Hannover 96 vs. United [Preseason Friendly]

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
........vs........

Kick-off: Saturday, 11 August, 7:20 PM BST/8:20 PM local time

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
There's a game before this. Against Peterborough or Aberdeen.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
There's a game before this. Against Peterborough or Aberdeen.
You're right, but I think we're sending the back-ups to Peterborough on Friday. That game isn't listen on the official site preseason schedule or on any of the other websites promoting our preseason tour.

The Neil Simpson testimonial vs Aberdeen is on 14 August 2012.

Should I delete this one and make one for Peterborough instead?

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
Someone better be prepared to take over the actual match day threads when the season starts, I'm not sure I want the responsibility.

VidaRed would make them all if it was up to me, he seems to be the luckiest.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Someone better be prepared to take over the actual match day threads when the season starts, I'm not sure I want the responsibility.

VidaRed would make them all if it was up to me, he seems to be the luckiest.
There's always plenty of people racing to be the first to make a match day thread... I wouldn't worry about that :lol:

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
Hey, I realize how superstitious people are on here, it may not effect results but it might make people hate me!

Okay, probably just the spastics, but they're loud.

Actually you've convinced me, I'll make the Everton thread.

Jaap

Can't go :( Off on holiday tomorrow eases the disappointment though :)

Was looking forward to singing and drinking with fellow Reds!

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
a wife, three kids and Eboue
Reds squad for Hanover

Manchester United will send a strong 19-man squad, including Team GB Olympians Ryan Giggs and Tom Cleverley, to Germany for Saturday’s Chevrolet Cup friendly fixture against Hannover 96.

It’s the final stop on the Reds’ epic DHL Tour 2012, a trip that’s already taken United to South Africa, China, Norway and Sweden.

Hannover 96, who finished seventh in the Bundesliga last season, will provide a further stern test as preparations for the first game of the 2013/14 campaign – against Everton at Goodison Park on Monday 20 August – intensify.

Giggs and Cleverley, fresh from their London 2012 footballing exploits, should get their first taste of United pre-season in the AWD Arena, while youngsters Michael Keane and Robbie Brady gain further Tour 2012 experience.

Saturday's match, which kicks off at 19:20 BST, will be broadcast live to MUTV and MUTV Online subscribers in the UK and Ireland.

ManUtd.com journalist Nick Coppack is travelling with the team and will provide regular updates in the Today In Germany blog.

United squad: De Gea, Lindegaard; Evra, Ferdinand, M Keane, Vidic; Anderson, Bebe, Robbie Brady, Michael Carrick, Tom Cleverley, Ryan Giggs, Nani, Young, Valencia; Berbatov, Hernandez, Kagawa, Rooney.

Levo

Band of Brothers
Surprising they took Giggs & Cleverley, thought they might be at Peterborough tonight.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Where's Danny?
Twitter rubbish saying he's been offered to Arsenal on a one year loan. I can't see that happening, especially as he's in the last year of his contract and I think they only started surfacing after the news of the traveling squad came out.

It is odd that Giggs and Cleverley have gone and Welbeck hasn't though, maybe he's picked up some sort of knock.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
Rooney-Kagawa has just as much, if not more chance of being our best attacking duo ahead of Welbeck-Rooney. Rooney is our best striker, and while he's very good playing behind the main striker he's our best line leader as well. I can see Rooney and Kagawa getting more goals and assist together than Rooney and Welbeck would with Rooney playing behind Welbeck.

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
De Gea
Valencia===Ferdinand===Vidic===Evra
===Nani===Carrick===Cleverley===Young
Kagawa
===Rooney​

Possibly also my line-up for Everton on the 20th, with right-back being the obvious question, which might in turn see Nani replace Young on the left.

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
Indeed; sad consequence of our even-more-famous-at-this-point luck with defensive injuries :(

But a fit Jones for Everton sees Nani move left and Valencia take his rightful number 7 place on the right :devil:

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
Dani Alves plays like a midfielder from the fullback spot, he attacks way more than Busquets, perhaps Valencia can have a similar impact. Having a midfielder at fullback is an interesting way to add some more bite to our attack.

With all the money spent on players it has always surprised me that full back is often the position left for last in the line of considerations. Especially considering that modern tactics mean that the fullbacks are the players that get the most space and time on the ball!

Of course defending is an art of itself, and you can't just stick two midfielders in each spot and expect success, I suppose the problem comes in it being more important to be solid defensively than offensively at fullback.

Case in point, Bosingwa for Chelsea. Better in attack than defense, he gets forward constantly but manages to take part in creating about half as many goals as he takes part in conceding. So what's the point of his creating a few goals if he's going to let in twice as many?

You're generally much better off playing a defensively solid fullback even if he's limited in attack. But Valencia is so solid defensively it might work.

Levo

Band of Brothers
Dani Alves plays like a midfielder from the fullback spot, he attacks way more than Busquets, perhaps Valencia can have a similar impact. Having a midfielder at fullback is an interesting way to add some more bite to our attack.

With all the money spent on players it has always surprised me that full back is often the position left for last in the line of considerations. Especially considering that modern tactics mean that the fullbacks are the players that get the most space and time on the ball!

Of course defending is an art of itself, and you can't just stick two midfielders in each spot and expect success, I suppose the problem comes in it being more important to be solid defensively than offensively at fullback.

Case in point, Bosingwa for Chelsea. Better in attack than defense, he gets forward constantly but manages to take part in creating about half as many goals as he takes part in conceding. So what's the point of his creating a few goals if he's going to let in twice as many?

You're generally much better off playing a defensively solid fullback even if he's limited in attack. But Valencia is so solid defensively it might work.
Difference being Alves only has to defend properly for 2 games a season, we'd be a lot worse off for letting Valencia play like Alves.

He's got the good attributes in pace, crossing and strength but his positioning isn't good enough to be a regular RB. Good option to fill in now and again but not as a regular.

VoetbalWizard

Difference being Alves only has to defend properly for 2 games a season, we'd be a lot worse off for letting Valencia play like Alves.

He's got the good attributes in pace, crossing and strength but his positioning isn't good enough to be a regular RB. Good option to fill in now and again but not as a regular.
yep, as i said in the valencia thread, we could have a poor-man's dani alves on our hands if we kept the ball like barca do. it is rather unfortunate that we don't though because valencia and nani on the same side week in week out would be fecking brilliant.

nemanja15

Hope to see:

de Gea

Valencia
Ferdinand
Vidic
Evra

Nani
Carrick
Anderson
Young

Kagawa
Rooney

SUBS: Lindegaard, M Keane, Brady, Cleverley, Bebe, Giggs, Berbatov, Hernandez.

hungrywing

Fox Soccer Channel. 2 PM EST. I think they made a mistake and listed it as Barca vs MUFC which might be why you missed it. The times match, although they might just be replaying that game.