Hannibal Mejbri - Manchester United Player

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I think even aside from Ravel, he doesn’t have the footwork of a Pogba in the academy from what I’ve seen. He looks lightyears ahead of his peers in vision, technique and reading of the game - but not the raw individual genius that Pogba or Ravel had. He just seems a different type of midfielder. Like Cesc was an exceptional young midfielder, but not a Pogba individual type of talent. It is because of this that I don’t see, so far, Mejbri’s best role as a 10. My personal preference in that role is for more maverick type of players. There are a lot of technical 8s that people try to push to the 10 but I don’t think it comes naturally. Like Scholes isn’t a 10 to me, and Bruno doesn’t look like one either.
Pogba wasn't anything special as far as dribbling goes imho at the same age. Mejbri is more mobile and technically more proficient as far as close control goes in comparison. Pogba had superior shooting ability and used his long strides to good effect but apart from that Mejbri is showing just as much potential and a even higher level of technical ability in close quarters at the same age.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
@Rozay

I agree he should be played slightly deeper because he's a player in the classic player-maker mould that has the ability to dictate the tempo of the game.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Pogba wasn't anything special as far as dribbling goes imho at the same age. Mejbri is more mobile and technically more proficient as far as close control goes in comparison. Pogba had superior shooting ability and used his long strides to good effect but apart from that Mejbri is showing just as much potential and a even higher level of technical ability in close quarters at the same age.
Pogba certainly wasn’t a tricky #10 type, but his footwork was already exceptional. I remember a few goals he scored, one in particular, where he shuffles and twists and turns a couple inside out before bending it into the top corner. He was no Iniesta - he was more compared to the likes of Vieira, but his footwork was a standout quality, just as it was immediately as soon as he got to Juve a year later. Clips of his tricks and touches were quickly spreading.

Mejbri looks a bit more like Saúl to me. Or a better version of Pereira when he was in the academy. I never thought Pereira looked ‘genius’ enough to be a 10, but the obvious thing to do was to play our Beldian/Brazilian midfielder with a combover and pink boots as a 10. I said on here at the time that I think his game looked better deeper, he didn’t have the dribbling or the speed/acceleration for the 10.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
@Rozay

I agree he should be played slightly deeper because he's a player in the classic player-maker mould that has the ability to dictate the tempo of the game.
Yea, he looks a perfect 8.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Pogba certainly wasn’t a tricky #10 type, but his footwork was already exceptional. I remember a few goals he scored, one in particular, where he shuffles and twists and turns a couple inside out before bending it into the top corner. He was no Iniesta - he was more compared to the likes of Vieira, but his footwork was a standout quality, just as it was immediately as soon as he got to Juve a year later. Clips of his tricks and touches were quickly spreading.

Mejbri looks a bit more like Saúl to me. Or a better version of Pereira when he was in the academy. I never thought Pereira looked ‘genius’ enough to be a 10, but the obvious thing to do was to play our Beldian/Brazilian midfielder with a combover and pink boots as a 10. I said on here at the time that I think his game looked better deeper, he didn’t have the dribbling or the speed/acceleration for the 10.
Pogba did have good footwork no question about that.

Personally I'd be very dissapointed if Mejbri doesn't comfortably eclipse the ability Saul has shown far for Atleti. Mejbri for me has far superior potential on the ball and opens/sees angles and passing lanes that a player like Saul just doesn't. Hopefully he doesn't let me down because I have high hope for him.

khoazany

Mejbri is a hybrid 8/10. If we sign Bellingham for example both of them can play together in midfield with a McTominay or Garner behind.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
His dribbling looks very good from a technical level. The amount of times he wriggles free in tight spaces and actually beats his man with the ball completely under his spell is very impressive. Ravel Morrison was probably the only one who was slightly better in tight spaces but I did see alot more of Ravel at youth level in comparison.

But imo Mejbri's dribbling is brilliant.
Ravel was amazing. He was like an attack dog set off leash and hounding opposition relentlessly. Ravel was a fighter, his football was like watching a top-class boxer, whereas Pogba et al (and Mejbri) feel like watching a ballet dancer. Not saying it in a negative manner, just - very different. These other players have technique, and finesse and talent, but Ravel had the kind of drive that instills total terror in the opposition.

