Harry Kane | "I will be staying at Tottenham this summer and will be 100% focused on helping the team achieve success."

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
I'm confused - are you saying it's good or bad for football that billionaires can turn nothing clubs into giants simply by pumping money into them?

I agree that the big clubs have an agenda in supporting FFP, but that doesn't make it wrong or unnecessary in principle.
Barring some sort of level playing ground, then it's good that "nothing" clubs can be elevated to a point where they can challenge the traditional big clubs.

Of course it's wrong and unnecessary. Ever heard of a monopoly?

westmeath

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Barring some sort of level playing ground, then it's good that "nothing" clubs can be elevated to a point where they can challenge the traditional big clubs.

My problem with PSG and City isn’t the money but rather the source of the money and the purpose of the “investment”. It’s a very cynical use of our sport and it is wrong.

The investment is guaranteed to lose in financial terms but they are happy to spend hundreds of millions for the association with top level professional excellence and the reputational benefits that come with that association.

Meanwhile their regimes engage in barbaric human rights abuses.

So if some tech billionaire wants to buy United and is willing to invest heavily in order to grow the club and make some money then I am all for it. Similarly if he wants to transform Sheffield Wednesday into Champions League winners then that is fine too.

What if North Korea decide they want to buy a football club? I imagine there would be uproar and some way would be found to stop them. Are they really that much different from Abu Dhabi or Qatar in terms of human rights?

sugar_kane

I am saying its a fact of life.

In a general sense I am not sure how it makes football worse than it would otherwise be either. Its just another vested interest to go alongside the major sportswear companies, advertisers, broadcasters and streamers.

If X person, say Roman Abramovich, buys Y football club. Why should he not be able to put his money into that club? Also, as @romufc points out, they get around this stuff easily anyway. Etihad supposedly pumps money into Manchester City via sponsorships and we're meant to believe that's completely independent of Abu Dhabi's interest in City. Yeah, right...

There is no punishment that FFP can provide that is greater than to risk going out of business. That risk exists with or without FFP. As I said I find it a bit perverse that when a club finds itself at a low ebb, it can also find itself smacked with FFP sanctions as well as the real prospect of going into administration.

Okay so essentially the rich owner thing is a preferable alternative to nothing? Perhaps.

My issue with it is we're seeing clubs like City hoover up 2 or 3 stars for every position, to the point where I can't see beyond them for the title for this and potentially the next few seasons. I can only see that getting worse unless others clubs also get bought by state funded billionaires.

In a league like France other teams will have no chance when PSG are able to field M'Bappe, Messi and Neymar in the same squad (yes I appreciate Lille won it last season...)

Perhaps a wage cap is the answer, yes it's fecked Barcelona but they had been badly run for a long time so if anything perhaps it proves the system works?

Logi

Seems like FFP will be scrapped for a new solution, where there will be a salary cap of about 70 % of revenue with a "luxury tax" if you go over, eventually leading to exclusion from tournaments if you dont reduce wages to under the cap.
I guess this is a simpler set of rules, but the richest clubs will still be able to inflate their sponsorship deals to increase their cap, so not sure how that will be handled …

Source: The Times

Cloud7

So if some tech billionaire wants to buy United and is willing to invest heavily in order to grow the club and make some money then I am all for it. Similarly if he wants to transform Sheffield Wednesday into Champions League winners then that is fine too.
A tech billionaire like Steve Jobs who has children working in sweatshops in China making iPhones for less than pennies? Elon Musk who was born into wealth from emerald mines worked during apartheid? Jeff Bezos who inflicts such harsh working conditions that amazon employees can't even take bathroom breaks? You're all for them then?

Nogbadthebad

A tech billionaire like Steve Jobs who has children working in sweatshops in China making iPhones for less than pennies? Elon Musk who was born into wealth from emerald mines worked during apartheid? Jeff Bezos who inflicts such harsh working conditions that amazon employees can't even take bathroom breaks? You're all for them then?
Yup.

But it is important to remember that Abi Dhabi is still miles ahead of them all.

They still carry out public beheadings. In the streets.

Cloud7

Yup.

But it is important to remember that Abi Dhabi is still miles ahead of them all.

I agree that they are still worse. More curious as to where the line is drawn in terms of what this poster is comfortable with, since their issue was with the purpose of the investment.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Levy will take City offer?

If Kane communicates he wants to go per the gentlemen's agreement. Makes it difficult to say no I think.

Manchester Dan

Supports
Man City
Yup.

Not quite true if you believe the Amnesty annual reports. The only country to do any beheadings last year worldwide was Saudi Arabia, and the UAE actually had zero death sentences last year and the year before. I haven’t look before that but it is far more prominent in many other countries across the Middle East, USA & China. Not to defend anything about the UAE, but I think we should work with the facts available.

