Harry Kane | "I will be staying at Tottenham this summer and will be 100% focused on helping the team achieve success."

troylocker

Firstly, Mbappe will come with a wage of 500k minimum.

Secondly, Kane is playing for Spurs in the PL not PSG in a farmers league where most clubs wouldn't even do well in the championship.

Thirdly, Kane has produced numbers for 6/7 years where as Haaland has done it at Dortmund for 18 months.

Kane is one of the best passers of a football actually, I don't know how you can discount that? His passing ability is better than Mbappe and Haaland.
What wage will Kane come with?

Kane in the CL: 123 minutes per non penalty goal in the CL and 696 minutes per assist or 102 minutes per non penalty G/A
Mbappe in the CL: 144 minutes per non penalty goal in the CL and 203 minutes per assist or 82 minutes per non penalty G/A
Haaland in the CL: 74 minutes per non penalty goal in the CL and 420 minutes per assist or 63 minutes per non penalty G/A

None of Kanes seasons for Spurs has been close to what Haaland has done for Dortmund as a 19 and 20 year old.

Harry had a spree in the first 11 matces of the campaign last season where he assisted 10 times.Other than that he has contributed with an absolute minimum of key passes in his career (6 matches on average between each assist in his entire football career) He is not direct and not creative. Both Haaland and Mbappe creates more for their teammates.

+ Kanes value will go down from here no matter how well he does for you bacuse of his age......and he is injury prone.

150M in this market for Kane would be complete madness.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
The leverage is with Spurs. Kane is staying.

He should have taken a leaf out of Pogba’s book when it comes to committing your future to a club.

dinostar77

There is just this small part of me that really wants Kane to join City.

Maybe I'm wrong but I wouldn't be surprised for him to play a bit like he does for England or City being a little less fluid than they could be.
If City don't sign him this summer then no doubt we will be in for him next summer if we cant land haaland. Cannot see Manchester United not being interested in Harry Kane if hes available. 29 yrs old or not. We're a few seasons away from a decade since fergie retired and we have no PL title. Kane next summer for us could do a Van Persie and get us over the line.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Shitbag!

Nah in all seriousness he probably realises if City sign Grealish then his move is unlikely, I can’t see anybody paying 150m+ for Kane this summer.
Even before the window opened, the City journalists were saying that City's intention was to sign both Grealish and Kane. The obstacle is probably selling players to make the Kane bid viable with extra scrutiny on them for FFP.

Oranges038

So he hasn't turned up again but will later in the week? What the actual feck :lol:
A lot of places allow you two days sick before you have to get a doctors cert. Maybe he just had a dose of the shits after a dodgy curry the weekend and he'll take the two days and be back on Wednesday, so he doesn't have to fork out for the doctors visit to get the cert.

Infra-red

Harry Should have thought of this before signing that feckin ridiculous renewal.

I have absolutely no sympathy for him. One of the most shocking decisions by a sportsman in recent memory, said that at the time.
I'm sure he did, which is why he was careful to ensure that he inserted the legally watertight "gentleman's agreement" into the deal. This was further solidified with a wink and a secret handshake.

Poor Harry must be absolutely aghast that well-know gentleman and affable good guy Daniel Levy is not sticking to the deal.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
C'mon Levy hold out!! The thought of both greilish and kane in that City team is sending shivers down my spine

romufc

Kane in the CL: 123 minutes per non penalty goal in the CL and 696 minutes per assist or 102 minutes per non penalty G/A
Mbappe in the CL: 144 minutes per non penalty goal in the CL and 203 minutes per assist or 82 minutes per non penalty G/A
Haaland in the CL: 74 minutes per non penalty goal in the CL and 420 minutes per assist or 63 minutes per non penalty G/A

None of Kanes seasons for Spurs has been close to what Haaland has done for Dortmund as a 19 and 20 year old.

Harry had a spree in the first 11 matces of the campaign last season where he assisted 10 times.Other than that he has contributed with an absolute minimum of key passes in his career (6 matches on average between each assist in his entire football career) He is not direct and not creative. Both Haaland and Mbappe creates more for their teammates.

+ Kanes value will go down from here no matter how well he does for you bacuse of his age......and he is injury prone.

So penalties don't count as goals?

Both Haaland and Mbappe play for clubs in leagues that are alot lesser than the PL, ofcourse to suit your argument, you wouldn't take that into consideration.

Also, could you explain what injury prone means?