It's an absolute shame that Ravel didn't become a world-class player. He could have been new Roy Keane

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Ravel was amazing. He was like an attack dog set off leash and hounding opposition relentlessly. Ravel was a fighter, his football was like watching a top-class boxer, whereas Pogba et al (and Mejbri) feel like watching a ballet dancer. Not saying it in a negative manner, just - very different. These other players have technique, and finesse and talent, but Ravel had the kind of drive that instills total terror in the opposition.

It's an absolute shame that Ravel didn't become a world-class player. He could have been new Roy Keane
Like Roy Keane? Really?

Utdstar01

Not at all. Not alike in any way.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name

Ravel could do things with the ball that Roy couldn't do even in his wildest imagination, he was Paul Gascoigne like in that with a minimum of effort he could make even the most talented midfielders look like muppets.

Bondi77

Ravel could do things with the ball that Roy couldn't do even in his wildest imagination, he was Paul Gascoigne like in that with a minimum of effort he could make even the most talented midfielders look like muppets.
I think this is the more appropriate comparison, Gazza was a genius and did have a good career but it could have been a magical one.

Mark Pawelek

He [Ravel] had the talent, and he had the physical abilities. Obviously he fecked it all up.
Keane's other great attribute was mentality - no one beats me. Hannibal looks like he might have that. Combine it with skill, fitness, and vision you get a worldie. I hated writing that because I think I've jinxed him now.

Class of 63

Sourness
I think this is the more appropriate comparison, Gazza was a genius and did have a good career but it could have been a magical one.
Gazza would have given himself more chance of having the career his talented deserved if he'd come to United, or gone to Liverpool rather than going to the bright-lights in London, but then saying that he could have picked up a career ending injury during his first training session in the NW and not give us the memories he did.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
That's fair. I compared him to Roy because they both had this "blood-in-the-eyes" mentality of tearing opposition apart. Many talented kids can turn tricks, not many have the tenacity of a winner - is what I was trying to say. But Gascoigne makes sense.

Class of 63

Sourness
That's fair. I compared him to Roy because they both had this "blood-in-the-eyes" mentality of tearing opposition apart. Many talented kids can turn tricks, not many have the tenacity of a winner - is what I was trying to say. But Gascoigne makes sense.
Oh he was a bad loser and he wasn't afraid to leave a foot in, so in that sense I get the comparison, but his manipulation of a football was different gravy.

Bondi77

Gazza would have given himself more chance of having the career his talented deserved if he'd come to United, or gone to Liverpool rather than going to the bright-lights in London, but then saying that he could have picked up a career ending injury during his first training session in the NW and not give us the memories he did.
He was really good at Spurs though but he totally lost it in the FA Cup Final and probably should have been sent off with some ridiculous challenges.
I think he went to Italy way too early in his career and had the injury problems early on which did not help.
He was superb at Rangers and he had his moments for England but I suppose whatever his experiences were early in his life made him the man he is today and that was a flawed genius who was just so unpredictable.

Reactions: Invictus

Class of 63

Sourness
He was really good at Spurs though but he totally lost it in the FA Cup Final and probably should have been sent off with some ridiculous challenges.
I think he went to Italy way too early in his career and had the injury problems early on which did not help.
He was superb at Rangers and he had his moments for England but I suppose whatever his experiences were early in his life made him the man he is today and that was a flawed genius who was just so unpredictable.
Not the thread to continue this but Terry Venables let him down badly that day.

Runaway Sue

Cherki, Reyna, Camavinga, Reinier, Ansu Fati, Gravenberch, Xavi Simons to name a few.
Whether they will all end up better players obviously remains to be seen.
How many times have you watched each of them? Do you work as a scout or something? Serious question.

JoeyJoJoJrShabadoo

It's interesting we have been playing him in the number 6 role to try and have him work on his defending, but you can tell he will be an 8 or 10 down the line. Genuinely hope he can keep a decent attitude about him

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
It's interesting we have been playing him in the number 6 role to try and have him work on his defending, but you can tell he will be an 8 or 10 down the line. Genuinely hope he can keep a decent attitude about him
I haven’t noticed us playing him as a 6.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Literally every sub appearance hes been playing deep :lol:
Not sure where the joke is.

