Hannibal Mejbri - Manchester United Player

Adnan

Talent Spotter
LVG was a coach who was very brave when it came to making decisions and had great faith in youth. At Ajax he brought through several teenagers when he took over as first team coach including a 16 year old midfielder (Clarence Seedorf) who would go on to win the Champions League with LVG as coach and Seedorf would repeat the same as a 22 year old at Real Madrid. The consensus in Holland was that, if it wasn't for LVG, Seedorf wouldn't have debuted as young as he did.

Not every coach is LVG when it comes to bringing through youth. And I'm not criticizing Solskjaer here either who needs results first and foremost. But I do think under LVG, the chances for young players to get game time was considerably higher than the average coach elsewhere in the higher echelons of European football. Van Gaal also won trophies at every club he managed.

Fergie was also brave in giving youth a chance.

Anustart89

It is always funny to note how the criteria for giving «youth a chance» twists;

- Greenwood too good to count,
- McTominay made his debut and played a bit under Mourinho (less than 20 games),
- Henderson was on a loan first. Does not count. It only count if OGS are first one who give the player minutes of senior football.
- James. Young, but was bought and had played senior football. See above.
- Williams? Argh. Well. He had too, right? Because or injuries. Dont feel that count!

So, technically, until OGS give the chance to a poor to mediocre young talent, despite better senior players being available for selection, it really dont count.
Conversely though, people on the other side of the argument will use the young age of the squad as an argument to explain that Ole is great at giving youth a chance, despite that young squad consisting of well-established players like Rashford, Sancho and AWB.

Lj82

Come here to celebrate the player we have in our hands, only to see post after post of Ole bashing. Pathetic

sleepehead

I think Hannibal will play at some point this year definitely in some easier cup games and possibly in CL if we can lock it up early. I'd like him to play some cameos in the PL but honestly with VdB barely getting time I don't know how he's gonna see time. Actually I have a feeling that he may play on the wings at some point like Pogba to get him some time. Since he got a red card against Lincoln when can he play? Does he miss the match against West Ham?

lysglimt

Scout
LVG was a coach who was very brave when it came to making decisions and had great faith in youth. At Ajax he brought through several teenagers when he took over as first team coach including a 16 year old midfielder (Clarence Seedorf) who would go on to win the Champions League with LVG as coach and Seedorf would repeat the same as a 22 year old at Real Madrid. The consensus in Holland was that, if it wasn't for LVG, Seedorf wouldn't have debuted as young as he did.

Not every coach is LVG when it comes to bringing through youth. And I'm not criticizing Solskjaer here either who needs results first and foremost. But I do think under LVG, the chances for young players to get game time was considerably higher than the average coach elsewhere in the higher echelons of European football. Van Gaal also won trophies at every club he managed.

Fergie was also brave in giving youth a chance.
Well - I agree with you to a certain extent - but not completely.

LvG wasn't particularly brave here - he just didn't have much of an option due to injuries. As for giving the Ajax-team a chance at young age - with all due respect to our youngsters, that was a one-in-a-million generation at the same level as our Class of 92. And in Holland you can afford to give them the chance at a younger age because the football is less physical and the opposition is much weaker.

At the same time - Ferguson gave very few youngsters the chance before they turned 19:

Scholes made his breakthrough around the time he turned 20. Butt just before he turned 20. Gary Neville made his breakthrough about the time he turned 19. Beckham and O'Shea had turned 20. Phil Neville and Wes Brown just after they turned 19. There were exceptions like Giggs - but they were few and far between

Mickson

LvG wasn't particularly brave here - he just didn't have much of an option due to injuries. As for giving the Ajax-team a chance at young age - with all due respect to our youngsters, that was a one-in-a-million generation at the same level as our Class of 92. And in Holland you can afford to give them the chance at a younger age because the football is less physical and the opposition is much weaker.

At the same time - Ferguson gave very few youngsters the chance before they turned 19:

Scholes made his breakthrough around the time he turned 20. Butt just before he turned 20. Gary Neville made his breakthrough about the time he turned 19. Beckham and O'Shea had turned 20. Phil Neville and Wes Brown just after they turned 19. There were exceptions like Giggs - but they were few and far between
Good points. Although Fergie was quite brave sometimes, as in the Macheda case. Just 17 and put him on in the middle of a title fight.

Adnan

Talent Spotter

Please feel free to disagree.

Van Gaal at Ajax brought through teenagers into the mens game in the Eredivisie which was stronger than the Eredivisie today IMO. The Dutch are also said to be amongst the tallest people on earth with the average male standing at 182.5 cm. So physically the Dutch were always strong but the difference was that they were also technically and tactically ahead of the game.

Yes the Dutch did have a brilliant batch of youngsters coming through. But if it wasn't for 39 year old rookie LVG, we would never have known that, because when he brought several kids through to the first team, many in Holland said he had lost the plot and needed stopping before he did any more damage. Bergkamp had recently left to test himself in the best league in the world at the time and instead of using the proceeds to buy players externally, he decided to use the resources at his disposal and took the decision to promote from within with spectacular results, playing a possession based style which was turbo charged with modern concepts for the time, which were straight from the Rinus Michels' total football play-book. We also know now that LVG didn't care if the player was young or established in the game as long as the said player understood his concept on the pitch. And it was said by many that LVG preferred coaching the younger players because it was felt the young players were more willing to learn his concepts rather than say a superstar player.

