Hargreaves vs. Carrick, Feadingseagulls vs. Noodle, Chief (Bayern Fan!) vs. Logic

Status
Not open for further replies.

reddevilcanada

I agree about Carrick starting most of our games, because he's earned it based on his recent form.

Hargreaves may well turn out to be a waste of money, but I would question the logic of making that conclusion when he hasn't even been with us for a full season.
fair point, but he's still expected to do more than just OK in Europe, if he's considered to be in the same class as gattuso, etc, especially since that's what he was mainly bought for and all the hargo-fans banging on about his CL experience and what not

Instant Karma

Closet Gooner
Hargreaves did next to sod all defensively. Except fouls someone on the edge of our box, and nearly cost us a goal by falling asleep at a corner
Oh...maybe Juninho decided to go missing on his own or was he tracking the brilliant runs that Scholes/Anderson was making ? He was taken out of the game by Hargreaves and would have humiliated us if Carrick had started.

It has been proved often enough and thats the reason why Hargreaves starts ahead of him and will start ahead of him.

Nucks

RT History Department
We should always play...A two man midfield - bar wingers -, of Carrick and either Scholes/Anderson.

Hargreaves cant play with his head up and Carrick is ten times better in the hold as he can dictate the play, Hargreaves cant do this. Im sorry but I think it was a complete waste of money.
Right because Carrick has been stellar ALL season. Oh wait he hasn't. He was a dog until recently and frankly I don't see why people are wanking over him now.

He loses us possession more than any other player on the pitch with the exception of perhaps Ronaldo.

If Hargreaves started launching a hail mary every time he touched the ball I bet once or twice a month he would setup a goal too.

Carricks second touch today he gave the ball away. It took all of what 30 seconds for him to force a pass that was cut out and could have launched a counter attack for Lyon had they not botched it.

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
We would have won comfortably if Rooney was a half decent finisher
You seem to be forgetting that many players wouldn't have even thought about controlling it in the manner he did. It's surprising he even got the chance to be one on one with the keeper.

Cold_Boy

You seem to be forgetting that many players wouldn't have even thought about controlling it in the manner he did. It's surprising he even got the chance to be one on one with the keeper.
Although he needs to improve his finishing ,agreed.

Nucks

RT History Department
Rooneys ability to create chances has never been questioned.

His finishing of late however has been totally dire. Shocking.

Rooney is probably my favorite player on the planet and you'd have to be stevie fecking wonder to not see how poor his finishing has been.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Anyone who thinks we had a single player who passed the ball badly tonight or thinsk we played ppor football tonigh before the substitutes came on is an absolute fool. Thus declares the chief. Whether you agree or not:cool:
Football. It's all about opinions. There's not need to start calling people "fools".

Also, you look at the debate too simplistically. No one is saying Hargreaves cannot pass the ball. The general consensus is that he takes to long to make the pass and he is not incisive enough. Carrick is better at it.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Have you totally lost it? Did we dominate our away games in the CL before he came and now he's fecked it up? We conceded one away goal, I forgot we have never done that with Carrick or Fletcher playing!?!

What's really your gripe with him? He's a great addition to the squad, last season it was glaring we needed a holding midfield player, Hargreaves is a good one, sadly he isn't being given the same sort of chance to settle in as other players.
We always play the same stupid fecking system in Europe, and it never works.

The argument has been that Hargreaves would somehow change that.

He's not going to

Im sorry i totally disagree. So the fact he was hated by England fans but was then voted player of the World Cup for England means nothing then?

He was fantastic for Bayern and will be for United. He needs a season and i reckon that he will prove just how good he is.
England fans disliked him prior to the Portugal game, due to his mostly very poor performances.

Bayern Munich arn't very good

We would have won comfortably if Rooney was a half decent finisher
No we wouldn't

so Fergie knows nothing about football?
Christ

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Oh...maybe Juninho decided to go missing on his own or was he tracking the brilliant runs that Scholes/Anderson was making ? He was taken out of the game by Hargreaves and would have humiliated us if Carrick had started.

It has been proved often enough and thats the reason why Hargreaves starts ahead of him and will start ahead of him.
Ignore that Noodle fellow. Speaking to him about Hargreaves is like speaking to a wall. He wont listen or grasp a thing

Scholesy

Right because Carrick has been stellar ALL season. Oh wait he hasn't. He was a dog until recently and frankly I don't see why people are wanking over him now.

