Harry Kane - new contract?

kaku06

To me it's not meaningless at all. As a player you are always assessed against your peers. He has never done it at the business end of a major tournament or league compared to players like Lewa and Benzema who have and will be looked at far more fondly than he will when time passes because currently he has nothing to show for all those goals. Heck, even Lukaku who is a lesser player went to Inter and won the league while being POTY. Kane has never done something like that and likely never will if he stays at Spurs and I'm surprised people don't think that is something which he should question.
That’s what you think and would like to do. But see from his perspective, becoming the greatest ever premier league record goal scorer doesn’t happen every year, you have a shot at winning silverware every year but not this. This is his hard work of more than a decade, this is the prize of his whole career and the ultimate one. There is a good chance no one would be able to beat it again, not anytime soon atleast.

He may win something with spurs, he may not. If he goes to Chelsea or even us if and a big if we do well under ten hag, his chances of winning silverware increases even more. Nothing is guaranteed except for one thing that if he stays in the premier league, he would get that record. No chance he decides to forgo overtaking Shearer when he is this close.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Conte is a funny funny man. Had the summer he wanted for transfers, really good start to the season yet he can't help but put pressure on his board to do more.

A big club should be looking to get Kane tied down now, and Kane would be stupid to tie himself down.

But Conte can't help himself.

Enigma_87

You know who
It doesn't make him a better player but when people look in the history books they'll look at his career and see he's done absolutely nothing with it. It's the missing piece of the jigsaw. For all his exploits his goals have never fired Spurs to do anything. His goals could and likely would fire Bayern/PSG/Whoever to a title. Not just that but Bayern and PSG are capable of being genuine CL contenders. Spurs aren't and he's never done it at the cutting edge of a tournament or league.
This is spot on.

Telmo Zarra was the top scorer in Spain before Ronaldo/Messi yet for regular observers he was just an odd name in the history books.

Kane winning 3-4 BL titles or even French titles would do him better than career with nothing to show for.

Rojofiam

I can see us being a serious possibility for him next summer, or in 2024 on a free. That is, if we show progress this season and show that we are serious about returning to the elite.

BerryBerryShrew

His legacy would be far better being the top Premier League goalscorer in history than it would leaving next summer to pick up a domestic double at PSG.
I was just about to say this. Kane definitely has one eye on Shearer's record so I'd imagine he'd only move abroad if there's no interest from within England. I'd think we'd definitely be in for him if the price is reasonable (unlikely with Cheeseroom Levy doing the negotiations) and if Newcastle have abandoned their caution a year from now he would be a perfect statement signing.

He will sign it. Nobody challenging for a major league anywhere is going to pay what Levy will want for him, and I'm not sure which of those teams he gets in anyway. His style, age, and declining physical abilities all make it difficult for him, he has to be the focal point rather than the cog in a machine that the best teams require now. He seems destined to be a big fish in a small pond much the way Shearer was. City was his big chance but now they have Haaland.

tomaldinho1

I was just about to say this. Kane definitely has one eye on Shearer's record so I'd imagine he'd only move abroad if there's no interest from within England. I'd think we'd definitely be in for him if the price is reasonable (unlikely with Cheeseroom Levy doing the negotiations) and if Newcastle have abandoned their caution a year from now he would be a perfect statement signing.
Not sure, Shearer's record is still 73 goals away, he's turns 30 this season and has seen Spurs fail to get close to where they were under Poch. He can definitely do it (and I know life doesn't stop at 30 for footballers) but I'd personally want to win the CL over any domestic goals record. Even now, without it being too far in the past, people look past Shearer as a great striker - he never really gets the credit he deserves for essentially doing what Kane is doing in a mostly CL club but in a mid table and often relegation flirting Newcastle.

I don't think he'll sign it, he made the error before and there's no reason at all he wold do it now. 2024 is 2 full seasons away, it will be his last chance to move to an elite team (and he can probably move next summer if he wants given Levy won't lose him for nothing).

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
For people who think that the goalscoring record is an excellent legacy to have, do you think Shearer is seen as highly as a player as others in his era who actually won things despite having that record?

Ole'sgunnarwin

The only teams I'd have as better than Tottenham in Europe for sure are Madrid and City. I think Liverpool have dropped a level and theirs and Spurs squads have a similar level. I'd put Munich in that category too. Spurs could easily win nothing and bottle competitions because its in their DNA. Ignoring their history, I've been very impressed with Conte and their signings. They've started with good results and Son hasn't even got going. I think some are underrating them here tbh.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
He will sign it. Nobody challenging for a major league anywhere is going to pay what Levy will want for him, and I'm not sure which of those teams he gets in anyway. His style, age, and declining physical abilities all make it difficult for him, he has to be the focal point rather than the cog in a machine that the best teams require now. He seems destined to be a big fish in a small pond much the way Shearer was. City was his big chance but now they have Haaland.
He's less than two years away from going on free transfer and getting a ridiculous payday at age of 30/31.

