Harry Kane MBE | Performances

finneh

Did anyone listen to Talksport yesterday? Adrian Durham and Ray Wilkins were discussing Harry Kane and his contract situation. I believe it has 2 years to run but the issue is he is earning (only) £60,000 per week. Now consider how important he is to Spurs and the fact that Sissoko is allegedly earning nearly £100,000 per week. Jamie Vardy is even in 3 figures since his new contract was agreed. Now I don't know how much input Pochettino has had in to the situation but I think Ray Wilkins hit the nail on the head last night. It seems that Kane is being punished for coming through the youth system and not coming in to Spurs as a blockbuster signing. They should take Leicester's example and up his wages, although granted Vardy did help Leicester win the League.
What the Spurs board are missing is if Kane sits out the remainder of his contract and walks away, or even leaves before then (his value is only going to go down as it runs out) they will still have to replace him. If Spurs want to stay at the top end of the League and even challenge to win it, they need a 25 goal a season striker and that's going to cost them say £30 million minimum. And anyone who costs that much is going to demand wages I would say comfortably in to 3 figures £K per week. So let's say they up Kane's wages to £100,000 per week it's still 300 weeks before they've paid out the £30 million a new player would cost.

What do the rest of you think about the Kane situation? Am I looking at it in a too simple way? Is he not as good as he's been hyped up to be?
Lloris has 2 years to run come next Summer, not Kane. I think the majority of the tabloids are suggesting that he (Lloris) is angling for £100k+ per week and that if he's given this Kane would be looking for at least parity (reportedly £120k per week). I imagine Lloris' agent realises he'd be earning far in excess of his current salary if he were at another club (say PSG/City), so he has plenty of leverage.

It's somewhat inevitable given the importance of him to their squad. People will talk about the long term deals Alli/Kane are on but fundamentally Spurs can't afford to upset either of them, which means upping their salary significantly within the next 12 months is somewhat inevitable. Obviously this will cause a short term squeeze with financing costs of their stadium on the horizon.

It'll be a delicate balance.

tomaldinho1

Did anyone listen to Talksport yesterday? Adrian Durham and Ray Wilkins were discussing Harry Kane and his contract situation. I believe it has 2 years to run but the issue is he is earning (only) £60,000 per week. Now consider how important he is to Spurs and the fact that Sissoko is allegedly earning nearly £100,000 per week. Jamie Vardy is even in 3 figures since his new contract was agreed. Now I don't know how much input Pochettino has had in to the situation but I think Ray Wilkins hit the nail on the head last night. It seems that Kane is being punished for coming through the youth system and not coming in to Spurs as a blockbuster signing. They should take Leicester's example and up his wages, although granted Vardy did help Leicester win the League.
What the Spurs board are missing is if Kane sits out the remainder of his contract and walks away, or even leaves before then (his value is only going to go down as it runs out) they will still have to replace him. If Spurs want to stay at the top end of the League and even challenge to win it, they need a 25 goal a season striker and that's going to cost them say £30 million minimum. And anyone who costs that much is going to demand wages I would say comfortably in to 3 figures £K per week. So let's say they up Kane's wages to £100,000 per week it's still 300 weeks before they've paid out the £30 million a new player would cost.

What do the rest of you think about the Kane situation? Am I looking at it in a too simple way? Is he not as good as he's been hyped up to be?
If that's true that's absolutely scandalous. Here's a player who showed no loyalty to Newcastle, was awful for them when they got relegated, had a good Euros and somehow manoevered a move to Spurs and 100k a week!! Bad move Pochettino IMO, guy is so hot/cold

Sparky10Legend

If Spurs want to be considered a final destination club rather than a stop gap club then they need to pay much closer to market value.

Kane -130k per week realistically.
Ditto Lloris

saivet

Not true about Sissoko. Was reading earlier that Lloris is their highest earner on 80k/week. Kane is currently on 50-60k/week. Sissoko is somewhere in between but sounds Spurs tried offering him to be their second highest earner below Lloris' but Kane wants 120k/week.

Had no idea they were this tight with their money, but fair play to them.

