Hargreaves vs. Carrick, Feadingseagulls vs. Noodle, Chief (Bayern Fan!) vs. Logic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sam

I think the expectations are too high for hargreaves. He isn't in the same class as DMs or holding midfielders like Cambiasso or De Rossi, he isn't even as good as Gattuso (watch the Bayern-Milan quarterfinal in Germany last season). He isn't shit either though, that's for sure.
Well then, why the feck have we paid £18 million for him ?!!

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Bayerns werent that poor and i see that you have ignored my point about him being voted best player of the tournament for England.
If United were as good as Bayern were with Hargreaves, we wouldn't by our standards have been very good.

The England thing is a weak point, as you know.

Gareth Barry's the current England midfield hero. Lets sign him for 20 million pounds, and play him instead of someone who's miles better

Nucks

RT History Department
It's pretty simple really - Carrick-Scholes = Premier League champions. For one reason and another, that pairing has been disrupted this season and it has cost us a little bit.
Excellent logic. Scholes is actually aging in reverse and nobody else is improving.

Arsenal despite their woeful performance on Sat surely haven't improved.

The moment you become complacent is the moment you fall behind.

We should always be looking to upgrade. Is Hargreaves an upgrade? In certain aspects he absolutely is. Part of the keys of success if flexibility.

Carrick is a great player when he can sit back and pick less gifted teams apart. He has been SHOCKING when played as part of a two man midfield against teams with individual players that have the skills to skin him.

Hargreaves may be unnecessary against weaker teams but he wasn't brought here to play in the games we won last year. He was brought here to help us win the games we lost last year.

The problem is that we will lack some creativity when he plays against weaker teams because he does indeed need to stretch his legs once in awhile. It would be extremely short sighted for anyone to slate him if he came on for the first time in a month for a tough CL fixture and wasn't up to snuff. Thats why he has to get regular first team action, if he doesn't then there should be absolutely no expectation placed on him to perform in Europe.

Then we can go back to Carrick being made to look foolish by the likes of Kaka.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
yes, I thought exactly the same thing when we played the same formation vs Arsenal at the weekend. way too defensive :houllier:
come on it was not the same tactical approach at all , you're just being silly now ... we were all about flooding arsenals third , a rampage from the whistle; tonight was about getting a draw or maybe nicking a win in a controlled disciplined manner

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
to completely dismiss any argument is a trifle arrogant
no its not. Not in this case. C'mon have abit of respect for the guy. He has played a side as successful as United for the passed few years.

Amateur pundit analysis is one trying but to denegrade him like some are doing ... well says more about them than Hargreaves really.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
:lol:

The Real president felt Guti had a great passing range and offered defence as much protection as Makelele but in a more economical manner. We all know how that worked out.
But we were successful in Carrick's first season. You make out as though we have been awful since he joined us.

M160RA

fair point, but he's still expected to do more than just OK in Europe, if he's considered to be in the same class as gattuso, etc, especially since that's what he was mainly bought for and all the hargo-fans banging on about his CL experience and what not
Maybe those expectations aren't realistic for a player who is new to the club and has only started around 13 games. Keep in mind that he was injured for most of last season, and so he probably needs time to get back to his best.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
I was thinking about Hargreaves' performance on my way home from the pub. Individually, his performance was okay. He was energetic, looked to stifle Lyon and generally won his confrontations. But he is not a player that fits in United's system. He takes too long to release possession and too often he plays a backwards pass. The flow of the team is so much better with Carrick in the side as the ball moves through midfield much faster.
There was nothing wrong with the flow of the team tonight. We just didn't take our chances!

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
I thought Hargreaves did alright tonight. The problem, or rather, the reason we didn't pass it as well as usual, was the one man up front thing.

It doesn't work. We could get the same effect simply by hitting Wayne Rooney over the head with a tray of drinks for ninety minutes
It's bizarre yet our team will still insist on twatting 60 yard balls up to him. There comes a time when some individuals need to use their brain a bit and realise that no matter how strong he is, he is not a tall lad.
Surely it's not to hard to realise that Rooney plays his best football when the ball's on the deck?

Feed Me

I'm hungry
yes, I thought exactly the same thing when we played the same formation vs Arsenal at the weekend. way too defensive :houllier:
Different personel for us.
Different opposition - in the Champions League; away.

Whatever. Fact is, we look a better side with Rooney and Tevez together.

Sam

I'm not Fergie, but if you expect us to sign the likes of De Rossi for 20 million instead, you're deluded.
I'd rather we had bought a player that was worth the money, or at least close to being worth the money, and in a position that was needed!

:houllier:
Football. It's all about opinions. There's not need to start calling people "fools"..
If football was merely about opnions poeple woudlnt accept thing like Best were all time greats. Some thing are not just opinion down to opinion. Anyone with eyes can't claim we played poorly or hada poor player on picth tonight. unless theri are natural liars!

