Hannibal Mejbri - Manchester United Player

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Was my initial impression of him last season, but that was quickly corrected the more I watched. He has what it takes, I’m certain of it. Injury permitting, he’ll get to the first team.
To be fair, he didn't look amazing in the U18s, oddly enough it was only after he got promoted to the U23s he started showing some real class. In my opinion, anyway.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Say Mejbri comes in and becomes undroppable- I know it's not going to happen - where does he play for us in the first team? CAM, CM or CDM? I've not seen him.
Pogba back up or Fernandes back up. Personally I want to see him deployed in a double pivot with a more defensive minded partner if we do carry on with the 4-2-3-1 system.

He has the ability on the ball but equally he is also showing excellent potential off the ball which is very very important for a coach who wants to implement a high pressure game which I believe Solskjaer is working towards.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Pogba back up or Fernandes back up. Personally I want to see him deployed in a double pivot with a more defensive minded partner if we do carry on with the 4-2-3-1 system.

He has the ability on the ball but equally he is also showing excellent potential off the ball which is very very important for a coach who wants to implement a high pressure game which I believe Solskjaer is working towards.
I was saying a few posts ago i wonder will he get his debut on the wings like fletcher and gomes?

he’s going to be a brilliant player.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I was saying a few posts ago i wonder will he get his debut on the wings like fletcher and gomes?

he’s going to be a brilliant player.
I honestly wouldn't be surprised if he's given a run out as a wide midfielder similar to how Fletcher and Gomes were introduced. So you could be right..

mav_9me

It isn't, I don't think it's even particularly close either. Greenwood, for the U18s, was so much better than anyone else on the pitch it was frightening.

I know everyone's desperate to find another Greenwood or someone even better than him, but the truth is players like him don't come around very often. Mejbri looks a good talent, no question about it, but I'd be staggered if he ended up a better player than Greenwood.
This is a classic case of fans judging Greenwood based on his first team appearances. Where, he has shown probably 40% of his ability I would say.

Once he settles in which he is doing so and feels part of the team, he will improve and we will see the Greenwood that tore the unders apart. He is a talent that comes by rarely.
This is probably for another thread but I am very curious.. what aspects of Greenwood's game has he not yet shown in the first team? I love the thought that there might be more facets to his game besides the ones that he has shown already
I dont think we have seen the best of his link up play yet and his vision. People think he is only a finisher but he has great ball control, we started to see it at the end a little taking a long ball on his chest, and small bits of great control and composure.

The more he grows into the team, the better he will be.
Couldnt agree more with @AltiUn and @romufc

There is way more to his game than finishing. If his finishing is 9-9.5/10, everything else is 8/10. There is just more to his game. More touches, more simple but penetrative passes, more involved in the game. Almost like what Rashford is trying to do. In due course I think Greenwood will show similar.

mav_9me

It isn't, I don't think it's even particularly close either. Greenwood, for the U18s, was so much better than anyone else on the pitch it was frightening.

I know everyone's desperate to find another Greenwood or someone even better than him, but the truth is players like him don't come around very often. Mejbri looks a good talent, no question about it, but I'd be staggered if he ended up a better player than Greenwood.
This feels weird after what I said above, but I wouldn't be surprised if Mejbri is as good. Now odds are it won't happen that we will have 2 world class talents in our first team like that but when I see Mejbri its just so obvious. Kinda like Greenwood. But what do I know, I have been taken in by these super smooth operators before and my predictions have been horrendously wrong.

Ekeke

For me the exciting part about Mejbri is that he he's that fusion of yes technical skill and ability to do some nice stuff, but he also has the mentality to get stuck in, be determined to win the ball and press opponents. The kind of thing that made Tevez a quality player and so many others

Yagami

Good post resistant
For me the exciting part about Mejbri is that he he's that fusion of yes technical skill and ability to do some nice stuff, but he also has the mentality to get stuck in, be determined to win the ball and press opponents. The kind of thing that made Tevez a quality player and so many others
That and he doesn't shy away. He routinely gets fouled in pretty much every game - some quite nasty - and he still always wants the ball, still gets stuck in himself, still carries the ball. He never hides.

jackal&hyde

There's a good interview with Neil Wood in the Athletic and he does a great job at calming things down with young Mejbri; very talented but has some way to go still; it's not the time to think about first team football.

MPTutd

That and he doesn't shy away. He routinely gets fouled in pretty much every game - some quite nasty - and he still always wants the ball, still gets stuck in himself, still carries the ball. He never hides.
Completely agree. That is why he will enjoy the PL, where the opposition can't get away with that stuff.

Oldyella

Gaddafi named one of his sons 'Hannibal'. And, obviously, Hannibal Buress is probably the most famous living example right now.
And he has joked about how his name can be awkward when on dates.

Sure Hannibal Buress has the same problem too..

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Conveniently left out the part where he lost possession and proceeded to stand there whining while they went and scored. He was dreadful again in the first half.

