Hannibal Mejbri - Manchester United Player

In Rainbows

We do have some very good youth at the moment with what has already been promoted and what is to come. Forgettign Mjebri, the amount of young English talent coming through this season at several clubs look very rosy for the future of our International side.

Sure I have seen lots of reports Garner may be loaned next season. Considering the fees we may have to spend for our targets and our priorities, I dont see us signing a defensive midfielder this window which bar Matic we dont really have, Id rather keep him here.

As for Laird I think he looks really promising, to the point that personally, I think we should raise funds from selling Dalot who I think has had a hard time this season but look promising, but he will never get in front of Bissaka. Bissaka and Laird with the fact that Willilams can also play right back seems plenty of good options for me at right back.

As for Mjebri, anybody here seen him playing for our youth sides? All I have seen are youtube clips. He looks to have a fantastic pass on him but apart from that he doesnt look physically ready at all for me from the clips seen anyway. Of course he has been working on this but he looks to me like he has some natural growth to do with his age as well as bulking up a bit too. If he is very close, would we as appears to be the case be lookign so seriously at Grealish as a potential signing? Saying that I would love to see Laird and maybe even Menghi, Garner and Mjebri promoted to the full team squad. We do for me have a good 6/7 players I feel should be moved on and we arent making that many signings. We have a big squad so I think more of these hungry youngsters waiting in the wings would be a good thing
Mejbri looks very polished and well rounded. And that isn't to say he's a jack of all trades type. His technical skill is very impressive. I'll use Angel Gomes as an example as I'm a Gomes stan. Gomes has amazing technical ability in all the obvious ways. That being his first touch, his ball manipulation, and his dribbling. However, if there is a ball in the air and he's tasked to control it, he might not be as calm and will let it bounce because naturally there are opposition who are also going for it. This is something Pogba does really well. He's calm and focuses on just controlling the ball which is why he comes out on top in those situation. Mejbri is the same way.

Another thing is that he's also composed when defenders try to take the ball off him and he must do a trick to get himself out of trouble. Gomes, despite having really good technique and tricks, can lose the ball in those situations where a Pogba, Sancho, or even Greenwood would not. I feel like I'm putting Gomes and Mejbri under a microscope as these types of situations don't affect a game as much, but it's still something I've started to consider when evaluating youth players.

Mejbri has a great first touch, dribbles well, manipulates the ball well to give himself space, and has vision. In terms of technique, he's like Foden. Mejbri has high energy as well so he gets stuck in and can be nasty. He pretty much stands out every match. Like it's very obvious how good he is when you watch him against players his age.

Some on here have likened him to Modric in his technical ability and composure.

In Rainbows

PSG can't hold on to their current big talents so signing Mejbri or Cherki would've been difficult.
Honestly thought Real Madrid would have gotten Cherki too. He's a bit like a Zidane regen.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
it must have been really significant as he’d signed a pro contract so Monaco could have scrapped it out for a better fee but they basically stood aside. Either that or they didn’t want to deal with his family anymore.
The family just refused to budge and it was reported that the damage and trust was irreparable.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Mejbri looks very polished and well rounded. And that isn't to say he's a jack of all trades type. His technical skill is very impressive. I'll use Angel Gomes as an example as I'm a Gomes stan. Gomes has amazing technical ability in all the obvious ways. That being his first touch, his ball manipulation, and his dribbling. However, if there is a ball in the air and he's tasked to control it, he might not be as calm and will let it bounce because naturally there are opposition who are also going for it. This is something Pogba does really well. He's calm and focuses on just controlling the ball which is why he comes out on top in those situation. Mejbri is the same way.

Another thing is that he's also composed when defenders try to take the ball off him and he must do a trick to get himself out of trouble. Gomes, despite having really good technique and tricks, can lose the ball in those situations where a Pogba, Sancho, or even Greenwood would not. I feel like I'm putting Gomes and Mejbri under a microscope as these types of situations don't affect a game as much, but it's still something I've started to consider when evaluating youth players.