Van Gaal also gave opportunities to many young players at United which I was critical of because I didn't think the likes of Blackett, McNnair etc were ever good enough. And he brought through Marcus Rashford straight from the u18s to the first team which was a typical LVG move with or without injuries. Because I don't believe any other first team coach would've done that. But the key thing to note is that LVG was not afraid to make the big call with younger players even under immense media scrutiny even when he was a rookie with no track record as a first team coach.

Fergie brought Giggs through at 17 which wasn't a surprise because he was the best youth player at the club according to many. Scholes was a striker coming through and he had a number of very good players infront of him, So Fergie had to make a big decision, which meant, out went established winners like Hughes, Kanchelskis and Ince and were replaced internally by youngsters like Scholes, Beckham and a external signing from Forest (Roy Keane). If there was social media at the time, there would've been extreme melt downs which would've been exacerbated after the 'you can't win any thing with kids' game, which we lost on the opening day of the season.

The point is that Fergie and LVG made big calls and were prepared to back multiple young players against popular opinion. And they weren't afraid to do that even if it meant they lost a few games.

Last edited:

foolsgold

He's a talent for sure, but he's not remotely ready for the premier league at this point. I think he'd be better by playing 40 games in the championship

In Rainbows

He's a talent for sure, but he's not remotely ready for the premier league at this point. I think he'd be better by playing 40 games in the championship
I don't like completely ruling that out without first giving them minutes. Rashford had only really played for the u18s before being given a chance and he ran with it. Scott was given multiple chances and he didn't get sent out on loan. And he had less experience in midfield at youth level.

mav_9me

If we don't sign a midfielder, I can see him getting games.
Unfortunately I haven't seen any signs of it. I for one wouldn't mind giving him a chance instead of buying a new CM, but just can't take any more Pogba or Matic in CM.

Mickson

I don't like completely ruling that out without first giving them minutes. Rashford had only really played for the u18s before being given a chance and he ran with it. Scott was given multiple chances and he didn't get sent out on loan. And he had less experience in midfield at youth level.
I think Hannibal is a player who would flourish if given the chance at first-team level. Plenty of players in his age and younger are playing fairly regularly for teams better than United.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
I think we should put him on the bench for few games and if we are doing well then introduce him in Midfield.

I have trust on Ole after seeing how he has handled Greenwood. I just hope Hannibal grabs his opportunity whenever he gets one. Last season he was unlucky to get injured at a time when he could have got some games

Oranges038

I think he needs to be eased in with 15-20 minutes here and there and starts against some of the weaker teams.

He would also need a composed presence beside him, which your not going to get with Fred or McT. Which would leave you playing him with a legless Matic, that's not ideal either.

But then again VDB struggles to get minutes no matter how the game is going, so I don't see Hannibal been given many chances.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
I think we should put him on the bench for few games and if we are doing well then introduce him in Midfield.

I have trust on Ole after seeing how he has handled Greenwood. I just hope Hannibal grabs his opportunity whenever he gets one. Last season he was unlucky to get injured at a time when he could have got some games
Temperamentally Greenwood was streets ahead of Hannibal at the same stage. And TBF he's not playing in the midfield position we are lacking in right now

Amarsdd

I don't get this obsession of playing these kids in the first team right here and right now. For truly exceptional talents like Greenwood and in a position with less pressure, like on the wings or forward position, its easier to throw them into the first team. In a position like the midfield, I'm not sure even for a talent like Mejbri (though I rate him a bit lower than Greenwood at the same age). Let him get a couple of cup games under his belt to get used to playing for the first team and also to give the coaching staff confidence that he can handle that before playing him in the league games.

Thiagoal

If Mejbri was a more defensive minded midfielder then I think he’d have a good shot at appearances this season due to it being an area we are really lacking in. However, we have lots of players with a similar skill set to his and therefore minutes will be hard t come by. I actually think it’d have made sense to keep Garner this season.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I think we have 9 positions on the bench isn't it, should make it easier to name him on the bench.

Not sure if he gets enough playing time. We have bloated squad and many players in his position. I hope he gets chances in cup games.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Given we don't seem to be have any CM incoming, let's give Mjebri a bigger role to play this season. You never know if we have our own breakout midfield star as Dortmund/Birmingham City and Rennes have had in the last few years.

Gordon S

Given we don't seem to be have any CM incoming, let's give Mjebri a bigger role to play this season. You never know if we have our own breakout midfield star as Dortmund/Birmingham City and Rennes have had in the last few years.
I think he has the ability to play there in the future but those cm positions in our setup seems difficult to look good in, even for experienced players. Don´t think Ole dares to play him there just yet.