I think it's similar to Van Persie. Probably no one thought he'd leave Arsenal as he was very settled but he decided at 29 he had to go move on and did it and won the league before he surprisingly quickly declined.

Swedish_Plumber

For people who think that the goalscoring record is an excellent legacy to have, do you think Shearer is seen as highly as a player as others in his era who actually won things despite having that record?
He’s often left out of the best ever PL discussions bizarrely. Despite having won the PL he’s omitted yet Gerrard gets on regularly :houllier:

CM10

Kane would be smart to wait until at least the end of the season. He pushed hard for the City move so he must have ambitions beyond Spurs if he doesn't feel they can challenge or at least qualify for the Champions League.

Conte's also a pretty volatile manager. You could see things turning quickly at Spurs if he ends up leaving and then they're pretty much back to square one. Kane has to be wary of locking himself into another long-term contract if the club aren't going to match his ambitions.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
He absolutely should be if he isn't. I think a lot of people were still kids when Shearer was in his pomp. Those of us that saw him play regularly know how good he was.

BarcaSpurs

He's regarded as a better player than the likes of Cole, Owen and Sherringham so yes.

Someone like Higuain will be remembered more for his insane time at Napoli than at Juventus or Real Madrid where he won trophies.

Del Piero won miles more than Totti but isnt regarded any higher despite similar levels of ability.

I just don't think your argument holds up too well.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
He's regarded as a better player than the likes of Cole, Owen and Sherringham so yes.

Someone like Higuain will be remembered more for his insane time at Napoli than at Juventus or Real Madrid where he won trophies.

Del Piero won miles more than Totti but isnt regarded any higher despite similar levels of ability.

Personally I think players like Shevchenko, Ronaldo, Raul, Bergkamp, Henry, Romario, Baggio etc. in the wider realms of football during that time are revered as highly or more so as strikers/forwards. Shearer often gets seen as a player who had far more to give as a player and there are always questions poised to him about his career and what could have been due to his decisions. Kane doesn't want to be in that same position of doubt and he'd remove that with trophies. Additionally as I have alluded to in my other posts, Kane has never done it at the business end of a league/tournament like any of the others in his era. Shearer has at least won a league whilst being the star man.

Last edited:

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Personally I think players like Shevchenko, Ronaldo, Raul, Bergkamp, Henry, Romario, Baggio etc. in the wider realms of football during that time are revered as highly or more so as strikers/forwards. Shearer often gets seen as a player who had far more to give as a player and there are always questions poised to him about his career and what could have been due to his decisions. Kane doesn't want to be in that same position of doubt and he'd remove that with trophies. Additionally as I have aluded to in my other posts, Kane has never done it at the business end of a league/tournament like any of the others. Shearer has at least won a league whilst being the star man.
Really can't agree with that at all. Most people in the game agree that Shearer was one of the greatest strikers of his generation and an all time great premier League striker. He went to his boyhood club hoping to win things but they just fell short plus he had some bad injuries. That doesn't take anything away from his legacy or his greatness as a player. Shearer and Henry are the two best strikers ever seen in the premier League in my opinion and the only player who looks likely to surpass them both is Kane. He already has a better goal scoring record than Henry.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur

I think the problem with some of these comparisons is that Totti for example did win trophies. He ultimately won the league, a couple of cups and the world cup and was vital to his team in those campaigns. Kane, so far, has won nothing. (Shearer has also won a league title).

I actually reckon Kane probably would be happy enough if he won a major trophy with Spurs, a major trophy with England and to beat Shearer's record. If that were to happen, perhaps he'd be happy to stay here for life.

Until then, its not surprising that a top sportsman like him would want to win trophies. Its not conjecture, its something he himself has said.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Really can't agree with that at all. Most people in the game agree that Shearer was one of the greatest strikers of his generation and an all time great premier League striker. He went to his boyhood club hoping to win things but they just fell short plus he had some bad injuries. That doesn't take anything away from his legacy or his greatness as a player. Shearer and Henry are the two best strikers ever seen in the premier League in my opinion and the only player who looks likely to surpass them both is Kane. He already has a better goal scoring record than Henry.
Shearer gets asked every year if he regrets not joining United. People always question his legacy despite that goal record, in a what could have been way. The same would be said of Kane. He's openly admitted he wants trophies too so I think even he knows it.

