Harry Kane | "I will be staying at Tottenham this summer and will be 100% focused on helping the team achieve success."

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Harry Kane should sack his agent. If there's even a chance you might want to leave your club in the near future, why sign a six year deal?

That contract makes Kane unaffordable for pretty much everyone who might be interested in him.

His agent should have said to him, Harry don't sign it. You've got a contract with years to run. Lets see where things are in 12-18 months and decide what we want to do. Or if you're going to sign, maybe four years not six.

The man's trapped.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
In a post-covid world, the most Spurs could hope for is 120-130 million I would think. A fee which only about 3 clubs could manage to pay.

Even if they received that fee, is it enough to basically condemn themselves to be a Europa League team without their star man and main source of goals? Just to try and service a small amount of their debt.

Levy made his bed when he sat by for 5 years as Pochettino overachieved year after year, offering him no investment whatsoever instead of slowly selling players like Alderweireld, Dier, Rose, Eriksen, Alli etc... at a high and building a young, hungry squad.

He just sat there and allowed players to drop in value, get older, lose form and finally, lose the manager responsible for their CL period.

It was a fatal error and means they are almost totally reliant on Kane in 2021.

Gandalf

In a post-covid world, the most Spurs could hope for is 120-130 million I would think. A fee which only about 3 clubs could manage to pay.

Even if they received that fee, is it enough to basically condemn themselves to be a Europa League team without their star man and main source of goals? Just to try and service a small amount of their debt.

Levy made his bed when he sat by for 5 years as Pochettino overachieved year after year, offering him no investment whatsoever instead of slowly selling players like Alderweireld, Dier, Rose, Eriksen, Alli etc... at a high and building a young, hungry squad.

He just sat there and allowed players to drop in value, get older, lose form and finally, lose the manager responsible for their CL period.

I think they would bite your hand off for that. Right now, even with their star man, they are not looking a safe bet to be playing any European football next year as they have an excellent chance of ending up behind Everton.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Harry Kane should sack his agent. If there's even a chance you might want to leave your club in the near future, why sign a six year deal?

That contract makes Kane unaffordable for pretty much everyone who might be interested in him.

His agent should have said to him, Harry don't sign it. You've got a contract with years to run. Lets see where things are in 12-18 months and decide what we want to do. Or if you're going to sign, maybe four years not six.

The man's trapped.
I agree. Absurd to have signed such a long contract if he genuinely has such high ambitions. Spurs don't have the financial power to consistently challenge for big trophies.

Maluco

I think they would bite your hand off for that. Right now, even with their star man, they are not looking a safe bet to be playing any European football next year as they have an excellent chance of ending up behind Everton.
I am not sure they would. If you take Kane and Son out of that Spurs team, they are painfully average. Kane is at the center of almost everything good they do going forward.

If he stays and they luck out with a good manager and a good signing or two, his goals are valuable enough to get them back in the mix.

If they sell him, what manager is going to get that squad back into the CL?

youmeletsfly

I am not sure they would. If you take Kane and Son out of that Spurs team, they are painfully average. Kane is at the center of almost everything good they do going forward.

If he stays and they luck out with a good manager and a good signing or two, his goals are valuable enough to get them back in the mix.

This nails it.
Them selling Kane would be suicidal. They'd remove 30 goals and 10 assists per season in already a quite average team with no reliable backup for him.
I don't know if you sell your star striker when you don't even have a decent second option. Yes, they'd get 100-140 mil for him, but more than half of that would need to be invested in a replacement, the risk is way too high.

Gandalf

They are not getting back in the CL any time soon and their finances are dire. I doubt Spurs will be able to stay ahead of Everton, Villa, Arsenal etc. and that is before you consider the current top 4. They look like a mid table team at best for a few seasons now and probably the fastest way to get out of that rut is to sell their biggest asset and hope they can bring in 2 or 3 cheaper, younger players who will help them kick on but that requires some really good recruitment and a lot of luck.

Oldyella

You lot would be mad if you don't even attempt to sign him. Especially if man City are sniffing around him too.
Agreed. Any club that could afford him should at least be tapping up his agent to sound out interest. Dealing with Levy is a pain in the ass though.

Lemansky

My understanding is that supporters have not yet taken in the reality of the pandemic. No club gonna pay 120 million for Kane. It ain’t gonna happen. And if someone did bid that in this market, Spurs would sell without thinking about it.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
I’d rather fix the right wing, he isn’t getting any younger and now seemingly wants to be the player who starts the attacks on the halfway line. For what you’d have to pay it would mean all our other issues would remain exactly the same.

cjj

Supports
Spurs

I regularly read "I don't pay attention to spurs, but..." stuff on here that is absurd, but this is a cracker.

So Levy made mistake by not selling Poch's favourite players from under him.