Also, you look at the debate too simplistically. No one is saying Hargreaves cannot pass the ball.
Really?:lol:

You must have missed this then:
Freaky Jim said:
normal Hargreaves

he needs about thousand touches to control the ball and his passing...let's just not talk about it.

The general consensus is that he takes to long to make the pass and he is not incisive enough. Carrick is better at it.
That concesus is only amongst the Hagreaves hating brigade. His job is to pass to more attack minded players or player in better attacking positosn than him. A thing He did this all night with accuracy, at one time feeding Brown a wonderful cross field long abll that Brown crossed into the 18 that provided a good chance for us that Coupet saved. .He lost the Losing the ball once tonight. Yet people are coming on here to claim he was shit or did nothing. Worse still the want him to pass a ball like Carrick. A freaking play maker. How clever:rolleyes:

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
I'd rather we had bought a player that was worth the money, or at least close to being worth the money, and in a position that was needed!
yes, and that is why you are not manager at MUFC and SAF is!!

noodlehair

"It's like..."
I thought Hargreaves did alright tonight. The problem, or rather, the reason we didn't pass it as well as usual, was the one man up front thing.

It doesn't work. We could get the same effect simply by hitting Wayne Rooney over the head with a tray of drinks for ninety minutes.
Yes, the system's flawed

but the supposed hidden abilities of Hargreaves were to be released in European games, and make the system work, supposedly.

Another six years and people might start admitting it's not gong to work

reddevilcanada

Maybe those expectations aren't realistic for a player who is new to the club and has only started around 13 games. Keep in mind that he was injured for most of last season, and so he probably needs time to get back to his best.
unfortunately, that's the type of player he is, a very injury-prone one, I agree with the point about him needing time to adjust to the Permier League, but he's played long enough with Bayern to know enough about the CL, and that's why he was bought for, so he's got the experience in the CL for that to be a non-issue.

btw, was this hargreave's first game for us in the CL this season?

Sam

yes, and that is why you are not manager at MUFC and SAF is!!
Yep, because it's not cost us at all having only 2 strikers and having to rotate the team and change a winning formula, just to accommodate £18 million Owen Hargreaves.

M160RA

It doesn't work. We could get the same effect simply by hitting Wayne Rooney over the head with a tray of drinks for ninety minutes.
Good point, Plech. I lost count of the number of times the ball would be hoofed forwards towards Rooney, only for Boumsong or Squillaci to head it away. He's simply not cut out for the role when the team as a whole is playing conservatively; against Arsenal he was getting better service and he was getting a lot more support from Anderson, Nani, Fletcher, etc.

I remember a couple of times Rooney received the ball about 30 yards out, but there was no one available for him to pass to. Ronaldo having a pretty poor game didn't help either.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Excellent logic. Scholes is actually aging in reverse and nobody else is improving.

Arsenal despite their woeful performance on Sat surely haven't improved.

The moment you become complacent is the moment you fall behind.

I'm not trying to say that. My point is, we play our best football with players of a certain ilk or style.

We should always be looking to upgrade. Is Hargreaves an upgrade? In certain aspects he absolutely is. Part of the keys of success if flexibility.

Hargreaves has done nothing thus far that suggests to me he is an upgrade. What has he improved?

Carrick is a great player when he can sit back and pick less gifted teams apart. He has been SHOCKING when played as part of a two man midfield against teams with individual players that have the skills to skin him.

Carrick has had good performances against Chelsea, Arsenal and Roma in the past year.

Hargreaves may be unnecessary against weaker teams but he wasn't brought here to play in the games we won last year. He was brought here to help us win the games we lost last year.

The problem is that we will lack some creativity when he plays against weaker teams because he does indeed need to stretch his legs once in awhile. It would be extremely short sighted for anyone to slate him if he came on for the first time in a month for a tough CL fixture and wasn't up to snuff. Thats why he has to get regular first team action, if he doesn't then there should be absolutely no expectation placed on him to perform in Europe.

Then we can go back to Carrick being made to look foolish by the likes of Kaka.

So short sighted to blame Carrick for Kaka's performance last season. You seem to forget our decimated backfour. You seem to forget Judas and Evra taking each other out. You seem to forget that the whole team was outplayed in the San Siro. Not just Carrick.