Was a bit better in the second when it was 10v10 but it’s hardly impressive when you’ve got way more space and the other team is so far ahead they’ve completely stopped pressing with any intensity.

He’s ridiculously overrated by people who never actually watch him and by shit like MEN who last season would post his stats over and over again despite not playing any new matches and them being over only 3 appearances.

The constant calls for him to be in the first team are miles off the mark and don’t even get started on claiming he is better than Greenwood. He’s nowhere near that level yet.

klayton88

Not watched the video but does it show him giving the ball away for the second goal? Not having a go, he's head and shoulders above anyone except maybe Mengi at u23 level. Or is it a video designe to make him look flawless?

klayton88

Conveniently left out the part where he lost possession and proceeded to stand there whining while they went and scored. He was dreadful again in the first half.

Was a bit better in the second when it was 10v10 but it’s hardly impressive when you’ve got way more space and the other team is so far ahead they’ve completely stopped pressing with any intensity.

He’s ridiculously overrated by people who never actually watch him and by shit like MEN who last season would post his stats over and over again despite not playing any new matches and them being over only 3 appearances.

The constant calls for him to be in the first team are miles off the mark and don’t even get started on claiming he is better than Greenwood. He’s nowhere near that level yet.
Beat me to it!

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Wasn't his best game but still made 3 goal contributions whilst not at his best.

elnorte

Freaky fly day

So in other words you don't think he's going to make it? Another Januzaj? A Perriera? A Macheda?

USREDEVIL

Damn he looks good. Great use of his body to keep the ball, good passing, aggressive. This wasn't against a premiership side but the skill is clear.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Not watched the video but does it show him giving the ball away for the second goal? Not having a go, he's head and shoulders above anyone except maybe Mengi at u23 level. Or is it a video designe to make him look flawless?
That's one problem I have with these individual highlight videos.

I think Mejbri is going to be a star, but his flaws shouldn't be swept under the carpet, and this video doesn't paint the whole picture of his performance.

Faetheshire86

Think some of the criticism is harsh. Only seen the first half last night and yes his reaction to the mistake was poor. But I think his ability is unquestionable. He carries the ball so well, is good with his back to goal, great vision and passing, can score, has shown a bit of bite and tenacity.

Great name, great hair, what more do you want from a 17 year old midfielder?

Ace of Spades

He is still far from ready, needs to be mature mentally. There will be many frustrating games for him, can't lose his head like he did in the first half.

HJ12

Think some of the criticism is harsh. Only seen the first half last night and yes his reaction to the mistake was poor. But I think his ability is unquestionable. He carries the ball so well, is good with his back to goal, great vision and passing, can score, has shown a bit of bite and tenacity.

Great name, great hair, what more do you want from a 17 year old midfielder?
Good comment. He's meant to make mistakes, being 17 and still learning. Some of the hype around him is over the top at times, but so is some of the criticism.

Mickson

I'm actually convinced MEN has never seen him play. Dross journalism. I quite agree with you, he's very talented but those who are screaming "into the first team!!!" has never seen him on the pitch. He's not ready.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
His talent is undeniable, he looked the best player in the pitch again.

Yes he likes to hold onto the ball and sometimes wants too much time but he is always creative, always dangerous. Once he irons out the little flaws he's going to be 1 hell of a player.

Honestly he's the type that would be better in the first team surroundings sooner rather than later, he will grow to that level quickly and the mentality of being around the men will help him IMO.

He's obviously passionate and a bit hot headed but that's because he's desperate to win - a great characteristic to have.

Mickson

His talent is undeniable, he looked the best player in the pitch again.

Yes he likes to hold onto the ball and sometimes wants too much time but he is always creative, always dangerous. Once he irons out the little flaws he's going to be 1 hell of a player.

Honestly he's the type that would be better in the first team surroundings sooner rather than later, he will grow to that level quickly and the mentality of being around the men will help him IMO.

He's obviously passionate and a bit hot headed but that's because he's desperate to win - a great characteristic to have.
I think you're right about that. Yes, our U23 is better coached than our U18, but you can see the difference. Last season, he only started one game and made 3 sub appearances but still assisted to 3 goals (the same amount of assist he had in 14 starts for U18). This season, he has 2 goals and 3 assist in 3 games. That is a fantastic achievement for a midfielder.

Drainy

What was the score last night? I saw it was 4-1 at some point to Liverpool.
5-3 to Liverpool but it could have been more one sided towards Liverpool if they had been that bothered. They had the beating of us from the start, just a more mature and developed team at that level.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
I'm actually convinced MEN has never seen him play. Dross journalism. I quite agree with you, he's very talented but those who are screaming "into the first team!!!" has never seen him on the pitch. He's not ready.
Just underlined what the coach has said. He needs to work on all aspects of his game. The talent is there but constant application is needed.
He’ll get there I’m sure but give him time