Finally, no one says Kane is worth £150m, but that is what he is worth to Spurs and there are very many reasons why.
The reason why Haaland fee this summer is £150m and Mbappe with one year left is still over £100m shows how good of players they are, if all things were equal, all 3 players had 3 years left on their contract, PSG and Dortmund would want over £200m

troylocker

So penalties don't count as goals?

Both Haaland and Mbappe play for clubs in leagues that are alot lesser than the PL, ofcourse to suit your argument, you wouldn't take that into consideration.

Also, could you explain what injury prone means?

Finally, no one says Kane is worth £150m, but that is what he is worth to Spurs and there are very many reasons why.
The reason why Haaland fee this summer is £150m and Mbappe with one year left is still over £100m shows how good of players they are, if all things were equal, all 3 players had 3 years left on their contract, PSG and Dortmund would want over £200m
Penalties are of course goals, but they don't say much about the quality of the player as a striker. So goalscoringratio without penalties says more about his goalscoring abilities than with them.
A couple of dilemmas for you:
Which striker is better: A striker who scores 25 goals a season, no penalties, or a striker who scores 30 goals a season, 10 penalties?
Which one would you want in your team?
I really hope we agree on those two.

Haaland and Mbappe plays for teams in weaker leagues, but their performances on the biggest stage, the CL, is still better. Their performances in the weaker leagues are also better. I like Kane, he is a really good striker and player, but I think you have to be English to rate him up there with the absolute best players in the world, and a pricetag of 150M for a 28 year old striker without extraordinary physique is just crazy. He also has 0 titles to his name. Considering this is the year, as you say, you can get Mbappe or Haaland for the same or less it would be absolute madness to spend 150M on any other players than those 2.

In 16/17 season Kane missed 13 games due to injury
In 18/19 season Kane missed 16 games due to injury
In 19/20 season Kane missed 19 games due to injury

Thats 25% pluss in 3 of the last 5 seasons. I would call that injury prone.

Kane's biggest mistake was obviously to sign that 6 year contract, that makes it possible for Spurs to hold him hostage.

romufc

Penalties are of course goals, but they don't say much about the quality of the player as a striker. So goalscoringratio without penalties says more about his goalscoring abilities than with them.
Which striker is better: A striker who scores 25 goals a season, no penalties, or a striker who scores 30 goals a season, 10 penalties?

Haaland and Mbappe plays for teams in weaker leagues, but their performances on the biggest stage, the CL, is still better. Their performances in the weaker leagues are also better. I like Kane, he is a really good striker and player, but I think you have to be English to rate him up there with the absolute best players in the world, and a pricetag of 150M for a 28 year old striker without extraordinary physique is just crazy. He also has 0 titles to his name. Considering this is the year, as you say, you can get Mbappe or Haaland for the same or less it would be absolute madness to spend 150M on any other players than those 2.

Kane's biggest mistake was obviously to sign that 6 year contract, that makes it possible for Spurs to hold him hostage.
Ofcourse 25 non pen goals

I do get what you are saying but he is the top 3 strikers in the world behind Lewandowski and Haaland. Mbappe, I don't class as a striker really.

Again, agreed that it is his own mistake for signing s 6 year contract, considering its Spurs and Levy, you must know what you are getting into.

Ofcourse, if you asked me what I would pay for him, it would be max £80m but if you add the things that matter in this transfer, I can see why its £150m. English tax adds £20m, Levy himself will add £20m, then you have contract length and all sorts.

Obviously if you are spending that it would be dumb not to get Haaland instead.

However; they come with issues of their own. Haaland has Raiola who will want £40m himself and Mbappe only wants Madrid. City want a ST this season and Kane is a proven goal scorer.

The other problem is that there are no out and out strikers around anymore, there is a real shortage of top quality strikers in European football at the moment.

troylocker

I do get what you are saying but he is the top 3 strikers in the world behind Lewandowski and Haaland. Mbappe, I don't class as a striker really.

Again, agreed that it is his own mistake for signing s 6 year contract, considering its Spurs and Levy, you must know what you are getting into.

Ofcourse, if you asked me what I would pay for him, it would be max £80m but if you add the things that matter in this transfer, I can see why its £150m. English tax adds £20m, Levy himself will add £20m, then you have contract length and all sorts.

However; they come with issues of their own. Haaland has Raiola who will want £40m himself and Mbappe only wants Madrid. City want a ST this season and Kane is a proven goal scorer.

The other problem is that there are no out and out strikers around anymore, there is a real shortage of top quality strikers in European football at the moment.
I guess we pretty much agree on most of the above.

