Hannibal Mejbri - Manchester United Player

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
So sad. I've been lucky enough to see a good number in my time (my mum is Zimbabwean) and they're quite something.
Yes Zim has sustainable populations as does Botswana and Namibia. Been lucky enough to have visited both places and see them in the wild. The babies give a new meaning to ‘cute.’

Pickle85

Yes Zim has sustainable populations as does Botswana and Namibia. Been lucky enough to have visited both places and see them in the wild. The babies give a new meaning to ‘cute.’
Agree! And the weird gurgling noises they make is adorable. Botswana and Namibia have both been on my 'must visit' lists for ages. Think I'd need a decent wedge squirreled away to do them properly, though!

NickyT

Some people just look for racism everywhere. Why's it my job to read their mind before I say something?

It obviously was not a racist post. It was an ironic comment on history.
How silly is this comment, who are 'some people' and no one is telling you to read anyone's mind. You don't have to read people's minds to know some things may offend people. Also, how can it be soo obvious if I misperceived it in the first place?

he obviously thought he was just saying he’s riding an elephant because he’s african, and didn’t know about the link of the famous hannibal and elephants.

I can see how he’s jumped to that conclusion if he doesn’t know the history.
In a nutshell yh

I just don't get why 'some people' are soo dismissive when someone points out something could be potentially just 'boredline' racist, it really does speak volumes

Conor

How silly is this comment, who are 'some people' and no one is telling you to read anyone's mind. You don't have to read people's minds to know some things may offend people. Also, how can it be soo obvious if I misperceived it in the first place?

In a nutshell yh

I just don't get why 'some people' are soo dismissive when someone points out something could be potentially just 'boredline' racist, it really does speak volumes
You just haven't gotten a reference, acknowledge your incorrect assumption and move on. This whole turning it on others makes no sense, you misunderstood a post, leave it at that?

Mark Pawelek

In a nutshell yh

You may be one of them. How is my post silly? It seems to me you're agreeing with me.

You offend me. I offend you. The difference is I don't want to ban you. You want to ban me.

I started a thread here to discuss elephants and not giving offence. Please take it there if you want to continue it.

Last edited:

lysglimt

Scout
I wonder if the original elephant-Hannibal had an influence on our Hannibals name. Carthage is in modern day Tunisia so it's not that farfetched.

Jibbs

The guy should be sent out on loan and at some place where he will get regular game time.

pascell

let’s get the ball rolling on that!

Next match for Tunisia is against Equatorial Guinea on Sept 1st. He’ll have a preseason with us under his belt by then. Is ole going to use him enough next season? Hopefully no more U23s either way!
I think he'll get game time for sure next season, he'll more than likely be between the first team and u23s.

He really needs to stop the shouting towards refs when he gets taken down each time, a lot of refs in the PL will soon start getting fed up of it. I think that has held him back from featuring more this past season with the first team, along with his shoulder injury.

The guy should be sent out on loan and at some place where he will get regular game time.
No chance we'd pay that much on him as a youngster, to then put his development in someone else's hands for a season.

He's only 18, it's a lot to ask of a young player to go and play elsewhere for a season, especially when you factor in that he'll have to relocate, settle into his new surroundings, environment, training and coaching methods of his new manager, gel with his new team mates and find his form.

He needs to work on his temperament and I think having him training with the first team, whilst the majority of his gametime next season is for the u23s won't do his development any harm.

Mickson

I think he'll get game time for sure next season, he'll more than likely be between the first team and u23s.

He really needs to stop the shouting towards refs when he gets taken down each time, a lot of refs in the PL will soon start getting fed up of it. I think that has held him back from featuring more this past season with the first team, along with his shoulder injury.

No chance we'd pay that much on him as a youngster, to then put his development in someone else's hands for a season.

He's only 18, it's a lot to ask of a young player to go and play elsewhere for a season, especially when you factor in that he'll have to relocate, settle into his new surroundings, environment, training and coaching methods of his new manager, gel with his new team mates and find his form.

