Hard Decisions need to be made

bsCallout

I agree with this. Martial however should be limited to rotational appearances.

Fred, don't get me started. How can a professional football player not be able to strike a ball cleanly?

GK(4)
AWB ----------- CB(1)----------Maguire------------Shaw
DM(2)-------McTominay
RW(3)-------------Fernandes-------------Rashford
Cavani(5)

Rotation: Henderson, Grant, Telles, Lindelöf, RB(6), Diallo, Greenwood, Mejbri, Hugill, Donny, Martial, Lewitt, Shoretire, Mengi

Sell: DDG, Tuanzebe, Jones, Williams, Pogba, Fred, James, Romero, Bailly, Matic, Mata (Pogba is included here because of his controversy with regard to media and field position. I still don't see room for Bruno and Pogba in the same side)

Buy:
(1) A quick and strong CB with high concentration ability. No need to be "ball-playing", a traditional no-nonsense stopper is good enough
(2) An upgrade on Fred with better passing and shooting ability and good reading of the game. Neves/Rice is a step in the right direction
(3) A skilled winger to provide a much needed balance to our width. Greenwood, Mata and James ain't it, and Diallo isn't there yet. Sancho? Still on the fence. Son is the unrealistic dream
(4) DDG is a decent shot stopper but that's it. It worked when you have high quality CBs like Vidic/Rio ahead of you. Need a VDS type of commanding GK with courage. I'd love it if we give Hendo a chance to tell is if he's the one or not
(5) Somebody to rotate Cavani and Greenwood with. Hugill can step up eventually but all A-level teams need a top notch ST like Haaland
(6) Cover for AWB rotation, preferably somebody that can provide the X factor while making sub appearances. Dani Alves a few years ago would've been nice
I like it.

I'd say both Henderson and Diallo deserve the chance to prove themselves before we get a starting 11 for each of their positions.

I'd get Kasper short term if Henderson doesn't cut the mustard.

CDM & CB are definitely two positions we need first team buys.

Silverman

The worst thing is I still don't have any belief in United doing what needs to be done. To be fair to Ole, he has been good in that regard but its the higher up's that are the problem.

Banana Republic

Just for the record, we’ve already played 8 league games in 2021 (since Jan 1st)
Goals scored....

3 Cavani
3 Martial
3 Bruno (2 were pens)
2 Pogba
2 McTominey
1 AWB
1 Maguire
1 Rashford
1 James

plus 1 o.g. (Bednarek)

pacifictheme

The Rashford one is a strange one to me. He gets loads of criticism for his finishing, including from me, but his return this season has been brilliant. It's not his fault martial was awful for so long. He carried the forward line until cavani got up to speed. If martial had a reasonable return no one would be worried about Rashford.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
I don't think that many hard decisions need to be made. but a few yes:

• We can't long term go on with a Maguire & Lindelof pairing at centre back. They are both so slow, particularly Maguire. But we have seen just how much more solid we look at the back when Bailly plays adding some pace. Obviously, Bailly can't be trusted to stay fit. so we need to buy at least 1 pacey centre back and ship out a few of the ones we have.
  • What do we do about Paul Pogba. His form recently has been great. Theirs no argument on that. So do we then offer him the kind of money he will want to to stay? Personally, for me, it's a no. He has been too inconsistent for too long for it to be worth the risk offer extending his contract. a few months of consistent form don't make up for years inconsistent form, where he has regularly looked uninterested and looks like he has been trying to find any way out of the club possible. Giving him a massive money deal into his 30's would be a stupid mistake in my book and likely end up in an Ozil/Sanchez type scenario.
  • The striker situation. Its become clear Martial and Rashford are not the answer up top. Personally, I don't blame them, playing strikers on the wings for years is 9 time out of 10 going to mess up their development. So what do we do, do we stick with Cavani, who isn't getting any younger? Or do we go out and sign a striker? Well as there are so few decent strikers in world football these days. Unless we can sign Haaland, I would stick with Cavani and give Greenwood as many minutes as possible as a number 9. He looks like our only natural finisher outside of Cavani, so we can't just play him on the wing for the next few years and then go why didn't he develop into a striker!

padzilla

Hipster
I like it.

I'd say both Henderson and Diallo deserve the chance to prove themselves before we get a starting 11 for each of their positions.

I'd get Kasper short term if Henderson doesn't cut the mustard.