The Firestarter

The only teams I'd have as better than Tottenham in Europe for sure are Madrid and City. I think Liverpool have dropped a level and theirs and Spurs squads have a similar level. I'd put Munich in that category too. Spurs could easily win nothing and bottle competitions because its in their DNA. Ignoring their history, I've been very impressed with Conte and their signings. They've started with good results and Son hasn't even got going. I think some are underrating them here tbh.
:lol: :lol:

BorisManUtd

Think Kane shouldn't rush with signing new contract, instead wait until this season ends and then decide. I wouldn't leave Premier League if I was him anyways, he needs another 74 goals to become PL's all-time top goalscorer and that is huge achievement. There are probably 2 options: a. he stays at Spurs for another 4-5 years and breakes Shearer's record, while possibly winning some trophies b. he joins Liverpool, Chelsea (or even United if we improve under EtH) and wins some trophies while breaking Shearer's record.

Olmer

Maybe if this was the 90s and we were in Serie A, he would have a status not much lower than Batistuta.
But we're not living in the 90s. We're living in the post Messi/CR7 era, and people's standards are through the roof.

Immobile won the European Golden Boot and nobody outside of Italy cared.
Look at what Lewandowski did with his career, and still tons of Barcelona fans are now acting like they see him for the first time and are shocked that he actually can play great football.

Nowadays, if you want to be regarded as the best of the best, you need to do a lot. And I mean *A LOT*. Kane could go to Bayern and score 30+ league goals and 10+ CL goals every year there for the next 7 years, and still not gain that status. At least that's how I view this.

RonaldoVII

He'd be stupid to sign. City have Haaland and Liverpool have Nunez. If we get into top 4 I can see us having a chance at him. He won't want to go abroad surely.

FrankFoot

Supports
Neutral
Maybe if this was the 90s and we were in Serie A, he would have a status not much lower than Batistuta.
But we're not living in the 90s. We're living in the post Messi/CR7 era, and people's standards are through the roof.

Immobile won the European Golden Boot and nobody outside of Italy cared.
Look at what Lewandowski did with his career, and still tons of Barcelona fans are now acting like they see him for the first time and are shocked that he actually can play great football.

Nowadays, if you want to be regarded as the best of the best, you need to do a lot. And I mean *A LOT*. Kane could go to Bayern and score 30+ league goals and 10+ CL goals every year there for the next 7 years, and still not gain that status. At least that's how I view this.
Lewandowski is regarded as one the best, he is only outscored by Messi and Ronaldo in the CL btw.And should have won Balloon D'Or in 2020.

Barca fans knows him, he trashed them many times with Bayern.

His reputation is great.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
The world is too big of a place full of opportunities to spend your whole career at bloody Tottenham Hotspur. It reminds me of that Good Will Hunting scene where Ben Affleck tells Matt Damons character at the building site, if he's still there in 10 years its a insult to his talent and a waste of time.

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
Hypothetically we get to the summer of 2023, Kane is turning 30 and only has 1 year left on his deal - how much do we think Levy would ask for?

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
It would be dumb to sign a new deal right now but his brother is a complete idiot so it could definitely happen.

At a bare minimum, he should wait until Conte's himself signs a new contract and really commits to being at the club for 2-3 years beyond this one. The nightmare scenario for Kane is that he signs a new contract then Conte leaves next summer for greener pastures.

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
Realistically his options are Spurs or United and he should wait the season out to see who looks more likely to compete for the next 3 or 4 years after.

PedroMendez

Acolyte
Realistically his options are Spurs or United and he should wait the season out to see who looks more likely to compete for the next 3 or 4 years after.
if he becomes available (=he wants to leave), continental clubs would also be interested. Bayern already talked about him this summer and Real might be tempted to bring in a big name if the season isn't ending well. Even PSG might consider it depending on what happens with Messi and Neymar.

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
if he becomes available (=he wants to leave), continental clubs would also be interested. Bayern already talked about him this summer and Real might be tempted to bring in a big name if the season isn't ending well. Even PSG might consider it depending on what happens with Messi and Neymar.
I just can't see him leaving the PL personally. He will most likely be well over 200 goals by the end of this season, Shearer's record is beatable for him and I doubt he'd walk away from the chance to top it and be immortalized.

It depends where you are asking. In England, absolutely yes. In Europe, no, he's seen a bit like Immobile. Scores a lot, but who cares when it's not achieving anything.

He was a great player but I think it's perfectly valid to question his ambition and drive to perform at the very top of the game.