Harry Kane | "I will be staying at Tottenham this summer and will be 100% focused on helping the team achieve success."

Eddy_JukeZ

In fairness he had one year left on his contract and was available for 22m. It was an all or nothing go at the league for Fergie’s last season. Van Persie declined pretty sharply after the first 12 months but did exactly what he was bought for.
Yeah the situations in terms of fee/contract aren't the same, but RVP was aging and injury prone too.

Jezpeza

City all over it. His age vs price wouldnt bother me as his game isnt based on being a speed merchant but he is perfect fit at city and money is no object there, covid or not

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
It is going to depend on what he wants. Going to City basically guarantees him a trophy which is clearly what he wants and kind of needs at this stage in his career. United and Chelsea don't offer him that same 'guarantee' but a bloody good chance of it too and if he does it at either of those it might feel a little bit sweeter.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Yeah the situations in terms of fee/contract aren't the same, but RVP was aging and injury prone too.
I can see why you would be all for signing RVP but not Kane though.

Van Persie was the last piece of the jigsaw for us. We lost the league on goal difference the season before, so went and bought the leagues best striker. This summer we’re more in need of a centre back, a defensive midfielder and a winger before we even look in Kane’s direction. To blow all our cash on him would make no sense to me.

BeltUp

Supports
United
He will end up at Chelsea because:

1. They have the money
  2. They need a striker
  3. He will be the missing piece of the jigsaw

Eddy_JukeZ

I can see why you would be all for signing RVP but not Kane though.

Van Persie was the last piece of the jigsaw for us. We lost the league on goal difference the season before, so went and bought the leagues best striker. This summer we’re more in need of a centre back, a defensive midfielder and a winger before we even look in Kane’s direction. To blow all our cash on him would make no sense to me.
I wouldn't blow all our funds on Kane either, but maybe we can sell players to free up funds.

I still think goal-scoring is a problem for us. A lot of those draws this season could have been wins with the league's best striker.

sport2793

He's going to City but that's ok as that will give us a better shot at Haaland next summer. Would rather get Sancho, Rice, and a CB this summer if possible and Haaland next summer, will make us a better team in the long run rather than getting Kane and a developmental CB this summer.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
If he goes to City, it's actually an opportunity for us to get in the Halland race next year. Although the fact there's a release clause, you'd be safe putting your money on Chelsea there.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I wouldn't blow all our funds on Kane either, but maybe we can sell players to free up funds.

I still think goal-scoring is a problem for us. A lot of those draws this season could have been wins with the league's best striker.
Draws have certainly been the main issue with our league form I agree, but I don’t think it’s because we aren’t scoring enough. It’s because we’re conceding too many. There’s a set piece that ends up in our net like every game. Cavani, Greenwood, Bruno and Rashford are scoring for fun, but they must feel like they’re pissing in the wind sometimes. We might as well give the other team a 1 goal head start, the way we defend. Cut out those errors, and those draws turn into wins imo.

Mindhunter

Integrity?
What? He is moving to win trophies, not fight for top 4. As much as we dislike it, he is basically nailed down to win trophies at City. He will be a stuff of legend though if he signs for us and wins us the league - will be remembered for decades but I don't think he will take that risk.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
If we manage to include both players and get Kane that would be a deal of the cenurty. A steal.
Could be one of those rare occasions where the move works out for all parties but feels like there are so many variables that it's still unlikely. Suppose there's an outside chance.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
If he's going, it'll be to City, but he has three years left on his contract so I can see Levy digging in and making it pretty much impossible for him to leave unless they get an absurdly high offer, or something including multiple players as their chances of getting Champions League football without Kane is severely diminished.

0le

It is City or abroad. He is never going to join Chelsea.

Mainoldo

Don’t see how anyone can afford him unless Spurs are dropping the price to £90m.

Roboc7

If he is as eager to leave as is being suggested then surely he’s been tapped up by City, don’t believe he’d be as desperate to come to us or Chelsea.

I know Levy drives hard bargain but this is last chance Spurs will get to demand such a big fee for him. Combined with costs of new stadium, COVID and fact they need a good few signings it kind of makes sense to sell him now if get a decent offer.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Honestly, considering he's been part of the Spurs 'project' for sometime now I don't think he would necessarily want to dive head first into another one.
He's 28yrs old, one of the best forwards in the world and has won nothing.

