Harry Kane MBE | Performances

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Apologies for the late quote, just reading the thread.

Do you think he’d hang around with you if you were mid table and not in champions league places? Just because of his ‘fan like’ affinity for the club?

I think he’s just comfy at spurs tbh, not expected to win anything but still getting the glory of playing in big completions
I guess its all how you look at it.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Come on people,you can only be classed as a great player if you win things.Duh.
White text.White text.White text.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur

Do you think he’d hang around with you if you were mid table and not in champions league places? Just because of his ‘fan like’ affinity for the club?

I think he’s just comfy at spurs tbh, not expected to win anything but still getting the glory of playing in big completions
I'd argue Spurs are expected to win things and that is why there is such a flurry of posts in here for example whenever we have fallen short - if we were not expected to win anything nobody would make any comment. The fact that we have not yet won anything doesn't mean we are happy to accept that - we are pushing hard every year to make that next step - that isn't 'comfy'.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
I'd argue Spurs are expected to win things and that is why there is such a flurry of posts in here for example whenever we have fallen short - if we were not expected to win anything nobody would make any comment. The fact that we have not yet won anything doesn't mean we are happy to accept that - we are pushing hard every year to make that next step - that isn't 'comfy'.
I'd say you're definitely not expected to win things. No one expects you to win the Premier League or Champions League, and the two domestic cups are always a lottery. You could win them but no one expects Spurs to lift the trophy before the tournament starts.

The only team "expected" to win things in England at the moment is City.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
You are certainly not expected to win things. Win what? No one expects you to win the league or champions league. Maybe a league cup would be nice but no one cares about that anymore do they? I don’t think Poch does ?

Edit: ah well, @RobinLFC beat me to it

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham

No, loyalty has its limits. But the fact he's a fan means he's prepared to be more patient than others have, and because he believes we are capable of winning trophies he's prepared to stick with us. A world class striker like him would almost certainly have left the club by now if he had no affinity for it.

I mean .. he's happy? I don't think that means comfy. You can see how frustrated he gets when we fall short and honestly I think he's our player who wants a trophy the most, he's desperate for it. He's happy playing for this club but not content with the level we're at, no way.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets

I dont think his staying is unconditional. But from his point of view, he can ride out his contract another year, still be 26-27. Then put himself on the market, is there a team that would not be interested in his services?. Out and out striker in his prime, can guarantee you 20+ goals a season, all round professional, no Balotelli antics. Leader, works hard for the team, doesnt seem the type to sulk and throw his toys out of the pram. Not a lot of downside really to going in for him other than the astronomical cost.

But as it stands playing at the club he has beena fan of since he was young, on 200k/week, CL football. Doesnt seem all bad for Kane.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
I agree with this. However "forcing" Kane to start (he was never gonna say no) wasn't wise when he wasn't fit.
Probably not, but it's been overstated as a reason for us losing the final because it suits the narrative. None of our attacking players did anything of note. Son was probably the most dangerous but only because of pace, he didn't do anything decisive and was pretty comfortably shackled by VVD. I don't remember Eriksen doing anything and Alli was even worse than Kane. Lucas missed a chance when he came on, which is what he generally does anyway and the Ajax game was an anomaly, and looked quick as fresh legs off the bench .. but one great game doesn't make him some decisive game changer. Poch knew that and that's why he risked Kane, an actual world class forward.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Yes, of course.
I think if spurs were mid table he’d be wanting a move to a champions league club and this affinity would go out of the window. How do you look at it
Of course he would and I would say most Spurs fans wouldn't have a problem with it. That wasn't what I was responding to you about.

Supports
England
Bumping the thread after today's sensational improvisation.

There was a small amount of discussion in the matchday compilation thread following City vs Watford and Leicester vs Spurs about Kane vs Aguero to which I contributed. I'm pasting it here along with the context because it seems more relevant.

Aguero is a fantastic striker and is alongside Kane in the contemporary world top 5. Those two are far and away the picks of the modern PL and probably PL all-stars too (certainly statistically). I don't think there's much to choose between them, even though they both have very different styles of play and strengths/weaknesses.

Aguero misses sitters all the time, I suppose your stats still look good when you get 8 chances a game and score 2 of them though.

If he played for us he'd get about 15-16 goals a season.
This is exactly why I struggle with the debate between him and Kane. Kane somehow still has the same GPG as Aguero (both all-time highest in the PL) despite playing for a comparatively ordinary team. City are a complete and utter anomaly in the league for the third season running.

Since Kane's rise, there have only been two full seasons where Spurs have really looked like the kind of team in which a top striker could seriously challenge for and win individual honours (which is exactly what Kane did in those seasons: win the Golden Boot). Two seasons where Spurs have looked better than City as a team is probably a generous upper bound. The rest of the time, City have generally been on another planet.