Anyway, hope we sign Kane.

dinostar77

The word is that we have set a deadline of noon today so we should know either way soon.
Is there a source for that deadline? If its true i wonder if City would move onto a backup target this summer or join the queue next summer to try to convince haaland not to go to Madrid.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Seems like FFP will be scrapped for a new solution, where there will be a salary cap of about 70 % of revenue with a "luxury tax" if you go over, eventually leading to exclusion from tournaments if you dont reduce wages to under the cap.
I guess this is a simpler set of rules, but the richest clubs will still be able to inflate their sponsorship deals to increase their cap, so not sure how that will be handled …

Source: The Times
Exactly. Man City and PSG will just announce a tourism partnerships with Abu Dhabi and Qatar worth a gazillion billions and keep spending. Its all rubbish.

My problem with PSG and City isn’t the money but rather the source of the money and the purpose of the “investment”. It’s a very cynical use of our sport and it is wrong.

The investment is guaranteed to lose in financial terms but they are happy to spend hundreds of millions for the association with top level professional excellence and the reputational benefits that come with that association.

Meanwhile their regimes engage in barbaric human rights abuses.

What if North Korea decide they want to buy a football club? I imagine there would be uproar and some way would be found to stop them. Are they really that much different from Abu Dhabi or Qatar in terms of human rights?
I agree with you. Supposedly that's why we have fit and proper persons tests. However, I've never been able to work out why that test doesn't tend to stop anyone who wants to own a football club from owning it. I wouldn't be surprised if the Jalisco new generation cartel bought an English football club to be honest.

1 day before matchday 1 :lol:
Any other player would be getting pelters for this but not 'Saint' Harry. :rolleyes:

lysglimt

Scout
Would be funny if - with the score drawn, Spurs get a penalty in the 90th minute with Kane on the pitch

GMoore23

If City get him we have no chance of the title this season, We'd need Haaland and a top CDM to keep up.

Sterling/Grealish Kane/Jesus/Torres Foden/Mahrez
De Bruyne/Silva
Unreal depth

Mr Smith

Not quite true if you believe the Amnesty annual reports. The only country to do any beheadings last year worldwide was Saudi Arabia, and the UAE actually had zero death sentences last year and the year before. I haven’t look before that but it is far more prominent in many other countries across the Middle East, USA & China. Not to defend anything about the UAE, but I think we should work with the facts available.

Anyway, hope we sign Kane.
Must be a relief to know your owners took a break from beheading their citizens for a year. When you put it that way, focusing on their propaganda project breaking the British transfer record twice in one season and thereby continuing to twist the english league dramatically out of shape is quite palatable by comparison.

I know you're trying to be balanced and I'm not trying to attack you specifically, but there's absolutely nothing justifiable about what City are.

Mr Smith

:lol:

Exactly what I was thinking. How the hell did we get in this situation.
It's frankly a dereliction of duty that the media doesn't mention this on a daily basis. I get why it's happened. The City project has been incredibly effective, whatever way you slice it. On a sporting level they are magnificent, a genuine template for how to turn a pure financial advantage into sustained sporting dominance. But every day it continues to be allowed is a stain on the game. The fact that there was the level of outrage we saw with the super league, and we haven't seen the same outrage when an abhorrent nation state buys a proud traditional club and turns it into its own personal propaganda machine is a disgrace. Add to the fact that they've basically irreparably damaged the competitiveness of the league in England and there's absolutely no moral justification for it, regardless of the sporting excellence.

BarstoolProphet

Yup.

They do? My impression of UAE is that they are now very western-oriented. Couldn't find anything from Amnesty on public beheadings in UAE and Abu Dhabi in general.

Redcy

Wherever there is big money someone at the bottom is getting shafted. The oil states are particularly egregious, but the government is clearly never going to say anything, so City can get to keep making their faked sponsorships.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
The Pau Torres rumours surely means he's off? I know the Romero transfer was loan with obligation, but they seem to be chucking the cash about.

They do? My impression of UAE is that they are now very western-oriented. Couldn't find anything from Amnesty on public beheadings in UAE and Abu Dhabi in general.
They execute people by firing squad, hanging or stoning. Don't think it tends to be public though. The UAE has institutionalised slavery (Kafala contracts, where workers, largely from India, Pakistan, the Philippines and Ethiopia have their passports taken by their employer on arrival, to be returned when their employer decides) and polygamy (the prime minister of dubai has 6 wives and has used the Emirati military police to abduct 2 of his own daughters when they tried to leave the country). Also they have a really long recent record of arresting and torturing foreigners and holding them indefinitely in solitary confinement, including a PhD researcher from Durham University. That's not even going into its role in the wars in Yemen and Ethiopia, 2 of the most horrific wars going on in the world today

They aren't really 'western-oriented' in any sense, other than having built close relationships (read arms and oil sales) with the UK and US. The only reason you don't read more about them in the news is cos they're really well connected (the pm of dubai is one of the biggest landowners in the UK) and because of propaganda like the sportswashing going on at city. If Iran had done some of this stuff it would be front page news around the world.