Another thing though is that City already have 4 years younger Jesus who actually has outperformed Kane when it comes to goalcontributions per minute played since he came to City, and they don't trust him to be their main man:

Jesus for City: 150 minutes per non penalty goal, 346 minutes per assist and 105 minutes per G/A for City in his career.
Kane for Spurs: 140 minutes per non penalty goal, 559 minutes per assist and 112 minutes per G/A for Spurs in his career.

Jesus has played for a dominating City though, so not comparing apples with apples here either.

croadyman

Sounds daft I know but would prefer City to get Kane over Grealish but then that's because I want us to still get Jack one day

devilo

Sounds daft I know but would prefer City to get Kane over Grealish but then that's because I want us to still get Jack one day
You and me both, although I think that will be dependent on one or both of Pogba and Martial leaving.

spaceboyRSA

Also if they get Kane, then it probably takes them out of the haaland running next year. Lukaku to Chelsea does the same thing. Can only help our chances to get haaland

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Unless City wants to spend £150m on Kane this summer I am not sure Levy will let him go.

Kane's mistake was signing that six year deal. If he had signed a five year deal instead he would be in the last two years of his contract, which would give him much more leverage. He's in a similar position to the one Sancho was in last summer: With three years left on your deal there is no pressure on your club to sell immediately. Value only starts to drop significantly in the last two years of a contract.

People will say we signed Sancho for less than Dortmund were asking for last summer. However, from Dortmund's perspective, they signed Sancho for sweet F.A. Therefore, its all profit for them. Levy will feel the same way if he ends up selling Kane for £80m next summer. Especially if Kane's goals get Spurs close to, or in to, the top four.

DSG

‘Isn’t there a line of reasoning where we, as Man United, would actually prefer for Kane to move this summer to City, along with Grealish?

Why? One less legitimate contender for Haaland next year.

If we can agree that Haaland will only go to clubs who can afford his wages and City already have Kane, that leaves: Chelsea, Real Madrid, PSG and us. Barca is in financial hell, already signed Depay and Aguero. Bayern will still have Lewandowski and have a pretty rigid wage structure. Juventus is unlikely due to financial issues.

Mbappe’s first choice is Real, and he may move this summer or on a free to Real next summer. That leaves Chelsea, PSG and United. Those are decent odds and we might have a shot at Haaland…

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
If Kane signs for city it could go either way, they could be less fluid in there attacking because guardiola normally likes technical players. On the other hand though, with the way city play and always squaring it into the box, Kane will get like 30+ goals a season.

wise_old_man

Even before the window opened, the City journalists were saying that City's intention was to sign both Grealish and Kane. The obstacle is probably selling players to make the Kane bid viable with extra scrutiny on them for FFP.
They funnily got bailed out of an FFP punishment last time. I doubt they even care about it now if they know they could escape the consequences anyway.

romufc

‘Isn’t there a line of reasoning where we, as Man United, would actually prefer for Kane to move this summer to City, along with Grealish?

Why? One less legitimate contender for Haaland next year.

If we can agree that Haaland will only go to clubs who can afford his wages and City already have Kane, that leaves: Chelsea, Real Madrid, PSG and us. Barca is in financial hell, already signed Depay and Aguero. Bayern will still have Lewandowski and have a pretty rigid wage structure. Juventus is unlikely due to financial issues.

Mbappe’s first choice is Real, and he may move this summer or on a free to Real next summer. That leaves Chelsea, PSG and United. Those are decent odds and we might have a shot at Haaland…
Kane going to City does help us get Haaland next season.

However; there is one big factor in that happening.. Raiola. It all depends how that relationship is.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
If Kane signs for city it could go either way, they could be less fluid in there attacking because guardiola normally likes technical players. On the other hand though, with the way city play and always squaring it into the box, Kane will get like 30+ goals a season.
Kane is a highly technical player though?

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I wish I could do that in my job.
Don't we all, to top it off there's quotes from sources his end that say he feels the situation has been blown out of proportion

Kane clearly doesn't live in the real world

Classical Mechanic

I think you're missing the point completely here. Mbappe plays a completely different position to Kane and could actually play in the same team as him for City. I'd argue that Kane and Mbappe in the same side would be exceptionally potent when you consider Kane's ability to drop deep and create for his wide forwards (see his link up with Son last season). The key point being that Mbappe cannot offer what Kane does to a team as a 9, which is a more total football style where he plays as a hybrid 9 & 10. Haaland, whilst playing the same position as Kane, plays it very differently, with him being solely the focal point of the attack. Guardiola does not favour this type of 9 in his system.

