Harry Kane MBE | Performances

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Both are approaching their mid-30s and will need replacing soon. From the players point of view they've both won the lot, been at each club for years and might fancy a change.
This all presupposes Kane still being good, but we’ll go with it. How soon is now? As I say; Benzema is basically on his best goalscoring season ever and Lewandowski has 52 goals this season (which probably is his best too, actually!) Realistically both have another 2 seasons in them. 1 at the very least if either somehow fall off a cliff.

When it comes to replacements, I think both will be looking elsewhere, too. Madrid have already been burned by a Spurs-British-expat with injury issues, and Bayern tend to skimp out on transfer fees; it’s definitely not in their MO to pay big for ‘older’ players — as above, Kane will be 28 (more likely 29+) before Lewandowski/Benzema genuinely need to be replaced.
——
As stated initially; this wasn’t taking into account the actual performances and statistics of Kane.

He is statistically declining; in 2017/18 he scored 37 goals (all comps for these stats). In 2018/19 he scored 22 goals. This season he has 19 goals, and his overall performance level appears to be plummeting.

If we assume he continues this downward trajectory (which I absolutely believe he will under Mourinho), why would the likes of Bayern, Madrid, or the domestic big boys even be interested?

Like I said, Kane’s made his bed until 2024 and he’ll have to uncomfortably lie in behind the ball with the rest of his side.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
This all presupposes Kane still being good, but we’ll go with it. How soon is now? As I say; Benzema is basically on his best goalscoring season ever and Lewandowski has 52 goals this season (which probably is his best too, actually!) Realistically both have another 2 seasons in them. 1 at the very least if either somehow fall off a cliff.

When it comes to replacements, I think both will be looking elsewhere, too. Madrid have already been burned by a Spurs-British-expat with injury issues, and Bayern tend to skimp out on transfer fees; it’s definitely not in their MO to pay big for ‘older’ players — as above, Kane will be 28 (more likely 29+) before Lewandowski/Benzema genuinely need to be replaced.
——
As stated initially; this wasn’t taking into account the actual performances and statistics of Kane.

He is statistically declining; in 2017/18 he scored 37 goals (all comps for these stats). In 2018/19 he scored 22 goals. This season he has 19 goals, and his overall performance level appears to be plummeting.

If we assume he continues this downward trajectory (which I absolutely believe he will under Mourinho), why would the likes of Bayern, Madrid, or the domestic big boys even be interested?

Like I said, Kane’s made his bed until 2024 and he’ll have to uncomfortably lie in behind the ball with the rest of his side.
Yep I don’t think anyone would buy him anymore at the quoted price.

He has made an awful decision and will probably never experience winning a trophy and will always be a big fish small pond, what if player.

DWelbz19

Also, don’t get me wrong — I do rate Kane highly (or at the very least I did, I do think his qualities are depreciating, I’m yet to figure out if it’s all individual based or if Mourinho/Spurs are exacerbating the matter) — but I don’t think he’s worth the bother for anyone to buy him. City would be the only team who should be considering him, but even then that’s not something for another season or so as Aguero is still kicking it to a high standard.

DWelbz19

Matt Le Tissier with more England caps.
He could still try for Shearer’s record. I mean he’ll probably have to play until he’s about 40 but it’s possible!

Berbasbullet

Matt Le Tissier with more England caps.
Yep! I would have said Shearer is a good comparison as Kane will finish his career with a similarly insane goal tally, but at least Shearer won some trophies before the boyhood move.

I suppose to be fair he will probably beat Rooneys record and maybe could win an international honour as this England team looks tasty, but when that’s your best chance of a trophy then you’re in trouble. :lol:

DelPotro

What on earth was he thinking when he signed that 6 years contract? No clubs would spend 100m on him anymore. There are younger and less injury prone strikes like Haaland and Lanturo available.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Yep! I would have said Shearer is a good comparison as Kane will finish his career with a similarly insane goal tally, but at least Shearer won some trophies before the boyhood move.