One could easily imagine that Kane would be breaking records every season in this City team. Instead, he's been feeding off scraps for quite a while now. Today was a perfect example of why I don't consider Aguero better than Kane.

Kane's team was outplayed by a club outside the top six, rendering him only one clear chance and not much opportunity to impose himself in any sense. The goal he ended up scoring wasn't from a clear chance at all and required a dash of individual magic in one of his famous anti-dive moments[1].

Aguero's team, meanwhile, was absolutely rampant. He personally had several clear goalscoring opportunities (one of which was a sitter for any elite striker) and yet he ended up only scoring a penalty that he didn't win.

Not that there's anything wrong with scoring penalties, mind you. I hate the common attitude of "penalties aren't even real goals". You see goals scored that are significantly easier than penalties every weekend.

Completely unfairly, Kane is often associated with penalties while Aguero isn't, even though the latter currently gets as many and has already taken 50 in the league for City, which has undoubtedly made a massive contribution to his career tally. Pens are of at least equal importance to both players (for reference, PL penalties taken, not necessarily scored, for Kane is somewhere in the low-mid 20s from memory). That fact alone is not recognised anywhere near often enough in comparisons between them. I suspect the association has something to do with how good Kane is at pens, which is absolutely a notable skill in its own right and one that Kane has mastered beyond almost all other contemporary players.

Observing City matches closely - at times a painful affair, I concede - illustrates that the idea of too many cooks spoiling the broth is nonsense (i.e. the idea that having a lot of great players on the pitch who can contribute goals actually reduces any one individual player's chances of scoring). The reality is that everyone gets more chances in those teams unless there's a plague of selfishness, which certainly isn't the case at City and seems to be something that Pep doesn't tolerate in the squad.

Aguero is City's most selfish player (as he should be at CF). Kane, on the other hand, has become almost detrimentally unselfish (contrary to very outdated narratives about him) as he continues to drop deeper and deeper into unnatural roles rather than the out-and-out 9 that shot him to fame and the world's top 5 strikers. Forced, primarily, by the relative shortcomings of the players around him, Kane is having to work overtime to compensate for an inferior overall team, which mostly goes unnoticed and unheralded because that's just what happens when you have to cover someone else's work as well as your own (this stretches to real life equally).

Anyway, I really hope either Spurs sort their shit out or Kane moves because he deserves better than this absolute shambles. He doesn't even have a reliable Eriksen to make chances for him now and while he can create for himself, as we've all seen over the years, he's clearly at his imperious, unplayable best with a creative partner on the same wavelength.

[1] Kane has a bit of a reputation for diving these days but I don't think it's particularly deserved (not compared to the likes of, say, Salah -- or the super-tier with players like Neymar). Kane milks fouls and intentionally draws real ones on a pretty regular basis like basically every modern footballer but I've only seen him really try to create a foul out of nothing a handful of times. And he counterbalances it with what is essentially "anti-diving" (like today's goal where he was pushed, could've probably gone down and won a pen but didn't try). Another great example is when he got booted in the head by Bruno Alves (I think it was) against Portugal. It was a straight red card tackle: an utterly insane head-height studs-up lunge. Rather than milk it, Kane sprung up off the floor and attempted to continue his run. The tackle was so bad that the ref wouldn't allow an advantage but still.

Last edited:

RyRoc

I'd imagine he will have some serious thinking to do between now and the summer. He'll be 27 when next season starts and providing Spurs don't win anything will have absolutely zero trophies to his name. Very difficult for him to leave Spurs but can't help but feel their opportunity has gone for the next couple of years - how long can he afford to wait around?

Topgun1

Lewandowski lover
Supports
Arsenal
Last edited:

cjj

Supports
Spurs

Untd55

Will people stop with this bollocks that a player is only considered good because they are English? Kane is world-class; he is just not in the best form at the moment, but neither are Tottenham as a whole. Still, he has scored 5 and assisted 1 in 8 and that is when he is not on great form.

189 games - 130 goals and 23 assists (Premier League) This is almost as good as Van Nistlerooy's goal-scoring rate (Premier League)

21 games - 16 goals and 3 assists (Champion's League)

20 games - 12 goals and 3 assists (FA Cup)

---------------------------------------------------
230 games - 158 goals and 29 assists (Total)

17/18 was obviously his best season with 41 goals and 5 assists in 48 games. How can anyone question that he isn't one the best strikers in the world?

Last edited:

Topgun1

Lewandowski lover
Supports
Arsenal
Kane is miles better than Aubameyang, and it isn’t because he is English.
Isn’t Mane a wide forward, surely not a no.9.
Aubameyang is a far superior striker though starting from last season. They're literally not even close. Aubameyang has a higher number of goals and also a higher number of assists than Kane since the start of last season, with more goals from open play as %, and a higher goals-to-minutes ratio than Kane as well as a higher goals-from-shots conversion rate. He beats Kane on literally every objective metric imaginable. And that has continued this season with Aubameyang winning the PL player of month for September this year.