CDM & CB are definitely two positions we need first team buys.
Leicester would probably rinse us again like they did with Maguire.

padzilla

Hipster
If we are starting week in week out with DDG and Martial as guaranteed starters regardless of form or merit then we can forget about winning the league anytime soon. There's an argument the same applies to Maguire. The final test for Ole will be whether he has the courage to ship out established big name players that are not performing - he seems to have a blind spot with some players, I am not sure if this isn't down to instructions from Ed. Getting rid of DDG and Martial would send a clear message that your reputation is irrelevant and it's about producing.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
De Gea is a really hard decision, especially for the board if Ole tells them he wants a new keeper because the highest paid gk in the world is not good enough anymore (which is true).

My biggest fear is we are stuck with De Gea and Henderson for the next season (possibly 2 in worst-case-scenario) because I certainly can see De Gea wanting to run down his contract here.

LoneStar

I agree that we need to move DDG on but with his contract, not sure if that's going to happen anytime soon. But at least drop him for a couple of games and see if he can sort it out. We have a decent backup anyway.

We need a CB who can take us to the next level. Was hoping we did that with Maguire, but doesn't look like it. This should be out number 1 priority.

Having another attacker like Sancho or Grealish would also do wonders for the team. Ideally, we'd need to replace Martial, but again, not sure if that's possible from a practical standpoint.

A lot of our problems seem to stem from lack of leadership on the pitch (specially the defence), so again a CB who could command that would do wonders. Think someone like Bruno but in defence.

LoneStar

De Gea is a really hard decision, especially for the board if Ole tells them he wants a new keeper because the highest paid gk in the world is not good enough anymore (which is true).

My biggest fear is we are stuck with De Gea and Henderson for the next season (possibly 2 in worst-case-scenario) because I certainly can see De Gea wanting to run down his contract here.
We have only ourselves to blame here. Should have never given that kind of contract to him (or any keeper in the world for that matter). Let's just hope we learn from our mistakes.

Eire Red United

Henderson and Romero should be ahead of De Gea at this point imo.

Martial is so frustrating because half the time he doesn't look interested but we saw last season when he’s good he’s good. Needs to be a back up option. Cavani absolutely embarrasses him and shows us what a proper striker should be.

I’d give Pogba to the end of the season to prove he wants to stay and deserves a new deal. Best player in the league when he wants to be.

RedDevil@84

No, it's more like, good players need to play next to good players. Who'd have thought it?
Some mumbo jumbo that. One could argue that the keeper would have done better if the defense was good. But we are stuck with Maguire.

bsCallout

Some mumbo jumbo that. One could argue that the keeper would have done better if the defense was good. But we are stuck with Maguire.
Well it's pretty obvious to any one watching what a meal DDG makes of things.

Put Allison, Gomez, Fabinho next to Maguire or Ederson, Stones, Rodri and we would challenge. Swap Maguire for either Dias or VVD and we won't.

Hughie77

Can see a CB coming in , in summer the Rashford just sometimes needs to be a bit greedy in front of goal, decision making is the issue with him. Martial drifts in and out of games, but when hes on it hes on it.
This squad needs strength in depth and bit by bit its getting there. Dalot is on loan he surely comes back in? The under 23s Theres quite a few decent players in there. A Good window in summer and try and get a trophy this season, will see this team push on.

croadyman

Can see a CB coming in , in summer the Rashford just sometimes needs to be a bit greedy in front of goal, decision making is the issue with him. Martial drifts in and out of games, but when hes on it hes on it.
This squad needs strength in depth and bit by bit its getting there. Dalot is on loan he surely comes back in? The under 23s Theres quite a few decent players in there. A Good window in summer and try and get a trophy this season, will see this team push on.
Will we get the CDM we have so badly needed for the last 8 years though is the big question

davidmichael

De Gea needs a kick up the arse and to be dropped so give Henderson a proper run of games, it’ll show us if Henderson is our long term answer at the same time.

Lindelof and Maguire is never going to be a pairing that works no matter how long they’re given together as they don’t cover the others weaknesses and actually make each other worse, it’s clear from watching Maguire play with Bailly and Lindelof play with Tuanzebe that both need to play with a pacey partner so a top class centre back with pace is a must in the summer.

Matic needs to be replaced by another pure out and out defensive midfielder who has lots of stamina to cover all the ground left by Fernandes and Pogba doing their thing further forward as well as shield the centre backs, McTominay nor Fred are that type of player and never will be.

Martial has shown he’s not up to it as our main striker and if we can get something for him whether it be a swap deal or a good offer then we should look at it, he’s had the chances that people (including myself) said he deserves rather than being put out wide on the left.