I suppose to be fair he will probably beat Rooneys record and maybe could win an international honour as this England team looks tasty, but when that’s your best chance of a trophy then you’re in trouble. :lol:
Shearer won the Premier League and also got to play for the club he supported as a kid. I guess Kane could move to Arsenal to make the second part happen.

Berbasbullet

Shearer won the Premier League and also got to play for the club he supported as a kid. I guess Kane could move to Arsenal to make the second part happen.
:lol: I think we would all enjoy seeing that.

E-mal

Where could he go?

Man United? Maybe if Martial left.

Man City? Aguero replacement?

Liverpool? Can't seem them spending the money.

Bayern to replace Lewandowski? Real Madrid to replace Benzema?
That would be a transfer that might upset our setup. We have Martial who would score lots of goals and given the option between Sancho and Kane, most people will opt for the former. We have Greenwood who will get games through the middle and generally feel Martial compliments the likes of Rashford, Greenwood and Sancho better.

He is undoubtedly a quality player though and he might have to leave spurs, say Man-city or Barca if Suarez leaves.

Classical Mechanic

Also, don’t get me wrong — I do rate Kane highly (or at the very least I did, I do think his qualities are depreciating, I’m yet to figure out if it’s all individual based or if Mourinho/Spurs are exacerbating the matter) — but I don’t think he’s worth the bother for anyone to buy him. City would be the only team who should be considering him, but even then that’s not something for another season or so as Aguero is still kicking it to a high standard.
I don’t think evidence shows that he is declining. His goal scoring and assists for England is the best it’s ever been. He has 36 goals and assists in the past 28 games for England over the past 3 years. 21 in 15 since the World Cup in 2018.

If you look at Kane’s xG he’s one of the best about in over performing and is still over performing it. Lewandowski and Benzema generally perform worse in that regard.

https://understat.com/player/647

https://understat.com/player/2370

https://understat.com/player/227

Over the past 6 seasons Kane has scored 22 more than expected, Lewandowski 6 less than expected and Benzema 5 less than expected in their respective leagues. Worth pointing out that last season Lewandowski scored an incredible 11 less than expected (the worst I’ve seen) but still managed 22 league goals.

I‘d argue the disparities in goals from the players comes from the teams that they play in and the chances their team mates create for them. If you look at key passes in the PL this season, now Eriksen has left Spurs only have 1 player in the highest key passes per game stat in the top 50! That player is Son at 25. City have 4 players ahead of Son and Liverpool 3. Both those teams have key passers in the top 5. Spurs only have 3 players in the top 75 with Aurier at 56 and Alli at 74!

https://www.whoscored.com/Regions/2...erStatistics/England-Premier-League-2019-2020

Bayern have 3 in the top 25 including 2 in the top 5 with Muller 1st.

https://www.whoscored.com/Regions/8...PlayerStatistics/Germany-Bundesliga-2019-2020

Real also have 3 in the top 25 (although Benzema is one) and one in the top 10 (Kroos).

https://www.whoscored.com/Regions/2...17702/PlayerStatistics/Spain-LaLiga-2019-2020

Worth noting that in the league and CL Kane has a better goals per minute ratio than Benzema this season.

Im not making an argument about who is the better player here, merely casting scepticism that Kane is declining. I’d argue that he’d score 35 - 50 goals a season in a high chance creation side.

All that said, I agree with you that there’s no team in world football where signing him makes sense at this point in time. Real should probably consider it they have the funds, however.

CM10

Honestly wouldn't want Kane anywhere near us atm. He'd still command a massive fee and there are too many question marks over him right now. A fluid front three is the right way to go and it looks like that's what Solskjaer wants too.

Once Spurs get a more progressive manager in Kane might have a bit of a resurgence but that team needs investment. With Moura, Son and Bergwijn you've got the bones of a decent attack but they will all be stifled as long as Mourinho is there.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Kane is a fantastic player but suits City more than he suits United.