He needs to work on his temperament and I think having him training with the first team, whilst the majority of his gametime next season is for the u23s won't do his development any harm.
I agree that we won't loan him out, but I don't see what his transfer fee has to do with it. We paid almost as much for Pellistri and sent him on loan for example.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
I agree that we won't loan him out, but I don't see what his transfer fee has to do with it. We paid almost as much for Pellistri and sent him on loan for example.
Yeah, this. We paid about 2 million less for Pellistri and he’s about to go out for a second time having barely had any time to adapt to the culture or style of football here. The fee argument doesn’t really hold up anymore tbh. If we want to have a world class academy you need to be signing the hannibals of this world when they become available for 10 million regardless of how far off they are from the first team. Midfield is the hardest position so I can understand if Ole has reservations about just throwing him in. I think he’ll start getting subbed onto the left wing next season and maybe midfield starts in the league cup.

If he’s not playing enough I would be up for sending him on loan for the second half of the season once the league cup early rounds are out of the way. I wouldn’t like to see him going back to U23s just to get kicked around some more, that would be a backwards step and a sure sign we are too cautious when it comes to developing these lads between 18-21. He’s an international player on the rise. I’d send him to Derby with Mengi if Rooney would play him, even just off the bench for starters and let him earn it. I think once he gets up to speed physically he’ll be a certainty to stand out in the championship but hopefully by then he’s getting the Greenwood treatment off our bench instead.

NYAS

There’s a FIFA-organised tournament called the FIFA Arab Cup being played between the 30th of November and the 18th of December this year. It’ll be played between all the Arab national teams, hosted by Qatar as one of the test events for the World Cup.

It’s being taken relatively seriously, so there’s a chance Tunisia will want the lad to be there. Not sure if the likes of Salah, Mahrez, Hakimi will be allowed to go by their clubs, or how much the players will push for it.

If by that point Hannibal is only getting a couple of minutes off the bench every 2 weeks, then I see no reason why we shouldn’t allow him to go and play in this. Let the kid play some football.

Ballache

Supports
Martial
There’s a FIFA-organised tournament called the FIFA Arab Cup being played between the 30th of November and the 18th of December this year. It’ll be played between all the Arab national teams, hosted by Qatar as one of the test events for the World Cup.

It’s being taken relatively seriously, so there’s a chance Tunisia will want the lad to be there. Not sure if the likes of Salah, Mahrez, Hakimi will be allowed to go by their clubs, or how much the players will push for it.

If by that point Hannibal is only getting a couple of minutes off the bench every 2 weeks, then I see no reason why we shouldn’t allow him to go and play in this. Let the kid play some football.
The better nations (North African teams) will mainly rely on local players.
The Arab cup has been going on for a long time, Fifa is organizing this for the first time this year. It's usually not that big of a deal so I don't see the likes of Mahrez and Salah Pushing to play in it. Might be different for Mejbri though.

NYAS

The better nations (North African teams) will mainly rely on local players.
The Arab cup has been going on for a long time, Fifa is organizing this for the first time this year. It's usually not that big of a deal so I don't see the likes of Mahrez and Salah Pushing to play in it. Might be different for Mejbri though.
I know, I’m Arab! The past Arab cups were jokes but this one is being taken more seriously by most countries. As I said, I don’t know if it will be serious enough for the big guns to play in but it would be a good experience for Hannibal.

Ballache

Supports
Martial
I know, I’m Arab! The past Arab cups were jokes but this one is being taken more seriously by most countries. As I said, I don’t know if it will be serious enough for the big guns to play in but it would be a good experience for Hannibal.
I don't think the big teams will call up their best players (I hope not as we have Egypt and Algeria in our group :lol: )
But it would be a great tournament for Hannibal I agree.

Bwuk

I don’t see him going on loan, and I don’t think he’ll of forced his way into the first team by then so would be sensible for him to go if selected.