Bwuk

Interesting to see what Spurs do here.

Kane is their most valuable player, and probably their most marketable. However, I wouldn't say he's their best, and if he wants a payrise, I can imagine quite a few others in their squad will want uplift as well.

I could see Levy cashing in on Kane at the end of this season. I really doubt that we will keep Zlatan, and I think Rooney will also go. I think United will be in the market for a striker, and I could see us offering a huge amount of money for Kane. I'd rather we didn't but unless he renews I reckon we'll be after him or Griezmann in the summer.

ChrisNelson

Not true about Sissoko. Was reading earlier that Lloris is their highest earner on 80k/week. Kane is currently on 50-60k/week. Sissoko is somewhere in between but sounds Spurs tried offering him to be their second highest earner below Lloris' but Kane wants 120k/week.

Had no idea they were this tight with their money, but fair play to them.
I've read and heard more than one source putting Sissoko's wages at £95,000 per week. Levy is apparently refusing to pay anyone over £100,000, Eriksen was demanding a huge increase and Spurs talked him down to £70,000. They have to be careful here because City, Arsenal, United, Liverpool you could argue are all heading in the right direction and Spurs could quite easily end up being the nearly team again.

DanClancy

Levy gets far too much praise, look at what they've paid for Sissoko and his contract. In total over the 5 years he'll cost them about £55m which is way over the odds and madness.

If Kane has another season like last then he's comfortably worthy of earning a minimum of £150k a week.

SirHenryPercy

Supports
spurs
I've read and heard more than one source putting Sissoko's wages at £95,000 per week. Levy is apparently refusing to pay anyone over £100,000, Eriksen was demanding a huge increase and Spurs talked him down to £70,000. They have to be careful here because City, Arsenal, United, Liverpool you could argue are all heading in the right direction and Spurs could quite easily end up being the nearly team again.
Really?

noodlehair

"It's like..."
He did very clearly say "you could argue", and you can certainly argue United are a better team than last season. Same with Arsenal and City, and Liverpool definitely are...and you can add Chelsea in as well. There's six teams chasing 4 places basically so something has to give, even if you do rule one of them out.

It's simple logic really. If Spurs want to be a top level team they WILL have to pay top level wages to their players. They have no excuse not to and without that the top players will go elsewhere.

SirHenryPercy

Supports
spurs
Every year we hear that Spurs will lose player X, Y & Z to all these other clubs.

Reality is that in the last 8 years we've lost 2 players that we wanted to keep, and both of them were to the biggest club in the world. In that timeframe Utd, Arsenal and Liverpool have also lost their top player to a bigger club.

SirHenryPercy

Supports
spurs
He did very clearly say "you could argue", and you can certainly argue United are a better team than last season. Same with Arsenal and City, and Liverpool definitely are...and you can add Chelsea in as well. There's six teams chasing 4 places basically so something has to give, even if you do rule one of them out.

It's simple logic really. If Spurs want to be a top level team they WILL have to pay top level wages to their players. They have no excuse not to and without that the top players will go elsewhere.
Right now you don't have to pay top level wages to compete with Arsenal, Chelsea and Utd. Spurs and to a lesser extent Liverpool (because their wages are about 25% higher than Spurs) are proving that, without even mentioning Leicester.

With City now they have Pep it might well be true.

finneh

Every year we hear that Spurs will lose player X, Y & Z to all these other clubs.

Reality is that in the last 8 years we've lost 2 players that we wanted to keep, and both of them were to the biggest club in the world. In that timeframe Utd, Arsenal and Liverpool have also lost their top player to a bigger club.
In the last 8 years how many players have you had that would be wanted by the richest 6 clubs in the world? From my reckoning you've had Bale and Modric, both of whom left for a bigger club. Tottenham not having quality players that big teams want is not the same as Tottenham suddenly and without logic being able to resist the pursuit of top teams. Lets look at the Spurs squads vs who's been sold:

08/09 season: Gomes, Zokora, Bentley, Lennon, Jenas, Pavluchenko, Bent, Modric, Corluka, King, Assou-Ekotto, Woodgate, Berbatov. One player that a top team would want, one player sold to a big club.