DWelbz19

@Classical Mechanic he's a lot better for England than he is for Spurs, I’ll give you that. I’m not going to touch on xG stuff. Actual goals for Spurs have declined for two seasons straight. But like I say — you could be right as to whether the decline is on Kane himself or the players and manager around him.

cyberman

——

I agree with this. If you are a creative midfielder in your side then Kane is the last striker you want to play with. He congests the space, drops deep to take the ball off you and limits the forward pass because he's standing right next to you.
Look the the Bournmouth game, Aurier is putting in cross after cross and Kane isnt there. It makes the crosses look like shit.
If you took all those videos explaining what Martial was doing wrong from 5 months ago, all those criticisms of not getting in the box more, not making runs across the defenders or getting on the end of cross, and put Kane in they would hold water for his standard of forward play these days

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Lack of sharpness at the moment. I notice he looks lazy, lacks of movement to stretch defense, doesn't hold the ball as often as he used to. Still not fit.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
I think his peak is over. He looks nowhere near the Kane of 2015-2017.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
What on earth was he thinking when he signed that 6 years contract? No clubs would spend 100m on him anymore. There are younger and less injury prone strikes like Haaland and Lanturo available.
He's pants.

JulesWinnfield

West Brom Fan
You guys really don't like Kane do you? I remember when he first had his breakthrough season he was compared unfavourably with the other young strikers at the time on here like Alcacer, now prepared to throw him on the scrapheap at 26. I think to some extent he suffers from his basically old fashioned English striker build leading him to be compared unfavourably with other more fashionable players.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
You guys really don't like Kane do you? I remember when he first had his breakthrough season he was compared unfavourably with the other young strikers at the time on here like Alacacer, now prepared to throw him on the scrapheap at 26. I think to some extent he suffers from his basically old fashioned English striker build.
In some ways he is actually underrated here I think because he isn't a flashy player and is English. He now has scored over 20 goals in all competitions for 6 years in a row. He is absolutely one of the best strikers in the world and without doubt one of the finest that England has ever produced.

el3mel

People here immediately call any player finished once he has a period of bad form. Guy is 26 years old only and there are some who actually think he's past his best.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
It's funny they put Ronaldo in there when you consider how many games he played as a winger in the beginning of his career :rolleyes:
Well you could also point out how many of those 350 games Kane only played as a sub (59) when he was just starting out as a young player. Did Ronaldo play 379 games as a winger?

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
He cops a lot of stick on here, but , well, it is a Man Utd forum. He comes back from 6-7 months out with injury and people are instantly on his back, he is finished, he looks tired, he's lost it etc. Kane is clearly world class, the Man Utd of old under Sir Alex would have probably gone all out to poach him, but those days are long gone.

I think the most impressive thing about the 200 club goals stat is he has done that at Spurs. A team with no where near the squad quality of say a M.City or Pool. Yeah they were good under Pochettino, but still not in the RM, Barcelona, Bayern, City class.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Well you could also point out how many of those 350 games Kane only played as a sub (59) when he was just starting out as a young player. Did Ronaldo play 379 games as a winger?
The majority of United games he did IMO.

Certainly way, way more than Kane as a sub.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Lets se if Kane can keep up for the next 200 with Ronaldo.... he's only got about 150 games to do that...
Nobody has suggested that Kane is better than Ronaldo. It will be interesting to see how he does though. I also wonder how many goals Kane would score playing for a team like Real Madrid (id hate to see it though)

Last edited:

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
No, just around 250 games.

Also just in Sporting and ManUtd career he came on as a sub in 65 games. He reached 204 goals in 2011-12, by that time he came on as sub in 71 games.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
21 goals in 32 Spurs games but 31 goals in 38 total appearances (including internationals) this year which has been an awful year for him.