Nero

Is he injured?
He was still playing for Tunisia on the 15th June, so I guess he's still on a break.

Think everyone in the training pictures so far didn't have international duty this summer (or at least they weren't still playing in the middle of June)

macheda14

There’s also the ACON the month after. Surely we’d only let him go to one, not both.

Marcus

He is such an exciting prospect. I hope he gets game time for us. He is such a Rolls-Royce of a player. Smooth.

mav_9me

I am so excited for him....maybe optimistic but I am hopeful he will get games for the first team.

the_cliff

I don't think the big teams will call up their best players (I hope not as we have Egypt and Algeria in our group :lol: )
But it would be a great tournament for Hannibal I agree.
Being originally Algerian, I know that we are only calling up local players for this as the Afcon is just a couple of months after and that would be of more priority. There are also whispers of Tunisia/Egypt using their u23s as their national teams use mostly local players regardless. Back to the topic I don't see Hannibal getting called up for the Arab cup, I think he's already in the plans for their first team squad for the Afcon. I watched him when we played Tunisia in a friendly last month and he changed the game when he came on, we (Algeria) have a decent team and he did not look out of place at all.

Bertie Wooster

I love watching Hannibal, and I'd love it if he could establish himself in United's first team squad over the next couple of years.

They say, with youngsters, sometimes it's about luck and timing with getting that opportunity. With that in mind, it's been a little frustrating how Hannibal's missed out on some first team opportunities so far in 2021. First he injured his shoulders with the U23's and only returned late on and missed a few first team opportunities when he could have got a bit of game time as others were.

Then, this summer, despite all the first team players missing, he hasn't got many minutes to do what Elanga has achieved due to being one of the few youngsters who played senior internationals over the summer and so arrived back a little late. I was hoping, having got some game time under his belt, he might have got longer in the Preston game - but then it was called off. I can't see him playing much v Everton, so this summer, which was a good opportunity for him, has kind of past him by as regards United. That side, I was delighted to see him feature for Tunisia's senior team.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I love watching Hannibal, and I'd love it if he could establish himself in United's first team squad over the next couple of years.

They say, with youngsters, sometimes it's about luck and timing with getting that opportunity. With that in mind, it's been a little frustrating how Hannibal's missed out on some first team opportunities so far in 2021. First he injured his shoulders with the U23's and only returned late on and missed a few first team opportunities when he could have got a bit of game time as others were.

Then, this summer, despite all the first team players missing, he hasn't got many minutes to do what Elanga has achieved due to being one of the few youngsters who played senior internationals over the summer and so arrived back a little late. I was hoping, having got some game time under his belt, he might have got longer in the Preston game - but then it was called off. I can't see him playing much v Everton, so this summer, which was a good opportunity for him, has kind of past him by as regards United. That side, I was delighted to see him feature for Tunisia's senior team.
Samuel Luckhurst has reported that Solskjaer is seemingly so mindful of preserving the resale value of certain players, that it has blocked the development of young players who have a future at the club.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Samuel Luckhurst has reported that Solskjaer is seemingly so mindful of preserving the resale value of certain players, that it has blocked the development of young players who have a future at the club.
Stuff like this is what grates me about Solskjaer and the way we operate regarding resale value, that we never actually seem to utilise anyway, Lingard says he wants to "fight for his place" but the time for him to fight for his place was 2.5 years ago. We've invested a fairly significant amount of money in some hyper-talented young players who seem to be perenially trapped behind the nearly men who've been here for years.

Looking at players like James it gets you wondering, he wasn't much older than some of these lads when he joined with only one season of football under his belt, but that perceived experience has now trickled its way into over 100 senior appearances. Any time someone like Amad or Elanga doesn't get chosen by Solskjaer for a game people often cite experience being the key factor, but how are they ever going to amass the same game time as James if he keeps getting picked because he was lucky enough to amass game time first? Seems like a paradox to me.