Hannibal Mejbri - Manchester United Player

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I think you're right about that. Yes, our U23 is better coached than our U18, but you can see the difference. Last season, he only started one game and made 3 sub appearances but still assisted to 3 goals (the same amount of assist he had in 14 starts for U18). This season, he has 2 goals and 3 assist in 3 games. That is a fantastic achievement for a midfielder.
I have no fears over him at all. Yes he's not quite ready for premier league level as a starter but I think by next year he could start having some minutes off the bench, or the cup games etc. I think we could happily play him in Mata's role to start with and just let him float about getting involved in the game, he's a rare combination of playmaker and ball carrier that also does the hard work. I'd be amazed if he failed to have a top career.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
So in other words you don't think he's going to make it? Another Januzaj? A Perriera? A Macheda?
Not at all, I didn't say anywhere he won't make it. He's very good. But Januzaj was also very good, Mejbri hasn't shown anything more than him or other very good youth players of the past. Sometimes they make it, sometimes they don't. Adnan still has over 60 appearances for us and a great career, put him under a different manager or redo it all with a slightly different attitude and he may well still be here. The margins are thin. Mejbri is in the same boat, he is very good and can make it but he is not a guarantee like people act like he is. He isn't Mason Greenwood, no one is Mason Greenwood. All you had to do was see Mason once at 15 and he was guaranteed to make it. Mejbri isn't that good. He's also nowhere near ready for the first team when he is being dominated at u23s level. He's good, but he's ridiculously overrated by fans and the media constantly writing articles about him for no reason.

He also needs to stop acting like he's 7 years old. He acted out about 5-6 times last night which is just embarrassing.

limerickcitykid

His talent is undeniable, he looked the best player in the pitch again.
How? He didn't, not even close. There was about 10 Liverpool players that were better, hence why they were killing us by 4 goals and dominated us in midfield. Elanga was also just as good. He also can't be the best player on the pitch "again" when he was one of the worst players on the pitch in the last match.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
What he really needs to get used to is the higher paced game as he moves up the senior levels. Id have no problem with him dropping in easy slower paced game, but he couldn't deal with the press of Liverpools reserves the first half. I see him getting a token 5 mins at the end of a game this season to show faith in him, but no chance he starts a game this year IMO.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
How? He didn't, not even close. There was about 10 Liverpool players that were better, hence why they were killing us by 4 goals and dominated us in midfield. Elanga was also just as good. He also can't be the best player on the pitch "again" when he was one of the worst players on the pitch in the last match.
You clearly have something against him - that's fine. He did plenty of good things in the match (the video above proves that)

Yes he needs to scrub up in places but the Liverpool team were older and more experienced than our very young team. He more than held his own individually and Elanga is also a great talent, but Mejbri had the better game IMO.

It was a fairly even game until Mccan lost the ball and then it all fell apart in about 10 minutes.

I think you need to take a step back and realise the kid has just turned 17 and playing amongst people 2/3+ years older than him, that makes a difference physically at that age.

Mejbri is a huge talent and I promise you now he will have a better career than any of those Liverpool lads.

limerickcitykid

You clearly have something against him - that's fine. He did plenty of good things in the match (the video above proves that)

Yes he needs to scrub up in places but the Liverpool team were older and more experienced than our very young team. He more than held his own individually and Elanga is also a great talent, but Mejbri had the better game IMO.

It was a fairly even game until Mccan lost the ball and then it all fell apart in about 10 minutes.

I think you need to take a step back and realise the kid has just turned 17 and playing amongst people 2/3+ years older than him, that makes a difference physically at that age.

Mejbri is a huge talent and I promise you now he will have a better career than any of those Liverpool lads.
I have nothing against him, he's a great talent. I have something against the constant lying about him being the best player on the pitch when he quite obviously wasn't.

The Liverpool team were on average only 1 year older. Age is irrelevant anyway, you're claiming he was the best player on the pitch. So it doesn't matter if they were older, was he the best or not? He quite clearly wasn't.

I know full well he is 17, and I'm perfectly fine with him making mistakes and taking his time to develop. I'm not the one claiming he is the best player on the pitch in every match when he quite clearly isn't. Evidenced by the fact we were dominated in midfield, yet again, and were losing by 4 goals.

He can have a better career than them all he wants, that doesn't make him the best player on the pitch last night. You've banged out 5 lines of excuses and irrelevance there which have nothing to do with him being the best player on the pitch. Which he wasn't.

lenny_1248

A year passed and he still has not matured mentally.
He needs to stop moaning and act like a child b/c in the future opponents can use it against him.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Caf grilling an academy kid playing at academy level and not being matured yet. :lol:

khoazany

Obviously a great talent but he was poor yesterday for majority of the game that we were dominated (McCann as well). Also people who think he's better than Gomes already obviously haven't watched both of them much. And yes, he's nowhere near ready for the 1st team yet, people need to have some chill pill. Elanga is the closest to the 1st team out of those that played yesterday.

Also he really need to cut out that childish unnecessary reaction every time he was fouled.

