

I think the way things are going, I foresee Hannibal being a replacement for Donny Van de Beek. I think the relentless pressing along with the ability to dribble/carry the ball whilst having the poise to find the pass with either foot is quite unique from the central midfield options we currently have. I think he has the profile to develop into a player who has the ability to drop into the middle third and on the half turn progress the play via his ability to dribble/ carry the ball into the final third. I just hope he develops a knack for scoring goals because I think he has the potential to assist goals at a good level.

I also think he has the potential play as a deeper roaming playmaker. But I think he'll be a back up to Bruno Fernandes at first.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
You can put Barca's Pedri in that Birmingham team and it would effect his pass completion percentage because winning physical duels and transitioning play quickly towards the final third is the aim. There is no build up play from the first phase.

In the game yesterday Hannibal played as the most advanced midfielder and Birmingham overloaded the middle phase which allowed them to win their share of ground and aerial duels and hence Hannibal had a pass completion of 81%, which is very good for a attacking mid occupying the spaces between the middle and final thirds. If Birmingham lose the battle in the middle third, then that will have a direct impact on how much space the likes of Hannibal will have on the ball which will impact his pass completion rate due to being isolated on the ball with a lack of passing options. So it's important he also shows a high work rate to contribute to the closing down/presing. And imo, his pressing is a big part of Birmingham's fast transition strategy.

@Adnan @Messier1994
Great points

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
Great development for him, I am not worried about their style of play that much he has to make the most of it and will learn to play under immense pressure too, having to run a lot off the ball and try to stay creative with limited options.

Strangely I think he could get a chance now with Case off and McTominay injured, we will see the situation in the summer when we try to get the overrated De Jong again and might be flooded with midfield options.

Hopefully we sell McTominay who has some values and is absolutely useless as a no6 and just merely better as a no8 where we have much better players. And Hannibal will be developed into a combative no6, he's got great attributes for that role (and not just that) but we're at the stage to decide for him which way he goes I think and quality no6 are quite rare.

Iqbal for me is a bit too lightweight for me there for the prem, could get more fun in Spain

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Forgot to mention in my earlier posts about the change of shape/formation from Birmingham City in the last game which saw them use a 442 diamond with Chong and Bacuna occupying the half spaces/wide spaces, Bielik DM and Hannibal playing as the AM/#10.