Mejbri has a great first touch, dribbles well, manipulates the ball well to give himself space, and has vision. In terms of technique, he's like Foden. Mejbri has high energy as well so he gets stuck in and can be nasty. He pretty much stands out every match. Like it's very obvious how good he is when you watch him against players his age.

Good post and describes his ability as a player well IMO.

I'm someone that enjoys watching players in central roles that are technicians and he falls into that category. There's a artistic nature to their play which is mesmerising and extremely satisfying to watch. And Gomes was the same in that regard.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
I haven't watched enough of him to have a valid opinion on his readiness as a player. But, speaking in generalities, it does seem easier for young prodigies to break in as final third attackers (generally on the wing) over roles that require more defensive ability and all-around game required to play in the middle of the field. I'm trying to think of the last elite midfielder who was able to get solid minutes in a competing team in a tough league at 17/18. Pogba may have deserved more time at 18 with us if it wasn't for the contract issue, and he was starting at Juve at 19/20. Just seems most of the highly hyped teens who breakthrough tend to be attackers like Mbappe, Ronaldo, and Rooney, and recently for us Martial, Rashford, Greenwood. Kroos got time at Bayern at 19 and then loaned out. Thiago didn't see real-time at Barca until 19. Iniesta saw some time at 18, same with Xavi. City gave Fodon some time around those ages. Would love to see him breakthrough as soon as possible, it just feels rare.
Gilmour is the only one this season I can think of at a top club. He's had his dips (as to be expected), but I rate him as a prospect.

McTominay for ourselves broke through early as well, but as you say its usually around 19/20 rather than 18

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
PSG can't hold on to their current big talents so signing Mejbri or Cherki would've been difficult.
It's not solely a PSG issue, it's a French club issue if I understand it correctly. French clubs cannot sign their youth players to contracts longer than 3 years, meanwhile any club outside of France can offer 5 year contracts so it's very difficult with kids looking for their first professional contract to get them to turn down 5 guaranteed years as opposed to 3.

Blood Mage

Outrageous talent this guy is. I hope we don't wait too long to give him his chance, I think he'll be ready next season tbh.

lenny_1248

I’d love to know what went on there. I’d warrant a guess and just say the player had his head turned by us and forced a move. I think the new aggressive youth approach means we will be spending more on wages in that age group that the competition.
Something with his mother. At leat there were such rumours.
Anyway, it was very serious.

lenny_1248

I am sure Hannibal will make his debut next season, no question.
And he won't be the only one making his debut.

Thiagoal

I’m very surprised people are so confident he’ll make first team appearances next season! I can only assume they’ve not watched much (or any) of him in the academy,

Firstly, he’s clearly a very skilful player- the game is very natural for him. He has a good footballing brain and awareness of others. The other thing I love is ‘the devil in him’ He has an elite attitude and desire to win.

However, he is well off physically, he was even struggling to impose himself on some u18 games so men’s football he’d get eaten alive. He also was very wasteful and sloppy in some games- regularly giving the ball away in dangerous areas!

He’s clearly a supremely gifted footballer but needs to have done a lot of developing to be earning any first team minutes. I’d say Garner and Levitt are much closer to getting minutes

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I’m very surprised people are so confident he’ll make first team appearances next season! I can only assume they’ve not watched much (or any) of him in the academy,

Firstly, he’s clearly a very skilful player- the game is very natural for him. He has a good footballing brain and awareness of others. The other thing I love is ‘the devil in him’ He has an elite attitude and desire to win.

However, he is well off physically, he was even struggling to impose himself on some u18 games so men’s football he’d get eaten alive. He also was very wasteful and sloppy in some games- regularly giving the ball away in dangerous areas!

