Harry Kane MBE | Performances

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
I just can't see Spurs having a realistic chance of reaching top-4 without Kane. The guy has scored more than 1/3 of their League goals in the last 4.5 seasons.

But his stats at Spurs over the last 18 months are interesting. In 15/16 through17/18 - he basically scored ever 1.2 game or so.

During his last 18 months - those stats have dropped to one goal every 1.8 game or so. The question of course being - have Spurs suffered because of him not performing as well, or has Kane suffered because Spurs haven't performed as well.

And he turns 27 this summer - I just can't see Kane staying more than 1 more season unless Spurs improves a lot.
You are basing his all round performance on goals alone, his down turn on goals has coincided with the Eriksen mess and the shite performance of the team in the last 12 months. He has had to drop deeper to do the job Eriksen was doing. Whats his goal return for England like in the last 12 months?

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Vardy is top, but Kane really does perform for England. May even be fair to say he's a better player for England than he is for Spurs these days.

Still... I think a front three of Sancho - Rashford - Sterling has a bit more flexibility and fluidity to it than having Kane as the no.9 does. Whether that means it'll be better? Not sure.

saivet

England dont have him. He's retired from international duty.
Vardy said he'd consider coming back if needed. I think if Kane is out of the Euros and Southgate wants him to lead the line, he'll come out of retirement.

Don't see him coming back if Southgate is planning on playing Abraham or Rashford as the no.9 though.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
England dont have him. He's retired from international duty.
If you start Vardy in every game at the Euros he'd definitely come out of retirement and I reckon we should. Him with Rashford/Sancho/Sterling on the wings and Maddison or Grealish behind would be top.

Kostur

海尔的老板
If you start Vardy in every game at the Euros he'd definitely come out of retirement and I reckon we should. Him with Rashford/Sancho/Sterling on the wings and Maddison or Grealish behind would be top.
Okay but who'll score penalties for England then?

Also bloody hell, you just made me realise Grealish is actually English. Thought he was Irish.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Completely agree, on all counts.

And I'd go further and say that, in my opinion, a fit Vardy is a better, more tactically flexible striker than a fit Kane.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
I think Spurs really need to be careful with Kane. There is probably a push from the player to keep playing every game because he just loves scoring goals, but it is all going to catch up with him.

He is being rushed back from injuries and overplayed (we can twist stats, but he rarely gets game time off), and he isn’t the most athletic player. He is a fantastic finisher and has amazing vision and link up play, but he doesn’t strike me as naturally athletic. Although appearances can be deceiving.

We have seen it before though, even with great hope English strikers. Owen finished in his mid twenties, Rooney not really making it until thirty. Yes, Kane started later, but he also has problems with his ankles and is now developing muscle injuries on top of that. It is his body saying he needs a break.

Although pace isn’t a massive side of Harry’s game, I can see his body starting to break down if he isn’t protected from himself. Tottenham have gold dust in Kane and need to protect what they have in him.

They would be best served using yet another spell on the sidelines to finally get an able deputy, who they can feel will contribute properly, so they can avoid having a broken down Kane at 30.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Completely agree, on all counts.

And I'd go further and say that, in my opinion, a fit Vardy is a better, more tactically flexible striker than a fit Kane.
All Vardy can do that Kane can't is have the pace to run after balls over the top of defenders and get in behind. What he can't offer which Kane can is hold-up play and his passing ability when setting up attacks. Vardy is much more limited as a footballer than Kane is and if anything is only really good if you play one tactic (getting him to run onto balls with his pace) rather than Kane who can do way more and be effective in more tactical moves because his overall standard of play is that much better. Some rather odd views in this thread.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
He is by far the best striker England have, it's not even close.
Match fit no one's denying that, but there's a very big chance Kane will be short of sharpness come the summer.