If you look deeper into their stats then you will see that Kane is on a different level as a passer of the ball to both those players which strongly suggests the reason as to why Guardiola would want to sign him over those two players, although to reiterate that only Haaland is a meangingful comparison anyway.

When you consider the levels of the leagues the respective players compete in, look at Kane's npXG, then I'd argue that it would be reasonable to expect a similar level of goal output as those two players in a top league like the PL when he plays in a high chance creation side like City. That's whilst adding the qualities to the team that the other two players can't in the 9 position.

Go into the full report for the passing stats.

https://fbref.com/en/players/21a66f6a/scout/365_euro/Harry-Kane-Scouting-Report

https://fbref.com/en/players/42fd9c7f/scout/365_euro/Kylian-Mbappe-Scouting-Report

https://fbref.com/en/players/1f44ac21/Erling-Haaland

dinostar77

I think you're missing the point completely here. Mbappe plays a completely different position to Kane and could actually play in the same team as him for City. I'd argue that Kane and Mbappe in the same side would be exceptionally potent when you consider Kane's ability to drop deep and create for his wide forwards (see his link up with Son last season). The key point being that Mbappe cannot offer what Kane does to a team as a 9, which is a more total football style where he plays as a hybrid 9 & 10. Haaland, whilst playing the same position as Kane, plays it very differently, with him being solely the focal point of the attack. Guardiola does not favour this type of 9 in his system.

If you look deeper into their stats then you will see that Kane is on a different level as a passer of the ball to both those players which strongly suggests the reason as to why Guardiola would want to sign him over those two players, although to reiterate that only Haaland is a meangingful comparison anyway.

When you consider the levels of the leagues the respective players compete in, look at Kane's npXG, then I'd argue that it would be reasonable to expect a similar level of goal output as those two players in a top league like the PL when he plays in a high chance creation side like City. That's whilst adding the qualities to the team that the other two players can't in the 9 position.

https://fbref.com/en/players/42fd9c7f/scout/365_euro/Kylian-Mbappe-Scouting-Report

Good post. Agree Kane's all round game offers something to city that neither Mbappe or Haaland offer. Mbappe has stated serveral times that he preferes the wide forward position and therefore not a no9. Haaland although a very good goalscorer, is very much and individualistic player. Dropping deeper and creating chances for other will come to him with age and experience.

Kane is probably right now the best match for city in terms of what they need from a no9. His goalscoring will improve as he will be playing with better players and his potential injuries can be managed better by City as he can be rested for games where at Spurs he played all the time. Every game.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Given we need to upgrade the center of our midfield, and have to add a main no 9, I can't see us signing Grealish tbh.

Alemar

Without Kane, Spurs have next to no chance of finishing in the top 4, and their marketability diminishes massively if he leaves. In a good season, you could argue that Kane brings in anywhere upwards of 50-70m for Spurs.
But Spurs have minimal chances for top 4 finish regardless. City, United, Chelsea and Liverpool have big advantage, and there is also Leicester

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
But Spurs have minimal chances for top 4 finish regardless. City, United, Chelsea and Liverpool have big advantage, and there is also Leicester
All the more reason for Spurs to value him so highly.

Without Kane, the slight chance they have of a top 4 finish all but disappears.

worldinmotion66

Harry Kane just does not make sense for any club except those flush with money and no regard for losses due to his age and lack of sell-on value. United already have Cavani and by the time he leaves Kane will be 29 years of age with only a few years at his peak left.

Say he's purchased at 120 Million: He basically has 4 years at the very top which would be 30 Million a year in transfer fees, and a salary of say 400k a week which equates to 20 Million. It would end up costing 1 Million a week to any purchasing club. This is Messi level money who is getting Barcelona in financial difficulties.
I don't think age will affect his game too much, he already drops deep and links play. He's more technical than physical. The only question mark would be around his injuries and whether they catch up with him. Talk of sell on value is ridiculous, top players retire here, we're not a selling club generally. If we bought Kane and his goals won us the league, he'd be worth every penny. More and more players are now running down contracts and selling for below their value too. We should be looking to buy players that we can trust to do the job we need, proven in the league and that improve us instantly. To turn our nose up at Kane would be crazy imo.

copen1945

It will have to be Spurs and Levy who uphold the integrity of the league. They should demand the Neymar money because Kane is just as important and integral to Spurs.

troylocker

Oh lord!
Kane last season (where your stats are from) and Haaland is completely different striker types. Kane dropped deep alot more (15,5% of his touches in the boxes), got involved a lot more and used more touches per pass (1,56 touches per pass), while Haaland spent as much time as possible in the boxes (28% of his touches in the boxes) and played direct whenever possible. Mbappe often plays wider and gets involved a lot more than both the other two. Even then Harry has a pass completion rate lower than both the players we are comparing him to here (Harry 70%, Erling 74%, Mbappe 78%). His xA was alltime high for him last season with 0,23 per 90, just a tad higher than Haalands 0,21 per 90, even though Harry attempts 50% more passes. Kylian is at 0,26 with 95% more passing attempts than Haaland. Haaland by far the most direct player of them and never takes freekicks or setpieces.