Feck the UAE.

Reactions: berbatrick

RonaldoVII

I've expected this to happen since his interview with Neville. City will sell Bernado and cook the books to give Spurs what they want. Kane has played his part and Spurs can't afford to turn down silly money.

Ananke

They execute people by firing squad, hanging or stoning. Don't think it tends to be public though. The UAE has institutionalised slavery (Kafala contracts, where workers, largely from India, Pakistan, the Philippines and Ethiopia have their passports taken by their employer on arrival, to be returned when their employer decides) and polygamy (the prime minister of dubai has 6 wives and has used the Emirati military police to abduct 2 of his own daughters when they tried to leave the country). Also they have a really long recent record of arresting and torturing foreigners and holding them indefinitely in solitary confinement, including a PhD researcher from Durham University. That's not even going into its role in the wars in Yemen and Ethiopia, 2 of the most horrific wars going on in the world today

They aren't really 'western-oriented' in any sense, other than having built close relationships (read arms and oil sales) with the UK and US. The only reason you don't read more about them in the news is cos they're really well connected (the pm of dubai is one of the biggest landowners in the UK) and because of propaganda like the sportswashing going on at city. If Iran had done some of this stuff it would be front page news around the world.

Feck the UAE.
Sums it up pretty well.

Been there, majestic looking cities but you can literally see the slave trade going on in the streets. They have something like a 3rd of the worlds cranes in that area. There are shuttle buses everywhere packed full of Indians/Pakistanis. Their health and safety regime is basically none existent. They pay these guys peanuts (I mean probably what you could buy a pack of peanuts with over here) per month.

It’s a racist, sexist, homophobic side of the world that doesn’t take much to look past the big skyscrapers and money to see what’s happening. Obviously this happens wherever big money is but honestly the scale is just off the charts in comparison.

It’s not even hidden. Knowing City has basically built on that money is just…yeh.

Real Name

Personally it makes me a lot calmer to know UAE didn't have public beheadings for a whole year.

Yakuza_devils

Levy is the last person you would want to have a gentleman agreement with.

Kane has done so much for spurs and deserve to leave with respect and dignity.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
Levy is the last person you would want to have a gentleman agreement with.

Kane has done so much for spurs and deserve to leave with respect and dignity.
Levy isn’t saying Kane will not leave no matter what. He is saying Kane can leave as long as his evaluation is met. So whatever the asking price pay it and Kane is yours. Until that happens Kane needs to show up to work and do his job. And you don’t think Spurs have done anything for him? Doesn’t he need to treat the club, that gave him a chance to play, with dignity and respect?

RetroStu

Levy isn’t saying Kane will not leave no matter what. He is saying Kane can leave as long as his evaluation is met. So whatever the asking price pay it and Kane is yours. Until that happens Kane needs to show up to work and do his job. And you don’t think Spurs have done anything for him? Doesn’t he need to treat the club, that gave him a chance to play, with dignity and respect?
Isnt the 'speculation' that him and Levy agreed on a 100mil offer and he can leave?. I know i would be pissed if that was agreed, even if not on paper, and then Levy comes out wanting 150mil.
Anyway its Kane's fault anyway as he was so stupid to not put a release clause in that deal he signed.

In fact this whole saga is tedious as hell as you know 99% that he will be a City player by the end of the window.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
Isnt the 'speculation' that him and Levy agreed on a 100mil offer and he can leave?. I know i would be pissed if that was agreed, even if not on paper, and then Levy comes out wanting 150mil.
Anyway its Kane's fault anyway as he was so stupid to not put a release clause in that deal he signed.

In fact this whole saga is tedious as hell as you know 99% that he will be a City player by the end of the window.
Exactly that’s just speculation. When no one knows the truth you can’t come out and speak like Kane is being played and held hostage.

Also £100m last year isn’t the same as this year. They need to account for inflation and for Covid. Last year teams couldn’t afford that but this year they are more capable of that.

Yakuza_devils

What if Levy set the price at 200mil? IMO, Kane has already stayed a very long time at Spurs because he loves the club. Kane can easily get much higher salary at other club had he not stayed with Spurs for so long. But at his age now, Levy should listen to realistic offer and let him go to have new challenges elsewhere to fulfill his dreams.

The realistic fee is around 100 to 120mil in the current COVID-19 situation. If this was the price, I think City or other major clubs can pay this. But it seems, Levy want much higher.

littleman

No one held Kane with a gun to his head when he signed his current contract

No amount of football tribal storytelling is going to change that reality