I can't recall a single time rushing Kane back has worked well, I remember the game you finally broke your Stamford Bridge hoodoo he was coming back from an injury and I was actually disappointed he wasn't immediately thrown back in.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
All Vardy can do that Kane can't is have the pace to run after balls over the top of defenders and get in behind. What he can't offer which Kane can is hold-up play and his passing ability when setting up attacks. Vardy is much more limited as a footballer than Kane is and if anything is only really good if you play one tactic (getting him to run onto balls with his pace) rather than Kane who can do way more and be effective in more tactical moves because his overall standard of play is that much better. Some rather odd views in this thread.
I agree that Kane is a better striker overall than Vardy and a fully fit Kane I would rather have than a fully fit Vardy but it isn't as big of a stretch as you're insinuating. Kane has definitely regressed a bit (probably due to the niggling injuries and decline of Eriksen as you mention) which means he has had to adjust a little bit in playing style but he definitely hasn't been as good as he's been prior to the World Cup really. Since then he's sort of levelled off. Vardy is an outstanding player if you play to his strengths as you allude to and there isn't really a striker in football that can be as lethal as him in that regard. If Kane is going into the Euros on a level of 75% fitness and Vardy isn't injured then it makes complete sense to take Vardy. The England set-up with pace in the attacking trio and hopefully a creative 10 or 8 behind (Southgate will see how much we need a creative force like Maddison/Grealish I reckon) suits Vardy more than Kane.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I agree that Kane is a better striker overall than Vardy and a fully fit Kane I would rather have than a fully fit Vardy but it isn't as big of a stretch as you're insinuating. Kane has definitely regressed a bit (probably due to the niggling injuries and decline of Eriksen as you mention) which means he has had to adjust a little bit in playing style but he definitely hasn't been as good as he's been prior to the World Cup really. Since then he's sort of levelled off. Vardy is an outstanding player if you play to his strengths as you allude to and there isn't really a striker in football that can be as lethal as him in that regard. If Kane is going into the Euros on a level of 75% fitness and Vardy isn't injured then it makes complete sense to take Vardy. The England set-up with pace in the attacking trio and hopefully a creative 10 or 8 behind (Southgate will see how much we need a creative force like Maddison/Grealish I reckon) suits Vardy more than Kane.
Don't get me wrong - if Kane isn't fit enough then he shouldn't play and yes Vardy is a great option. Some folk appeared to be suggesting that even if Kane was fit there were better options.

Freeney

Supports
Djibouti FC
Not sure if missing Kane would be all that bad for England. He gets way to selfish in tournaments and looks slow and tired.

flappyjay

Very good of him. But my takeaway was that there is too much money in the epl if a player can sponsor another professional club.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
Match fit no one's denying that, but there's a very big chance Kane will be short of sharpness come the summer.

I can't recall a single time rushing Kane back has worked well, I remember the game you finally broke your Stamford Bridge hoodoo he was coming back from an injury and I was actually disappointed he wasn't immediately thrown back in.
This is key, Kane's stats are on par with the likes of Aguero and Henry, and that too in a good but not great Spurs team. Certainly not on the level of The Invincibles or City of recent times.

All three have a decent gap to the next group of top strikers and are all very close to each other for goals/game ratio. But are you getting the peak fitness match sharpness Kane or a limping back from long injury layoff Kane?

Luke1995

Tottenham can always win a cup here or there, but to win the Premier League is a long term project given where Liverpool and City are at in terms of the level of players they have.

Their best chance to win the CL came under Poch. It will be very hard for Tottenham to show the same form and have the same luck in knockout games.

I think Harry stays until the euros at least. There's a possibility he'll leave in summer 2021 if not enough progress has been made.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I'd say its stupid to leave spurs whilst Jose is there.

I absolutely cant stand that manager - but even if he is a shadow of his former self, I'm sure jose will win spurs something. Maybe FA cups or an Europa league - maybe something more or less,- but Kane wont leave Spurs empty handed after Jose's tenure. Jose knows how to have a single good season with a club and turn them in to winners.