11/12 season: Bale, Modric, Kaboul, Lennon, Parker, Van Der Vaart, Livermore, Friedal, Walker, Assou-Ekotto, King, Sandro, Defoe. Two players that a top team would want, two players leaving for bigger clubs.

16/17 season: Lloris, Walker, Alderwiereld, Verthonghen, Rose, Dier, Dembele, Erikson, Lamela, Alli, Kane. Three players who if they carry on will be wanted by top teams. ???

SirHenryPercy

Supports
spurs
In the last 8 years how many players have you had that would be wanted by the richest 6 clubs in the world? From my reckoning you've had Bale and Modric, both of whom left for a bigger club. Tottenham not having quality players that big teams want is not the same as Tottenham suddenly and without logic being able to resist the pursuit of top teams. Lets look at the Spurs squads vs who's been sold:

08/09 season: Gomes, Zokora, Bentley, Lennon, Jenas, Pavluchenko, Bent, Modric, Corluka, King, Assou-Ekotto, Woodgate, Berbatov. One player that a top team would want, one player sold to a big club.

11/12 season: Bale, Modric, Kaboul, Lennon, Parker, Van Der Vaart, Livermore, Friedal, Walker, Assou-Ekotto, King, Sandro, Defoe. Two players that a top team would want, two players leaving for bigger clubs.

16/17 season: Lloris, Walker, Alderwiereld, Verthonghen, Rose, Dier, Dembele, Erikson, Lamela, Alli, Kane. Three players who if they carry on will be wanted by top teams. ???
Modric was a top player before he went and Chelsea were desperate to sign him. Bale would have been snapped up by any English club before going to Real. All attempts by English clubs to sign them were rebuffed.

Any English club would have signed Kane last summer but he's still at Spurs, same with Alderweireld who was head and shoulders the best CB in the PL last season but is still at Spurs.

Clubs have sniffed around Lloris, Rose and would no doubt be interested in Alli.

finneh

Modric was a top player before he went and Chelsea were desperate to sign him. Bale would have been snapped up by any English club before going to Real. All attempts by English clubs to sign them were rebuffed.

Any English club would have signed Kane last summer but he's still at Spurs, same with Alderweireld who was head and shoulders the best CB in the PL last season but is still at Spurs.

Clubs have sniffed around Lloris, Rose and would no doubt be interested in Alli.
The point isn't that they leave the second a big club is interested, the point is that they leave once their financial and trophy ambitions cannot be met by Spurs. At the moment Alli and Kane are young players who're happy with the exposure of first team football and the International appearances this brings. Unfortunately for Spurs their potential of winning trophies and their ability to pay top salaries will be outpaced by that of Kane and Alli (unless they have setbacks in their development).

I haven't seen any firm interest or even strong media reports in Kane, Alli, Lloris, Alderweireld or (laughs) Rose. As it stands none of these players would be worth the cost.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
The problem with recent discussion in this thread is that too many people are too ready to accept as gospel the various facts and figures bandied around in the media. I'd suggest a little less gullibility and little more healthy scepticism.

SirHenryPercy

Supports
spurs
The problem with recent discussion in this thread is that too many people are too ready to accept as gospel the various facts and figures bandied around in the media. I'd suggest a little less gullibility and little more healthy scepticism.
Like Eriksen's demands for 135k a week which was only 60k out.

SirHenryPercy

Supports
spurs
The point isn't that they leave the second a big club is interested, the point is that they leave once their financial and trophy ambitions cannot be met by Spurs. At the moment Alli and Kane are young players who're happy with the exposure of first team football and the International appearances this brings. Unfortunately for Spurs their potential of winning trophies and their ability to pay top salaries will be outpaced by that of Kane and Alli (unless they have setbacks in their development).

I haven't seen any firm interest or even strong media reports in Kane, Alli, Lloris, Alderweireld or (laughs) Rose. As it stands none of these players would be worth the cost.
You're completely guessing and no more, the fact remains that we've lost only 2 players in 8 years and both to the biggest club, certainly no English club got close to taking Modric or Bale off of us.

i doubt Levy will be worrying about losing any of his players unless Real or Barca come calling which for our current crop is unlikely.