Other than skin colour, what makes you think Kane is "miles better than Aubameyang"?

Edit: Yes, I'm suggesting Sir ScottMcToMinay maybe subconsciously racially discriminatory. There's no way somebody could suggest Kane is "miles better" than Aubameyang when not one single factual statistic backs it up unless they're taking other factors into account.

And no, if he thinks he can wriggle away from his appalling comparison that Kane is somehow "miles better" then he's mistaken.

Last edited:

cjj

Supports
Spurs
Aubameyang is a far superior striker though starting from last season. They're literally not even close. Aubameyang has a higher number of goals and also a higher number of assists than Kane since the start of last season, with more goals from open play as %, and a higher goals-to-minutes ratio than Kane as well as a higher goals-from-shots conversion rate. He beats Kane on literally every objective metric imaginable. And that has continued this season with Aubameyang winning the PL player of month for September this year.

Other than skin colour, what makes you think Kane is "miles better than Aubameyang"?
Arsenal goggles alert!
Taking penalties a good start?

(also, even more credibility lost for the racial implication)

Sir Scott McToMinay

So you are a racist , good to know.

Topgun1

Lewandowski lover
Supports
Arsenal
Insulting another member
What the feck?
I'm suggesting Sir ScottMcToMinay maybe subconsciously racially discriminatory. There's no way somebody could suggest Kane is "miles better" than Aubameyang when not one single factual statistic backs it up unless they're taking other factors into account.

I would seriously be interested in how on earth he would be able to back this up. He said "miles better" when they're not even close (in Aubameyang's favour).

Sir Scott McToMinay

Insulting another member
I'm suggesting Sir ScottMcToMinay maybe subconsciously racially discriminatory. There's no way somebody could suggest Kane is "miles better" than Aubameyang when not one single factual statistic backs it up unless they're taking other factors into account.

I would seriously be interested in how on earth he would be able to back this up. He said "miles better" when they're not even close (in Aubameyang's favour).
Who the feck promotes these absolute clowns?
I’m green btw, do one dipshit.

AFC NimbleThumb

You’ve come to the wrong place if you’re expecting a nuanced discussion on ‘subtle’ racism.

It’s been good knowing you for a few posts, I’ll be sure to keep the Auba love alive but RaceKKKaf assault en route in 3,2,1. . .

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
You’ve come to the wrong place if you’re expecting a nuanced discussion on ‘subtle’ racism.

It’s been good knowing you for a few posts, I’ll be sure to keep the Auba love alive but RaceKKKaf assault en route in 3,2,1. . .
I'm not sure how you've managed to out-mental a post suggesting racism is the only reason someone would say Kane is better than Aboomerang but hey, well done. I guess.

Sir Scott McToMinay

How are so many threads being diverted to skin colour?

I am honestly puzzled :confused:
Anyone who brings race into discussions about footballers, I don’t care whether they are black or self hating whites or just lifeless weirdos, but assuming some one is racist because he prefers a player who is widely lauded as one of the finest strikers in the world, is just ridiculous.

AFC NimbleThumb

I'm not sure how you've managed to out-mental a post suggesting racism is the only reason someone would say Kane is better than Aboomerang but hey, well done. I guess.
If you’re taking that post with any level of seriousness then I pity you.

Having been involved in the Pogba, Lukaku & Silva discussions involving race in the past I found this guy’s comment hilarious; but not more so than most of the ‘progressives’ that post in those threads.

Needless to say, jog on.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
If you’re taking that post with any level of seriousness then I pity you.

Having been involved in the Pogba, Lukaku & Silva discussions involving race in the past I found this guy’s comment hilarious; but not more so than most of the ‘progressives’ that post in those threads.

Needless to say, jog on.
You seem like a pleasant individual.

Skorenzy

Somewhere, someone's irony meter just imploded.

AFC NimbleThumb

How are so many threads being diverted to skin colour?

I am honestly puzzled :confused:
I can see how others have but this was an outlandish reach from @Topgun1

Seriously undermines any discussion about the subject; a good lesson things can go both ways when this issue [race] arises.

Oga on top.

Supports
Liverpool
To be fair, the notion that Kane is ‘miles better’ than Aubameyang is a bit mental. He’s not better at all and the only logical reason I would choose Kane over the latter is because he is four years younger.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
A fully fit Kane playing in a functional side (I.e definitely not Spurs for a while now) can score 40+ all comps while being a domineering striker who isn’t allergic to scoring vs the top six and doesn’t only touch the ball two or three times a game.

Sadly, the Spurs team round him now is a dysfunctional mess. We don’t play to his strengths whatsoever. It’s actually laughable we have this world class striker who we play in this weird undefined role because Poch doesn’t really have an attacking system. The lack of any service from out wide for a guy like Kane is genuinely tragic too.