Perhaps I’ll pay more attention. Typically, when he starts games, he plays as a 10, certainty for the U18s, and tends to wear that number on his shirt a bit too.

mav_9me

Perhaps I’ll pay more attention. Typically, when he starts games, he plays as a 10, certainty for the U18s, and tends to wear that number on his shirt a bit too.
Yeah I have never seen him at 6. Maybe I have just missed it. I haven't seen his last few games.

In Rainbows

Pereira also didn't have the vision of players like Mejbri, Gomes, or Januzaj. His instinct was always to shoot first when around the box.

JoeyJoJoJrShabadoo

One of the things I like about Neil Wood is he is intentionally playing a few of the lads out of position to work on deficiencies. Puigmal at RB stands out because hes not particularly fast and has been quite lazy tracking back when playing RW or in the centre, so it's done him the world of good playing as a full back and the results have been surprisingly good. I reckon is work rate is improving. Toure playing on the wing etc. Has also been noticeable because we are encouraging his attacking talents more and the free role has massively increased his confidence. At one point I was worried Toure was going to wash out. Now I am starting to believe in him again. He has really struggled to unseat Garner, Levitt and Galbraith in the centre, as they are all more consistent, but if any get promoted full time you feel Toure can definitely slot in.

When Wood has brought Mejbri off the bench for the U23s he has had him play 6 a lot. Forcing him to try and come deep, collect and stay on the ball and break opposition attacks. He already seems somewhat intelligent in his play going forward but a little more defensive nous and he could be a serious worldie

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

Yeah that's what I saw too, usually starts as 10 and then drops deeper but not as a 6, more like 8/10.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
One of the things I like about Neil Wood is he is intentionally playing a few of the lads out of position to work on deficiencies. Puigmal at RB stands out because hes not particularly fast and has been quite lazy tracking back when playing RW or in the centre, so it's done him the world of good playing as a full back and the results have been surprisingly good. I reckon is work rate is improving. Toure playing on the wing etc. Has also been noticeable because we are encouraging his attacking talents more and the free role has massively increased his confidence. At one point I was worried Toure was going to wash out. Now I am starting to believe in him again. He has really struggled to unseat Garner, Levitt and Galbraith in the centre, as they are all more consistent, but if any get promoted full time you feel Toure can definitely slot in.

When Wood has brought Mejbri off the bench for the U23s he has had him play 6 a lot. Forcing him to try and come deep, collect and stay on the ball and break opposition attacks. He already seems somewhat intelligent in his play going forward but a little more defensive nous and he could be a serious worldie
It’s a fine line. Lee O’Connor, for example, was expected to develop into a top RB despite never being allowed to play there. Sometimes, I would just prefer to see some young talent developed in their best role.

Like Mason Greenwood, I think, can become a top 9 in future. I understand that this is often how the apprenticeship goes, but the timing needs to be right to switch him back to CF or he will miss his window.

Of course, Mejbri isn’t at that crossroad yet.

JoeyJoJoJrShabadoo

It’s a fine line. Lee O’Connor, for example, was expected to develop into a top RB despite never being allowed to play there. Sometimes, I would just prefer to see some young talent developed in their best role.

Like Mason Greenwood, I think, can become a top 9 in future. I understand that this is often how the apprenticeship goes, but the timing needs to be right to switch him back to CF or he will miss his window.

Of course, Mejbri isn’t at that crossroad yet.
I was a fan of O'Connor too but Laird was a much, much better prospect as a RB. Shame hes injury prone. I knew there was no way O'Connor had long term career opportunities as a CB, but he filled in all across the back line and always looked solid. Its crazy that he can't even get game time at Celtic and is now away out on loan.

I don't think Mason will miss out. I think he is very comfortable cutting in from the right and naturally drifts that way, we saw it so often in the U18s. I personally hope he is the one to replace Martial in the middle, but the club is kind of married to him with that ridiculous contract. Mason may only get to partner him at CF if we play diamond or 5 at the back. We may see him on the right more often than not until we manage to get someone in who can play there full time.

I'm confident in Mejbri but if he doesn't see a path to the first team he won't be here long. Sadly that is the way of it

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I was a fan of O'Connor too but Laird was a much, much better prospect as a RB. Shame hes injury prone. I knew there was no way O'Connor had long term career opportunities as a CB, but he filled in all across the back line and always looked solid. Its crazy that he can't even get game time at Celtic and is now away out on loan.