He loses us possession more than any other player on the pitch with the exception of perhaps Ronaldo.

If Hargreaves started launching a hail mary every time he touched the ball I bet once or twice a month he would setup a goal too.

Carricks second touch today he gave the ball away. It took all of what 30 seconds for him to force a pass that was cut out and could have launched a counter attack for Lyon had they not botched it.
An off par Carrick still suits us much better than Hargreaves

Instant Karma

Closet Gooner

Great post....Carrick came on and his first 4 passes were all Hollywood balls that werent even close to any of our players. One great pass to Nani against Arsenal in about a million attempts this season and he is the dogs bollocks. Is that the only goal scoring chance he has created all season ?

London_Red

I exist
England fans disliked him prior to the Portugal game, due to his mostly very poor performances.

Bayern Munich arn't very good
Bayerns werent that poor and i see that you have ignored my point about him being voted best player of the tournament for England.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
I thought he was awful today , he offers nothing like Carrick, Scholes or Anderson going forward and I think Carrick offers the defence as much protection, in a much economical manner. 4-4-2 for me with Carrick partnered by either Scholes or Anderson depending on the game.

Nucks

RT History Department
An off par Carrick still suits us much better than Hargreaves
I disagree. I think our offensive problems are far deeper than any one player. I'll keep them to myself because I'd be called a blasphemer ;p

Feed Me

I'm hungry
It's pretty simple really - Carrick-Scholes = Premier League champions. For one reason and another, that pairing has been disrupted this season and it has cost us a little bit.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
I thought he was OK, look what happened in the 26 minutes, Benzema got the ball on the break, we had two players against him, Hargreaves chased Benzema and took the ball. Thats what he is all about.
No one is denying his quality in those aspects.

But to me there is a deep underlying problem with United's team when we play 4-5-1. Rooney is isolated up front. He needs support up front and the natural move is to take Hargreaves out of the side as his attacking contribution is minimal.

reddevilcanada

I think the expectations are too high for hargreaves. He isn't in the same class as DMs or holding midfielders like Cambiasso or De Rossi, he isn't even as good as Gattuso (watch the Bayern-Milan quarterfinal in Germany last season). He isn't shit either though, that's for sure.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Hargreaves did ok today. He did exactly what he was bought for, to shield the defense.

I cannot for the life of me understand all the Hargreaves bashing that goes on in this forum.

He is an excellent addition to our squad and gives our midfield options the perfect balance.
agree. those who post otherwise just denonstrate their ignorance. Total muppets

Mozza

It’s Carrick you know
Scholes should not be playing either, he hasn't the pace to keep up anymore, Anderson and Carrick have the best balance of abilities for the team.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
I thought he was OK, look what happened in the 26 minutes, Benzema got the ball on the break, we had two players against him, Hargreaves chased Benzema and took the ball. Thats what he is all about.
If defence is what he is all about (which i personally think is abominable in a player outside of the actual defence) then his sloppiness in the tackle in our third while playing against such a reknowned dead ball expert in inexcusable

Instant Karma

Closet Gooner
I thought he was awful today , he offers nothing like Carrick, Scholes or Anderson going forward and I think Carrick offers the defence as much protection, in a much economical manner. 4-4-2 for me with Carrick partnered by either Scholes or Anderson depending on the game.
:lol:

The Real president felt Guti had a great passing range and offered defence as much protection as Makelele but in a more economical manner. We all know how that worked out.

Plechazunga

Grammar partisan who sleeps with a real life Ryan
Where Albert Stubbins scored a diving header
I thought Hargreaves did alright tonight. The problem, or rather, the reason we didn't pass it as well as usual, was the one man up front thing.

It doesn't work. We could get the same effect simply by hitting Wayne Rooney over the head with a tray of drinks for ninety minutes.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
No one is denying his quality in those aspects.

But to me there is a deep underlying problem with United's team when we play 4-5-1. Rooney is isolated up front. He needs support up front and the natural move is to take Hargreaves out of the side as his attacking contribution is minimal.
yes, I thought exactly the same thing when we played the same formation vs Arsenal at the weekend. way too defensive :houllier:

Status
Not open for further replies.