Spaghetti

Mom's
5-3 to Liverpool but it could have been more one sided towards Liverpool if they had been that bothered. They had the beating of us from the start, just a more mature and developed team at that level.
Thanks. The players seems to all be at the age level above and all losing; can’t be good for their confidence or mentality.

I mean I know the answer, but you have heard of google right?
Sorry for asking for the football score on a football forum, you narky little virgin.

Zlatans Knee

Thanks. The players seems to all be at the age level above and all losing; can’t be good for their confidence or mentality.

Sorry for asking for the football score on a football forum, you narky little virgin.
Hah you took the time to come in here and post your question when in less time you could have found out for yourself. Whatever floats your boat I suppose.

Spaghetti

Mom's
Hah you took the time to come in here and post your question when in less time you could have found out for yourself. Whatever floats your boat I suppose.
Nope. I was reading about Hannibal and someone mentioned the game and him being involved in 3 goals. I had seen in another thread that it was 1-4 at some point so I wondered.

It would have been easier for you to post the score rather than get your knickers in a twist.

Zlatans Knee

Nope. I was reading about Hannibal and someone mentioned the game and him being involved in 3 goals. I had seen in another thread that it was 1-4 at some point so I wondered.

It would have been easier for you to post the score rather than get your knickers in a twist.
Knickers are decidedly untwisted. But you are correct with your second sentence, it would have been easier for me to point out the score but I decided not to because I believe that Google is better suited to your present and future needs.

Spaghetti

Mom's
Knickers are decidedly untwisted. But you are correct with your second sentence, it would have been easier for me to point out the score but I decided not to because I believe that Google is better suited to your present and future needs.
Your stubbornness is admirable. Although I do agree that it would have been faster (not necessarily easier) to Google the score, it’s not something I’d necessarily jump down someone’s throat for.

Next time I will use a search engine, even if it’s for a kids game.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Some way over the top reaction for 17 year old. He got caught for the second goal that's about it. If you don't like footballers making mistakes then I would suggest not watching youth games.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
:lol:
Some way over the top reaction for 17 year old. He got caught for the second goal that's about it. If you don't like footballers making mistakes then I would suggest not watching youth games.
No one's got an issue with him making mistakes, people have issues with him constantly being lauded as the best player on the pitch when he obviously isn't. He's a very good player, I rate him very highly and I think he's got a good shot of making it to the first team someday, but he's been somehow elevated by our fanbase to be the next Maradona, he's not even better than Gomes let alone Greenwood. It's laughable to see so many suggest he should get dropped into the first team when he's still coming to terms with U23 football.

Drainy

I was happy to respond? This thread has taken an odd turn :lol:

U18s have had some reinforcements and seem to be doing alright

23s is more difficult to balance, the results ultimately matter very little - there are a lot of very poor to average technical teams who are physical and use that to win so its not a good measure for potential but a decent bridge to men's football for those who are capable.
There is a bit of a gap between this group and the first team due to young age so not many 'on the cusp of the first team' players are available to the 23s at the moment - they are all on loan or will be- so its going to be a difficult season, but hopefully it will build resilience.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
We're only a few games into the new season so it's very difficult to make claims about him being in the first team immediately which is easy to see. But I can see him making his debut in the first team at some point this season because I fully expect him to settle and improve further. He either created or scored all 3 of our goals against Liverpool which is impressive for a 17 year old and his potential output is already very impressive and there's more to come.

As far as handling the press he did struggle and Liverpool were very coordinated in implementing their high pressure game which didn't surprise me. Thiago Alcantara only last season struggled to beat the Gladbach high pressure game in the second half in the away fixture which Gladbach came back to win 2-1. And he's supposed to be immune to getting pressed according to some posts i've read on the forum and it just goes to show that even the best can struggle if the opposition coordinate their high pressure game well and cut off passing lanes. And in Mejbri's case of course there was things he could've done better but when your wide receivers (fullbacks) are fillers and you're missing a number of key players the struggle will be a very real possibility against a team that is well coordinated in applying high pressure which i'm sure is influenced by their first team coach Klopp.

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
I think Mejbri is a very talented midfielder and with the right development could easily make it in the first team at some point in the future.

Going forward he looks brilliant and on many occasions is thinking ahead of most other players on the pitch.

I think there is a lot of hype by some posters on here that this alone should be the reason why he a) should be considered the first team b) will get minutes this season.

Both are possible.

On the other side, a few posters have pointed out his deficiencies. He gets caught on the ball quite a bit (happened last season too but you don't get punished at that level) and his temperament is very suspect. He doesn't track back when he loses the ball, will sulk and throw his arms around arguing with refs and he gets booked nearly every game. If he doesn't develop these areas (which I think he will with time), he will not be good enough to make it in our first team.

So I think the talent is there but the hype is over the top.

As always it will be interesting to watch how he progresses this season.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
:lol: :lol:

Thank you, I just came across this post and I think it's the best post on redcafe in the past six months.