PieCrust

Not really. Maguire is just a whisker away from a brain feck moment. He can head the ball better I guess. For 80M, at least that is better than Lindelof.
His decision making is average. He is too slow to react and too slow to make up his mind with the ball. He makes the whole defense very scared.

A few games with Bailly hardly means anything. Bailly is kind of a loner. If we put him beside Lindelof, the defense will be more or less at the same level. He will make last min tackles, and some unbelievable decisions.
Maguire is the best defender in the team. Don't honestly know what to say if you think Lindelof and Bailly are on his level.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Swap DDG and Lindelof for people half competent and we will be fine.

Real Name

Its time to make some hard decisions isnt it.

DDG is reaching the end of the road. A fantastic keeper but his decline is all to evident and his performances are costing dearly. It might be time for him to be moved on in the summer time.
Whether Henderson is his replacement is a different discussion but DDG isnt doing it anymore.

Harry Maguire - If this team is to challenge for titles at the top table we need an upgrade on him. He is simply bang average and his mistakes are far too frequent. Not the rock we can build a foundation on. I dont see him being sold but we need a better CB to play alongside him and cover his frequent errors.

Rashford - how many chances does he need to score? He isnt as good as some blinkered fans think. We need an upgrade in his position or at least a viable 2nd player to keep Rashford sharp and make him improve/give him an opportunity to rest.

Martial - Needs to be sold for an upgrade. He doesnt have many supporters left.

If you look at those 4 names you can see a real issue, they are main first 11 players really, and quite alot of experience, but they are just not good enough. Ole has done a good job for the most part in clearing out the deadwood but he's now looking at uncomfortable decision time.

To challenge for a league and CL we need to get better players in key positions and that means hard decisions for the manger.
Tend to agree.
De Gea is done as a world class keeper. His downfall has been going for a while and he's costing us too much points. He even does worldie saves less frequently than before and he's forever glued to his line, very rarely goes for high balls and doesn't commit to challenges (3rd goal vs Everton) and its simply not sustainable. He doesnt have to be Neuer who goes to the centre of the pitch sometimes buy my good, modern keeper isn't just about saving just whats going to the goal but he anticipates situations and when needed brush everything aside, his players or opponent to get the goal. His indecision to commit to challenges or leave the line is frustrating. He's tied to a big contract though so it will be hard to sell him and you cant keep such an expensive keeper on the bench.. Henderson is maybe not an answer, jury is out but he should replace DDG for the time being definitely.

Maguire is an odd one. He can play few really good games and than have a mare or can have a good game overall and suddenly make a brainfart out of nothing or 2. He has improved since he joined and since he was in awful form in the beginning of this season but those brainfarts when he brakes our offside trap or pushes Shaw around really expose him. Wouldn't sell him though but would buy a good, quick CB so they can compliment each other, something similar to Vidić-Rio. Not saying Maguire is as Vidić but in the sense of having 2 types of CB who make a good pair.

Rashford has good statistics especially for such a young guy and has moments of brilliance but sometimes, more often then not recently he has stinkers of games. Also he tends to be selfish, tries to shoot from bad positions or in front of the block, dribbles too much when he should keep it simple or just makes bad decisions when near goal. We should get another striker so he can have competitions or at least can play left winger instead of shifting positions all the time. Getting a RW should help with that too.

Martial I'd sell. He reached his peak and I dont think he can be any better. I dont know if it's his attitude or his qualities or both but he's a frustrating player and doesn't even have statistics on his side. Some of his games I was going mad watching, he played like he doesnt want to be there or play, was strolling around or was occupying completely absurd positions as if he doesnt want the ball. Doing everything half heart and even when that's not the case and he's commited he's misses chance after chance, easy ones or hard. We definitely need an upgrade on him.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Maguire is an odd one. He can play few really good games and than have a mare or can have a good game overall and suddenly make a brainfart out of nothing or 2. He has improved since he joined and since he was in awful form in the beginning of this season but those brainfarts when he brakes our offside trap or pushes Shaw around really expose him. Wouldn't sell him though but would buy a good, quick CB so they can compliment each other, something similar to Vidić-Rio. Not saying Maguire is as Vidić but in the sense of having 2 types of CB who make a good pair.
Can you name a few examples of those situations? Personally I think the opinion of him being mistake-prone is overblown. The bit about offside traps is especially weird as he's never the last defender.

