Happy Birthday Sir Bobby Charlton!

VJ1762

So, today is Sir Bobby Charlton's 82nd birthday. One of the 4 players to win the Ballon d'or at Manchester United, he is widely regarded as the greatest English footballer of all time. I personally feel that he is the benchmark for what a Man Utd player should be. Tremendous talent + work ethic + loyalty.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Happy birthday! I still feel like it's a privilege having him here at United, and love seeing him at games still.

As a player, he's one of my favourites ever to watch. He had the grace and elegance of an Iniesta, coupled with the passing, shooting and general flexibility of a Scholes.

I wish I could find more footage of United/England games during his prime but I find them quite difficult to find for the most part.

RooneyLegend

Happy birthday to the great man. Its important that we remember that the standards set by him and the likes is what we should expect at the club. Love watching his old games, he's almost always the best player on the pitch.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Could score the odd goal from a distance, apparently.

Still my favourite United player.

Happy Birthday and many more to come.
He'd probably be mine if I saw more of him, but from what I have seen he's still up there!
Happy birthday to the great man. Its important that we remember that the standards set by him and the likes is what we should expect at the club. Love watching his old games, he's almost always the best player on the pitch.
Same, and what's incredible is that I agree with you that in the games I've watched he come across as the best player on the pitch quite a fair bit, and more often than not he's on it with the likes of Best, Law and some great opposition in the classic European and International games.

MisterLupus

According to Wiki his birthday was a couple of days back? Anyways - I didn't know either so better late than ever I guess - Happy Birthday Sir Bobby! Never got to see him - way before I saw the light of day - but I've shuffled through enough recordings and listened to enough old-timers to know he earned his hype. Any chance he could come out of retirement? I think he'd make for an improvement up front these days :smirk:

Yagami

Good post resistant
According to Wiki his birthday was a couple of days back? Anyways - I didn't know either so better late than ever I guess - Happy Birthday Sir Bobby! Never got to see him - way before I saw the light of day - but I've shuffled through enough recordings and listened to enough old-timers to know he earned his hype. Any chance he could come out of retirement? I think he'd make for an improvement up front these days :smirk:
Well, this thread was made a couple of days ago! :p

redmanx

Bobby Charlton was poetry in motion, the very epitome of what The Beautiful Game should be.

fergiesarmy1

Bobby Charlton was poetry in motion, the very epitome of what The Beautiful Game should be.
Could you imagine what he could do on the pitches they get to play on today, with the hi tech balls and boots :drool:

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Fair play Bobby. Apparently didn’t get on with Best, and not as much fun as his brother. But a fine footballer, and a gent. Amazing his dedication to the badge.

fergiesarmy1

Fair play Bobby. Apparently didn’t get on with Best, and not as much fun as his brother. But a fine footballer, and a gent. Amazing his dedication to the badge.
They were a different generation, while George was going out on the piss he was going home to the wife.