When it comes to finishing and getting in to good scoring positions, Haaland is in a league of his own.
Do you really think Harry would increase his npxG with 38% if he played for City?
Harry shoots a lot and wastes chances like few other top strikers. He shoots from all angles and all distances, while Erling chooses his chances more carefully while also being a lot more clinical.

Finishing and goalscoring:

Harry:
Shots on target: 36,2% (25 percentile)
Goals per shot: 0,14 (40 percentile)
nxpG: 0,55 per 90 (90 percentile)
npG-nxpG: +0,03 (57 percentile) He outperforms the expected output of his chances by 2,7% (a bit over average for strikers)

Erling:
Shots on target: 54,3% (96 percentile)
Goals per shot: 0,29 (99 percentile)
nxpG: 0,76 per 90 (98 percentile)
npG-nxpG: +0,22 (95 percentile) He outperforms the expected output of his chances by 29% (outrageous for a striker)

If you have creators in your team and want a guy to convert your chances, Kane is not your man if you can choose between those two. Haaland and Mbappe also adds something a new dimension to your counterattack.
If you want a guy that drops deeper and involves himself more in the buildup, then sure Kane could be a better option. Will he score more than he does for Spurs? Hard to tell as he is shooting more often than anyone in the PL already (and Haaland and Mbappe). Kane shoots on average 4,03 times per 90, while Jesus and Aguero both sits well below 3 shots per 90. So it will be interesting to see if the City signs him.

Classical Mechanic

If you have creators in your team and want a guy to convert your chances, Kane is not your man if you can choose between those two. Haaland and Mbappe also adds something a new dimension to your counterattack.
If you want a guy that drops deeper and involves himself more in the buildup, then sure Kane could be a better option. Will he score more than he does for Spurs? Hard to tell as he is shooting more often than anyone in the PL already (and Haaland and Mbappe). Kane shoots on average 4,03 times per 90, while Jesus and Aguero both sits well below 3 shots per 90. So it will be interesting to see if the City signs him.
That's the whole point though isn't it. That is what Guardiola wants. Guardiola doesn't use forwards like Haaland so why would he change his highly successful style to do so? Mbappe plays in a different position that City are stacked in so it isn't a meaningful comparison. Not to mention that he seems to have his eyes on Real Madrid only.

Kane will likely have to adjust his style under Guardiola and will take less pot shots. He will also be the beneficiary of more high xG chances. I do think that Kane would increase his output for City whilst Haaland and Mbappe would likely see a reduction in theirs playing at a higher level.

Red Company

Supports
The Peaky Blinders
If city are signing Grealish, they will most likely not go for Kane unless they can sell some assets. These assets won’t just go to any team city wishes hence they will most likely stay.

Next year we’ll have to fight city for Haaland if they win everything this season or go close to it. Haaland will consider them as good as us if not more. Those days are gone where players would blindly pick us. All the players that have gone to city so far don’t really care about their history. Trophies matter a lot.

We’d have to give a solid fight this season for Haaland to even think we’re a better fit.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Kane is a highly technical player though?
Yeah but he isn’t going to dribble his way through defenders and out run anyone because he’s slows as anything. He’s a striker that tends to be in the box more, it was only last season he started dropping deep which is where all his assist came from. I just don’t see him as a pep striker but who knows.

Posh Red

Yeah but he isn’t going to dribble his way through defenders and out run anyone because he’s slows as anything. He’s a striker that tends to be in the box more, it was only last season he started dropping deep which is where all his assist came from. I just don’t see him as a pep striker but who knows.
Does Pep like his strikers to be explosive dribblers? My impression was that he favours a technically proficient target man (like Lewandowski at Bayern)

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Honestly I think he’s about the best fit for a Pep striker I’ve seen, even more so than Aguero. Aguero was far more of a box striker and he didn’t get involved much in the build up. Kane doesn’t need pace because his hold up play, vision, passing and of course finishing are all world class. On paper he’s a match made in heaven but the hope is perhaps Kane’s injuries will affect him slightly. I think he would score a she’d load for city unfortunately.