Television Hannibal - The "how much milage can we get out of this character" TV Series

LARulz

Just finished season 2 in a day. Yes, I have done nothing productive on this day off. Having said that

What a finale. I would have been happy if the show completely finished after that. I for some reason can't help but want Hannibal to 'win' :nervous:.

I'm going to assume they all survive, except maybe Jack. The cops were called ages ago (what a slow response time) and I'm sure will save them.

What was Alana doing running up the stairs instead of out the house? What kind of fecking dipshit is she? I hope she dies because of that.

So is that blonde woman actually his partner or is she still under some sort of control from him?

Mason had the best line of the season for me: "I'm full of myself" :lol:

Phurry

Furry Fecker
Just looked it up, did it end last Friday, ?
Imdb have it ending in July
End of July sounds right for the UK, this week will only be episode 4 of the season. I had watched the first 3 on tv but couldn't be arsed waiting so downloaded the rest yesterday, watched episodes 4 & 5 last night.

The FBI agent done up Damian Hirst style was a bit of a "whoever thought that up genuinely has issues" moment :lol:

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
How fecking long does it take the police to get there? Didn't Alana call them before she went in?
Yeah but with everything happening in super slo mo it was probably about 5 minutes.

I wonder how many of the people raving about this finale will change their opinion when most of them show up alive and well for season 3?

I've heard on the grapevine that
Chilton
isn't even dead.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I thought that Will will (hehe) die there but then I remembered that in the films he was badly wounded by Hannibal - so he probably would live. Think that Alana and his "daughter", forgot her name, will surely die. Not so sure about Jack - he probably should die but he was a key figure in "the silence of the lambs", so maybe he will live? was surprised to hear that there would be season 3, thought that this is a great ending for the whole episodes

Eboue

nasty little twerp with crazy bitter-man opinions
I'm typing this with my Glock 19 two feet from me
Yeah but with everything happening in super slo mo it was probably about 5 minutes.

I wonder how many of the people raving about this finale will change their opinion when most of them show up alive and well for season 3?

I've heard on the grapevine that
Chilton
isn't even dead.
I've read an interview with Brian Fuller
where he says that they aren't all dead but they aren't all alive either. I suppose they could do a cop out and have everyone but Abigail live.[/quote]

Jacob

Finished the two seasons in a couple of days, looking forward to season three on fourth of June.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Bump.

Watched the first season of this.

Not perfect but definitely interesting enough to keep my attention. Liked that they actually made it seem like what Will does carries real long term effects, that Hannibal isn't so obviously a psychopath that you wonder why everyone around him doesn't spot it and that it doesn't always take the most obvious route story-wise.

Are the next few seasons as good? More importantly, how many more seasons are there? Vaguely remember hearing it had been cancelled at some point. Don't want to google it in case I spoil something on myself but I saw three seasons' worth of threads while searching for this one...

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
Bump.

Watched the first season of this.

Not perfect but definitely interesting enough to keep my attention. Liked that they actually made it seem like what Will does carries real long term effects, that Hannibal isn't so obviously a psychopath that you wonder why everyone around him doesn't spot it and that it doesn't always take the most obvious route story-wise.

Are the next few seasons as good? More importantly, how many more seasons are there? Vaguely remember hearing it had been cancelled at some point. Don't want to google it in case I spoil something on myself but I saw three seasons' worth of threads while searching for this one...
I think it got cancelled at the end of season 3

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
It sort of goes up itself a bit in the 2nd and 3rd series.

Tries too much to be the 1st series and fails. It's not, definitely watchable, but not as strong as I once thought it'd be.

caid

I thought season 2 was great.
Season 3 was fairly enjoyable up to a point but about half way through my interest just completely died and i never finished it. It was a pretty big step down from the previous 2 seasons

Stringer

I thought season 2 was the best of the lot. That second half is something else.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
I loved this series, this was my introduction to the world of Hannibal. Even read Red Dragon afterwards, need to get around to reading Silence of the Lambs.

I still have hope that it will return.

OneUnited24

I thought season 2 was great.
Season 3 was fairly enjoyable up to a point but about half way through my interest just completely died and i never finished it. It was a pretty big step down from the previous 2 seasons
This.

I watched the first 4 eps of season 3 and couldnt work out if it was all a dream or was actually happening... Its the first time i've gone from "cant wait for the new season" to "i wonder what else is on" so quick

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
I enjoyed all 3 seasons though season 2 was probably the peak. Excellent show with great acting throughout.

Also, the show has some of the most repulsive scenes I've ever seen.

ArmandTamzarian

Supports
Liverpool
Shite. Is it really that hard to keep good shows going?
Aye the ratings in America werent that great, I loved it though. Season 2 is probably the best one, season 3 is good too but dissapears up its own arse a fair bit in the first half. They also reach some sort of conclusion which is good, I think Fuller has expressed an interest in revisiting the series when the licences for Silence of The Lambs are availabe, if they went on with another series they most likely would have had to change names and stuff due to the rights to that story not being available at the time. Keep with it though its very good, I now see Mads Mikkelsen's as the best portrayal of Hannibal Lecter.