Move after Jose's tenure.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
I'd say its stupid to leave spurs whilst Jose is there.

I absolutely cant stand that manager - but even if he is a shadow of his former self, I'm sure jose will win spurs something. Maybe FA cups or an Europa league - maybe something more or less,- but Kane wont leave Spurs empty handed after Jose's tenure. Jose knows how to have a single good season with a club and turn them in to winners.

Move after Jose's tenure.
But there’s an opportunity cost. Staying because he may win something - potentially at the expense of actually enjoying playing - especially when the likelihood is that it’ll be a second tier trophy; isn’t the best option if he can go somewhere else and compete for the very top honours.

If he loves to Real, or Bayern for example, he’ll be in the hunt for league titles and European cups. If he comes to United, he’s coming to a side who can challenge for the title with him involved. And play for an attacking side that can pay a lot more money. Worse case, he competes for the same second tier trophies that Spurs may.

Kane is about to turn 27. Peak of his career. He should move now. He should be playing for one of the worlds best teams while he still can.

RyRoc

Just can’t see a way out for him in the next couple of years , especially now after Corona saga as can’t see any situation where Spurs dramatically drop their price- he’s the one player they won’t do that for. I can’t see him making his position at the club untenable even if he was desperate to leave, which we don’t even know if he is. Best he just gets his head down once football returns , remind everyone how good he is and maybe reevaluate the situation in 18 months time when I think I’m right in saying he’d only have 2 years left on his deal.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
I also think Jose will win something, certainly not the PL, but an FA or League cup, maybe Europa. The Spurs fans are desperate for a cup, what was the last thing they won? I dont recall anything under Redknapp, Villas Boas, Sherwood, or Pochettino.

Kane will probably stick it out a full season under Jose, if there are no changes, Spurs still struggling for a CL spot, poor FA and League cup showings, he is gone. RM, Bayern, Juve, one of the big European powerhouses where he can pick up a few trophies.

Will be interesting to see what he does if Spurs do pick up a League cup or something under Jose.

DWelbz19

That’s mental, but at the same time unsurprising. The positions he receives the ball in this Spurs are hilarious. He is genuinely a defensive striker (copyright Bobby No Goals).

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
I also think Jose will win something, certainly not the PL, but an FA or League cup, maybe Europa. The Spurs fans are desperate for a cup, what was the last thing they won? I dont recall anything under Redknapp, Villas Boas, Sherwood, or Pochettino.

Kane will probably stick it out a full season under Jose, if there are no changes, Spurs still struggling for a CL spot, poor FA and League cup showings, he is gone. RM, Bayern, Juve, one of the big European powerhouses where he can pick up a few trophies.

Will be interesting to see what he does if Spurs do pick up a League cup or something under Jose.
It was Juande Ramos, league cup 2007/08

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Where could he go?

Man United? Maybe if Martial left.

Man City? Aguero replacement?

Liverpool? Can't seem them spending the money.

Bayern to replace Lewandowski? Real Madrid to replace Benzema?

Varun

Staff
Where could he go?

He's stuck due to the stupid contract he signed. Will need to absolutely create a stink to make Levy take a reasonable deal. But yes, once you get in that range, every club will want him. Absolutely elite striker.

DWelbz19

Where could he go?

Both are those players are both better than him and still at the peak of their powers. No way he ends up anywhere else in the league any time soon. He’ll have to grit his teeth and outlast Mourinho. Kane is contracted until 2024 and nobody is in need of a forward for at least another season.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Both are those players are both better than him and still at the peak of their powers. No way he ends up anywhere else in the league any time soon. He’ll have to grit his teeth and outlast Mourinho. Kane is contracted until 2024 and nobody is in need of a forward for at least another season.
Both are approaching their mid-30s and will need replacing soon. From the players point of view they've both won the lot, been at each club for years and might fancy a change.