ILBB15

Annoying Commie
It's bizarre yet our team will still insist on twatting 60 yard balls up to him. There comes a time when some individuals need to use their brain a bit and realise that no matter how strong he is, he is not a tall lad.
Surely it's not to hard to realise that Rooney plays his best football when the ball's on the deck?
We can look look at this from a different perspective, there's another reason we hit long balls. Even if the defender clears it away I've noticed in some of our games(especially at home) we win many of the 2nd balls and establish ourselves close to their box and can then start to pass it around and put pressure on the opponents.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
:lol:

The Real president felt Guti had a great passing range and offered defence as much protection as Makelele but in a more economical manner. We all know how that worked out.
he was also accused of releasing makelele because he didn't like him, either way it's irrelevant they are different people , we didn't need someone to 'just tackle' to win the championship last year. it's unfair to hang Carrick for the Milan performances and not to laud him for the Roma ones.

Divine

Hargreaves had a decent game - no need to single him out.

I'm still waiting for him to really step up though, and grab the game by the scruff of the neck. You know, the kind of thing Gattuso does when he goes headfirst into the war and fires up both the crowd and his team (and he's a limited player too).
A bit too many decent games so far - not enough great ones.

I won't judge him until he gets a substantial injury free run though, he's at a new club and he's not been fully fit.

It's called opinions Chief.

I think your opinion on Hargreaves is BS - do I insult you?
Pretty much yes. Because people like me have given people like you solid evidence time and again that disproves your baseless theories about Hagreaves. Yet your Hargreaves bashing never seizes! You even watch a game like tonight's, with your own eyes, in which we play very well, are very unlucky to get only a draw and you still come up with Hargreaves is shit comments. When that happens I read between the lines and know you think people liek me are talking bullshit and are fools. Unlike you however I don't hide such thoughts like you clearly do..

Instant Karma

Closet Gooner
Next Roy Keane ? Everyone talks as if Roy Keane destroyed teams in Europe and helped us win several Champions league trophies.

He has the same number of CL medals as Hargreaves at the end of the day in spite of being a far superior player in a far superior team

M160RA

unfortunately, that's the type of player he is, a very injury-prone one, I agree with the point about him needing time to adjust to the Permier League, but he's played long enough with Bayern to know enough about the CL, and that's why he was bought for, so he's got the experience in the CL for that to be a non-issue.
Having CL match experience is irrelevant when you haven't had time to settle into the team. I don't think Hargreaves has played too many games with the same players in midfield or when we've played the same shape. These could factor into how well he performs.

btw, was this hargreave's first game for us in the CL this season?
It's his first start, IIRC.

Nucks

RT History Department
yes that was obviously Carricks fault
If Hargreaves is held accountable for shit he isn't responsible for then Carrick should be as well.

It is a two way street and that is why some of us are getting so fed up with the constant Hargreaves bashing. Hargreaves doesn't do anything wrong yet he is a scapegoat.

Carrick can be cut to ribbons by Kaka, it is irrelevant if it was his "fault" or not and he gets no flak.

Carrick can play his long passes all over the park and have 99.999% of them cut out losing us possession and cheating us of any sort of buildup play, which coincidently is what we are best at, and this is ignored because once a month we score a goal from it.

Carrick can stand around and get passed by or run by and as long as he makes one interception off of a shocking pass and he has amazing positional sense.

Hargreaves can make a 90 yard run to track down a Spurs player, stop him only to have him play the ball forward with his fecking hand to Lennon who then sets up a goal and it is Hargreaves fault.

Hargreaves can truck around breaking up attacks, running people down, clearing the ball off the goal line in almost sure fire tap in goals and he gets hammered because he commits a foul in a dangerous area.

Very few people see the plethora of things Hargreaves does for us, but they will jump all over him for not singlehandedly keeping a clean sheet in every game.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
:houllier:If football was merely about opnions poeple woudlnt accept thing like Best were all time greats. Some thing are not just opinion down to opinion. Anyone with eyes can't claim we played poorly or hada poor player on picth tonight. unless theri are natural liars!

Really?:lol:

You must have missed this then:

That concesus is only amongst the Hagreaves hating brigade. His job is to pass to more attack minded players or player in better attacking positosn than him. A thing He did this all night with accuracy, at one time feeding Brown a wonderful cross field long abll that Brown crossed into the 18 that provided a good chance for us that Coupet saved. .He lost the Losing the ball once tonight. Yet people are coming on here to claim he was shit or did nothing. Worse still the want him to pass a ball like Carrick. A freaking play maker. How clever:rolleyes:
Head. Banging. Brick wall.

Hargreaves can pass the ball. But it is not his forte. He takes too long to pass the ball. Our play becomes to methodical.

Carrick has proven himself. He dovetailed with Scholes and helped us win the title after 3 or 4 years. That is a good enough reccomendation for me.

United has never played (in the Fergie Era) with a pure destroying midfielder whose job it is to break up play - United's philosophy is based on attacking, incisive football and by having a Hargreaves in the side we are handicapping ourselves in attack. Robson - a very accomplished player with the ball. Same with Keane. Essentially, Hargreaves is too basic.

Status
Not open for further replies.