Sure, I'd like to think Kane would do a Batistuta and join at team who're on the cusp of something great but I just cant see it.

City are the most obvious destination for Kane but it still wouldn't surprise me, as they have shown in the past, that they may pull out of a potential deal if things get alittle obscene.

Coops73

This has got City written all over it, with Aguero leaving and Oles obvious admiration for Haaland, coupled with the fact that we’ve just signed Cavani for another year, I can’t see why we’d be in for him.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
In isolation whether we sign Kane or not doesn't particularly bother me, even though I think CF is an issue for us. It's not like we don't have other issues, after all.

However, the thought of City signing Kane does worry me. They are currently better than us and the goal is to overtake them next season. That becomes a hell of a lot harder if they fix the glaring fault in their side by bringing in the league's top CF.

We can close some of the gap by strengthening other positions, like CB or CM. But I struggle to see those improvements having a greater impact than Kane arriving as CF in City's team would.

The Purley King

I don’t want us to see martial in a Utd shirt again so £75m + martial seems right.
Maybe even a cheeky 442 for us next year if cavani is fit for most of it........ Kane seems to play half the game in midfield lately anyway

foolsgold

I'd struggle with the suggested 100m+ fee at this point. I'm not convinced that he's someone that will be like Cavani into his mid 30s.

Couple of years ago? Sure, but I don't think he's the strategic long term signing for us. .

croadyman

In isolation whether we sign Kane or not doesn't particularly bother me, even though I think CF is an issue for us. It's not like we don't have other issues, after all.

However, the thought of City signing Kane does worry me. They are currently better than us and the goal is to overtake them next season. That becomes a hell of a lot harder if they fix the glaring fault in their side by bringing in the league's top CF.

We can close some of the gap by strengthening other positions, like CB or CM. But I struggle to see those improvements having a greater impact than Kane arriving as CF in City's team would.
Yeah I feel proper torn because there is no doubt we have more pressing issues than signing him but would be gutted if he ends up being the reason that they equal our treble next season or worse become the first english team to do the quadruple

Blueman

Supports
Man City
City all over it. His age vs price wouldnt bother me as his game isnt based on being a speed merchant but he is perfect fit at city and money is no object there, covid or not
You couldnt be further from the truth imo. City are not going to pay the £120m that levy screws out of the deal, we dont do that (Although I can see it happening soon). He doesnt fit into a City team that plays more midfield-quality oriented attackers, hes a striker whilst we play false 9 mostly. And he's too talll for a city team ;)

Hawks2008

Go all in even if there's just a 1% chance. Would be all we need to make a legit title challenge.

macheda14

You couldnt be further from the truth imo. City are not going to pay the £120m that levy screws out of the deal, we dont do that (Although I can see it happening soon). He doesnt fit into a City team that plays more midfield-quality oriented attackers, hes a striker whilst we play false 9 mostly. And he's too talll for a city team ;)
Harry Kane drops deep very often and provides. He's almost perfect for you in his current style of play.

croadyman

I think his willingness to join you means the deal is going to be less than that figure and despite Talksport generally being wrong about transfers in the past I fear they are absolutely bang on about you guys being his preferred choice

Jezpeza

He has Played a lot of deep stuff this season. As an added factor, I could see you signing him just to stop Chelsea signing him as well.

lilcurt

Go all in even if there's just a 1% chance. Would be all we need to make a legit title challenge.
What have you watched us. Having Kane is no different to having Cavani... We will still be massively lacking another top CB, have two poor holding midfielders and don't have anyone decent to naturally play off the right.

It would also really stunt the development of Mason who for my money, can be a world class forward if developed right.

Eternitiy

What have you watched us. Having Kane is no different to having Cavani... We will still be massively lacking another top CB, have two poor holding midfielders and don't have anyone decent to naturally play off the right.

It would also really stunt the development of Mason who for my money, can be a world class forward if developed right.
You'll seriously say no to a player in his prime years who has been one of the best strikers in England and world football over the past half decade? That is just madness, in my opinion.