Hannibal Mejbri | Birmingham Loan Watch

avgp_1

When i made this comment a month or so ago about him sometimes being sometimes "more of a liability" a few posters here gave me pelters.

Since then he's been sent off in one live on Sky game for Birmingham, was generously not given a second yellow when he should have been in another televised Birmingham game, and now he's almost given away a penalty within minutes of coming on in the WC.

I think my comment has been pretty vindicated.
Hasn't seen a Red Card. And he has not conceded a penalty.

So No

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Almost got sent off
Almost conceded a pen

All in the matter of the same season :mad:

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
When i made this comment a month or so ago about him sometimes being sometimes "more of a liability" a few posters here gave me pelters.

Since then he's been sent off in one live on Sky game for Birmingham, was generously not given a second yellow when he should have been in another televised Birmingham game, and now he's almost given away a penalty within minutes of coming on in the WC.

Patting yourself on the back and getting stuff wrong. Brilliant :lol:

Remember the geese

Stop telling lies! How's that for vindication?

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

Posts like this sum up the caf lately.

Posters make a silly statement then wait until the moment they can scream LOOK IM RIGHT, how amazing am I!

It wasn't even close to being a penalty, he was tidy and worked hard all game. The kid is 19 ffs

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Was never a penalty, so don't get how he 'nearly have away a pen'?! :lol:

Worked hard for ten minutes or so, didn't really have much a chance to make an impact.

Gandalf

Lying so maliciously about a player makes your motives seem extremely suspect.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff

So, he...
  • hadn't been sent off
  • hadn't been sent off
  • didn't concede a penalty
Pretty vindicated indeed.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Almost got an assist after dribbling through the centre and playing a perfectly weighted through ball to Chong who dinks it over the keeper but it comes off the post.

SinNombre

He is pretty much the almost man as per the comments here.

Almost got sent off, almost conceded a penalty, and now an almost assist.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Got the highest match rating in the Birmingham Mail of 8. He played very well and overshadowed his Arsenal counterpart (Charlie Patino) who struggled in the game.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sp...layer-ratings-vs-25721471#amp-readmore-target

It looked like Birmingham setup in a 442 shape due to the striker Scott Hogan not playing the game. And Hannibal played in a 2 man midfield next to the more positionally disciplined Bielik and played very well away from home with the rain coming down.

Messier1994

The Swedish Rumble
He is immensely talented. His defensive stats in the championship is excellent. Often he is the one carrying Birgmingham’s play, making sure they get up field and create offense.

But this is surely what he needs to work on to be accepted at CM by ETH:

He delivers good passes, he passing technique is great. His vision is really good. Takes corners and free kicks. But when you play an extreme whirlwind style all the time, many passes won’t find its target. Definitely must settle down a little bit and learn to pick his moments more.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
He is immensely talented. His defensive stats in the championship is excellent. Often he is the one carrying Birgmingham’s play, making sure they get up field and create offense.

But this is surely what he needs to work on to be accepted at CM by ETH:

He delivers good passes, he passing technique is great. His vision is really good. Takes corners and free kicks. But when you play an extreme whirlwind style all the time, many passes won’t find its target. Definitely must settle down a little bit and learn to pick his moments more.
I think those stats would look very different if he was playing for a team who looked to build play from the back rather than get it forward quickly. And Birmingham's aim is to get the ball forward into the final third with a minimal amount of passes, which means the action zone (final third) is convoluted.

I watched the game live earlier and I think we have to judge him within the context of the playstyle put forth by the manager and the technical quality of his team mates.

But even though the playstyle itself is helter-skelter, it's a playstyle that looks to dominate the opponent by getting the ball forward quickly and then if needs require, to then apply coordinated pressure with high intensity. And playing with high intensity in a proactive manner is absolute required to play for a head coach like ten Hag.

Messier1994

The Swedish Rumble
I think those stats would look very different if he was playing for a team who looked to build play from the back rather than get it forward quickly. And Birmingham's aim is to get the ball forward into the final third with a minimal amount of passes, which means the action zone (final third) is convoluted.

I watched the game live earlier and I think we have to judge him within the context of the playstyle put forth by the manager and the technical quality of his team mates.

But even though the playstyle itself is helter-skelter, it's a playstyle that looks to dominate the opponent by getting the ball forward quickly and then if needs require, to then apply coordinated pressure with high intensity. And playing with high intensity in a proactive manner is absolute required to play for a head coach like ten Hag.
I agree, would definitely not draw too big conclusions from those stats. But I do think picking his spots better is something he got to work with.

His play without the ball will be really appreciated by ETH.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Deeney within the first minute.

Weird vibe around the game. Covid restrictions? Empty stadium. Only Jude Bellingham in the crowd it seems.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Subbed off at 75 minutes after another good showing in midfield with Birmingham 3-0 up.

Birmingham went 1-0 up after a minute and sat back and played counter attacking football. Hannibal did get a assist which was quite fortunate and he could've had another assist when he showed fantastic acceleration down the left to set Chong up, but Chong couldn't find the finish from a acute angle. There were other moments in the game where Hannibal showed his IQ and awareness when he dummied a pass which found Deeney on the edge of the box but his shot went narrowly wide.

I think there's much more to come from Hannibal and I'm not surprised John Eustace took him off at 75 minutes with the game seemingly won, due to Hannibal being a key cog in the team.

Messier1994

The Swedish Rumble
@Adnan I agree, Mejbri definitely have world class potential.

This is not an easy game in any way shape or form. Reading is really physical. 5 man MF. Stone hard pitch and degrees below freezing.

Nobody worked harder than Mejbri. He didn’t dominate possession like he has done at times, but he made himself very useful and was a big factor in a really tough game. Great to see.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
@Adnan I agree, Mejbri definitely have world class potential.

This is not an easy game in any way shape or form. Reading is really physical. 5 man MF. Stone hard pitch and degrees below freezing.

Nobody worked harder than Mejbri. He didn’t dominate possession like he has done at times, but he made himself very useful and was a big factor in a really tough game. Great to see.
He's playing for a team that averages less possession than every other team in the Championship, mate. So I don't really expect him to dominate with the ball, but I would rather he takes more risks with it due to the approach in question. Which will mean he will give the ball away at times, but he will create openings or chances which Chong has wasted in the last few games.

And I completely agree about the physicality of Reading. Most of their players looked physically and athletically gifted, which is again another test for Hannibal, which he's passing with flying colours. He even showed a turn of speed in the second half to set Chong up, which Chong should've taken with his right foot but he decided to shoot his stronger left foot and never looked like scoring.