RIGHT

lilcurt

If we can't get Haaland, then Kane would be my 2nd option.
If I can't lure Beyonce from Jay Z, I'll take Miss America as my second choice.

Mate, we ain't a part of these conversations. As a club we have fallen out of that top talent bracket in terms of both allure and the money we are willing to spend.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Always find it somewhat funny that Spurs players talk about trophies but it's not like they didn't have plenty of chances to win it with Spurs.

They had a shot at the PL in 2016, lost a couple of FA Cup semi-finals, lost the CL final, lost the EFL Cup final this year.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight

Mate, we ain't a part of these conversations. As a club we have fallen out of that top talent bracket in terms of both allure and the money we are willing to spend.
If fans say this often enough, maybe one day it will be true. That is absolute nonsense and based upon nothing that happens in the real world, just the narrative/storyline of the soap that is football.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline

Such a load of rubbish, we are literally in the conversation for world class players like Sancho and Haaland.

Maluco

They are not getting back in the CL any time soon and their finances are dire. I doubt Spurs will be able to stay ahead of Everton, Villa, Arsenal etc. and that is before you consider the current top 4. They look like a mid table team at best for a few seasons now and probably the fastest way to get out of that rut is to sell their biggest asset and hope they can bring in 2 or 3 cheaper, younger players who will help them kick on but that requires some really good recruitment and a lot of luck.
They have had a terrible season under a past it manager and they are only 5 points off top 4 right now!

They will definitely not be writing it off. As the post above said, you are respending most of that cash to get 30 goals and 10 assists, not to mention some semblance of leadership, back into the team.

They won’t want to risk it and will feel like they are a better manager and 1 or 2 players away from the top 4, whether that’s true or not.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
My understanding is that supporters have not yet taken in the reality of the pandemic. No club gonna pay 120 million for Kane. It ain’t gonna happen. And if someone did bid that in this market, Spurs would sell without thinking about it.
They might take player swaps though e.g. Lingard or Martial. I wonder what cash they'd want if we offered those 2 in exchange.

Scarlett Dracarys

( . Y . )

It's not certain you'll get Miss America either.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Take Rashford and Bruno out of United and we would be average though. Bruno is at the centre of almost everything good United do going forward.

Same can be said for Salah and Liverpool, Messi and Barca, Ronaldo and Juve, Haaland and Dortmund etc. Most teams have a star or 2 that take the teams to the next level.

This nails it.
Them selling Kane would be suicidal. They'd remove 30 goals and 10 assists per season in already a quite average team with no reliable backup for him.
I don't know if you sell your star striker when you don't even have a decent second option.
30 goals and 10 assists would be more like 15 goals and 5 assists as they would have a new striker that would realistically half of Kanes numbers or slightly better. It's not like they would sell him without replacement targets in mind.

Lewnited

I don't think we have even the slightest chance in signing him, but he'd absolutely be my dream signing if I had to pick one player right now. The way we set up with two inside forwards is a perfect match for Kane in the role he's been playing this season. Comfortably more so than someone like Haaland, who likely wouldn't have much to feed off in the same way that Cavami hasn't. I could see Kane elevating both Rashford and Greenwood to another level.

Ventura

Well I facepalmed when he signed that contract and had he asked me first I could have palmed his face too and stopped him because that was an obvious mistake. He's levels above the rest of Spurs and should have realized that. Having said that, we shouldn't go anywhere near him for the quoted prices at this stage of his career.

dove

I’d rather fix the right wing, he isn’t getting any younger and now seemingly wants to be the player who starts the attacks on the halfway line. For what you’d have to pay it would mean all our other issues would remain exactly the same.
Not happening, we clearly hate that position. When we finally decided to sign a RW last year, we decided to pay £35m for a kid who played like 30 minutes in Serie A. Hilarious stuff.

Hammondo

Shearer won 1 title and is considered the best ever PL forward. I'm sure, with or without trophies, Kane will go down as one of the leagues top, top forwards.

Trophies aren't a criteria for me to judge players on.
I don't think I've heard anyone say he was the best ever forward.

Hammondo

I do think anyone is gonna be paying crazy money for him. Money is tight and there are alternatives.

RUCK4444

Do we feel sorry for him?

I do, Spurs looked like a team on the brink of something special a few years ago, Champions league season after season, new stadium, great manager. I bet he signed that last contract confident they'd be winning things, they then get to the Champions league final and he's again thinking this is great. Since then it's been a huge decline and now the realisation he plays for a club which make it near enough impossible to get out if you are good.

Erikson had to drag his contract out and Kane looks like he has the same issue for me.
Absolutely not. If you sign away your best footballing years to Spurs you are definitely missing more than a few brain cells.

He’s taken the bait from Levy that they will kick on to be a better side when in reality they will go backwards massively, especially when he leaves.

Why oh why would you renew at Spurs when he had the perfect opportunity to win trophies at ANY club on planet Earth. Beggars belief.