I have a theory that players with big hair are given more attention in general. David Luiz, Fellaini, Carlos Valderrama, Alex Song, Abel Xavier....they were all massively, massively overrated in their youth, but given a huge amount of attention.

Weird, non?

lysglimt

Scout
I think Mejbri is a very talented midfielder and with the right development could easily make it in the first team at some point in the future.

Going forward he looks brilliant and on many occasions is thinking ahead of most other players on the pitch.

I think there is a lot of hype by some posters on here that this alone should be the reason why he a) should be considered the first team b) will get minutes this season.

Both are possible.

On the other side, a few posters have pointed out his deficiencies. He gets caught on the ball quite a bit (happened last season too but you don't get punished at that level) and his temperament is very suspect. He doesn't track back when he loses the ball, will sulk and throw his arms around arguing with refs and he gets booked nearly every game. If he doesn't develop these areas (which I think he will with time), he will not be good enough to make it in our first team.

So I think the talent is there but the hype is over the top.

As always it will be interesting to watch how he progresses this season.
The problem as I see it - isn't the fact that people around him believes the hype, it's rather that he seems to believe it himself

He reminds me a bit of Veron. Veron was superb if given time, if facing the oppositions goal. And yet - he always ended up receiving the ball facing his own goal, 30 yards out. Was careless on the ball - and the opposition scored. Hannibal is a bit of the same, he is so keen on being at the center, that he puts himself in positions where he isn't at his best, simply so he can receive the ball. And both him and United suffer from it.

Hannibal is an attacking midfielder and should not be collecting the ball just outside our own penalty area.

Bojan Djordjic

The problem as I see it - isn't the fact that people around him believes the hype, it's rather that he seems to believe it himself

He reminds me a bit of Veron. Veron was superb if given time, if facing the oppositions goal. And yet - he always ended up receiving the ball facing his own goal, 30 yards out. Was careless on the ball - and the opposition scored. Hannibal is a bit of the same, he is so keen on being at the center, that he puts himself in positions where he isn't at his best, simply so he can receive the ball. And both him and United suffer from it.

Hannibal is an attacking midfielder and should not be collecting the ball just outside our own penalty area.
Ah give it a rest with the bar stool psychology waffle. He's seventeen. It might be fair to say the kid is still developing and that his performances have not necessarily matched the hype so far but when you begin projecting feelings on to the kid, you're talking through your backside. It's just not on when you're discussing a young teenager.

lysglimt

Scout
Ah give it a rest with the bar stool psychology waffle. He's seventeen. It might be fair to say the kid is still developing and that his performances have not necessarily matched the hype so far but when you begin projecting feelings on to the kid, you're talking through your backside. It's just not on when you're discussing a young teenager.
Seeing as you have taken your name from Bojan Djordjic - I can understand why you would take offense by that.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho

Surely doing this in the youth teams is where he needs to be doing it? If he can learn to play simpler in deeper areas of the pitch then now is the time to do just that.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Surely doing this in the youth teams is where he needs to be doing it? If he can learn to play simpler in deeper areas of the pitch then now is the time to do just that.
He's been doing that since he was at Monaco playing a variety of midfield roles from advancing play from deep to being the midfield conduit who knitted it all together. And as far as i'm concerned i'm all for that because it improves players and prepares them for first team football in the future. And like Nicky Butt himself said, this level is about future development for the first team and winning/losing is secondary.

You learn the most when you make mistakes and it's how you comeback from those mistakes which ultimately defines you as a player. Also our two CBs play too deep which doesn't help our midfield hence they get swarmed by teams that are adept at applying high pressure. I'm hoping Willy Kambwala lives upto his billing and eventually moves up to the 23s and gives the midfield a strong platform to play further up the pitch and also helps with advancing play with a powerful surge forward to break lines or use his passing ability to break lines which would really help the midfield against physically stronger teams who are adept at applying high pressure.

Last edited:

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Only player I thought played well for us in the game so it's good to hear Neil Wood also thought similar.

Grande

He's been doing that since he was at Monaco playing a variety of midfield roles from advancing play from deep to being the midfield conduit who knitted it all together. And as far as i'm concerned i'm all for that because it improves players and prepares them for first team football in the future. And like Nicky Butt himself said, this level is about future development for the first team and winning/losing is secondary.

You learn the most when you make mistakes and it's how you comeback from those mistakes which ultimately defines you as a player. Also our two CBs play too deep which doesn't help our midfield hence they get swarmed by teams that are adept at applying high pressure. I'm hoping Willy Kambwala lives upto his billing and eventually moves up to the 23s and gives the midfield a strong platform to play further up the pitch and also helps with advancing play with a powerful surge forward to break lines or use his passing ability to break lines which would really help the midfield against physically stronger teams who are adept at applying high pressure.

Aren’t Teden Mengi supposed to be good at this at reserves level?

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Yes, he looks really good on the ball and a great passer. Can't wait to see him in the team with Bruno.
He’s got a way to go. Be patient. He could be a star or go the way of loads of talented players and have a good career in less high profile league and team.