And if you think there are many better LB's in the PL than Rose I'd love to know who they are?

And I don't know what you mean by strong media reports, we all know that they make it up as they go along.

I really can't see the likes of Kane and Alli falling over themselves to go to another English club, seriously which English club has that much appeal other than maybe City?

finneh

You're completely guessing and no more, the fact remains that we've lost only 2 players in 8 years and both to the biggest club, certainly no English club got close to taking Modric or Bale off of us.

i doubt Levy will be worrying about losing any of his players unless Real or Barca come calling which for our current crop is unlikely.

And if you think there are many better LB's in the PL than Rose I'd love to know who they are?

And I don't know what you mean by strong media reports, we all know that they make it up as they go along.

I really can't see the likes of Kane and Alli falling over themselves to go to another English club, seriously which English club has that much appeal other than maybe City?
Having only 2 players in the last 8 years that have been wanted by a top team is not an achievement. It's something you share with the majority of medium sized clubs in the League.

Levy won't be worrying about losing players, he'll be excited by the prospect of setting off a bidding war and if he can get them interested, selling abroad to PSG, Bayern, Madrid or Barcelona (even at a bit lower price to appease Spurs fans).

I think there are a few better left backs, but the standard of full backs in general at the moment is awful. Rose in any other era would be seen as a mid-table full back.

Kane and Alli will be falling over themselves to earn £250k a week in the next 2-3 years. By this point who knows what the landscape will look like. City could well be among the best cubs in the world, Chelsea under Conte could be likewise a very, very strong team. United will undoubtedly continue to spend and if history tells us anything it's that with Mourinho we're likely to win a trophy or two over the next couple of years.

With Lloris and Alderweireld we'll have to see. The former I can't really see improving any of the top teams apart from maybe City. The latter is a very good defender but one whom I'm not sure would justify a huge fee.

Mihai

City, Arsenal, Liverpool, Chelsea and United are more appealing than Spurs.

SirHenryPercy

Supports
spurs
Having only 2 players in the last 8 years that have been wanted by a top team is not an achievement. It's something you share with the majority of medium sized clubs in the League.

Levy won't be worrying about losing players, he'll be excited by the prospect of setting off a bidding war and if he can get them interested, selling abroad to PSG, Bayern, Madrid or Barcelona (even at a bit lower price to appease Spurs fans).

I think there are a few better left backs, but the standard of full backs in general at the moment is awful. Rose in any other era would be seen as a mid-table full back.

Kane and Alli will be falling over themselves to earn £250k a week in the next 2-3 years. By this point who knows what the landscape will look like. City could well be among the best cubs in the world, Chelsea under Conte could be likewise a very, very strong team. United will undoubtedly continue to spend and if history tells us anything it's that with Mourinho we're likely to win a trophy or two over the next couple of years.

With Lloris and Alderweireld we'll have to see. The former I can't really see improving any of the top teams apart from maybe City. The latter is a very good defender but one whom I'm not sure would justify a huge fee.
A top team is Barca, Real Madrid and possibly BM and no club in the PL has had more than 2 or 3 players in quite a while that would interest the top clubs so it's something we share with all PL clubs.

Regarding your Levy comment and his excitement you obviously have no idea how he thinks, he's not interested in bidding wars, you mistake that for him getting the best possible deal when he was left with little choice to sell Bake and Modric, similar to the other PL clubs when they've been forced to sell their best player. Like for instance Suarez and Ronaldo who are the only 2 who have been on the level of Modric and Bale.

A few better LB's, like who?

Could be, could be and might not be. As far as Mourinho is concerned he's no longer the big boy in this league and is unlikely to be again.

As for Alderweireld, what did Bailly cost £30m? Stones £50m, Mustafi £35m, based on that I'm pretty sure that Toby would be commanding a very big fee.

DanClancy

A top team is Barca, Real Madrid and possibly BM and no club in the PL has had more than 2 or 3 players in quite a while that would interest the top clubs so it's something we share with all PL clubs.