He’s clearly a supremely gifted footballer but needs to have done a lot of developing to be earning any first team minutes. I’d say Garner and Levitt are much closer to getting minutes
I've watched him in every game he's played at United and even some before he joined. I believe he will make appearances next season in the first team. League Cup will be a competition I can definitely see him get minutes.

NWRed

He's looked comfortable in the U23s and although he still needs some physical development before he's ready for regular first team football, as we've seen with Greenwood that can happen quite quickly and this enforced break is the perfect time to get some muscle on.

I'd bet on him not only making his debut next season, but being a regular in the first team squad with plenty of appearances from the bench by the end of next season.

lenny_1248

I watch almost all academy games. That's why I'm so confident.
No one said he will be on the bench every game, but his debut, hence 5/10 min cameo, is pretty given for me.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
It's not solely a PSG issue, it's a French club issue if I understand it correctly. French clubs cannot sign their youth players to contracts longer than 3 years, meanwhile any club outside of France can offer 5 year contracts so it's very difficult with kids looking for their first professional contract to get them to turn down 5 guaranteed years as opposed to 3.
16-17 year olds can’t sign 5 year deals in England either. Think it’s illegal pretty much everywhere, might even be a FIFA rule.

zenith

Id expect him to continue at the level he is currently for his development but surely the first team management would have a close look at him.

For the position he plays and the overall nature of his game (which is very combative) he needs to bulk up significantly.

Given his potential though, I can certainly see him being close to the first team, in the 21-22 season.

jesperjaap

Interesting and from subsequent comments it seems the general consensus is he really is supremely gifted but maybe not there physically, thanks

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
I haven't watched enough of him to have a valid opinion on his readiness as a player. But, speaking in generalities, it does seem easier for young prodigies to break in as final third attackers (generally on the wing) over roles that require more defensive ability and all-around game required to play in the middle of the field. I'm trying to think of the last elite midfielder who was able to get solid minutes in a competing team in a tough league at 17/18. Pogba may have deserved more time at 18 with us if it wasn't for the contract issue, and he was starting at Juve at 19/20. Just seems most of the highly hyped teens who breakthrough tend to be attackers like Mbappe, Ronaldo, and Rooney, and recently for us Martial, Rashford, Greenwood. Kroos got time at Bayern at 19 and then loaned out. Thiago didn't see real-time at Barca until 19. Iniesta saw some time at 18, same with Xavi. City gave Fodon some time around those ages. Would love to see him breakthrough as soon as possible, it just feels rare.
Your right. Mistakes from an attackers POV can be covered but if a young defender makes an error and it leads to a goal...think Axel against Arsenal then it can lead to real confidence issues

DannyDee

Your right. Mistakes from an attackers POV can be covered but if a young defender makes an error and it leads to a goal...think Axel against Arsenal then it can lead to real confidence issues
Thanks. Am I wrong in thinking his long-term ideal role in our current formation is as the box to box #8 aka Pogba's current role or is he more likely to be pushed forward a bit into the Bruno free attacking role in the mid-field 3? I do think that Pogba role would be very tough for a younger guy, as mistakes in the middle of the park can be very costly. For now, that is McTominay's role to spell (and ideally, we can find a positionally sound and strong on-ball dm to spell Matic). Unless we are very strong elsewhere, that box to box role is a very difficult position for a youngster to fill in. I'd love to see him do it and am very excited for him long-term, but even at League Cup level that is asking a lot from a 17/18 year old. I know he is much smaller, but my favorite UTD player of all-time (Scholes) broke in at about 20, and in a more advanced role, but it was a rougher league then and he was significantly smaller.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
16-17 year olds can’t sign 5 year deals in England either. Think it’s illegal pretty much everywhere, might even be a FIFA rule.
I shouldn't write about it without learning more, but for example PSG just recently lost Kouassi (who's 18) to Bayern Munich who was able to offer him a 4 year deal while PSG was capped to 3 years by the rules. It's a slight disadvantage to clubs forming the players to not be able to offer at least as long contracts as other teams.