I don't think Mason will miss out. I think he is very comfortable cutting in from the right and naturally drifts that way, we saw it so often in the U18s. I personally hope he is the one to replace Martial in the middle, but the club is kind of married to him with that ridiculous contract. Mason may only get to partner him at CF if we play diamond or 5 at the back. We may see him on the right more often than not until we manage to get someone in who can play there full time.

I'm confident in Mejbri but if he doesn't see a path to the first team he won't be here long. Sadly that is the way of it
Laird is better indeed, but there have been times that O’Connor could have gotten a chance over the last 18 months at RB. But then why would you go down to the reserves when you need a RB to pick someone who’s been playing centre half all season? Same with Puigmal. You may say we’ve ‘helped his game’ by playing him at RB, but those who have actually been playing in midfield like Levitt and Garner have gotten opportunity there before him.

Regarding Martial - I agree that Mason would ideally be a natural successor, but I don’t see his contract as a massive inconvenience at all. I think people have gone way overboard with him of late, and he’s still a very good player. People have been speaking as if he’s Lingard or whatever lately.

JoeyJoJoJrShabadoo

Laird is better indeed, but there have been times that O’Connor could have gotten a chance over the last 18 months at RB. But then why would you go down to the reserves when you need a RB to pick someone who’s been playing centre half all season? Same with Puigmal. You may say we’ve ‘helped his game’ by playing him at RB, but those who have actually been playing in midfield like Levitt and Garner have gotten opportunity there before him.

Regarding Martial - I agree that Mason would ideally be a natural successor, but I don’t see his contract as a massive inconvenience at all. I think people have gone way overboard with him of late, and he’s still a very good player. People have been speaking as if he’s Lingard or whatever lately.
For my money Puigmal may not have the physicals for the Prem. I believe he would end up having an epic career in La Liga, but we definitely need to find more from him if he is to succeed here. I think he is unlucky as he is behind Garner and Levitt at CM but both lads have been fantastic this year when fit. The reason why I'm liking seeing him cover at RB as its forcing him to understand the defensive side of the game. We already know he has a wonderful dead ball ability. Free kicks and corners etc. He has had some good games for us at RW also but I'm not sure it's his long term position. Hes one of our youth team who one week I am excited about the next week completely perplexed about. Happy to be proven wrong though!

My comment about Martial was because it will eventually be an albatross. I hope he comes good here and the contract ends up being good value. I agree he is getting the short end of the stick a lot lately, but in no way is he in the Lingard category. A few goals here and there and I imagine it will be 180s all round.

Reactions: KM

Pearson

This kid has been talked about too much. He is still just a kid, an unpolished jade. Let us cool down a bit and witness his evolution without making too much noise around him.

JoeyJoJoJrShabadoo

This kid has been talked about too much. He is still just a kid, an unpolished jade. Let us cool down a bit and witness his evolution without making too much noise around him.
I'll continue to talk about him as objectively as I desire, in the topic designated for him, thanks.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I'll continue to talk about him as objectively as I desire, in the topic designated for him, thanks.
Well said, people always pull out that tired line. It's dumb, if we've got an exceptionally talented lad on our hands then we'll discuss him, simple as.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Well said, people always pull out that tired line. It's dumb, if we've got an exceptionally talented lad on our hands then we'll discuss him, simple as.
Also one of the very few threads which brings some joy to ManUtd fans.

JoeyJoJoJrShabadoo

We might nit pick about players but in general it's hard not to be incredibly proud of how the Youth teams have performed in the last couple of years. The crop of U18s who are now up in the U23s fills me with so much confidence going forward. 3 years ago there were only 2 or 3 lads to be excited about. Now we have at least 1 in every area who looks like he has something! Mejbri absolutely is one of them!

Son

This is true. Then misery when he refuses to sign his contract a few years down the line.

All jokes aside I hope he goes on and becomes a starter for us. Top midfielders are a rarity as we have found out in the post-Fergie years.

It’s sad when we look at a talent like Gomes seemingly ready to walk out for peanuts though. I’m always nervous about that now with any top youth prospect.