Regarding your Levy comment and his excitement you obviously have no idea how he thinks, he's not interested in bidding wars, you mistake that for him getting the best possible deal when he was left with little choice to sell Bake and Modric, similar to the other PL clubs when they've been forced to sell their best player. Like for instance Suarez and Ronaldo who are the only 2 who have been on the level of Modric and Bale.

A few better LB's, like who?

Could be, could be and might not be. As far as Mourinho is concerned he's no longer the big boy in this league and is unlikely to be again.

As for Alderweireld, what did Bailly cost £30m? Stones £50m, Mustafi £35m, based on that I'm pretty sure that Toby would be commanding a very big fee.
Spurs might get away with not paying Kane what he's worth for a but longer but the likes of Alderweireld won't put up with it, if he has another good season like last season his agent will be knocking on Levy's door looking for a new contract. He's one of centre half's in the league and would earn double what he does now at OT or at Chelsea.

Its hard to believe a player like Harry Kane with 2 brilliant seasons behind him is on £60,000 a week, its clearly a mile off what a player of his quality should be earning.

I agree Spurs are capable of keeping their best players as long as Real or Barca aren't in for them and as long as they are prepared to pay them the going rate but its only natural for a player to have his head turned when he can earn a few million more a year elsewhere; I'm sure Levy has had a few agents of existing players contact him since they decided to pay Sissoko £90,000 a week.

SirHenryPercy

Supports
spurs
Spurs might get away with not paying Kane what he's worth for a but longer but the likes of Alderweireld won't put up with it, if he has another good season like last season his agent will be knocking on Levy's door looking for a new contract. He's one of centre half's in the league and would earn double what he does now at OT or at Chelsea.

Its hard to believe a player like Harry Kane with 2 brilliant seasons behind him is on £60,000 a week, its clearly a mile off what a player of his quality should be earning.

I agree Spurs are capable of keeping their best players as long as Real or Barca aren't in for them and as long as they are prepared to pay them the going rate but its only natural for a player to have his head turned when he can earn a few million more a year elsewhere; I'm sure Levy has had a few agents of existing players contact him since they decided to pay Sissoko £90,000 a week.
I think people believe too much of what they read. Sissoko 90k a week is about as likely as Eriksen demanding 135k a week.

DanClancy

I think people believe too much of what they read. Sissoko 90k a week is about as likely as Eriksen demanding 135k a week.
Perhaps Sissoko isn't but it still wont stop certain players agents from pestering Levy looking to be paid the going rate.

Jaybomb

He's a good striker. Not a GREAT striker. Would I want him at United? To be honest, no.

Jaybomb

Its still debatable how good he actually is. When he's looked good he's looked really good but if he put in performances like in the euros consistently he'd be a nightmare.
Thats what worries me. When he's bad, he is incredibly frustrating.

He's not fast, he's not skillful, he can't dribble... he's not really particularly good at anything except finishing.

Plus, he can't take a set piece to save his life.

I think Rashford will be the better player in the long run. I wouldn't want us to splash crazy money on Kane when we can clearly attract bigger players.

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans
I don't think he's been very good at all this season. A few tap ins and penalties have given him a solid looking goals ratio but his all round game looks a level below what it was last season. Still very early on in but are Spurs fans concerned at all?

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
If Spurs want to be considered a final destination club rather than a stop gap club then they need to pay much closer to market value.

Kane -130k per week realistically.
Ditto Lloris
Or they just buy a german keeper for half the money who'll be as good as Llloris.

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
I don't think he's been very good at all this season. A few tap ins and penalties have given him a solid looking goals ratio but his all round game looks a level below what it was last season. Still very early on in but are Spurs fans concerned at all?
very true. And if I were a Spurs' fan I would not worry too much should he leave. They're not a one man team and they've got great leadership in Big Poch.

Nickosaur

Didn't he have a slow start last season? Yes, it was much earlier in the season when he did start banging them in again, but bear in mind he's been out for a while. Still think he's class.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Fantastic news - absolutely delighted and well deserved. 70 goals in 137 appearances for Spurs so far.