SAFMUTD

I shouldn't write about it without learning more, but for example PSG just recently lost Kouassi (who's 18) to Bayern Munich who was able to offer him a 4 year deal while PSG was capped to 3 years by the rules. It's a slight disadvantage to clubs forming the players to not be able to offer at least as long contracts as other teams.
It may be they cant sign long term until theyre 21? Anyway I dont think thats the problem with PSG, lack of oportunities are. Youngsters are usually on low wages so I think if they make it good the short term contract plays to their advantage to negotiate a new contract with higher wages earlie.

Mickson

Exactly my thoughts as well, and I have seen every game he has played (that has been on MUTV). Very wasteful at times. He's still learning but doesn't look nearly ready. He's obviously behind Garner, Levitt, and maybe Galbraith.

Davie Moyes

Thanks for the detailed description and comparisons between Gomes and Hannibal. I don't get to watch the youth and reserves that much so really appreciate this.

I've heard so much about Gomes and how highly rated he was so was disappointed we could not get convince him to stay. From what you describe though it seems whilst his technique was fantastic in some aspects he had weaknesses in other areas which is likely why management probably felt he was not ready yet rather than any other agenda against him. We keep reading posters say he should be getting Lingard, Mata etc minutes but if there are obvious weaknesses then management probably did not fully think he is ready yet for first team minutes.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
When I saw this was bumped I though he may have been in the squad for tonight :(

KevinJoh

Kid is pretty young and his body did not develop, but he certainly looks like he won't have a problem to develop once his growth stop and lads can work on his muscles. Obviously at 17, it is not smart thing to do.
Regarding his playing style, he certainly has flaws, and is not ready, but I have not seen much (if any) better kids on his position in last 15 years or so, since I am watching academy games. Pogba obviously, but his physics at early age has been something else, Ravel, Rash, Mason are different positions. He is smart player, he understands game, position well, not afraid to stand up to challenges. He will learn the rest. Yes, he is bullied away in U23 and targeted with tackles, but he did not try to avoid them, just lost temper a few times. Key part I think is adding goals to his game, that part I don't like at the moment. Not DM for sure, more like Scholes type of player if he can add goals.

Regarding next season, depending on body and our results. I can see him making debut, but not regular time. Debut more like appreciation than really to have him in the squad. But once he develops his body, he will be integral part of the team, I have no doubt.

In Rainbows

Didn't Mejbri post something on social media saying he wanted to work hard to get his strength at a suitable level for first team football?

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Didn't Mejbri post something on social media saying he wanted to work hard to get his strength at a suitable level for first team football?
He said he was working towards getting physically stronger but was mindful it doesn't hinder his agility.

jb8521

If the LASK 2nd leg match is still on, I don't see why he couldn't at least get an appearance for 10 mins. United aren't going to surrender to a 5 goal to nil position at home.
He's not registered in the squad & hasn't been at the club long enough to be registered on the B list

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Not much in it. He has been told to be ready for the first team, everyone likes and trust Ole who is a good coach and gives time to youth players, he is focused on imposing himself at United and isn't thinking about national teams, he will choose between Tunisia and France when the time comes but it's not in his mind yet. Also he uses technical players with great vision as his models, the likes of Iniesta and Zidane.

0le

Not much in it. He has been told to be ready for the first team, everyone likes and trust Ole who is a good coach and gives time to youth players, he is focused on imposing himself at United and isn't thinking about national teams, he will choose between Tunisia and France when the time comes but it's not in his mind yet. Also he uses technical players with great vision as his models, the likes of Iniesta and Zidane.

hubbuh

In that case so does David Luiz. Do you love him too? ;)
Pfft, the guy that continues to cost Arsenal multiple points?! I worship the guy!

Compare the two, though. Hannibal's has got way more volume. For sheer volume alone he deserves our undying reverence.