Last edited:

caid

This.

I watched the first 4 eps of season 3 and couldnt work out if it was all a dream or was actually happening... Its the first time i've gone from "cant wait for the new season" to "i wonder what else is on" so quick
I'd have a hard time putting my finger on what was so poor about it tbh.
But yeah, i really wasn't bothered by it being cancelled after that.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Aye the ratings in America werent that great, I loved it though. Season 2 is probably the best one, season 3 is good too but dissapears up its own arse a fair bit in the first half. They also reach some sort of conclusion which is good, I think Fuller has expressed an interest in revisiting the series when the licences for Silence of The Lambs are availabe, if they went on with another series they most likely would have had to change names and stuff due to the rights to that story not being available at the time. Keep with it though its very good, I now see Mads Mikkelsen's as the best portrayal of Hannibal Lecter.
Yep he's excellent, by the end of the season I had forgotten he was supposed to be the same character as Hopkins/Cox. I'll get on to season 2 this week so.

Gol123

Mouthfull (of) Member
Supports
Chelsea
I'd have a hard time putting my finger on what was so poor about it tbh.
But yeah, i really wasn't bothered by it being cancelled after that.
Way too much visual metaphors and pretentious artsy scenes and not enough sorry advancement. The first 3/4 episodes could've been condensed into 1. It then picks up again to a similar standard as the first two seasons but after he turns himself in it drops back to boring again.

The first season was great. The second season was the best. Especially the season finale.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Rewatching the first season of this for no particular reason.

It certainly has its flaws but the Hannibal/Will arc is excellent. They neatly manage to make Hannibal understated enough (at least compared to prior depictions) for it to be believable that he wouldn't draw suspicion, make Will erratic enough that he would have to draw suspicion and use the very Bryan Fuller visual flourishes to build naturally to Will's epiphany.

All amid a heap of ripe drama, lurid deaths, glaring plot holes and, randomly, Eddie Izzard. Not too shabby as entertainment goes.

As I remember it Season 2 was better again.

spwd

I must admit, I believe Mads Mikkelsen is actually a better Lecter than Hopkins.

(Braces for attacks )

lsd

The Oracle
I must admit, I believe Mads Mikkelsen is actually a better Lecter than Hopkins.

(Braces for attacks )

Brian Cox was better than Hopkins and Mads was better than both

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
I think each Lecter has its merits, and I'm trying to overcome my preferences and just accept that they're all good. Hopkins - for all his showboating - speaks his lines like no other, while Cox and Mikkelsen have that emotionless, 'flat' delivery down pat.

SteveJ

Scout
GRAHAM: "Hi, Hannibal. Do you know what time it is?"

LECTER: "Time is merely a human construct. Indeed, the ancient Greeks humanised it in the form of Chronos, and during the Renaissance he became 'Father Time' wielding his scythe above an endless field of mortal heads. The sands of time fall all too swiftly within his hourglass, reminding us that our lives are the very dust and-"

GRAHAM: "F*ck it, I'll just buy a watch."

LECTER: "Stop emphasising every bloody word. It gets on my bits."

Sweet Square

(Braces for attacks )
I haven't seen the tv show but Hopkins Lecter sort of rubbish, it's a good over the top performance that has some memorable moments but its not at all scary. The idea of Hopkins eating someone liver just seem cartoonish.

I always thought Brian Cox(Not the science guy)Lecter in Manhunter although not on screen for long was terrifying.

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet

(Braces for attacks )
Fully agree. Hopkins was basically playing Dracula style aloofnes and was no where near cerebral. Eddie izzard's character was basically Hopkins style of Hannibal.

SteveJ

Scout
Hopkins plays Lecter as a English aristocrat.
Mikkelsen plays him as an androgynous Helmut Newton model.

Both are somehow apt.

SteveJ

Scout
Finished Hannibal. God, the ending was bloody brilliant.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Rewatching season two now, it is indeed better than the first.

Talented though Fuller is, his stuff is often less than the sum of its parts (see American Gods) so this might be the best single season of something he'll ever manage. Especially given his shows seem to have trouble lasting.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year

This seems like a bad idea.

Not least ‘cos Alex Kurtzman is a fecking hack.

Last edited:

Mockney

Even weirder as Hannibal had planned to do Lambs as their next season arc before being cancelled. Seems really odd to bin Fuller, then give the property to Alex “Transformers/Amazing Spider-Man 2/Tom Cruise Mummy’ Kurtzman. Some people just keep failing upwards.

SteveJ

Scout
I assumed that Miriam was the Clarice character in Hannibal.

Mockney

Last edited:

SteveJ

Scout
I wonder if the show will ever return? I'd like it to.