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21
Can you name a few examples of those situations? Personally I think the opinion of him being mistake-prone is overblown. The bit about offside traps is especially weird as he's never the last defender.
These are some of the mistakes off the top of my head

Tackling Shaw vs Spurs
Standing still against Norwich
Getting rinsed by Ndobele vs Spurs
Giving the ball away in our 6 yard box against City
Rushing out vs Palace leaving Zaha unmarked to score
Embarrassing himself vs Bournemouth last year
Getting bullied vs Newcastle last year

He literally played Everton on for their equalizer last game.

Real Name

I mentioned 2 in the post, he broke the offside trap vs Everton and I remember he guarded and pushed Shaw in one game which was a bit bizarre. Sometimes he's in positions where hes not covering anyone nor can he defend anything.
I don't think he's mistake prone sometimes it's like he switches of.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
I agree that we need to move DDG on but with his contract, not sure if that's going to happen anytime soon. But at least drop him for a couple of games and see if he can sort it out. We have a decent backup anyway.

We need a CB who can take us to the next level. Was hoping we did that with Maguire, but doesn't look like it. This should be out number 1 priority.

Having another attacker like Sancho or Grealish would also do wonders for the team. Ideally, we'd need to replace Martial, but again, not sure if that's possible from a practical standpoint.

A lot of our problems seem to stem from lack of leadership on the pitch (specially the defence), so again a CB who could command that would do wonders. Think someone like Bruno but in defence.
Agreed. We need a Ferdinand or Vidic in CB. This team is crying out for an authoritative non-nonsense type of player in defence. Either way, our defence cannot revolve around Maguire. His lack of pace is a major hindrance.

Tarrou

all our players can contribute and we shouldn't keep writing them off, honestly its a joke people are writing off Rashford

you don't need to be world class to contribute in a title winning squad.. a lot of Liverpools current squad weren't that highly rated until Klopp got hold of them

some will improve and become integral to the first team (like Shaw did)

others won't and will be shipped out or make they way down the pecking order to squad status

what is needed is an environment where they can succeed and given time to do so, not this slash and burn mentality we've festered since Fergie left

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Just don't agree to be honest.

Our team have scored enough. Cavani will still be with us next season.

Maguire is good enough but is exposed by a lack of a top GK, CB or CDM around him.

Both Rashford and Martial aren't even in their prime. We also have Greenwood who will be looked to get that CF spot. Diallo will add a better balance at RW.

The players you should have listed imo are:
DDG
LINDELOF
FRED
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Good one!

bsCallout

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Good one!
So we have good players in those positions then do we? We have the most average CB in the league in Lindelof and we don't even have a CDM. Our GK hasn't come for a ball in his life. Yet we expect Maguire to prevent everything, get out of here.

Josep Dowling

I think we need to give Henderson a chance as first team goalie.

Martial needs to be challenging with Rashford for LW and buy in a decent striker. Ideally Haaland if we could get him. Not sure he will want to join us though.

Sign a CB partner for Maguire. Would like someone to replace Matic but I don’t think we are desperate for a DM.

Give Diallo a chance on the right.

kaiser00

DDG just needs a solid defense in front. Replace Lindlof with a vocal, agressive, speed merchant and we'll be alright. Now lets find one...easy!!

Fitchett

DDG just needs a solid defense in front. Replace Lindlof with a vocal, agressive, speed merchant and we'll be alright. Now lets find one...easy!!
No, the back four need a keeper who comes off his line, catches crosses and commands his area. A keeper who we already have in Henderson.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
all our players can contribute and we shouldn't keep writing them off, honestly its a joke people are writing off Rashford

you don't need to be world class to contribute in a title winning squad.. a lot of Liverpools current squad weren't that highly rated until Klopp got hold of them

some will improve and become integral to the first team (like Shaw did)

others won't and will be shipped out or make they way down the pecking order to squad status

what is needed is an environment where they can succeed and given time to do so, not this slash and burn mentality we've festered since Fergie left
Martial is here how long ? How much more time should he get?
I used to hear the same line about plenty of players in the past. VDBeek might deserve a bit of time.
Martial is what he is at this point.

Tarrou

Martial is here how long ? How much more time should he get?
I used to hear the same line about plenty of players in the past. VDBeek might deserve a bit of time.
Martial is what he is at this point.
And he’s already slipped down the pecking order despite having a good season last year, so I don’t see any issue with how he’s being managed. If he doesn’t improve on this season he won’t last long.