Would still love to see him get the chance, even just for the last 5min.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
He's not really polished enough to throw into the first team. Might get the oodd chance here and there but I don't see more than that. Not this season anyway. If he does well in training/reserves then it can change as the season goes on obviously. Or if he's thrown in somewhere allong the line and does really well. Just the life of a young player if you're tring to break into a side with some of the best players in the world in the positions you can play.

I don't get the LVG comparison with Ole. You don't really want loads of young players being given opportunities if the reason they are being given them is because the manager is a raving madman who's destroyed your first team.

Litch

I like him a lot but the club isnt well placed to give youth a chance. Ole needs to win something so even the lesser cups now become more relevant. If Greenwood who is arguably a generational talent and Sancho the same, aren't guaranteed starters, where does that leave him? I'd say behind at least 4-5 players in his position at least.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
He's not really polished enough to throw into the first team. Might get the oodd chance here and there but I don't see more than that. Not this season anyway. If he does well in training/reserves then it can change as the season goes on obviously. Or if he's thrown in somewhere allong the line and does really well. Just the life of a young player if you're tring to break into a side with some of the best players in the world in the positions you can play.

I don't get the LVG comparison with Ole. You don't really want loads of young players being given opportunities if the reason they are being given them is because the manager is a raving madman who's destroyed your first team.
Yeah LVG brought through one or two very good players that might not have got their chance as soon otherwise, but he also played some really crap ones because he'd ruined or sold the player ahead of them. No offence to Blackett, McNair etc but they're not Prem players. In fact he even fecked off Michael Keane who has ended up having a decent Prem career.

TwoSheds

I like him a lot but the club isnt well placed to give youth a chance. Ole needs to win something so even the lesser cups now become more relevant. If Greenwood who is arguably a generational talent and Sancho the same, aren't guaranteed starters, where does that leave him? I'd say behind at least 4-5 players in his position at least.
Sancho a generational talent? Not sure about that one. Let's hope he can reach the level of a guy like Mahrez, I don't think he's got Messi talent.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Bellingham, Muisala, Elliott, Moukoko, Pedri for example.
Elliot is the only player who plays against Premier League teams. With respect to La Liga and Bundesliga, they are slower and more forgiving leagues than the EPL.

If the coaching staff feels he's ready, he'll get gametime. Mason Greenwood made his way into the team.

Litch

Sancho a generational talent? Not sure about that one. Let's hope he can reach the level of a guy like Mahrez, I don't think he's got Messi talent.
I said arguably but I think so. Can't think of many 21 year old valued at 80m? Or many with his numbers over the last two seasons at any age or league? Generational talent doesn't mean has to be Messi.....

AFC NimbleThumb

I said arguably but I think so. Can't think of many 21 year old valued at 80m? Or many with his numbers over the last two seasons at any age or league? Generational talent doesn't mean has to be Messi.....
This.

Absolutely ridiculous how many have downplayed this lad since he joined us, the fact we’ve re-signed Ronaldo will hopefully allow this boy time to bed in nicely. I have no doubt he’ll be ripping the EPL apart soon enough. The thought of him, Rashford & Mason in a few years is scintillating.

Litch

Elliot is the only player who plays against Premier League teams. With respect to La Liga and Bundesliga, they are slower and more forgiving leagues than the EPL.

If the coaching staff feels he's ready, he'll get gametime. Mason Greenwood made his way into the team.
Agree but I think it's even harder now, than a couple of seasons ago. Mason got his opportunity and took it, not even sure some of these young lads are going to get that. The pressure to win something is huge and we have starters last season that it's not clear where/when they are going to play. Then you have Jessie back and VDB who need game time. Ole doesn't rotate well nor does he makes subs until reallly late in games. Can't see his pathway to first team football.

Drainy

:lol:

Messi is an all time great. Generational, at least to me, means one of the influencal players of their generation and Sancho has definitely got the talent for that.

TwoSheds

:lol:

Messi is an all time great. Generational, at least to me, means one of the influencal players of their generation and Sancho has definitely got the talent for that.
Well it's a fairly meaningless term I would agree but my understanding of it is "one of the outstanding players of his generation" (+/-10 years or so?). I'd love to be wrong but I don't think Sancho will be remembered particularly far into the future, same as Mahrez. Both are/can be fantastic players though of course.

I wouldn't have called Nani a generational talent either even though he was a brilliant player and thoroughly deserving of playing at a top club (for 18 months at least!). Generational is more Ronaldo, Rooney, Scholes, Giggs, maybe Tevez.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Why do you
Well it's a fairly meaningless term I would agree but my understanding of it is "one of the outstanding players of his generation" (+/-10 years or so?). I'd love to be wrong but I don't think Sancho will be remembered particularly far into the future, same as Mahrez. Both are/can be fantastic players though of course.

I wouldn't have called Nani a generational talent either even though he was a brilliant player and thoroughly deserving of playing at a top club (for 18 months at least!). Generational is more Ronaldo, Rooney, Scholes, Giggs, maybe Tevez.
Why do you keep mentioning Mahrez? Mahrez only became a very good player at 25, Sancho isn't even 22 for another 6 months.